Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heh, when I got 802 skill points I could choose that skill.

But spend all those skill points and then risk not getting Max Me Out? That's the question.
Being able to walk through walls will be extremely useful in combat at this stage (Dwarf Mines), when my Speed is too low to get initiative, but getting MMO may be better in the long run. Oh well, I'm still surviving, so I'll wait.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I can't help about your specific Stride skill point, I have no idea.

It's possible that I never got Stride, and I kind of remember quests giving more and more points so buying some cheap one is not a huge deal, although' I'm saying that while I remember stocking points so maybe I barely bought anything else than Max Me Out, if I even ever did, I don't remember if you can get some of those by other means, and I've got only 51 skill points left at the end, if that's what the skill point part of the sheet means. I can't remember exactly how it works but I think that Max me out is worth it, I wonder if it's linked with spells, because I did not remember using spells at all during the game, so I don't know why I've got 255 in spells.

I can't remember if the Yes in the sheet includes what you get from items, but anyway here's that part of my sheet at the very end of the game :
sbrihrY.png

Well, I found out that you learn all the skills late in game, Spell Casting 255 from a book, and in the end you even learn Max Me Out.
You must have missed some content if you didn't have all the Lord Skills. And did you use Max Me Out?

This is how my character looked at the end, before killing Doom:
PRDyJEQ.jpg

8rNtd6h.jpg

So it turns out I didn't need to hoard them skill points, but could have used them while the game was still challenging.
In the end things got too easy. The combination of Create Steel Wall and the Stride Skill meant not a single enemy could hurt me unless they got initiative. But the two bosses who did get initiative couldn't do enough damage to be a threat.

All in all a very enjoyable game, especially considering it's so obscure.
Lots of content; it took me about two weeks to complete, which is a bit above average even for a professional game.

The story was surprisingly rich, but in a kitchen sink kind of way, although the writing was quite good for an amateur (far better than most story driven HoMM maps, for example). There's the protagonist with A Mysterious Past who is The Chosen One. There are The Ancients, demon invasions, astral realms and time travel.

Explorationwise it was rather weak; no fog of war on the Overland. I liked that you could cast a spell to find out the monster levels of an area, like in the Phantasie games.

Items were quite good. It's a bit lame that most of the good stuff are from shops, and you can "shop spam" to get the best items from each shop. OTOH monsters leave more random items than I first thought, and you can find some really powerful items if lucky. I got the Cosmic Knight Armor from one of the mid level bosses, for example.

Combat is very good for a single character game, with lots of options.
It's a bit like an old game like Demon's Winter, only with much more options. It provides a decent challenge for most of the games, especially in those periods when you don't have a melee weapon strong enough to hurt your enemies.
On the downside things get a bit unbalanced when you can buy the rechargable Book of Creatures and Book of Steel Walls. The former summons allies from among the strongest generic monsters in the game, while the latter means you can be completely safe, since none of your enemies have high enough Stride or Architect skill to penetrate it. There's also no special boss abilities which makes the end game anticlimactic combatwise.
There's a decent array of spells, but for some reason there's no non-damage area effect spells.

All in all a very solid game (with a few balance problems) which more people should try, especially if they like tactical combat and character development. Not very suitable for the C&C-fags, and too much and too hard combat for the storyfags.

War of the Arthropods. As a valiant spider warrior you fight against legions of ants, mosquitos, bugs and more to save the day and make your spider general proud. As you increase your level and gain experience you'll learn cool spider-techniques like biting enemies to gain HP, capture them in your net, poison them with your fangs and much more. Can it get more obscure than that? Sure it can! The game runs on your trusty old TI-89 Titanium calculator! Looks a bit crappy (what do you expect from a game written in TI-Basic?) but is actually a pretty good and original game.

arthropodscfjnh.png

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now this is obscure.

Said CRPG Addict:
A commenter on the Internet Archive site for the game claims that the game was never published, and that the developer just made a few boxed copies for friends, one of which made its way to the archive.org contributor.

Yea, i posted about it last year after it was mentioned by LGR (someone sent it to him). I found it a neat little game for its time, but for best results it should be played in 86box or PCem (or a real IBM PC :-P).

I have been playing a recent Switch translation of a very obscure Playstation game: Kowloon High School. It has challenging combat, good characters and an interesting plot about collecting treasures. A great game, reminiscent of Persona and Grandia and a nice look at an obscure series.

Narushima

Cipher
I don't think so. He did play some old RPGs from that era, but this entry is about those he can't play, and possibly no one can.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Has anyone tried this game? 2nd Circle - Powerful Magic

They try to sell you merchandise at the first screenshot.

:hype:

Good God, that looks utterly craptastic. That's definitively obscure, but not in a good way. Makes me nauseous looking at the screenshots alone.

What if I told You, that behind this Gray, Cold World, is a World of Magic.
:? Hmm... you know somehow I immediately feel that weird masochistic urge to purchase this game AND one of these shirts just to feel the "Magic"...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom