Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GURPS and other generic gaming rule sets

MisterStone

Arcane
I recently became interested in PnP RPG rules systems, and checked out GURPS lite (available for free from Steve Jackson's online store). I guess the rules seem pretty flexible, easy to use and simple, but I was wondering: is the real GURPS rule set a little bit more complicated than this (the mechanics basically come down the skill roles, reaction roles, and damage rolls, that's it!), or is it the same core rules with lots of more optional stuff and guidelines in place? Don't get me wrong, it seems like a well designed set of basic rules, but it is of course very bare bones and minimalistic.

Also, are there other really good generic RPG rule sets out there, either free or otherwise? What would you recommend for a game that would include a wide variety of characters of widely varying physical sizes and abilities, as well as an in depth melee combat system?

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Standard, old fashioned d6 is pretty good, I guess. It's an older system and has largely fallen out of favor, but it does its job quick and clean. I'd recommend it for a group of new pnp players for the most part.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
heh, played star wars d6 back in the days. the concept of advanced skills was the only likeable thing about that system.
anyways, browsercrash killed long post. here is a really short one.
MisterStone said:
What would you recommend for a game that would include a wide variety of characters of widely varying physical sizes and abilities, as well as an in depth melee combat system?
riddle of steel has nice melee combat, but only for fantasy settings.
one roll engine can be tweaked for various settings/styles easily, and can be fairly deep if you use reign supplement 11 ideas.
the normal gurps ruleset is quite nice in that regard, and while yes, it essentially is the lite rules with tons of optional stuff, you might actually want to borrow the 4th ed basic books from someone or torrent them and read the sections on character development, techniques, special combat situations, injuries, the extended advantages and disadvantages lists, and see what a huge difference that optional stuff makes.

Hory

Erudite
genreDiversion is my favorite - light, gritty and cheap.

Panthera

Scholar
Basically, GURPS uses the basic rolling system and expands it out to potentially insane amounts of detail. Add-ons like GURPS: Martial Arts add additional maneuvers to melee and ranged combat. Other expansions can add detail in any which way they please.

All detail is optional. The nice thing about GURPS is that it's scalable - you can expand or contract the amount of detail to suit the campaign in a way that D&D will never manage.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
SuicideBunny said:
heh, played star wars d6 back in the days. the concept of advanced skills was the only likeable thing about that system.

True enough, I suppose. It took me a while to remember all of the house rules that my grou played with. We basically only used d6 when we got burned out on D&D and wanted to do a fast, low-rules one off adventure.

GURPS is probably your best bet by far, MisterStone.

ushdugery

Scholar
Low rules is good because you can expand and adapt it to more set house rules when you need it and because you're there in the flesh there's more flexibility vampire (as long as you're not a lame emo larping group) is quite fun for this reason.

MisterStone

Arcane
I grew up playing rules dense games, so I am kind of leery when it comes to low rules, heavy RP mechanics. I guess I more of a strategic gamer at heart even though I haven't played any strategic combat games to speak of except CarWars.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
seems like riddle of steel with flower of battle might be your thing then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom