Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children - isometric tactical Korean SRPG

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks for the recs but I'm burnt out on fantasy. Saved them on the wishlist for later. Anything with guns? Tanks? Sci-fi shit?
there's also I am not a monster, which sci-fi, but with a style closer to old star trek/space opera of that time. It's a twist on the nuXCOM formula, which I found neat

Arthandas

Prophet
They're using machine translation to post news on Steam so I bet the game is wonderfully translated...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yg8FfkP.jpg

motherofgod.jpg

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They're using machine translation to post news on Steam so I bet the game is wonderfully translated...

It's changed a fair bit, because they consulted the community and got a lot of English-speaking community input, so the worst bad translation has been eliminated. It mostly reads fine, bar a few odds and ends here and there, and the project is still ongoing (and the team still occasionally requests grammar clarifications, etc.).

It was a nice bit of synergy between a team that cares and fans who love the team and the game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The translation is 100% crap, but it's not crappy enough that you can't understand the meaning. But the characters and the story are complete ass, so it's not what you're there for anyway. The translation only matters for ability descriptions and those can be fairly bad, but anytime I didn't understand something there was an almost instant, helpful reply in the thread :love:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Depends on your perspective. If gurugeorge means "mostly fine = you can always derive the meaning", then he's right. If he means "the quality of the translation is fine" then his nose would be a staircase to the moon if he was a wooden puppet

Arthandas

Prophet
why stress over the translation tho
I prefer to not read gibberish, and apparently there's quite a bit of story and dialogs in here. Also, I find bad translations insulting and disrespectful to a paying consumer. Either hire a professional translator or don't market your game as having English language support.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
why stress over the translation tho
I prefer to not read gibberish

story would be gibberish even if the translation was perfect. in fact, according to Tigranes, there's nothing insulting about the translation because the writing is just about as bad in the original Korean as well. so don't sweat it bro. you play this thing for the ballrocking gameplay

(and for waifu Ray, but don't tell anyone I said that)

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Regarding the quality of the translation, for me the english story-related narrative texts and character conversations were mostly readable and comprehensible, there were a few typos and nonsensical parts in the descriptions of some masteries and bits of the game mechanics, but 99.99% of the time it was fine, by which I mean, I could technically understand what it was saying (assuming that the english translation is accurate and does not contradict the original in the first place). But if for some reason you were expecting something novel-grade, which is pleasant to read, you will be disappointed.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
My point was rather that it was actually worse initially than it is now and that it improved because of community + team efforts, not that it's akin to Shakespeare :)

Put it this way, it's not like reading an East Asian gadget manual translated into English. It is actually 99% understandable, even if it's not always elegant.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
the story isn't even worth reading so it doesn't matter if the translation is crap, it's not why you're playing the game

It's not that bad. I kind of got into it a bit half way through. The way the backstories are revealed as it goes is quite good.

it is literally like listening to my 10-year-old nephew tell an and-then story. it's that bad

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
the story isn't even worth reading so it doesn't matter if the translation is crap, it's not why you're playing the game

It's not that bad. I kind of got into it a bit half way through. The way the backstories are revealed as it goes is quite good.
spoon cult

eh, I just chalk that up as goofy, it's probably something that doesn't "translate well" (in the broader sense). But the backstories of the main protagonists, the interpersonal tensions set up by things they did when they were younger, all that's quite well done.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
is it just me or is the butthurt-reaction mainly used by someone who is very butthurt about something

edit: case in point

TheSoul

Scholar
Main plot feels made up as it went, but character dynamics are well done. Each character has a role in the team and the interactions between them are meaningful without completely sidetracking from the gameplay. Except for Leton and Kylie, I actually really like these characters.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Heixing can be a MONSTER as a Ranger in the right circumstances. I'm doing 35 Magenta Shopping Street, the area where you have to go frontally into a bridge with 10-15 snipers on it. I tried a couple of things to make it less annoying and could easily deal with the snipers when focusing on them, but it meant that I either got bumrushed or frontally rushed by the rest of the map.

Until I just put half the team at the end of the map and the rest of the team at the top and literally let Heixing solo the snipers (!!!). His cover-masteries as Ranger means I can sit him in half-cover (!) and he will Dodge every. single. sniper shot. Fired at him from high elevation. Of course while firing Revenge shots right back at the SoBs.

What a joy.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane

spoon cult

eh, I just chalk that up as goofy, it's probably something that doesn't "translate well" (in the broader sense). But the backstories of the main protagonists, the interpersonal tensions set up by things they did when they were younger, all that's quite well done.

There's no clever pun or cultural reference with spoon cult, btw, it's just a fucking spoon cult for no discernible reason whatsoever and it makes no sense either way

The main story & hero team is just your typical anime-influenced "kind-hearted juveniles with troubled past struggles to open up to others, confronts their inner demons with POWER OF FRIENDSHIP and milquetoast homilies". Nobody really has a strong linguistic style in the original (e.g. some kind of distinctive dialect), so I don't think translation's much to worry about. I'm actually impressed that they managed to ensure all the skill descriptions are clear, which is far more important.

Jinn

Arcane
"Spoonism" and how much attention it takes in the narrative has got to be one of the worst aspects of the game, honestly. They actually built a pretty decent and interesting setting, but a cartoonish cult that is centered around literal spoons is not only a stupidly heavy-handed metaphor, but also really hard to engage with as a player. Not to mention one of the things that would really just confuse new players and turn them off of the game entirely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom