Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter Update #94: Dev Diary #4, Preorders and Season Pass

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

With the release date of Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous fast approaching, Owlcat and their new publisher META have begun promoting the game more frequently. Last week they released another companion trailer about mongrelman archer Lann, yesterday they shared a new piece from the game's soundtrack, and today there's a new dev diary. The topic this time is the graphical and visual changes that Owlcat have implemented for Wrath of the Righteous. These include a more advanced texture pipeline, a darker and less cartoony visual style, more detailed character models, a more efficient process for creating maps, dynamic lighting, and more elaborate weather effects. Once again, I'll post the dev diary and the companion trailer:

However, the main news of the day is that Wrath of the Righteous is now available for preorder, with the usual assortment of in-game bonus items and deluxe editions. Most notably, the Mythic Edition includes a season pass (the contents of which were actually briefly leaked last week) with three post-launch DLCs. The first of these is a high level post-campaign expansion, the second one is a side story featuring a different protagonist along the lines of Kingmaker's Varnhold's Lot DLC, and the third is a roguelike mode with procedural generation similar to the Beneath the Stolen Lands DLC. The new Kickstarter update has the details on what backers are getting, but I'd rather post the full description of the DLCs from the season pass Steam page:

DLC #1
New additional campaign. Import your character from the main campaign to the moment of their greatest triumph — their victory over the Worldwound. Answer a plea from a powerful entity and leave Golarion behind to defend the space-time continuum against imminent collapse. Use your unparalleled mythic powers to do battle with truly invincible opponents. This additional campaign offers 7–8 hours of gameplay.

DLC #2
New additional campaign. The demon attack on Kenabres changed the lives of many. While the mythic hero and their loyal companions were busy liberating the city, the common folk had to find a way to survive, relying only on their humble skills.
Band together with other survivors and try to reach the Defender's Heart tavern, the last foothold of the crusader forces in the city. Choose who will join your group, and make difficult decisions about allocating scarce resources. Remember — in fire-ravaged Kenabres, every scroll and potion could make the difference not only in an individual fight, but also to your very survival. Act in the group's best interests or focus solely on your own well-being. Import your choices to the main campaign and look forward to seeing this story develop in other DLC. This additional campaign offers 6–7 hours of gameplay.

DLC #3
A new rogue-like mode with partial integration into the main campaign. In Alushinyrra's port, climb aboard a cursed ship that will transport you to a mysterious whirlpool lost amidst the Midnight Isles. Dive in and discover a dungeon whose proportions you can only guess at. Go exploring in search of glory, loot, and battles, and come face to face with a secret that will benefit either Nocticula, the mistress of the archipelago, or her enemies. The dungeon's levels, created using random zone generation, are populated with various enemies, devious traps, and secret rooms. You will return victorious to Alushinyrra — or else the cursed ship will return on its own, laden with trophies from the last expedition, to await new adventure-seekers.​

Wrath of the Righteous is available for preorder on Steam and GOG for $50. Kickstarter backers are getting the preorder bonus items of course, and the Commander Edition items as well if they pledged for a high enough tier. It's unfortunate that Owlcat have once again chosen not to grant the season pass to backers, not even to those who pledged extremely large sums of money.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Terrible! They KS then sell. I've been watching vids on very horrible KS games that didn't come out or failed. Risky as all fuck to back KS CRPGS (more so MMOs).
I'll wait for sale... 2022+

Zeriel

Arcane
Season Pass

This is never a good sign. Literally. I tried to think of an example, but I can't think of a single game since the occurence of Season Passes where their inclusion ends up being a good thing or results in more/better DLC. It's usually the case it results in anemic/bad DLC to fill out the pre-order/season pass obligation, instead of producing good post-launch content that people want to pay for on its own.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What about The last incarnation of DOOM? I bought a season pass an got MOST the DLC except what appears 3rd party shit like skins. Its on steam and I never git to play it.... so maybe you're right. Fucking 77 (+51 DLC) games on steam and i can't even access them.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This is never a good sign. Literally. I tried to think of an example, but I can't think of a single game since the occurence of Season Passes where their inclusion ends up being a good thing or results in more/better DLC. It's usually the case it results in anemic/bad DLC to fill out the pre-order/season pass obligation, instead of producing good post-launch content that people want to pay for on its own.

POE2 DLC is considerably better than the base content and it had a season pass. Though that might just be a combination of Obsidian doing better DLCs than base game generally and how mediocre the base game is.

This studio clearly took a lot of influences from POE1/2 in terms of business model, UI and the like.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't the important thing that they're selling significant content (i.e. expansions) rather than horse armour or w/e.

Do some people get their PTSD triggered by the fact they're calling it a "season pass"?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Indeed, it looks to me like a collection of side adventures for people who want more of the same. Which doesn't really add or remove in any way from the complete main campaign. If it's anything like the first game there will be too much main campaign not too little.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Pre-order worth it?
oteBcXX.jpg

D6myqhT.png

j7iIMaT.png

mQShyRy.png

SEASON PASS
ABOUT THIS CONTENT
Get access to the three upcoming DLCs and save on purchasing them individually.

DLC #1

New additional campaign. Import your character from the main campaign to the moment of their greatest triumph — their victory over the Worldwound. Answer a plea from a powerful entity and leave Golarion behind to defend the space-time continuum against imminent collapse. Use your unparalleled mythic powers to do battle with truly invincible opponents. This additional campaign offers 7–8 hours of gameplay.

DLC #2

New additional campaign. The demon attack on Kenabres changed the lives of many. While the mythic hero and their loyal companions were busy liberating the city, the common folk had to find a way to survive, relying only on their humble skills.
Band together with other survivors and try to reach the Defender's Heart tavern, the last foothold of the crusader forces in the city. Choose who will join your group, and make difficult decisions about allocating scarce resources. Remember — in fire-ravaged Kenabres, every scroll and potion could make the difference not only in an individual fight, but also to your very survival. Act in the group's best interests or focus solely on your own well-being. Import your choices to the main campaign and look forward to seeing this story develop in other DLC. This additional campaign offers 6–7 hours of gameplay.

DLC #3

A new rogue-like mode with partial integration into the main campaign. In Alushinyrra's port, climb aboard a cursed ship that will transport you to a mysterious whirlpool lost amidst the Midnight Isles. Dive in and discover a dungeon whose proportions you can only guess at. Go exploring in search of glory, loot, and battles, and come face to face with a secret that will benefit either Nocticula, the mistress of the archipelago, or her enemies. The dungeon's levels, created using random zone generation, are populated with various enemies, devious traps, and secret rooms. You will return victorious to Alushinyrra — or else the cursed ship will return on its own, laden with trophies from the last expedition, to await new adventure-seekers.

STEAM has different prices relatively.
2gIRhXB.jpg

2HzyJC7.jpg

I looked at the KS page and wondered what the "in-game items" were? I guess if you were a collector and wanted your ugly mug in game... $2,500 was the way to go. [AH HELL NO!]. The lesser with boxes, maps, records, figurines eh... maybe. You need a nice display room for all that shit.
V4lkHZm.jpg

$$$ BUY IT NOW!!! $$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Game is looking good. This is going to be a pulpy extravaganza of RPG excess. With how this game is already shaping up, I can only imagine what heights DLC#1 will go to. It'll be like what many wanted BG3 to be, a deity striding the planes fighting other deities. I'd like to order the "ultimate" version of this too, but it's not yet declared compatible with Linux. I've been 100% Linux for a year now. I....must....not....go...back.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

I liked the endless dungeon thing they had in Kingmaker as a way to test and play different builds. I'm glad they're going to bring that back from the looks of it.

Basante

Novice
So I've been waiting until this game releases to play PF:KM, after I'm finished with that one which will be 3-4 months or later in I'll consider WoR, mayhaps on a sale.

jerfdr

Educated
it's not yet declared compatible with Linux. I've been 100% Linux for a year now. I....must....not....go...back.

Most likely it'll work 100% fine with Steam Proton (which you can also use if you buy the game from some other store), so it doesn't really matter whether they ship a native Linux version.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm still on the fence... look at the current price for kingmaker and how it dropped. If you preorder though.... hoot-meow!! Damnnnn!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom