Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Mistakes in Wasteland 1

JanKrapivin

Novice
Hello! I have started playing Wasteland 1 (from GOG) and find this game very hard in many aspects, though i like it very much. Probably i have a wrong mindset spoiled with a modern ("gamer-friendly") games. I often can't find where to go and how to interact with NPC and objects. I spent an hour or more trying to find a riddler in the bar ) or a cave in a Highpool. So, i want to ask: i could not find or mistakenly killed Dan Citrine (son of mayor) in Quartz. Is it crucial for main quest? Or i can leave it be? Question in general: how much are important quests in different towns/locations? Game manual says i have no one and exact quest, just to research "some disturbances". If, for example, i will KILL mayor in Quartz, will i be able to finish the game or i will live in a cursed world, created by myself without any notice about it? Is there a final boss or something (please, no spoilers if possible)), does the game have an ending at all? And if yes, can I fail "side quests" and still complete the game?

Sorry for my poor english and thx in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Gregz

Arcane
Most of Wasteland relies on the same underlying logic:

1) Use items, skills, or attributes on a location or NPC to solve puzzles.
2) Explore. If an area is too difficult, come back later.
3) Refer to the journal frequently.

> Is it crucial for main quest?

No

> does the game have an ending at all?

Yes

> And if yes can I fail "side quests" and still complete?

Yes

JanKrapivin

Novice
Thank you

/offtop: How to put labels on posts like
rating_brofist.png
Brofist?

Krivol

Magister
You can screw up this game in few ways, but 99% of those are by not taking or losing some items (keys, etc).

IIRC there is one place where you will stuck without a shovel (not sure if this is a shovel or rope).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I often can't find where to go and how to interact with NPC and objects

it's not because you're a casual popermoler. wasteland 1's complete lack of direction and requirement of specific interactions to move onwards is just bad design

the philosophy of giving no direction at all works in many older games. games that require very specific use x on y is not one of those cases

Last edited:

JanKrapivin

Novice
the philosophy of giving no direction at all works in many older games. games that require very specific use x on y is not one of those cases

For example? I am rather a newbie in a classic RPG.

I also played Betrayal at Krondor, it was extra hard too. But beautiful altogether, even have read Feist's books after.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's been a while since I played BoK but I certainly don't recall it being hard. It's more of a storyfag game

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
I'm playing through the game for the first time as well via the remaster. Once you get used to it things become a bit easier to figure out, although there are still some strange design choices here and there (such as the temple of the servants of the mushroom cloud later on, which despite the ability for the player to gain entrance to via a password still requires the use of TNT on multiple of the interior doors to reach an integral quest character).

Lemming42

Arcane
I always peace out of Wasteland in the Vegas sewers. Can't take it anymore. I've only fully beaten the game once, I think.

Does the remaster offer any QoL features that make it a significantly better choice over the original?

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
I always peace out of Wasteland in the Vegas sewers. Can't take it anymore. I've only fully beaten the game once, I think.

Does the remaster offer any QoL features that make it a significantly better choice over the original?

From what I can tell (only having ever briefly played the very beginning of the original, mind), the game is pretty much unchanged save for upgraded graphics and music. Granted, those things go a long way, but as far as gameplay I don't think you'll find any real difference.

JanKrapivin

Novice
It's been a while since I played BoK but I certainly don't recall it being hard. It's more of a storyfag game

Remember the place where you have to drop all food to "punish the flash" or, what was that, to gain the secret of some Temple? It was (in)genious move. Could not come to the thought myself, had to check walkthroughs. There were also moments like this, can't remember now. Or super-puzzle-traps, especially in the ending? In general finding smth within look-alike green landscape was annoying. But combat itself was rather easy, maybe even primitive. Except one place in the middle of the game where you have to fight snakepeople magicians.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The main way you get through Wasteland is by using your skills. You can apply any skill to any NPC or spot on the map, so you have to experiment.

If I recall the main plot kicks off once you reach Vegas. Maybe. Can't remember. Just try to explore as much of the map as you can and talk to everyone. In Quartz you're probably just missing a house you could enter somewhere.

JanKrapivin

Novice
the game is pretty much unchanged save for upgraded graphics and music. Granted, those things go a long way, but as far as gameplay I don't think you'll find any real difference.

Are there more than one save slot available?

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
the game is pretty much unchanged save for upgraded graphics and music. Granted, those things go a long way, but as far as gameplay I don't think you'll find any real difference.

Are there more than one save slot available?

Yes. I don't know if there's a limit on saves but I've been alternating between three for my playthrough. There's also quicksaves and I believe autosaves.

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
Just hit the sewers and feel woefully underprepared. Anyone have any tips? I wanted to buy more kevlar but I have no idea how to actually make more money in this game.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I forget where it is exactly but there's a dungeon where you need to climb up to some windows and then jump down, every time you walk along the windows it checks your skills and gives you XP, as long as you give everyone Perception you can gain infinite XP there. Just create a macro to walk up and down along the windows once and hit the button for a while and enjoy your dozens of free levels.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Always play the game using macros. I completed the remastered edition this year and I think it's a weak game, with a simple progression system. I don't see why some consider it a classic.

Krivol

Magister
I forget where it is exactly but there's a dungeon where you need to climb up to some windows and then jump down, every time you walk along the windows it checks your skills and gives you XP, as long as you give everyone Perception you can gain infinite XP there. Just create a macro to walk up and down along the windows once and hit the button for a while and enjoy your dozens of free levels.

Or create char with high LUCK and gambling and gamble, gamble, gamble ;)

it's not because you're a casual popermoler. wasteland 1's complete lack of direction and requirement of specific interactions to move onwards is just bad design

There's a reason for that. Games in that era, before the internet, are purposely made cryptic so they can exhaust the player patience, "forcing" them to buy strategy guides and also to make the game last longer.

It was a profitable business, but it's a terrible game design imo, especially when they made things obtuse as possible.

It's no different than Moon logic puzzles:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoonLogicPuzzle

octavius

Arcane
Patron

There's a reason for that. Games in that era, before the internet, are purposely made cryptic so they can exhaust the player patience, "forcing" them to buy strategy guides and also to make the game last longer.

It was a profitable business, but it's a terrible game design imo, especially when they made things obtuse as possible.

It's no different than Moon logic puzzles:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MoonLogicPuzzle

Wasteland felt a bit too like an Adventure game at times, which is one reason why it's not one my favourites, the other being the insane random encounter rate in Vegas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom