Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Monomyth now on Kickstarter

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codex fundraiser to create an NPC from scratch (600 rheingold)? :M

1000 to create a quest, but also says "all of the above" so does that also mean creating an NPC from scratch?
edit: yes it does I missed the infographic before

codex fundraiser when? Infinitron DarkUnderlord

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Nice to see so many backers. Hopefully, this turns out well so that when I get it at a discount on Steam I have fun playing it

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Good point, I've fixed it.

Also:
MonomythDonation.png

I'm getting ahead of the curve on this one.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
for the discord, maybe he just want to control the population who's going to be there; also less people means less moderation work.
Its probably a double edged sword; this way he only gets people who are really invested in the game and likely have the same vision, which cuts down on the noise. However, there is then the risk of a lack of diversity leading to a niche outcome with potentially serious lapses in some aspects. May not be fatal if your niche is still enough of a market to be economically successful. However, it can still lead to a lot of noise in reviews by people who don't fit the demographic and bought it anyway, which eventually may turn off even your target audience once it gets bad enough. e.g. About the time you hit "mixed" on Steam.

Man, I am glad I am not an indie game developer; its a fucking thin tightrope to have to walk.
Discord is full time job because discord being discord you'll get your server full of groomers or memers or nsfw in no time. I think dev just does not want to "hire" volunteers or actually hire someone to monitor that crap. That way he control the flow with minimal upkeep time. I support his decision to get $ while at it too.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I would have backed, but then I saw the stretch goals. Just give us a decent dungeon crawler with tunnels and baddies and glowing mushrooms and lava and spells... :negative:

Weeeeell... I don't think we need to worry too much about the goals.

Also you should probably somehow promote the fact that there is a campaign.
https://rpgcodex.net/campaigns.php?id=30

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Updated my pledge from 15 to 25. You deserve more money for this. I think you're selling yourself short. This deserves more than 15 Euros. This is really great.

EC1zniS.png

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would have backed, but then I saw the stretch goals. Just give us a decent dungeon crawler with tunnels and baddies and glowing mushrooms and lava and spells... :negative:

Weeeeell... I don't think we need to worry too much about the goals.

Also you should probably somehow promote the fact that there is a campaign.
https://rpgcodex.net/campaigns.php?id=30
I feel like people don't even know we have a front page. And that hurts.

I DID MY PART!!

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
The demo is awesome, except my pc flying up 5 cm in the air cause of the fans spinning .There's also something odd happening at startup, i had a message error not finding VR headset..Launching steam vr get rid of the message, but sadly there's no vr mode. What an opportunity missed in the strecth goals , voice acting is unimportant , but having a vr mode on this is a lot more interisting.
Now how a game done will a lone guy, looking better than underworld ascendant will release in a less than on year? We have quite a few nutjob developpers on the codex, like cleve and pierre, but is he the good kind of nutjob 100% focused on his work ?
When its too good to be true , it usually is.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I concur, I don't really care about voice acting. It's expensive and in the end doesn't add that much. Text is fine in a game like this. I would much prefer to see better animations.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Voice acting is a dilemma for devs, if you don't have it certain segments of your possible audience just won't buy, but it really doesn't add anything to most games and the money could be spent elsewhere (hookers and booze)

Shin

Cipher
How does one make a decent, modern Ultima Underworld clone with a budget/initial goal of €16,500? I'm rooting for the guy (+ contractors) to make it happen, but Underworld Ascendant raised, according to its wikipedia page, $932,000 from crowdsourcing.
Obviously its not as simple as 'more moneys = better game' but the financial asymmetry between the two projects make me skeptical about how 'vast' (and/or detailed in terms of content) the Five vast underworld zones will be.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Most kickstarter projects of the smaller nature ask for a minuscule amount of money either by already being half-complete, the devs having no clue or the devs knowing they won't get the real amount they need and using it for major issues to solve, like an OST or some better visuals

PrettyDeadman

How does one make a decent, modern Ultima Underworld clone with a budget/initial goal of €16,500? I'm rooting for the guy (+ contractors) to make it happen, but Underworld
He explained that the money is required to pay contractors for music and other stuff which he cant do himself. He is doing programming and most of game art (modeling, ui, writing and stuff) by himself. The game is almost finished.
a69557e2fa227a61eb64cc4c3c55f235_original.png

Last edited by a moderator:

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
65 euros to join his discord. :lol:

You can actually join the discord right now:
https://discord.gg/nMPfyXqBvj
I just don't advertise it much because of the additional work its moderation would mean.

Inner Sanctum is a locked channel for internal dev updates, previews, and perhaps a couple of other goodies on the way.
Also, a convenient way to communicate with €65+ backers.

I would have loved physical rewards but decided against them to keep things manageable.
I still have some templates for a box though. Maybe we can work something out there.

Curratum

I'm hoping for drone-like ambient loops and atmospheres for the music. Arx did fine with those, Thief did too, despite being a different genre, Grimrock as well.

Decidedly much cheaper too, compared to multi-instrument arrangements and orchestral-style compositions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom