Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Final Fantasy VI worth playing?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
OP is not worthy of playing FF6. Begone.

VII has too many haters to be overrated.

FF7 is good but I find it too much of an eyesore to play anymore. It's not just an ugly game now it was an ugly game when it came out, only the CG movies and battle graphics were semi-good.

In that regard all the 16 bit games hold up better, FF6 much better than FF7. I actually like FF8 the most out of the PSX trilogy.

JDR13

Arcane
Everyone always talks about that damn opera scene and how great it is. I think it's shit. It sounds like shit, it's boring, and it feels like it drags on forever. FFVI is absolutely the most overrated game in the series and possibly the most overrated game of all time that isn't some kind of mobileshit or similar shovelware.

When are you going to change your avatar pic so you don't look like the head of a penis?

Don't get me wrong, it fits you. It's just kind of annoying to look at.

It's revealed through a line by an NPC in Vector that Kefka was the first subject to undergo the experimental process of becoming a Magitek Knight and that's pretty much what caused him to go mad to the extent that he did.
He just had one bad day.

Not only that, Shinra had its own 'LULZ EVIL' moments like, I dunno, dropping an entire section of their city onto the slums just to kill like 5 people?
Killing them would be nice but it was mostly to frame the entire group as terrorists (which they are, but not that kind). Avalanche is more numerous than it looks, we just focus on the main cast and the rest are masked randoms.

AvalancheFighters.jpg

~I wear my sunglasses at night~

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Good points all.
So many friends(in the past) around me have gushed about FF I feared I was missing out on this masterpiece/experience, but when I look at screen shots FF looks well TBH...shit.

I first heard about the Final Fantasy series in a magazine for the Super Nintendo with carefully selected choice screenshots of FF3 (VI) when it was first released in the states and I was impressed, deluding myself that if i got the game, I'd be seeing the next generation (or maybe even 3 or 4 generations forward) of graphics in computer/video gaming; then I buy the game, pop it into my SNES, saw the opening scene, and I actually thought I got some kind of inferior, total shit port of the game I saw in that magazine, or at least some type of grossly reduced pirated/bootleg version. Then I played the game in earnest and it took hold and gameplay willed out over graphics and I just had to accept that it wasn't going to be the quantum leap forward in graphics that magazine review suggested. So yeah; graphics aren't all that in FFVI.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
If a magazine was able to trick you into thinking Final Fantasy VI was cutting edge graphically relative to computer games being released in 1994 by using screenshots from the actual game, that's a credit to the impressiveness of the graphics that FFVI did manage to create on the SNES (Super Famicom), which was originally released in 1990 in Japan and was not technically capable of matching 1994's cutting edge PC graphics powered by "SVGA" and CD-ROMs. :M

mogwaimon

Magister
It's revealed through a line by an NPC in Vector that Kefka was the first subject to undergo the experimental process of becoming a Magitek Knight and that's pretty much what caused him to go mad to the extent that he did.
He just had one bad day.

Not only that, Shinra had its own 'LULZ EVIL' moments like, I dunno, dropping an entire section of their city onto the slums just to kill like 5 people?
Killing them would be nice but it was mostly to frame the entire group as terrorists (which they are, but not that kind). Avalanche is more numerous than it looks, we just focus on the main cast and the rest are masked randoms.

AvalancheFighters.jpg

~I wear my sunglasses at night~

I don't trust the 'remake' for anything and you shouldn't either. In the original game it was basically just Barret, Tifa, Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie. That was it, Barret was the leader of the group. The remake also twisted some parts of the story around regarding Shinra's actions during Midgar as well, notably with them actively detonating the bomb in the first factory when it proves to be a dud just to set Avalanche up as a terrorist organization...when they already own the city and have everyone in their pockets so don't really need to actually take a hit to attack Avalanche to begin with...either way, we're talkin the originals here, not the remake.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
If a magazine was able to trick you into thinking Final Fantasy VI was cutting edge graphically relative to computer games being released in 1994 by using screenshots from the actual game, that's a credit to the impressiveness of the graphics that FFVI did manage to create on the SNES (Super Famicom), which was originally released in 1990 in Japan and was not technically capable of matching 1994's cutting edge PC graphics powered by "SVGA" and CD-ROMs. :M

Back then, I was susceptible to screenshots in magazines making me think video/PC games were virtually on the verge of virtual reality because I didn't have an actual reference point or the hardware to verify anything. So I'd see screenshots from, say, the IBM PC version of Face-Off from 1990 or something on the back of some magazine and think graphics in games had reached the point where they were on the level of the best CGI at the time. In the case of those FF3's screenshots, I think the pixel art was first rate and since I didn't know that it was limited animation using turn-based I might have gotten the impression from those shots that everything was fully animated.

When I got an Amiga then my first PC compatible, I was surprised to see just how backwards the technology in game graphics actually was for many years. Of course, the magazines & the PR knew exactly how to make things look much more advanced than they actually were. But I didn't consider FF3 particularly sophisticated in that area until I got further into the game and saw my first high quality pixel/scanned art, Mode 7 stuff, etc but it still didn't seem like leaps & bounds ahead of anything, just moderately ground-breaking

JDR13

Arcane
Back then, I was susceptible to screenshots in magazines making me think video/PC games were virtually on the verge of virtual reality because I didn't have an actual reference point or the hardware to verify anything. So I'd see screenshots from, say, the IBM PC version of Face-Off from 1990 or something on the back of some magazine and think graphics in games had reached the point where they were on the level of the best CGI at the time. In the case of those FF3's screenshots, I think the pixel art was first rate and since I didn't know that it was limited animation using turn-based I might have gotten the impression from those shots that everything was fully animated.

You don't need to explain anything to us bro. You weren't the only one fapping to those shots of Terra and Celes.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I hate JRPGs. Can FFVI be played in its own right, or will it reek too much of a JRPG?

They're not for s like you. You don't get to play Japanese games, you don't deserve to. You need to EARN the right to play based Japanese games. Westerns like you deserve your ed shit, and you deserve your groveling Western devs. You are banished from this tribe, and we will permanently revoke your ability to play Japanese games and leave you in the world of shit of the Western s, rooting around in the dirt trying to justify why Outer Worlds women are ugly and have bad hair cuts.

You have to EARN the right to play BASED JAPANESE GAMES and we don't take refugees, no Western cuck migrants accepted. Go wallow in your world of Western SJW bullshit forever you piece of shit.

Tigranes

Arcane
I hate JRPGs. Can FFVI be played in its own right, or will it reek too much of a JRPG?

They're not for s like you. You don't get to play Japanese games, you don't deserve to. You need to EARN the right to play based Japanese games. Westerns like you deserve your ed shit, and you deserve your groveling Western devs. You are banished from this tribe, and we will permanently revoke your ability to play Japanese games and leave you in the world of shit of the Western s, rooting around in the dirt trying to justify why Outer Worlds women are ugly and have bad hair cuts.

You have to EARN the right to play BASED JAPANESE GAMES and we don't take refugees, no Western cuck migrants accepted. Go wallow in your world of Western SJW bullshit forever you piece of shit.

Cringe.

Ash

Arcane
FF6 is the embodiment of a typical JRPG, and if anything takes JRPGs worst tropes and indulges in them.

The first 5 hours are essentially entirely scripted, with barely any room for exploration. Even the fights are heavily scripted, with the game constantly pulling out conversations and suchlike mid-fight. Backtracking is plentiful, and whereas most JRPGS follow a pattern of "town-dungeon-explore", this spends a big chunk of the game chopping between "script-battle-script-battle".

There's JRPGs out there which offer enough to be worth playing if you don't like the format. Lufia 2 is a good example of one who's dungeons and puzzles make it stand out from the standard JRPG fair. Tales of Berseria another who's party banter and action based combat would make it one I'd consider even if I didn't like JRPGs.

But FF6 is a far cry from anything like that. It plays itself for a large portion of the game, and as a fan of JRPGs I recently replayed it for the 3rd time in my life, and struggled like hell to finish it.

TL-DR - Avoid.

Bullshit. This thread is trash.

This is FF6's gameplay over time, originally posted for Crosscode in the respective thread:

SGSMZbI.png

There is nothing STANDARD about it. Many JRPGs do not feature this curve, they are beyond linear, zero systems to play with, zero attempt to feature any form of gameplay beyond mindless battles. Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Suikoden, Valkyria Chronicles, Breath of Fire and many more. They are irredeemable on rails shit.

FF6, while no poster child for JRPG gameplay, is above the average. Even from the start there is optional content (hidden items to find in environment) and level design is not 100% linear. Over time it only gets more involved. You get espers, relics, side quests, and SHOCK -- actual dungeon design with puzzle elements and pose a navigation challenge (e.g Magitek Reseach Facility), tons of hidden content like discovering Sabin's Blitz moves or getting the chainsaw from Zozo. Unique gameplay events appear many times throughout the story, such as talking to everybody before the timer expires for special rewards at the Emperor's Banquet in vector. The Auction House. The colosseum. Actual semi-meaningful build choices between Espers, Magic learning progression + stat boosts, relics, and equipment. This isn't much but it's above the JRPG standard that is *nothing* like in those aforementioned games.
Even the choice whose story to follow next when your party gets split up in the serpent trench early on is a somewhat interesting one and is just one more example that Square went above the average JRPG borefest.

You point out Lufia 2 as some kind of notable alternative (LOL) yet consistently puzzling clever dungeon design is literally all the game has, otherwise it is irredeemable shit. And even then FF6 has numerous dungeons with pretty good design and puzzles. Again, Magitek Research Facility is fun, others include Phoenix Cave (which features puzzles involving three seperate partys you have to make, utilizing ALL characters), The final Dungeon has a bunch of cool puzzle elements, The Esper Cave, even the Phantom Train has a bunch of interesting tricks and traps, choices and interactions despite being a train and therefore on rails quite literally.

Come on. The codex is better than this. Final Fantasy 5-9 offer pretty decent gameplay way above the average JRPG, even if they're a little easy combat-wise (get Hardtype mods). That's the only way in which it is standard.

As for is it worth playing? Yes, it is. But I'd recommend newcomers perhaps start with 7 first for a few reasons. Do not go past 9 (they become excessively animu and declined) or below 5 (too simple gameplay-wise, much like the standard JRPG)

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
I actually liked FFVI and i'm not really a fan of the genre. Actually cool how the world keeps getting worse during the course of the story.

Unwanted
FF7 is good but I find it too much of an eyesore to play anymore. It's not just an ugly game now it was an ugly game when it came out, only the CG movies and battle graphics were semi-good.

Play the original on a CRT and say that again to my face mf

in b4 "muh models"

nothing wrong with chibi

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
FF6 is by far the most overrated shit JRPG I ever played. It kept the silliness added by FF5 but ditched the fun job system.
If you want to play a 16bit era FF game, choose FF4 or 5.

Ash

Arcane
Lol FF4. WHY? The game belongs in the category of dead simple JRPG gameplay I mentioned above. It's so fucking boring, nothing to do except mediocre battles. WTF is wrong with you nitwits.

FF5 however, yeah it's awesome. Added loads of cool shit and was the first in the series that was actually any good.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Lol FF4. WHY? The game belongs in the category of dead simple JRPG gameplay I mentioned above. It's so fucking boring, nothing to do except mediocre battles. WTF is wrong with you nitwits.

FF5 however, yeah it's awesome. Added loads of cool shit and was the first in the series that was actually any good.
My point is that FF6 is equally linear and boring. At least FF4 has a somewhat "serious" storyline.

Ash

Arcane
Your point is dumb and wrong, because they're not equivalent gameplay-wise at all. Like not even close. However, FF6 does take a stupidly long time to get going and become interesting gameplay-wise, so I figure people that claim it is standard JRPG shit equivalent to FF4 and other painfully basic jrpgs simply gave up before it got interesting.

And I agree in terms of RPG systems the FF5 job system is way better than anything in FF6, yet FF6 is still leagues above FF4's pitiful gameplay.
There's also irony in bashing FF6 for removing FF5's job system when FF4 removed FF3's job system, and worse, had absolutely nothing to offer in its place (except muh "mature" or "serious" story, lol you guys have to be kidding).

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
FF4 is ok but 6 is better. 5 is better gameplay wise due to choosing jobs but the story is a little childish.

Ash

Arcane
Childish but nonetheless fun. Childish in a mostly non-cringey way. I don't see any problem.

Usually when talking about Japanese media and childish content, I picture obscenely cringey anime shit. Thankfully that's not really FF5, its style of humor and childishness is quite unique. Sure the story lacks the depth seen in other FF or RPGs in general, but I value the charm and humor almost all the same.

FF5 > FF6 ...though mostly because of the job system. 6 is superior in most other ways.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Valkyria Chronicles
I brofisted this post for trashing on Chrono Trigger and BoF, but aren't you confusing this with something else? The fact that this game isn't even remotely similar to a standard JRPG already sets it apart from the other titles you've mentioned, regardless of the execution.

Ash

Arcane
To be fair, I didn't play enough Valkyria to offer any kind of objective or informed insight, and should have omitted it. I apologize for that. Just to be clear, by standard I am referring to level of gameplay depth, engagement and overall value. Not the style of gameplay. I played Valkyria and was underwhelmed, but it is quite possible it got more engaging over time, or another game in the series delivers while the one I played did not.
I did play the others listed (e.g CT, FF4, BoF4, Earthbound) all the way through and they are not for gameplay enthusiasts whatsoever. A far cry from the 90s FF games that came after 4.

Tangent: Boggles my mind that so many people claim Chrono Trigger is the best jRPG let alone RPG evar. It's so fucking boring and minimalist. At least FF4 has somewhat challenging combat if nothing more, CT doesn't even have that. Sure it has the occasional mini-game but they're all really quite shit and they never tie into the core gameplay (combat) via rewards like the mini-games in 90s FF do (which is something that makes the shittier mini-games easier to stomach). Sure it has an overworld/world map, but there's absolutely nothing to discover in it beyond where the story guides you. It is simply set dressing. I get it, the game has charming music/characters/art/story, but that is something pretty much every Squaresoft game had and is in no way unique. Quite possibly the single most overrated game of the 90s, and a game for people that don't really like video games. Even Tamagotchi had arguably better gameplay. You're under no illusion there is or could be anything more to it down the line, and it doesn't waste your time with boring "combat" and minigames.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom