Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King's Bounty II

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Decline,the strongest thing in KB game was the rpg elements,the tactic elements were pretty low level. I do hope the rpg elements are up to the level of older games.

Last edited:

negator2vc

Scholar
Decline,the strongest thin in KB game was the rpg elements,the tactic elements were pretty low level. I do hope the rpg elements are up to the level of older games.
For me King Bounty tactic elements where more about resource management than actual tactics. Minimize losses in combats in order to have enough units left until the end (since the resources available aren't infinite).

In any case when they replace the fantasy style of the previous games (loved this style) with a realistic style I knew that this game wasn't for me :-(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamebanshee.com/news/125284-king-s-bounty-ii-hands-on-previews.html

WCCFTech:

It's early days. I would imagine that since 1C have already planned out the day one patch and the game is releasing in around one and a half months, the game is all but complete. These are the final stages and what I've seen, except for a few bugs like falling through the floor or my money going into the negative one screen but not another when I bought an item (double charged me, the thieving git), is positive.

The world seems dense, not being open for the sake of being open, the story extensive and varied, and the combat being engagingly tactical. I've played the King's Bounty series a long time now, and this feels that it could be a genuine successor that expands the scope of the franchise.

PCGamesN:

There is a lot to like about King’s Bounty II on paper, but after a few hours with it some concern is creeping in. The commitment to bring a big open world adventure to the turn-based strategy games space is one they get right in form, but not always in function. The bread-and-butter combat is rewarding if you have the patience to weather its steep learning curve and are willing to work around some of its chokepoints, but it can be a devastating challenge for all but the most determined strategy gamers.

Gamereactor:

Concluding, I've found my time playing a preview of King's Bounty II generally enjoyable, but not without some recurring annoyances. I praise the game world's detail and the treat of unique areas wherever you go, either in the RPG part of the game or when doing a turn-based battle. Combat is challenging and there are plenty of different units, backed by a complex system of upgrades and unit classes. However, choices in the storyline feel limited and you're practically forced to complete side quests, as your army is too weak to continue the battles in the main storyline. Still, if you're into adventure and appreciate when a game's core elements are solidly worked out, King's Bounty II should be on your list of considerations.

Rock Paper Shotgun:

Trouble is, my mind keeps wandering back to The Witcher 3. While there's plenty to admire in the battling part of King's Bounty 2, its third-person questing and exploration has, so far at least, left me feeling a bit cold. There's still time for 1C Publishing to prove me wrong, of course, and if you're here for the battles over the quests and roleplaying then this could be right up your street. As an RPG liker, though, I worry that King's Bounty 2 isn't quite doing enough to make it stand out from the crowd here. We'll find out for sure come August 21st.

Windows Central:

I'm overall optimistic about King's Bounty 2. It seems like it wants to keep the game's tradition alive with rich storytelling and a detailed fantasy world. But it's also accommodating to newcomers like me thanks to in-depth tutorials that do a good job of explaining the game's fundamentals. And with so much written and spoken content to do with lore, the world created here is already taking up a spot in my head.

Psycroptic

Liturgist
Glad to see this one is coming back! Preferred it to HoMM, which pretty much expired at 3. (Though 5 is cool with all the expansions.)
King's Bounty and Space Rangers killed so many hours for me. Seems like they were out at about the same time. I never saw a Space Rangers 2. Wait, 3? Maybe I was playing 2. Anyway, there was no follow-up. Is there some sort of spiritual successor to that?

Last edited:

Zayne

Scholar
Glad to see this one is coming back! Preferred it to HoMM, which pretty much expired at 3. (Though 5 is cool with all the expansions.)
King's Bounty and Space Rangers killed so many hours for me. Seems like they were out at about the same time. I never saw a Space Rangers 2. Wait, 3? Maybe I was playing 2. Anyway, there was no follow-up. Is there some sort of spiritual successor to that?
You can check Space Rangers HD: A War Apart (remaster of SR2) on Steam with HD resolutions, Pirates as full-fledged faction and Star Destroyer as ultimate ship.

I still prefer original Space Rangers 2: Reloaded though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/kings-bounty-2-has-tricky-tactical-battles-but-not-enough-whimsy/

King's Bounty 2 has tricky tactical battles, but not enough whimsy
The strategy RPG sequel loses some magic with its more grounded approach.

It came as a shock to open King's Bounty 2 and discover it had switched to a scaled-up 3D world. The compressed, cartoonish fantasy of the previous games has been blown up to realistic proportions, while you can now hop off your horse and saunter between its traditional turn-based battles on foot.

All in all, the result is an odd game, sitting uniquely in the borderlands between the RPG and strategy genres. I've played ten hours or so of a preview build, sticking my toe into all manner of sidequests and sending dozens of humans, animals and monsters to their doom in battle. I like it, I'm pretty sure, although I'm saddened that a lot of the more fantastical elements of King's Bounty: The Legend appear to have been sanded away.

Speaking of which, this is the belated direct sequel to the 2008 tactical RPG in which you could marry a zombie—or, if you preferred, a frog. Just one bonkers sidequest in a game brimming with fairy tale weirdness. A game that played a bit like Heroes of Might & Magic, as you roamed a vibrant fantasy world gathering resources and units, before employing those units in turn-based battles.

I won't bang on about the story of this sequel, as I found it stilted and a little dull, but it begins with your character being let out of jail to run an errand for the prince, and that's as good a reason to start adventuring as any. There are three characters to choose from, a warrior, mage or paladin, although you only ever support your troops from the sidelines in the King's Bounty series, flinging encouraging spells or magical missiles onto the battlefield.

But while they do the fighting, your role, as in the previous games, is to traipse around the world, resolving troubles and gathering resources and additional units for your small army. It's a beautifully rendered setting, particularly after you escape the wintry tutorial area and find yourself in the more varied Crown Lands, which feel huge and non-linear, but without quite reaching the daunting scale of an open world.

I'm a fan of these more intimate, hand-crafted game settings, although the world of King's Bounty 2 is far more static than in something like The Witcher 3. It's beautiful, but inert: there's no day-night cycle, while enemies are restricted to a sprinkling of bespoke encounters, either initiated during cutscenes or bedded down in the world, where they are amusingly cordoned off behind big glowing barriers. If you cross the threshold, you'll trigger combat, although you can always retreat if you don't feel ready to take them on.

Mean girl
Once I had arrived in the Crown Lands, I spent most of my time collecting sidequests, which seemed to crop up pretty much everywhere I turned. If the sheer number was impressive—and I spent my time in just one corner of the map, with swathes remaining unexplored—then I'm less enthusiastic about the quality of the quests themselves.

They were strangely curt and matter-of-fact, as if someone had taken notes from The Witcher 3, while neglecting to imbue the stories with any great humour or emotional depth.

It didn't help that the character I picked was a persistent jerk to everyone she met, and that the game contains no dialogue options so I could attempt to steer her in friendlier directions. Still, at least the sidequests took me to some interesting and attractive parts of the world, from the clay pit and workshop where golems are made, to an eerie, abandoned village sitting in the shadow of a hill.

From what I've seen of the game, I think it will suffer when compared to modern open world RPGs, for which a 'living, breathing world' is of paramount importance. However, if you approach it from another angle—as an ambitious reworking of the core King's Bounty concept—there's more to be hopeful about.

Remember those enemies I mentioned, the ones waiting politely behind their glowing barriers? It's a feature common to games with strategic maps, and I admire developer 1C Entertainment for using it in a more grounded setting, even at the risk of undermining the sacred immersion. There's no time pressure to engage with baddies, nor any risk of a surprise attack as you serenely wander through this fantasy world. But the absolute best part of the glowing barriers is that the bandits or skeletons, bears or elemental creatures will scamper out and waggle their weapons as you approach the border, like playground bullies in a Beano comic strip. If I didn't find much humour in the writing, then it's here in the game mechanics, as 1C retains the series' essence in its brave new 3D world.

When you do choose to engage in combat, you're told exactly which enemies to expect, and how strong they are compared to your current party. In King's Bounty, you hire nameless soldiers to do your dirty work, including human swordsmen and archers, beasts such as wolves and bears, and even undead skeletons and ghouls. They're there, in your back pocket, as you clomp around the world, popping out every so often to dutifully fight on your behalf.

While previous Bounty battles took place on tiny hex-based grids, here those grids have been expanded, and embellished with different levels of elevation, and various line-of-sight blocking obstacles. You position your units, and then take turns with the enemy to whittle down everyone's health bars, while your hero chips in occasionally with a powerful spell. The game is good at informing you about the potential outcomes of your actions, so I would often chew on turns for ages, trying to minimise my losses the best I could.

Hard times
If every member of a unit perishes—say, if all four of your golems turn to mulch—then you'll lose them forever and have to swap in units from your reserve, or else track down a recruiter to buy replacements. Balance fixes have been promised for the finished game, and I hope they apply to the combat, as the difficulty ramped up sharply after I entered the Crown Lands. I scoured the world pretty thoroughly for encounters that would train me up for the harder battles, but even after fighting supposedly weaker groups of enemies, I would often come away bearing significant losses.

I found surprisingly few battles during my time with King's Bounty 2, either coming upon them out in the wilderness, or triggering combat during quests. Sidequests generally contained just one battle (along with a very simple environmental puzzle), although these were tricky encounters that required some thoughtful tinkering to win. Probably the most important decision in a battle will happen just before you start it: which units are you going to take into combat with you? You can only bring five, and they span a broad range of strengths and abilities, from the snarling attack dogs that can perform nifty hit-and-run attacks, to the iron golems that hit hard but move incredibly, painfully slowly.

You might now be wondering how humans, elemental constructs, thieves and skeletons get on with each other, and the answer, unsurprisingly, is: they don't. There are four general classes of unit: Order, Anarchy, Power and Finesse, and their morale will drop if you thoughtlessly mix them all together. But even aside from that consideration, just five units is a hard limit, and it can be difficult to know which ones to bring to each particular rumble. I'm hoping the finished game will make some effort to educate in this regard, as I never felt like I was doing much more than just muddling through the combat.

As I put down King's Bounty 2—my exploration curtailed on several fronts by battles I wasn't powerful, or clever, enough to beat—I was left scratching my head at what I made of its peculiar genre collision. The combat is thoughtful, an expansion of a solid battle system that makes strong use of the newly 3D backdrops, although it does feel curiously separate from the exploration phase of the game. I liked being able to prepare for encounters, and begin them at my leisure. However, these far-flung fights made the intervening world feel, well, like wasted space, particularly when the vast majority of the loot I scrounged from my rather thorough exploration of it just consisted of useless, sellable trinkets.

At the time of writing, we're still over two months from release, so there's still a little time for these two halves to be jammed together with a bit more elegance, and for the unforgiving tactical battles to be introduced a tad more gently into the game.

And, while it's at it, if 1C could bung in a bit more whimsy—it could let us marry, oh, a ghost—that'd be the icing on the cake.

Saravan

Savant
Well if anything this thread got me to buy and try out KB Crossworlds as I'm a big fan of HoMM 2 & 3. Always wanted a game like that but with more RPG elements, had no idea this series existed.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Do yourself a favour and do not put the difficulty too high Saravan. Because the game does not actually get harder, as soon as you get proper ressurection loops going it is not extremely hard to win the game on the highest difficulty lossless. But fights take forever with bloated numbers, and you need to play slow to not get too high losses. The nu KB games are already pretty slow (speeding them up with cheat engine is somewhat recommended), and they overstay their welcome by a good 10 hours. On higher difficulties this gets more extreme. Do not repeat my mistake and be stuck 60 hours in KB The Legend.
They are fun games tho. You can min max your wife and children, that is quite something.

Last edited:

Readher

Savant
There's Aivar the warrior, the recommended starting class for anyone new to the game. Then there's Katharine the mage and a Paladin whose name must go unmentioned for now.
https://www.windowscentral.com/kings-bounty-2-preview
At the outset of the game you’re able to choose between three heroes: a warrior named Aivar, a mage called Katharine, or a paladin called Elisa.
https://www.gamespew.com/2021/07/kings-bounty-ii-hands-on-preview/

Video games journalism at its finest.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Katharine comes from a long line of noble Rigern counts, the rulers of the rugged mountain region of Nostria. She spent more than 20 years away from Nostria, roaming the dragon ruins and the remains of ancient Antis, looking for arcane knowledge and magic. However, when Katharine stops receiving the taxes she needs to fund her expeditions and mystical research she discovers that her nephew, Maurice, has taken over her county. Outraged by this, she heads to the Universal Assembly in order to demand the return of her power from the King...

King's Bounty II will be launching on August 24th, 2021 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Game looks good in terms of graphics but i have Heroes of Might and Magic III on my drive, right from the gog.
Should i look after KBII still ? Might&Magic universe consist some of best blobers around and mentioned HoMMIII , pinnacle of fun in gaming.
What is so special in this game? Can anyone answer, maybe some fellow Codexian have played this early build of a game to share some details.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Hold up. Paladin is a woman now?
Best paladin was always a woman
Amelie%2BPaladin.png

jungl

Augur
kings bounty the legend was a mess. The tactical battles were simplistic crap and time consuming getting the units you need. The world exploration was a mixed bag some maps were linear and boring the undead one . Best map was the one that gave you a boat. It cant be too hard to make a better game.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Looks like it's got a ton of different locations which I love in a video game. I want to go to a variety of places and explore and some games don't seem to care. Towns, mountains, swamps, fire levels... and then a couple really crazy ones

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom