Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Monomyth now on Kickstarter

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
The demo is awesome, except my pc flying up 5 cm in the air cause of the fans spinning .There's also something odd happening at startup, i had a message error not finding VR headset..Launching steam vr get rid of the message, but sadly there's no vr mode. What an opportunity missed in the strecth goals , voice acting is unimportant , but having a vr mode on this is a lot more interisting.
Now how a game done will a lone guy, looking better than underworld ascendant will release in a less than on year? We have quite a few nutjob developpers on the codex, like cleve and pierre, but is he the good kind of nutjob 100% focused on his work ?
When its too good to be true , it usually is.

is it an unreal engine game? use -nohmd as a launch modifier, a lot of devs don't remove the baked-in vr support in UE... RatTower

Yep. Kicked those plugins. For some reason, those are checked by default. Fix coming in the next version tomorrow.

I cannot pick up the bone club. How do?

You can pick up items with F.
Thanks. Figured that out after some flailing. Pretty embarrassing! Now I can't figure out how to cast magic, haha. Are the controls listed anywhere?

Just uploaded a new build.

Controls are now listed under game settings.
5avRVzo.png

You will have to redownload the demo, but you should be able to continue playing with your old character.

Gonna write the full patch notes on KS later (basically just a hotfix for motion blur, Y invert, and mouse sensitivity)

Dr Schultz

Augur
RatTower, allow me this humble suggestion: Drop the dependence between dexterity and hit chance.
I'm a squad tactics fag, I LOVE stat based games, but I find few things annoying like missing a target because of a stat in a first person action combat. It creates moments of complete dissonance between what you see and what you do.
If I were you I'd drop entirely the hits chance, link the dexterity stat to the damage output of ranged and "fineness" weapons and, of course, keep the strength stat for the damage of "heavy" weapons.

But, of course, your game, your rules...

Last edited:

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
RatTower, allow me this humble suggestion: Drop the dependence between dexterity and hit chance.

By any chance: Were you using the wooden club?
Cause I just saw that thing had a reduced range for some reason.

There is no dependence between Dex and hit chance - you probably just couldn't reach your enemy :D
Already fixed it. Gonna be in the next build.
In the current system, dex actually determines the damage bonus/penalty on top of your regular damage (which scales of strength and the respective weapon skill).

Dr Schultz

Augur

There is no dependence between Dex and hit chance - you probably just couldn't reach your enemy :D
In the current system, dex actually determines the damage bonus/penalty on top of your regular damage (which scales of strength and the respective weapon skill).

Understood.

More than the bug, tough, was the description of the stat that fooled me. It is somewhat ambiguous.

So, if I get it right, you hit what you hit and the demage is modified by both Str and Dex.Correct?

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I really loved the level design. Very clear, varied, vertical, with lots of secrets. I do have one big gripe though. The lower right green stone was quite hard to find. And I got lost for an hour searching for it. I remember an NPC that gave some kind of clue but I accidentally exited before I read it all and when I talked to it again, I couldn't get the information again. I had to look for a YouTube video to see where it was. I don't know how I would have found it on my own.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer

Understood.

More than the bug, tough, was the description of the stat that fooled me. It is somewhat ambiguous.

So, if I get it right, you hit what you hit and the demage is modified by both Str and Dex.Correct?

Correct. That and your respective weapon skill.

I really loved the level design. Very clear, varied, vertical, with lots of secrets. I do have one big gripe though. The lower right green stone was quite hard to find. And I got lost for an hour searching for it. I remember an NPC that gave some kind of clue but I accidentally exited before I read it all and when I talked to it again, I couldn't get the information again. I had to look for a YouTube video to see where it was. I don't know how I would have found it on my own.

There are "Personal Notes" under the documents tab in the inventory. That tab should probably be called "Notes" instead.
Regardless, that seal is actually quite tough. At least for the beginning of the game.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
RatTower

Oh, I didn't know you could click Personal Notes. In fact, I didn't even notice it until you told me about it. I thought it was just a header for the notes below.

JDR13

Arcane
I don't like that getting killed simply means respawning at the last shrine I was at with all my items. I hope you're not going to keep it that way for the full game.

I'd much rather you went old-school where death means death and we have to reload from our last save.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It was at ~13k euros when I went to bed, and when I woke up it was at 22k. Nice.

Dr Schultz

Augur
I don't like that getting killed simply means respawning at the last shrine I was at with all my items. I hope you're not going to keep it that way for the full game.

I'd much rather you went old-school where death means death and we have to reload from our last save.

I suppose in the final game there won't be any last save, only shrines, like in Demon's/Dark Souls.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Good point, I've fixed it.

Also: View attachment 20234

I'm getting ahead of the curve on this one.
For money raised over (E)1000, you should roll it up into the highest kickstarter tier it supports, and so on. Such that if you raised (E)1850 post-fees, the codex makes a (E)1000 pledge, (E)600 pledge, and (E)250 pledge.

Maybe this is already the plan, but if not I think it's a good way to add more content to RatTower's game.

JDR13

Arcane

I suppose in the final game there won't be any last save, only shrines, like in Demon's/Dark Souls.

I hope not. I'd rather have a traditional save system. Even if we can only save at the shrines that would be preferable to simply respawning.

Make death have more consequence than just having to recollect XP at the spot where we died.

Dr Schultz

Augur

I hope not. I'd rather have a traditional save system. Even if we can only save at the shrines that would be preferable to simply respawning.

Make death have more consequence than just having to recollect XP at the spot where we died.

Honestly, I have an hard time thinking to a game that creates more tension after a death than Dark Souls.

:eek:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I don't know if it's appropriate for the genre, but if a player is respawning at a shrine, make them respawn naked and do a corpse run. Those are a blast.

edit: probably making it a difficulty option to respawn naked and have to retrieve corpse vs fully geared.

JDR13

Arcane

Honestly, I have an hard time thinking to a game that creates more tension after a death than Dark Souls.

That's a very different kind of game though. I don't think copying that mechanic adds much here.

LudensCogitet

Learned

That's a very different kind of game though. I don't think copying that mechanic adds much here.

I agree. Enemies do not appear to respawn (and I think that's a good thing), which makes having to run back to where ever you were tedious (especially given the size of the environments). A run from point A to point B in Dark Souls is like a brawler / platformer level; a sequence of challenges that can be mastered through repetition and can provide interesting situations even after multiple attempts.

Monomyth so far seems much more about exploration and continuous progress, conquering the environment over time. Dark Souls is good at being Dark Souls, and there are plenty of them. Monomyth is carrying the touch for a much less represented class of game.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Right now you can just die to the enemies, respawn and then finish them off. I think this can lead to abuse and therefore unfun gameplay. I'm not saying it needs to be like Dark Souls but maybe something different.

fork

Let me say that it needs to be like Dark Souls then. It would be a good fit for this type of game and it solves several problems, like it makes difficulty settings unnecessary, prevents save scumming, punishes death, but is motivating because in order to recover your xp, you'll probably have to beat a couple of enemies again, just to name a few.
It's the perfect fit for a game like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom