Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Saravan

Savant
Thank you Ontopoly for reigniting this thread. If I were to look up the definition of guerilla marketing your avatar would pop up. Salutations.

deuxhero

Arcane
https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/news/dungeons-dragons-canon-roleplaying-game-novels/?
"For many years, we in the Dungeons & Dragons RPG studio have considered things like D&D novels, D&D video games, D&D comic books, as wonderful expressions of D&D storytelling and D&D lore, but they are not canonical for the D&D roleplaying game," Crawford said. "Part of that is we don’t want DMs to feel that in order to run the game, they need to read a certain set of novels. We want you to read them for the joy of reading them, but not as homework."

How the fuck does that work? You can't just say "novels aren't canon" to FR when they clearly are. It's not like Eberron, which decided from the start that events of fiction and modules only existed in direct sequels or the same "living" campaign, or even Dark Sun, where there's only one set of terrible novels that came after all the splat. FR is full of novels and in the source books there are plenty of references to the events of those novels.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/news/dungeons-dragons-canon-roleplaying-game-novels/?
"For many years, we in the Dungeons & Dragons RPG studio have considered things like D&D novels, D&D video games, D&D comic books, as wonderful expressions of D&D storytelling and D&D lore, but they are not canonical for the D&D roleplaying game," Crawford said. "Part of that is we don’t want DMs to feel that in order to run the game, they need to read a certain set of novels. We want you to read them for the joy of reading them, but not as homework."

How the fuck does that work? You can't just say "novels aren't canon" to FR when they clearly are. It's not like Eberron, which decided from the start that events of fiction and modules only existed in direct sequels or the same "living" campaign, or even Dark Sun, where there's only one set of terrible novels that came after all the splat. FR is full of novels and in the source books there are plenty of references to the events of those novels.
They also said that pre 5e sourcebooks aren't canon. Bascially Forgotten Realms up to and including 4E is now a separate continuity. You can set your campaign there if you want, but you can't expect new products to develop the setting further.

Vatnik Wumao
How the fuck does that work?
Laughs in Disney.

It's such a bullshit excuse though. It's not like you can't have lore books that serve as generalist encyclopedias which are updated from time to time (coinciding with the release of various TTRPG editions) that take into account the overarching lore spread across other canon-building works (i.e. footnotes "if you want to learn more about X, see Y novel and Z secondary lore compendium").

I tend to agree that video games and comic books should not be part of the canon though (which is not to say that they can't be subsequently legitimized as canon through books that reference the events described therein).

Codex Year of the Donut

They also said that pre 5e sourcebooks aren't canon. Bascially Forgotten Realms up to and including 4E is now a separate continuity. You can set your campaign there if you want, but you can't expect new products to develop the setting further.
Not surprising, one of the 5e designers(can't remember who) directly insulted people who preferred older editions of D&D.

Saravan

Savant
Are you thinking the one of Merals saying earlier editions were "games for assholes" because they were customizable?

Pretty sure M. Mearls said that because he wanted to pivot DnD towards woke culture and perceived earlier editions to be populated by white-male gatekeepers. Basically he feared DnD was getting out of touch with the modern mainstream. Just my armchair analysis though.

Does this game has some cities/towns and taverns now?
So far it has just three things VAGUELY resembling a settlement:
1- a druid grove with something like 20 druids and 20 tieflings, give or take.
2- A goblin camp where assuming you manage to infiltrate without opening hostilities from the get go you'll get a whole lot of goblins, a hobgoblin, a drow and couple of vendors.
3- A fungal colony in the underdark, with tons of humanoid fungi, spore-infested zombie slaves and a couple of vendors.

Nothing like a proper town or city that you can reach yet. And definitely no tavern yet.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
From the perspective of a Baldurs Gate fan, can anyone actually tell me why this game would appeal to you?

Honestly, I only see larian cultists DOS2 fans chilling this game. Except by the name, I don't see anything from BG1/2 in this game.

) directly insulted people who preferred older editions of D&D.

Here is why the 2nd edition is the best > https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/why-d-d-2e-is-the-best-edition-ever.138042/#post-7260163

TL;DR - More immersive rules and a lot of iconic interesting settings.

IMO consistency of rules and mechanics is top priority in any RPG. GURPS, Mage: The Ascension, Vampire : The masquarede, Vampire : The requiem, D&D up to 3rd edition, Pathfinder 1E, all retroclones, LotFP, Hyperborea, S&W(which I played and sadly my group disbanded), all of this RPG's are amazing. I only hate D&D 4e and dislike a bit 5E. D&D 4E is generic wow clone : tabletop edition.

SoupNazi

How the fuck does that work? You can't just say "novels aren't canon" to FR when they clearly are.
In short: you don't need to know what the canon is in order to be able to play DnD.
Yeah, I was gonna say that. I don't follow the politics shit when it comes to D&D but to me, that just sounds like stopping asshole players telling the DM who thought up a story without reading some shitty, obscure D&D book "uh, buddy, that can't happen, because in the year 456, Drizzt eradicated all the pink dragons, lol, duh, read the books"

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Which is why it's actually good

Why not use a more honest tile? Like DOS2 clone : Forgotten realms edition. This game is to the BG name what Arcania is to Gothic name. IMO without mods to fix the Larienism of the game, doesn't worth. Is like arcania. This game wouldn't be worth your money even if it shipped with booze and hookers. Yes, it's that bad.

Give me one quote from this thread that you consider to be shilling for BG3. Genuinely curious how the Lich King defines this term.

See rusty last post. For him, a BG sequel not being like BG and being more like DOS2 is a good thing

PS : I am not a "lich king". Lichdoom is too risky.

Saravan

Savant
Which is why it's actually good

Why not use a more honest tile? Like DOS2 clone : Forgotten realms edition. This game is to the BG name what Arcania is to Gothic name.

Give me one quote from this thread that you consider to be shilling for BG3. Genuinely curious how the Lich King defines this term.

See rusty last post. For him, a BG sequel not being like BG and being more like DOS2 is a good thing

PS : I am not a "lich king". Lich is too risky.

So basically a joke? Nothing like "Kingmaker is a solid contender to great C&C games" shilling?

Vatnik Wumao
How the fuck does that work? You can't just say "novels aren't canon" to FR when they clearly are.
In short: you don't need to know what the canon is in order to be able to play DnD.
Yeah, I was gonna say that. I don't follow the politics shit when it comes to D&D but to me, that just sounds like stopping asshole players telling the DM who thought up a story without reading some shitty, obscure D&D book "uh, buddy, that can't happen, because in the year 456, Drizzt eradicated or the pink dragons, lol, duh, read the books"
I see nothing wrong with that sort of pedantry. If your DM wants to run his homebrew while sticking for the most part to the canon, that's ok; if some player wants to stick by the lore though, that's ok too.

If learning the lore is too hard for some people, then they should stick to GURPS & co. (or acknowledge that their campaign is a homebrew within a preexisting setting ergo not fully in synch with the canon) rather than being such spoilsports for those that do care about it.

deuxhero

Arcane
Yeah, I was gonna say that. I don't follow the politics shit when it comes to D&D but to me, that just sounds like stopping asshole players telling the DM who thought up a story without reading some shitty, obscure D&D book "uh, buddy, that can't happen, because in the year 456, Drizzt eradicated all the pink dragons, lol, duh, read the books"

At that point, why not just play a good setting? Forgotten Realms and maybe Dragonlance are the only settings that have to deal with this. Planescape, Ravenloft, and Dark Sun have only a small number of books that are universally ignored for being crap, Spelljammer has one comic series that's OK but totally unimportant in the grand scheme of things, Eberron has decent books that were written with the intent they weren't canon.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

Saravan

Savant
From the perspective of a Baldurs Gate fan, can anyone actually tell me why this game would appeal to you?

Honestly, I only see larian cultists DOS2 fans chilling this game.

But for real though. Give me one quote from this thread that you consider to be shilling for BG3. Genuinely curious how the Lich King defines this term.
Anything Rusty says.

Yeah but the Lich King spoke in plurals. Besides pointing at Rusty is low effort, he's just a master troll.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom