Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Monomyth now on Kickstarter

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
65 euros to join his discord. :lol:

I would have loved physical rewards but decided against them to keep things manageable.
I still have some templates for a box though. Maybe we can work something out there.

Yes please! :martini:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yeah, I wish more digital only releases came with printable covers for DVDs cases

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
demo plays nicely on ultrawide, what is beg pledge on codex campaign?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Backed for 35 yurobux. Dude showed his persistence across years, and the game looks sweet. I'll take my chances on it!

Curratum

My concern is that the years have been dragging on a bit. My memory could be bad on this, but wasn't this originally intended to release in early 2021?

I'm not blaming the dev for it, this is not his full-time job, I believe, and I'm not implying he should be stoned for missing this original planned release, but ever-shifting goal-posts make me want to just wait for full release and buy then, save myself years of agony and grumpiness.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Really good demo, felt like a King's Field sequel we never got. Crazy that a single dude did all this, loved the feeling of being in this large & lonely world with no handholding whatsoever, trying to figure out what to do.

I'm a bit worried that the combat seems too simple and the character stats too bloated. In fact, the King's Field core is solid, but the influences from Thief, Ultima and Dark Souls all feel disconnected. Sure, this was only an alpha demo, but how viable it is to finish all the full game content, polish everything AND make things like Thief's water arrows really relevant to the game in less than an year?

Shin

Cipher
My concern is that the years have been dragging on a bit. My memory could be bad on this, but wasn't this originally intended to release in early 2021?

I'm not blaming the dev for it, this is not his full-time job, I believe, and I'm not implying he should be stoned for missing this original planned release, but ever-shifting goal-posts make me want to just wait for full release and buy then, save myself years of agony and grumpiness.

what year are you currently writing from?

deuxhero

Arcane
Voice acting is a dilemma for devs, if you don't have it certain segments of your possible audience just won't buy, but it really doesn't add anything to most games and the money could be spent elsewhere (hookers and booze)
we're only a few years away from natural sounding AI voice acting
https://replicastudios.com/

There's already better out there, just not commercial license friendly. There's a few websites that can produce convincing copies of existing fictional characters (and a few real people) out there.

Really the big problem will all AI VA solutions so far is the inability to add emphasis to particular words.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Voice acting is a dilemma for devs, if you don't have it certain segments of your possible audience just won't buy, but it really doesn't add anything to most games and the money could be spent elsewhere (hookers and booze)
we're only a few years away from natural sounding AI voice acting
https://replicastudios.com/

There's already better out there, just not commercial license friendly. There's a few websites that can produce convincing copies of existing fictional characters (and a few real people) out there.

Really the big problem will all AI VA solutions so far is the inability to add emphasis to particular words.

Real game devs just use their own voices and edit them on Audacity.

Real, realer game devs just force players to read text.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I've heard those real-dev voiced characters. They sound like a moose on sleeping pills

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
The demo is awesome, except my pc flying up 5 cm in the air cause of the fans spinning .There's also something odd happening at startup, i had a message error not finding VR headset..Launching steam vr get rid of the message, but sadly there's no vr mode. What an opportunity missed in the strecth goals , voice acting is unimportant , but having a vr mode on this is a lot more interisting.
Now how a game done will a lone guy, looking better than underworld ascendant will release in a less than on year? We have quite a few nutjob developpers on the codex, like cleve and pierre, but is he the good kind of nutjob 100% focused on his work ?
When its too good to be true , it usually is.

is it an unreal engine game? use -nohmd as a launch modifier, a lot of devs don't remove the baked-in vr support in UE... RatTower

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
The demo is awesome, except my pc flying up 5 cm in the air cause of the fans spinning .There's also something odd happening at startup, i had a message error not finding VR headset..Launching steam vr get rid of the message, but sadly there's no vr mode. What an opportunity missed in the strecth goals , voice acting is unimportant , but having a vr mode on this is a lot more interisting.
Now how a game done will a lone guy, looking better than underworld ascendant will release in a less than on year? We have quite a few nutjob developpers on the codex, like cleve and pierre, but is he the good kind of nutjob 100% focused on his work ?

is it an unreal engine game? use -nohmd as a launch modifier, a lot of devs don't remove the baked-in vr support in UE... RatTower

Yep. Kicked those plugins. For some reason, those are checked by default. Fix coming in the next version tomorrow.

I cannot pick up the bone club. How do?

You can pick up items with F.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
RatTower couple of things only, since I don't have time to argue about game design:

1. no graphical settings on the main menu, only when you enter the game - I would recommend you add them and rename them from numbers to descriptive words (low/0, medium/1, high/2, ultra/3)
2. not sure if the settings are even being applied (tried lowering all settings from 3 to 2 without any improvement), I get huge performance drops on AMD3600/GTX1080/16GB RAM on 1080p from 60 to high 30s in the corridor where you meet the first zombie or whatever (needs to be optimized)
3. consider implementing AMD FSR as well
4. when looting things, you have to use the mouse and click on Close - clicking something on keyboard (Esc, C, X or whatever) should close the window as well
5. characters are too small, consider implementing font selection so reading letters will become easier to people with shitty eyesight (read: me)
6. using torches to light some things says I should press <M3> - not sure what that is supposed to mean (also not sure if having a gamepad connected might be the underlying cause behind it)

Good luck with the kickstarter, I will write more impressions/feedback in a week or two if I feel like it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Itchio says there will be a patch tomorrow? Might wait til weekend to dl demo. Its just 1gig abouts.

LudensCogitet

Learned

Yep. Kicked those plugins. For some reason, those are checked by default. Fix coming in the next version tomorrow.

I cannot pick up the bone club. How do?

You can pick up items with F.
Thanks. Figured that out after some flailing. Pretty embarrassing! Now I can't figure out how to cast magic, haha. Are the controls listed anywhere?

Dr Schultz

Augur
Really good demo, felt like a King's Field sequel we never got. Crazy that a single dude did all this, loved the feeling of being in this large & lonely world with no handholding whatsoever, trying to figure out what to do.

I'm a bit worried that the combat seems too simple and the character stats too bloated. In fact, the King's Field core is solid, but the influences from Thief, Ultima and Dark Souls all feel disconnected. Sure, this was only an alpha demo, but how viable it is to finish all the full game content, polish everything AND make things like Thief's water arrows really relevant to the game in less than an year?

I pretty much agree on everything. The main source of inspiration here seems King's Field/Dark Souls, while Ultima Underworld and Thief are more of a side dish.

Combat is the less baked part of the demo (pun unintended) but right now is the overall scope of the game that concerns me.

Anyhow: Great atmosphere. Fingers crossed for the final release.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
Rats!...seems I backed a level that requires actually think (Lysandrian Knight) - apparently I have to think of a name of an item?

How about it guys? - would a green shimmering greatsword called "luneglow" work?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
how about a mystical item called "glowbigger" that allows you to spy on people

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom