Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
That's reality, nothing personal. Germany is economically hostile region for indie devs

Even X-Com creator saw this, that's why he made his new game in Bulgaria. We have good programmers and artists and much lower expenses while standard of living is quite decent. Why would you make your game where 80% of every 1$ you profit, through various means, goes to Merkel

vazha

Arcane
All things put aside, trying to make isometric Daggerfall/Arcanum in Germany with 100.000€ is insanity

Codex could kickstart RPG studio in Belgrade for 10.000€ and we'd make vertical slice/demo for Byzantine cRPG in exactly 1 year. We'd go to Kickstarter and in next 6-9months we'd be on Steam Early Access. After 1-1.5 more years, you'd have Byzantine Arcanum with main quest to fuck Empress Teodora and side quest to restore Roman Empire
If you follow that Byzantine RPG up with a Fourth Crusade (Latin Empire) RPG, you can have my monies.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Is it typical for german businessmen to establish a company and then in the middle of its biggest project officially remain the owner with all that entails, but autistically shut off all communications and project related matters while pretending to go into stasis like a high level shaolin monk? Sounds like a p weird hobby.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
d3cb12c9129e2e1b6d73bca0cf75eef5.png

I'm not wasting my Free Premium on a guy that's prolly not even gonna answer (hey, exactly like you do).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is it typical for german businessmen to establish a company and then in the middle of its biggest project officially remain the owner with all that entails, but autistically shut off all communications and project related matters while pretending to go into stasis like a high level shaolin monk? Sounds like a p weird hobby.

If I had decadent money to burn, I'd do it at least once just to watch someone's dreams die. :smug:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
3) WTF happened? HobGoblin and this other guy (his name is Peter) indeed made a company together. Peter is spoiled, short attention, butthurt, depressed, trust fund kiddo of 30somthin years. His father is influental German lawyer. He hates HobGoblin for some unknown reason. Maybe HobGoblin gave Peter's fiancee what Peter never did, who knows. The fact of the matter is: Peter wants to see Ceres Games burn. Money is not issue for Peter. He wipes his german ass with 100€ bills and then uses them to pay his Turkish Bull. That's how he resists third siege of Vienna, also he finds that funny. For some personal reason he wants to make HobGoblins life miserable

4)HobGoblin has spent yuge! amount of money on german lawyers so far. When I wanted to give him some free legal advice, people on his discord attacked me that thats not legal. Nigga, only if you snitch on me. Bankruptcy should have happend first in may, then in june. Now we're at the end of july

Why he doesnt call him? Why he doesnt siege his house? Well, and I kid you not, explenation I was given is that in Germany if you see someone who's not your relative you'll be fined 300€. Which is like 10% from amount of money spent on lawyers but whatevs. HobGoblin is probably despite being 8feet tall wild beast, introvert in heart and too shy to knock on Peter's door
First of all, what the fuck am I reading?

Second, according to this thing, Timothy Drude is the sole Managing Director of Ceres Games and should be entitled to do whatever the fuck he wants with it:

HRB 229809: Ceres Games GmbH, Munich, Johann-Clanze-Straße 79, 81369 München. GmbH. Partnership agreement of November 10, 2016. Business address: Johann-Clanze-Straße 79, 81369 München. The object of the company: development, marketing and distribution of computer and video games. Share capital: EUR 25,000.00. If only one managing director is appointed, he represents the company alone. If several directors are appointed, the company is represented by two directors or by a managing director together with an authorized representative.
But I can't say how reliable this site is. Maybe, Thac0, our resident German law-person, can shed some light on the matter?

vazha

Arcane
If you follow that Byzantine RPG up with a Fourth Crusade (Latin Empire) RPG, you can have my monies.
Fourth Crusade cRPG with Good Ending! And Bad Ending, which is already in history books. Sure!!!
You need to incorporate the alternate BULGARIAN ending too - where that chad King (Emprah?) Bulgs had (that came so close to owning everyone) actually gets to conquer (and retain!) Constantinople well before dem pesky Seljuks. Then our resident chalga singer Fantadomat will also buy it, which would be an achievement in itself.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
3) WTF happened? HobGoblin and this other guy (his name is Peter) indeed made a company together. Peter is spoiled, short attention, butthurt, depressed, trust fund kiddo of 30somthin years. His father is influental German lawyer. He hates HobGoblin for some unknown reason. Maybe HobGoblin gave Peter's fiancee what Peter never did, who knows. The fact of the matter is: Peter wants to see Ceres Games burn. Money is not issue for Peter. He wipes his german ass with 100€ bills and then uses them to pay his Turkish Bull. That's how he resists third siege of Vienna, also he finds that funny. For some personal reason he wants to make HobGoblins life miserable

4)HobGoblin has spent yuge! amount of money on german lawyers so far. When I wanted to give him some free legal advice, people on his discord attacked me that thats not legal. Nigga, only if you snitch on me. Bankruptcy should have happend first in may, then in june. Now we're at the end of july

Why he doesnt call him? Why he doesnt siege his house? Well, and I kid you not, explenation I was given is that in Germany if you see someone who's not your relative you'll be fined 300€. Which is like 10% from amount of money spent on lawyers but whatevs. HobGoblin is probably despite being 8feet tall wild beast, introvert in heart and too shy to knock on Peter's door
First of all, what the fuck am I reading?

Second, according to this thing, Timothy Drude is the sole Managing Director of Ceres Games and should be entitled to do whatever the fuck he wants with it:

HRB 229809: Ceres Games GmbH, Munich, Johann-Clanze-Straße 79, 81369 München. GmbH. Partnership agreement of November 10, 2016. Business address: Johann-Clanze-Straße 79, 81369 München. The object of the company: development, marketing and distribution of computer and video games. Share capital: EUR 25,000.00. If only one managing director is appointed, he represents the company alone. If several directors are appointed, the company is represented by two directors or by a managing director together with an authorized representative.
But I can't say how reliable this site is. Maybe, Thac0, our resident German law-person, can shed some light on the matter?
Hobgoblin is shizo and that other dude is his alter ego.No wonder his calls go to voicemail.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

If you want 100% concrete info our resident Stalker lord Roguey has to shell out for Handelsregisterauszüge.
https://www.online-handelsregister....RB/229809/Ceres-Games-GmbH#checkout-container
Those are the law basically, whatever is in there is the legal status of the company.

I found on another page that the company is structured as follows:
1 Managing Director: Drude
3 Investors: Unknown without paying cash
The Company itself with its owned cash of 25.000 € (as required by law for this type of company to exist) and maybe 11.000 € more or so.

The legal ties between these three entities (Managing Director, Investors, Company) are a bit complex, but as Managing Director this Drude dude has effective control over the company. It does not belong to him however, it belongs to the investors and itself. I highly assume as usual that the Managing Director is an Investor aswell, impossible to know how much of the company he holds.

So Drude has effective control over the company, but the dudes who own the money inside the company might press charges against him for incompetence and losing the company money.
Depending on the exact norms inside the contract that made the company as a legal entity the investors might also have the ability to revoke his Managing Director status and thus strip him of all his abilities. But it might also be that he owns it to 99%, and the contract is stacked in his favor etc etc.

I have zero clue about the context of this drama, as I knew from first glance that the entire game is a burning trashfire and will end up as vaporware. But it is too simplicistic to say he owns it all just because he is the MD, especially if we do not know the contract, which is the skeleton of the company basically and details how it works.

daveyd

Savant
What Hobgoblin has said in the past is that the problem is not really that Tim has the title as Managing Director. It's that he's 50% owner of the company. Any business decision has to be agreed on by both owners. Since the guy won't communicate with him, there's fuck all Hob can do until Ceres is no more.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What Hobgoblin has said in the past is that the problem is not really that Tim has the title as Managing Director. It's that he's 50% owner of the company. Any business decision has to be agreed on by both owners. Since the guy won't communicate with him, there's fuck all Hob can do until Ceres is no more.
This is bullshit.

Basically what he is saying is that there is a perfectly sane company that has already found a publisher/investor that would allow them to finish the game and reach the goal the company was originally founded for, but one of the two owners went AWOL and the other owner has NO LEGAL WAY to save the company from declaring bankruptcy. I know nothing about German law, but I can't believe that a half-owner of a company can simply disappear and there is no juridical institution that allows the other owner to save the company from going bankrupt by taking decisions on his own. It's absurd.

He just found someone to blame for his incompetence and inability to manage this project. Exactly the same thing he did with the publisher with his previous game.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
If you know nothing about German law, don't speak as if you do. I thought the same as you because I started from same presumtion as you did, that german laws are sane. They are not. I looked into it, only thing they can do and are doing is waiting for bankruptcy, which Tim is stalling in court. There is ongoing legal case involving Realms Beyond and Ceres Games

That's not the only pro-active thing they can do, and they have been passive for way too long but that's what's happening

Too often on this forum people talk about something either they dont know about, are too lazy to look into yet talk with confidence of expert or talk aboit things that have changed a long time ago. I stopped counting number of times someone asks something that LITERALLY is discussed one post above him

Examples of decline at Codex are countless

rojay

Scholar
This is bullshit.

Basically what he is saying is that there is a perfectly sane company that has already found a publisher/investor that would allow them to finish the game and reach the goal the company was originally founded for, but one of the two owners went AWOL and the other owner has NO LEGAL WAY to save the company from declaring bankruptcy. I know nothing about German law, but I can't believe that a half-owner of a company can simply disappear and there is no juridical institution that allows the other owner to save the company from going bankrupt by taking decisions on his own. It's absurd.

He just found someone to blame for his incompetence and inability to manage this project. Exactly the same thing he did with the publisher with his previous game.
I don't know German law or any of the parties involved either, but if one owner has a 50% interest, any contract that would bind the company needs that owner's approval/signature. If a person who has a 50% interest in the company won't sign, then the company can't enter the contract.

I'm sure there's a way to set up a company in which two people each have 50% ownership and yet there's a way to break a stalemate, but I don't know what it would be other than an arbitration clause. The problem there is that arbitration is generally expensive and time-consuming - not as expensive and time-consuming as straight litigation, but still not the best way to solve a problem. Litigation is to be avoided at all costs and I say that as a (former) litigator.

Again, I don't know the details or German law, but it seems plausible to me that the best way out for the guy who wants to keep making the game is to dissolve the company and try to buy the assets he needs to continue development at auction. Seems like a long shot, but if the alternative is continued limbo it's probably the least bad option.

You kids can return to your shitposting now.

daveyd

Savant
Guys, I understand that you want to believe you didn't waste money on this Kickstarter, but you're coping too hard. Just let it go.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm neither German nor a lawyer so I can't speak with any authority on how their laws (don't) work.

All I and The Wall did is repeat what the developers told us. Maybe HobGoblin is lying and he spent all the money on cocaine and hookers. I don't fucking know. For now I'm inclined to believe his side of the story, because his business partner hasn't even spoken with anyone about RB in a long time.

The Wall's statement about Tim hating HobGoblin is speculation. For his part, HobGoblin has said they were never really close friends, just co-workers who got along alright. But he didn't think his actions were a personal vendetta. Might just be Tim abandoned the project because of daddy issues that have nothing to do with HobGoblin.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I don't know German law or any of the parties involved either, but if one owner has a 50% interest, any contract that would bind the company needs that owner's approval/signature. If a person who has a 50% interest in the company won't sign, then the company can't enter the contract.

If I'm wrong, please correct me, Thac0, but for a contract to be valid, it only needs the signature of the managing director(s) - basically the guy(s) a third-party entering the contract with the company can look up in the register. Even if the owners have an agreement, that certain contracts need their approval, and the managing directors signed the contact in violation of that agreement, the contract is still binding, because the external company doesn't have to care about their internal agreements.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

If I'm wrong, please correct me, Thac0, but for a contract to be valid, it only needs the signature of the managing director(s) - basically the guy(s) a third-party entering the contract with the company can look up in the register. Even if the owners have an agreement, that certain contracts need their approval, and the managing directors signed the contact in violation of that agreement, the contract is still binding, because the external company doesn't have to care about their internal agreements.

Perfect.
§36 GmbhG for the general ability of the MD to make all decisions.
§37 I for the ability to limit the full powers of the MD in the foundation contract
§37 II for those limitations being non binding towards third parties.

Whoever the MD is, he has full effective control over the company.
He can make himself liable for damages or be demoted for breach of contract or general behaviour that damages the company tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom