Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hellraiser

Arcane
THE MIGHT OF LACONIA SHALL NOT STAND IDLY AS HOSTILE FORCES SEEK TO DOOM OUR RACE

This is the FEDERAL NETWORK at 0808 hours, 88 days in the 88th year of the Spartan Era with an urgent address from Federation President Colonel Santiago to the Planetary Council and all of Planet.

LxGQecj.png

The Universe does not wait idly for a species to realize its own mistake. It is an uncaring thing and it treats our whole race not any different from any other pile of random atoms. Fate is entirely in our hands as we stand with the Way right in front of us, and it is up to us to follow the Way avoiding the pitfalls of detours or even worse, avoiding regressing back to where we came.

Thus when we see great crimes, unprovoked aggression, extortion attempts and threats against those who are by no means hostile forces, we must choose to act. Lady Deidre has called upon the factions of Planet to judge, and we the Federation, have judged. Therefore let our judgment be known together with the sentence, to all of Planet!

Lady Deidre Skye is a vile snake plotting against the good-natured peoples of Planet. Her disgusting worms were encroaching upon the University and started the first war on Chiron against a legitimate faction. She plots to enslave mankind using the so called planetmind, make us all puppets to this alien abomination, just like the alien maggots are currently thralls to this repulsive entity. This represents the worst form of treachery against her very own species, on top of clearly hostile actions against numerous of Chiron’s human factions.

The outcome can be just one, death. We will assist the University in cutting down the Gaian threat, thus securing the future for our species.

Our forces have begun their assault of Gaian outposts as we speak. Soon Planet shall know peace again, over the dead body of Deidre Skye.

The FEDERAL NETWORK is joining you live from what is now known as Purification Shores. Just a mere 3 kilometers in that direction fire from Culverin Plasma Cannons can be seen and heard, as brave Spartans assault the first of many maggot nests that Deidre Skye dares to call bases.

While it looks dangerous it actually isn’t, as the Gaian forces are woefully unprepared to face the onslaught of our Elite forces, falling back rapidly with every hour. Spartans on the frontline are quite optimistic, claiming that at this rate Deidre should be within University custody by the end of the coming decade.

1H94VEh.png

This campaign has seen multiple new types of equipment deployed for the first time in combat by our forces. Icarus needlejet bombers, Valkyrie gunships, Jaguar hovertanks, Culverin plasma weapons, Bombard missile weapons, various types of artillery and new, more lethal warships have all been constructed and deployed in a short span of a few years.

On top of it all the service reforms shaped our great armed forces into the pinnacle of human martial prowess, with absolute discipline and skill further augmented with biological, eugenic and transgenic conditioning of the body. The Spartan war machine represents the apex of military might on Chiron deployed in the service of our species. With it the threat of extinction or enslavement at the hands of vile aliens and their human puppets shall be terminated with extreme prejudice.

This is the FEDERAL NETWORK at 1900 hours, 206 days in the 88th year of the Spartan Era. Wisdom is strength, just as big guns are.

With the recent breakthroughs in Fusion Power the scales shift ever so more in our favor, as the top minds of Laconia, such as Dr. Moreau, Professor Cortazar or Dr. Merkwürdigliebe have already started proposing practical applications of this rediscovered technology.

HnivTJc.png

Dr. Merkwürdigliebe: Zee Sturmgewehr particle beam, named zo after a great deutsche kriegskunst innovation, ist a wunderwaffe. Zee power output of zee portable fusion reaktor ist unparalled in delivering gross, and I do mean GROSS, damage to zee untermensch. A marvel of technik fit for the momentous Jahr Acht und Achtzig of zee Spartan Era. Zey shall be like ants beneath a magnifying glass, while we shall be ein Krieg Koloss, Kampf Ubermensch! Sparta Stark! Sparta Strong!

The TURN was 88, an ominous number connected with certain... themes...

:flamesaw:

:discohitler:

:didntreadlol:

...If you know what I mean. A perfect TURN number to execute a (kind of/maybe) surprise attack.

As certain things, with Zakharov’s planes using my bases being the most obvious one, tipped off oldbonebrown, he broke pact on his TURN 88 (he is before me in the TURN order) sending some of mine (and probably also some of his) units back. But it was too late.

The plan was already in motion, and while I did plan to break pact myself on turn 88, the disruption caused by a possible breaking of pact by him first was accounted for in the planning and the most important units were not sent back, as I carefully checked (read: counted like an autist the distance) which sea tiles were closer to my bases while in strike range of his and out of possible scout range.

YxPaaSV.png

Scouts on prior turns found a suitable first target. A new sensor was just put up not long before TURN 88, meaning I had to remove it from Gaian inventory, but I had an idea.

1Orl8F6.png

I put a colony pod on top of it and settled a base, literally removing it from inventory (also declaring WAR) and adding it to mine. Like a thief in the night. Speaking of things in the night, shells in the night followed as the base was used to deploy the actual assault taskforce and strike the Gayans.

Forgot to screenshot combat but all the defenders of Mushroomsoup Mouthfull base were dealt with, without any losses on my side, demonstrating quite well why the first rank in military Deidre held is a bit of a paper tiger. Didn't take or raze any base yet, but that is a matter of time.

ZPmqtQO.png

The above is one of the reasons why the Gaians have to go, look at those bonuses! Made the plane abort that. The Gaians are sitting on top of the +1 planet nexus landmark and have a psionics project further boosting their worms. Add green econ and the Gaian bonus Planet (when we used the mod of merc’s mod they no longer had it, now they do since new mod) and you get a “oh my god that’s so revolting!” stack of psi combat bonuses to quote a JA2 character. I just don’t want to imagine what hideous things could be done with all of those stacked psi combat bonuses later on, best kill it all before it goes out of control.

Furthermore, after last game, I wanted to demonstrate to oldbonebrown just how exactly it would look like if I really wanted to go after him with a plan in place. Just so that he knows for the future.

There was also another reason:

I6eqJD2.png

Fusion Power, which they just finished researching and I really wanted, in hindsight the research should have been delayed, as oldbonebrown rushed his Hunter-Seeker Algorithm project and on TURN 89 I wouldn’t be able to probe shit (until that thing would get neutralized, unless we left in algorithmic enhancement unit abbility in the mod?). That’s one of those little things one learns the hard way in PBEM I guess.

Got as lucky with this probe as this TURN was my only chance to steal it (for a while anyway), just as I got lucky last game when the only tech (out of 3 I could steal) I stole from oldbonebrown’s Believers was the Planetary Energy Grid one allowing me to steal the project from him. Could have gotten something way less useful in both instances, that game and in this one. Oh and it seems the fusion tech gibs fusion laser now, which I think might be overkill. Fusion reactors alone are good, not to mention fusion labs.

In other news, lost my top spot in score and also in pop a while back, now it is Lal first, Morgan second and me/Zakharov(Kalin)/Deidre(oldbonebrown) very close to each other in 3rd. Hive is lagging in last place behind everyone. BING XI LAO took over the Hive as madbringer had some hospital stay a while back nobody knew about (we thought he wuz dead and TURN didn’t flow, but he got better and told what happened), so he will now play the Hive.

Lost the top spot mostly because Lal is pop booming, and also because some people got some new tech while I am behind and just had a bunch of turns where I maximized yehzah and slowed down research in preparation for this war.

Sucks Kalin got temp banned for a month when the conflict with Gayans escalates, we might miss out on great University updates ITT because of it.

Oh and forgot to put it in the update, but globalwarmthinkery struck and sea levels started rising as usual. I wonder if we can mod the pollution trigger for it to be way higher, vs AI it is not a huge deal since AI triggers less pollution IIRC, but with 7 players in a game it is hard not to trigger it.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
MUSIC TO CARPET BOMB MINDWORMS TO

This is the FEDERAL NETWORK at 2000 hours, 107 days in the 90th year of the Spartan Era. We support the fight against the traitors of mankind.

The glorious offensive that begun with Operation Jahr 88, continues to bring great victories over the genetically inferior slaves of the planetmind.

Last year Concentration Camp Alpha was established, in a base that was once ridiculously named Sunbaked Mushroomsoup. The purification effort there is making great progress, with full purification expected to occur in the year 93 of the Spartan Era.

So far the Gaians tried to fight back only once against our Spartans, using an isle of the deep, which was killed with no issue whatsoever by the defending SNV “Drake”, a Drake class warship it foolishly picked as its target. In the 3 years of the campaign our forces have not suffered any considerable losses. Today came another victory.

After a thorough and extremely devastating artillery barrage by allied University forces, the maggot den known as Greenforestgrove has been napalm carpet bombed by multiple Federation Icarus bombers equipped with hi-tech counter-psionic antennas. The enormous swarm of boils, concentrated in 3 large groups inside the Gaian slum, has been burned to ash along with most of the alleged city.

VnH1oG6.png

All surviving enemy forces or structures were destroyed by the Valkyrie aces of the Black Squadron in a mop-up air raid. What was once the base is now a smoldering crater filled with still burning debris, toxic fumes and possibly still contaminated by xenospores, alien maggots or soy. Therefore Sparta Command has designated the immediate vicinity of the former and definitely no longer existing base as restricted area 88, forbidding entry to all but authorized military forces of the Federation and the University, for the safety of our helots and foreign civilians. Rest assured, the Federation will not let anyone innocent get tainted by the local hazards to mind and body.

Furthermore Leadership and Heritage Officers alike will remind citizens that it is not allowed to spread fake news regarding a “manifold nexus” or “hunter-killer mainframe” present at or near the destroyed Gaian base. Sparta Command confirmed once again, now that troops have scouted the rubble field of the former base, that no such things ever existed, and that the rumors of such are outright lies, similar to global warming and rising sea levels, meant to distract helots from real problems our species is facing. Problems such as traitors to our very race.

x0wji87.jpg

The frontiline has moved far west in just 3 years, and it is expected it will move further and even faster in the coming years, as new reinforcements are pouring into the combat theatre. With 2 Spartan fortresses established and two enemy bases neutralized, the enemy defense has proven itself to be ineffective against our and the University’s martial genius. While Sparta Command does not comment on the exact strength of the Gaian resistance to our offensives, independent Federal Network analysts have expressed a concise, but also fair and unbiased opinion on the matter.

Totally Impartial Federal Network Expert: The Gaians have no organized defense or proper plan to form one, this war will be short.

ACCESSING SPARTAN SECURE DATALINKS

ACESS KEY VERIFIED – NIETZSCHE LEVEL CLEARANCE GRANTED

FILE 877FFE14 DECRYPTING

FILE 877FFE14 OPENING

FILE DESCRIPTION: Security Footage from secure comms room Prime, Command Nexus “Blakemore”, Fort Survivalist.

Cortazar spoke with enthusiasm one would never expect from him. He was standing on the surface with no mask, having undergone an experimental procedure that allows one to breath the ever increasing from introduced forests, kelp and cyanobacteria, but still too small, oxygen content of the atmosphere.

“Sir, he’s too giddy about this,” Captain Ida Westgard reported to her commander. “Could end up turning into some Failed Ones’ cultist, or worse.”

With one movement of the head, Major Höheresspiel let her know he disagreed and that she should be quiet as the message continued.

iGzDPJI.png

“I am confident that the structures are stable, and I believe still intact,” Cortazar said in the message. “With enough time and proper equipment, I have no doubt that I will be able to decipher the control patterns.”

“You see Captain,” the Major started explaining, “while the man’s fascination might be a risk, risks must be taken. Was it not a risk for the proto-amphibian ancestors of our species to crawl out of the ocean onto the land? Was it not a risk for your parents to board the Unity in the first and only attempt men have made to cross interstellar space? Note that in both those cases the rewards were not obvious. The amphibians did not know that they had no hope to build civilization underwater without an open sky above them allowing fire to be discovered and tamed. Your parents did not know humans on earth would go extinct or that our Colonel would be the leader to follow! After all they elected to join the Spartans shortly before planetfall, embracing the Spartan Way only then while being ignorant of it and the Spartan warnings until that very moment.”

“There is a reward, a prize to be claimed from Cortazar’s eagerness to learn about the aliens.” The Major continued. “The risk must be taken, but it cannot be ignored, contingencies need to be in place. Such as a field fusion reactor with a safety switch, delivered to Area 88, that should act as a purification device should anything undesirable happen, but until that point will be just another mobile power source used by the researchers.”

“What can we gain from this Nexus if we don’t know what to expect?” Ida asked him.

“Answers about the threat to our species, Captain,” he replied. “We are on a planet where far advanced beings were once present, they left behind advanced machinery but no proper cities or ruins of a large civilization, thus suggesting they could not have evolved here. They were as alien to this place as we are, obviously. Is the planetmind their creation, and this planet one giant lab? Did they merely find it and begun studying it? Maybe they tried uplifting it, seeing the psionic potential of the fungus. It is not merely technology of theirs that would be useful, but also we should know why they are no longer here, and if we should fear them or perhaps fear something that made them go away.”

“Knowledge using which we can stay on the Way and avoid extinction, grow stronger, better, purer...” Ida concluded.

“Yes, Captain, as with every action this too is being taken without losing sight of the Spartan Way. Cortazar has his role in it, he will succeed even if he fails in learning much, and if he betrays the Way we will end him in an instant. Just like we do with the Gaian race traitors.”

The TURN was 90, the Gaians are losing every engagement so far.

Last two TURNS have brought the capture of two bases, Mushroomsoup Mouthfull which is now named Concentration Camp Alpha...

Af5MIht.png

... and in the process of being starved to death (just as I did with Believers way back when). And I also captured Greenforestgrove. That last one was captured just on this TURN 90 and was a key objective as...

wnIZ0WZ.png

...it housed the Hunter-Seeker Algorithm and controlled the Planetary Nexus landmark which is right next to it, I renamed that base to Area 88 as homage to groom lake and certain... themes... related to this Spartan Offensive. Of course for propaganda LARP purposed Sparta denies any of those exist, but I’m keeping the base for as along as that is practical (besides the project it has nice mineral production and facilities, which might be useful during this war despite the occupation drones).

All of that means I got a relative +2 planet (30%) advantage to fighting gaian alien crap now (+15% to my side, -15% to Gaians), which will make further worm purging a bit easier (we were 4 vs mine 2, now it is 3 vs 3 planet). An unfortunate loss for the soypeople obviously, but a huge gain for the forces of reason.

That and finally the following is no longer valid:

1tSPPEw.png

Seriously, I just can’t tech to projects this game. Worst I ever did with getting projects in PBEM. I mean the project I just got is nice and it puts me at the same number of projects acquired as in 2 prior PBEM games, but it is no PEG, Virtual World, Weather Paradigm, Cyborg Factory, Cloning Vats or Human Genome Project.

Maybe if it wasn’t for the Believing squatters I could have gotten one earlier on. Not only did I have to conquer them and purge them for room, I had to move my HQ as the inefficiency hit from distance was severe which probably also negatively impacted my builder game (only moved it during attack preparations a few turns back), in addition to the initial lack of expansion room.

Area 88 was fairly difficult to take this turn. I got a bit lucky as I won all my attacks so I could take it now rather than a turn or two later, it contained 3 boils plus 2 worm defense garrisons. I again forgot to screenshot combat.

Kalin’s artillery pounded everyone inside to half-health so I sent in with newly upgraded elite empath Icarus jets to napalm bomb the worms from above. If any of them failed it is likely I would have to wait a turn or two before I could take the base. University air support also helped with securing this objective, by destroying a road through which reinforcements could come.

Then I mopped up the paper armor defenders and a terraformer with a single Valkyrie copter (we need to nerf the movement on copters for next game, 8 is too much for fission choppas), killing 3 units with one copter in one turn, after that copter already murdered two Gaian probe teams a turn earlier more than paying for itself.

Took the base with an elite Jaguar hovertank (4 moves and ignores terrain, very useful) which was retreated into safety afterwards. There was a worm boil in the back behind the base on the road, waiting for christmas or something, it got its own dose of napalm from above as a gift.

WQvJMFj.png

Also killed some pesky probe teams and sunk two isles of the deep so far, one on defense and one earlier with a lucky artillery shot IIRC (or I might be imaging things).

His bonuses don’t help his isles much, naval artillery can one shot kill isles with long range fire if it has enough attack (including morale, impact foils can do it sometimes even, if they have enough morale) bypassing the psi project +50% psi defense bonus (probably). And on offence, despite +4 planet, the +60% he had was applied to an attack of 1 against a defense of 1, so my ships have very good odds of surviging, and on average those isles of the deep are more expensive than the ships (unless they were free captures).

This is what the Gaians had on turn 87, before I started murdering them:

HEd6skl.png

That chaos jet was never built (switched to a missile or something).

They lost at least 2 isles of the deep, 6 mindworm boils, 2 terraformers (including a superformer), 3 probe teams and a number of trance scouts so far from my side. Kalin also killed a bunch of Gaian stuff, including a foil with a worm boil and some other worm boil. And he is no doubt enjoying the revenge for TURNs of Gayan harassment by bringing the fight to the Gaian continent, his artillery support is quite crucial during this campaign so far as my artillery seems to be moving slower than expected (not for long though).

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
BALL LIGHTNING – ROLLING THUNDER

This is the FEDERAL NETWORK at 2000 hours, 52 days in the 93rd year of the Spartan Era. Remember: the Spartan Way does not lead back, it only leads forward towards the Golden Destiny of Mankind. SPARTA STRONG!

The traitors of our species tremble as our campaign of shock, awe and raw strength continues.

Following multiple surgical air strikes against targets that would otherwise slowdown our glorious 5 year long march forward, combat helot detachments have used last year’s capture of Concentration Camp Beta, formerly known as Bay of Worms, to facilitate a bold new offensive.

First a routine combat air recon mission confirmed the status of roads leading to the Worm Willow base and identified an enemy worm boil protecting it. The mindworms were burned with the standard napalm saturation procedure by the squadron, followed by the dispatching of a second squadron armed with Richter-2 Anti-infrastructure bombs, cutting off the city from potential reinforcements or recapture attempts.

Following final confirmation of success and that the plan can proceed, the first phase of operation “Ball Lightning – Rolling Thunder” begun with the rapid construction of two critical road pieces. A pair of combat helot crews used the first road segment codenamed “Ball Lightning”.

Next an air strike, the “Rolling Thunder”, cleared the forest surrounding the Camp Beta Borehole, this in turn allowed another pair of helot detachments, delivered via Rommel Hovertank Troops Carriers to erect a new road quickly with no trees in the way. With it Worm Willow was connected once more to a road network, the Spartan combat road network.

An enemy mindworm boil was found blocking the way forward to the objective, it was destroyed and the Rommel Troops Carriers helped our ground forces move into position for attack. The two enemy boils inside and a company of their human handler fell quickly to the superior firepower and mobility of the Jaguar Hovertanks and Mechanized Spartans.

ikZvuno.png

Upon capture of the base it was confirmed that it housed the Neural Amplifier, a device that made the psionic emanations of enemy maggots stronger. With the device no longer in Gaian possession their already insufficient defense against our unstoppable advance becomes much weaker.

Initializing...

MINDJACK 2.3 is now in sync with visual cortex.

MINDJACK 2.3 accessing area_88_net.

CONNECTING to server area_88_net\hk\hk_log\

Hunter-Seeker log server responds: handshake ok.

ACCESSING log files...

MvduANU.png

Bombs - airstrike
Explosion - artillery strike
Tank - ground assault

Thread 16: Counteroffensive north of Concentration Camp Alpha, located four boils, Valkyrie Red squadron destroyed 2 boils, suffered heavy damage. Result below projection.

Thread 3: Missile attack on southern flotilla. Three out of four ships lost, losses above projected value. Change of strategy necessary, new ship classes need to be deployed.

Thread 7: Rolling Thunder underestimated distance, solved with APC support, failure lead to adaptation, adaptation lead to success. Analyzing officer decision process.

Thread 13: Gaian missile attacks of 2193 biased towards University targets, consequence of deployment of countermeasures. Scenario 99.992% in line with projection 72f9c1.

Thread 5: Gaian military continues to make same mistakes, no change in strategy needed. Continue towards operation Carthage.

Thread 4: Updating zero hour data, propagating decision chain, evaluating likely Gaian eradication date.

Prime Thread: I process and propagate the consequences in a million decision chains in the time it takes Cortazar to blink. Every action he does I already saw thousands of times before he even thought of doing it. And here you are, reading one of my plans upon plans, just as it was projected.

Connection to Hunter-Seeker Log server lost.

WARNING: NEURAL DAMAGE

WARNING: COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT OFFLINE

WARNING: BACKUPS ERASED

WARNING: NO BRAIN ACTIVITY

WARNING: CANNOT MESSAGE MEDICAL TEAM

WARNING: CRITICAL SYSTEM FILE CORRUPTED, THIS MINDJACK WILL NOW SHUTDOWN, CONTACT TECHNICAL SUPPORT OR CONSULT THE USER MANUAL

The TURN was 93, after securing Bay of Worms a TURN earlier I scouted a nice target and came up with a plan to take it, once some things aligned.

On TURN 93 I realized I could already go for it, had just enough planes to do it, barely. Killed a worm guarding a road, bombed the road to deny reinforcements as usual. Had to also destroy a forest in my own territory, or else the formers would never build the road on the same turn. Luckily neither of those actions failed, but if one did, I would just regroup, entrench and attack next turn.
YqWkDkd.png

iZeU8T2.png

Oh yeah, this single Jaguar tank went going for a double kill with blitzkrieg power.

Fy2C5Kk.png

Mopped up with a proper conventional assault tank and of course...

ukY3YvT.png

...captured the base with it and retreated. You can see the road I built.

Compared to other possible targets this one had few defenders inside and just 2 psi combats to deal with. Sure I had to kill 2 more worms outside of the base to also be sure I could take the base, but that was not a huge problem compared to other targets.

That project was a source of much annoyance, now Gayan worms are worse in defending by 1/3, which makes it way easier for me to push forward. Combined with the earlier planet rating parity I achieved when I took control of the Manifold Nexus from oldbonebrown now I don’t need to bother with empath units specifically against worms.

Thought I would need one more TURN before I could take the base, but despite most planes being on their rest on this TURN, I managed to scrounge up just barely enough squadrons to do what I needed to do.

Starving the base to death will take a while, but this thing has to go, as does the rest of the Gaians.

Gaians still have two secret projects left under their control, but they’re not that much of a problem compared to the two I already took from them. The Supercollider is inside the crater base Seers of Chiron, unsurprisingly since the crater is a good place for a project building base.

The Longetivity Vaccine is somewhere else further behind the frontline.

Some sneaky worms tried to attack from the north of Concentration Camp Alpha, but I had air patrols which found and killed half of them. I reinforced the base, so even if it does get attacked they face elite troops with +3 planet, the amplifier bonus and some other bonuses, including trance IIRC. Worst they kill two defenders and I take them out next turn.

Gaian unit numbers/losses:

IQpX6pr.png

They have that and 15 bases left.

Their missile attacks aren’t doing much. I was not really prepared for such an eventuality when I launched the invasion on TURN 88, had to improvise a bit before proper AAA defenders came in to avoid major losses.

Missiles managed to kill a plane squadron in a base (had to put it there to attack with it and not crash from no fuel) and 3 ships (not unexpected, but finding 3 or 4 ships hidden in fog of war is rather lucky).

The worm count is finally falling. Anyway the worms are not doing much, I have just two losses to worms, one was a copter that stupidly ended moves next to one. Also lost a tank due to stupidity/bad luck, it ended up with no moves after psi combat, unlike the one that moved a lot and did two attacks this turn. If it had at least one move left I would have retreated it out of counterattack range.

Anyway it is kind of over for worms now, as I have the psi amplifier.

TURN 93 Power Graph:

fhFQmDa.png

Game still lies that Gaians are top in military. Oh and we just had a vote to scrap the unity fusion core. Since it took place just on the turn before mine, oldbonebrown didn’t spend the money before I took the base so I looted something like 50 credits when I took the base.

Their 4 bases lost out of 19 bases total is not much looking at their power graph, there is a drop but that is not so spectacular so far. Although maybe the graph didn’t update after I took the Neural Amplifier, I’ll see next turn.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
SCHWERZPUNKT

This is the FEDERAL NETWORK at 2000 hours, 203 days in the 95th year of the Spartan Era. The federal effort and journey along the Way require both Jaguar commanders crushing our enemies and helots building seawalls against the coming flood!

Recently the message from Sparta Command regarding the war effort is a simple one, the enemy defensive effort has been sent into complete disarray. Last year’s capture of Liberation through Labor, formerly known as Seers of Chiron, has effectively granted our Spartan forces undisputed control over the majority of the continent, in addition to control over the Supercollider installation.

GgQmgxC.png

With the bulk of the still surviving Gaian forces tied up around Worm’s Preach, and with complete control over the skies of the Conluvia continent, our enormous air force could strike or scout multiple targets of opportunity well within range of Jaguar hovertanks and mechanized infantry as part of Operation Schwerzpunkt.

Exploiting the lack of mobility on the side of alien puppets, our ground forces launched Operation Schwerzpunkt and were able to capture 3 Gaian outposts this year: Gaia’s Landing, Virgin Planet and Wormsong. Additionally with the help of our University allies they have liberated Concentration Camp Beta after it was briefly seized by a Gaian amphibious assault, and managed to obliterate all defenders guarding Worm’s Preach from the south and inside of the base, and further punish multiple hostile units.

The current situation is dire for the Gaians, brave Spartans hold Santiago’s Crater and the surrounding area with a firm iron alpha male grip. The enemy forces are now largely split apart, with most bases now within Federation striking distance poorly defended or not at all. We have now entered into a clean-up phase, executing the final answer to the Gaian question, just as a major milestone was reached with the full disbandment of Concentration Camp Alpha, which has successfully finished its mission of purification.

i3dEUfO.png

The Planet Speaks-Worm’s Preach defensive line has been crippled with multiple air strikes, artillery barrages and now with a large-scale ground assault on Worm’s Preach itself, by mechanized infantry aided by combat helot detachments constructing combat roads. While some boils remain in the immediate vicinity of the base, they are out of range to strike back and our superior artillery has crippled them from afar, in preparation for capturing of the base in the near future now that all defending garrisons inside the base were fully annihilated.

To the west there is a single base still connected to the road network, which has avoided occupation due to its low value and isolated nature. Another base further west is isolated and of no strategic importance.

The north-west has only two bases, one of which is again isolated, making them doomed when the time comes.

South of the crater and of Liberation through Labor, all bases connected to the road network have been captured. The outposts further south are separated by rough fungal terrain, which ensures they cannot pose any significant threat to our operations elsewhere, and that they indeed can be viewed as isolated holdouts.

The TURN was 95, it is more or less over for the Gaians.

As visible on the war status map in the update, I managed to capture 4 bases in two turns, 3 of which on turn 95. At the same time up to 3 bases are effectively ripe for capture next year, out of the remaining 11. Out of those the 8 that will take longer to capture are mostly garbage bases or so isolated they pose no threat due to the difficult of joining their forces with or otherwise supporting other bases on defence.

While I planned on ignoring Worm's Preach for a while longer, besieging it with artillery and killing any boil stupid enough to come close to my positions, I saw an opportunity to kill two conventional missiles inside of it. Well that and I had some infantry that had nothing better to attack, while there were 90% damaged (from my artillery) worm boils around.

I might still suffer some losses from misclicks and brainfarts, such as losing a probe team recently (1/3 move too little) or indeed getting Concentration Camp Beta captured (ironically this made it easier for me to probe tech and means it will take less time to purge the base).

However the general strategic situation looks extremely bad for the Gaians, as I almost routed the worm swarm around Worm’s Preach and that is their largest concentration of force. The rest will most likely be mole popping.

Here are their current forces:

nkA11Yz.png

They’ll get some new worms and missiles, but at this point any unit of my units that isn’t a former, transport or probe team can kill Gaian worms. Well ok, artillery can’t kill them, but it can make them a pushover.

Of course as seems to always be the case whenever I want to murder a faction, there is a rather obnoxious Geh ritual in progress:

pynNOXL.png

Dunno where he plans to run with that, but chances are he’ll get a few ships coming his way.

The total Gaian pop is currently 86, but 5-23 of it they will lose next year. Short of some clever tricknolodgy I expect they will lose the 23 pop. Which is over a quarter of what they have left.

Anyway the vote for governor is up so here’s an overview of the current population sizes:

79UCq85.png

Lal – 201 pop (200% votes)

Santiago – 173

Morgan – 173

Zakharov – 136 (150% votes)

83 – Deidre

65 – Yang

This might change a lot in the near future, in part because of this:

7sy6Yjo.png

Seems eco damage managed to trigger a higher rise of sea levels, now here’s the thing, it seems the 400-ish meters are combined with the previously announced amount. But that message was supposed to raise the sea on turn 108 (triggered on turn 88), and this one just popped up. So now I do not know what will happen, but I expect either of the three:

a. On turn 108 we get 460 meters of sea water.
b. On turn 108 we get 60-ish meters of sea water and 400 meters extra on turn 115.
c. On turn 115 we get 450 meters of sea water.

Oh and a bigger decline in Gaian score is already visible on the graph. Looks like the Hive will surpass them soon.

oqzYurx.png

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
This is University's Computer Assissted Biologically Augmented Lifeform mainframe. As per commands of Provost Zakharov, please read the following message:

forgothowtomakescanlinesfuggzywiecistoblame.png

University Ahnenerbe Institute Virtual World Auto-Newsfeed

Election aftermath - Provost Zakharov belatedly congratulates Governor Lal on statistical freak electoral victory whilst simulatenously designating Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang as "most dedicated ally of Peacekeeping Forces" -- with all of which that entails. In other news, Human Hive diplomats and commercial agents previously hosted in University Base Luxury Suite Paradise Mansions have been physically reassigned to sub-humanoid dropzone 47 poz-pit contagion zone due to unspecified though assuredly most legitimate reasons unconfirmed to be related to perceived political shifts.

Cultists close to extinction - Spartan offensives expunge mentally deficient degenerate terrorists at most rapid pace. Re-re-re-conquest of Concentration Camp Beta carried out by Uni-Sec forces resulted in complete lawful extermination of said site. Desperate cultists now massacre their own brethren in blatant violation of U.N. charter. Sabotaging of Longevity Vaccine classified as typical religitardoid behaviour proving once again the need to contain exremist thought. Uni-Sec involvement is henceforth limited in scope following complete loss of all artillery and Terminator squads to sudden flooding. Though obsolete, said units were tasked with retrieval of Deirdre Skye for the Provost's personal interrogation. Provost Zakharov has lamented the loss of an opportunity to dissect the diseased "mind" of the adversary, opting to rely on Santiago to "finish the job".

keilahkangwasahotthotuntilshestartedpostingpicsw--ith-herbfdisgustingtbhoverthatbitchnow.png

University Census journal update - As of latest recorded census data the enlightened University now comprises majority cybernetic superhumanoids as contrasted with shockingly low levels of enhancement among competing factions. Complete distribution of non-genejackoid population: 53.27% Cyberoid Talent, 24.18% Sub-Humanoid Servidroid, 17.96% Cyberoid basic, 2.41% Humanoid Unenhanced, 1.24% Sub-Humanoid Dronoid Basic, 0.83% Khymeroid Basic, 0.09% Sub-Humanoid Repuslive, 0.01% Humanoid-Inceloid Foul Impurestrain, 0.06% Psykeroid Unhinged, 0.02% Khymeroid Enhanced, 0.01% Psykeroid Purestrain, 0.01% Khymeroid Experimental.

Climate change, finally real - University climatologists confirm rapid sea level increase in conjunction with previous cap-melt analysis indicating wide-spread destruction of lives and property. Large-scale land-raising operations and permanent orbital solar shade solutions pursued with utmost credit. Flooding and re-routing of rivers fill up boreholes; currently endanger Telepathic Observatory. Repeat. Cloning Vats, Empath Guild and Cyborg Factory endangered by flooding. Faculty staff is reminded not to panic; this is merely a glitch. Science finds a way. Repeat. This is merely a glitch>

Lithium subspace connection lost...
Launching neurochemical calming protocols...
Empathic pacifying protocol implemented...
Virtual World kill-switches activated...
C-47 with port warp core polarity impaired...
Pressure dome emergency protocols offline...
Fusion pump capacity conditioners not responding...
Multi-isolinear subactuators offline...
Broadcast: "Do NOT riot. Rioters will be exterminated on sight"...
Fluctuations in the carbon biochip...
Broadcast: "Comply -- so that you won't die"...
Repeat>

This is Kalin speaking. TURN is 97 and the world is sinking. Launch the damn solar shade! Out of nothing my best base is now endangered. Boreholes sink, then reemerge, then sink again. All ground troops in Gaian territory lost to missile bombardment and being submerged. Area 88 is also about to sink. It's Waterworld. How hard did Miriam pray? If I lose that base it's worse than getting hit by the meteor. Other than that, things aren't too shabby. Basemaxxing. Need to catch up. Lal is out-teching me, Morgan makes megabux. Every turn is wasted raising terrain to combat sea level increase. Need more formers and need them yesteryear. As for who did this, it is possible I have been running massive eco damage, but frankly if other factions were more sensible it would've evened out. Very selfish of them to further aggregate conditions like this.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Yeah, as Kalin wrote via his prestigious potato proxy Storyfag, sea level ITZ is most obnoxious. It happened 11 turns sooner than expected. I only lost some tiles and formers (that would have finished raising land on the same TURN ugh) so far because it progressed too fast. Worst of all those were the Area 88 formers, that were elite and now that base might sink if the flooding also occurs next year before my panic rush of the pressure dome there finishes. I think I have 3 more bases potentially threatened, I figure this is the planetmind trying to do me in for standing up for the freedoms of Mankind. Anyway panic rushed more pressure domes.

This is what I get for not testing global warming sea level rise in a test scenario thoroughly back when I was checking this out 3 games ago. I also think I misunderstood how the mechanic works from the following post:

https://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?topic=3262.0

1. Find the current water level (0 is what it starts as; it's increased by global warming and the "Melt the Polar Ice Caps" council action, and lowered by launching a solar shade, but it only counts the "Global sea levels are rising dramatically!" and "Global sea levels are falling dramatically!" messages that come with actual changes, not the "the sea will rise/fall X amount over the next Y years" messages. Each message increases/decreases it by 1.) Multiply this by 3.
2. Divide this by the "Sea level rises" value from ALPHAX worldbuilding.
3. Add 6.
4. Count the number of worm-producing fungal pops (by any faction) since the last time a "the water has begun rising" message appeared. If this is at least as much as the result from step 3, the water will begin to rise.

I'm not sure now if step 4 means water rises and tiles get flooded as a result of step 4 or if it only triggers the message that sea levels will rise. If it is the former then that's rather punishing. This mechanic is poorly documented so it is hard to tell, and apparently exe mods all use assembly and binary editing, rather than c++, to hack the exe so it is very unlikely I can just look at the code and figure out how the hell this works since it is too much effort.

I figure for next game we should just up the number of fungal pops needed to trigger sea level rise with the following lines of alphax.txt, since this mechanic is a lot more unpredictable and thus a lot less manageable than expected.

Code:
1, 1     ; Numerator/Denominator for frequency of global warming (1,2 would be "half" normal warming).

5,   ; Sea Level Rises  (Magnitude of sea level changes from ice cap melting/freezing)

I think Grimgravy has the tech to call the solar shade vote (and only him so far), but since he called the unity fusion core vote shortly after Jahr 88 he can't call another vote for a solar shade until 3-5 more turns.

Last edited:

oldbonebrown

Arcane

Exit statement by Deirdre Skye - The Flood marks the End of Gaia
M.Y. 2195 - Worm Willow
I can hear the thunder approaching in the east. The end of our mission on Planet is nigh.
Our earthly brothers and sisters has chosen the path of ignorance and fear.
But there is no reason for Gaia's Stepdaughters to be afraid, for this is only the beginning of a greater adventure.
Through the Neural Amplifier I have shown you all a glimpse of what lies beyond the veil of death.
A new adventure is about to begin as we leave our physical bodies behind and join Planet psionically in the depths.

I have chosen to stay behind at the site of the Neural Amplifier, to continue the work with the Planet mind, to the very end.
We shall all soon join Miriam and the Lord's Believers, no longer only in dreams, but within the endless ocean of the Planet Mind. Nothing on Chiron is lost, as those who went before us has shown.
Our oppressors doomed themselves the day they sent Sister Miriam as humanity's liaison with Planet. She knew what to do with the sons and daughters of Cain, those with no regard for life.
Planet has judged them, and now they will be washed away.

The battle has been lost, but the war against our oppressors will rage on.
Gather your hatred as you prepare to leave your body behind. For we are great in the mind of Planet. And as we merge with it, we shall be the its new council.
Within the fungal passageways of Chiron, our psionic imprint will echo forever. Deep in the fungal network we shall make the worms boil with our fury.
Planet is rising! The flood will be but the first strike, we shall deliver the second.

Fear not, beyond the doors of death Planet is waiting for you with open arms.
You and I will dance forever within the ocean mind of Planet.

Exit statement by Linda Carcosa - We Lay Our Lives Down
M.Y. 2195 - RedGreen Forests-Edge
Friends, as the psionically sensitive among you have already sense, our leader has given the word that the war is lost. The complete occupation of our lands is imminent.
As the governor of RedGreen Forests-Edge I refuse to let my people suffer the slow death of the Spartan concentration camps. The site of the Longevity Vaccine project, a symbol of life, the rose of Gaia, is too treasured to be handed over to robber hands.
If we are to die then let us not suffer any further indignities - let us lay our bodies down willingly! And join the good Lady within the depths of Planet today!
This is not a suicide, to live on as slaves of our oppressors would be! Within Planet our new lives will begin!

m99rl7w.jpeg

Exit statement by Agnes Hillevidóttir - The Sisterhood
M.Y. 2197 - Wormsong
The foul character of University academician Prohkor Zakharov stands undisputed. A petty aggressor, a cheater, a liar and a danger to his environment.
He promised to see further than the common man, but instead he started a war over an argument about the theoretical science of the capacity of Chiron's fungal network. Perhaps he should get his subcontractor Morgan Industries to make him some glasses.

Only on one point did he finally come through, the prophesied military supremacy of University has been revealed. By making Sparta his dog, he found the bite to back up his own empty barking. As Sparta obediently attacks as its master commands, Colonel Santiago can be sure of what Zakharov calls her behind her back.
Yes, "finish the job" you bitch. Very good work by the Spartan division of University Enforcement.

You're not the top dog here, behind you your hook-nosed master is laughing as you deny our surrender.
Let it be remembered when Sparta falls, that they threw away all of Gaia. The full Gaian army and industrial capacity they threw away, just because the mind worms makes Santiago squirm like a little girl.
Let it be remembered that Sparta needlessly genocided the population of Gaia's Stepdaughters, and turned a thriving land into death and despair.
The rising tide is Miriam's hands around your neck - now my hands will be joining my sister's! Drown in hell you rabid dogs, the wormboils will molest your bloated corpses.
i5EvCBR.png

WormSong

Exit statement by Madeleine Devi - Childhood's End
M.Y. 2199 - Childhood's End
This is the final broadcast of Gaia's Stepdaughters.
Here at Childhood's End, our most remote outpost, we await the end.
The devils will soon consume the last of us, just as the flood is coming, to consume them in turn.
Cheaters, liars, murderers and whores. Away with them all.
Representing the last of Gaia's Stepdaughters and the Voice of Planet, we put our final hope in humankind - with Commissioner Pravin Lal. Among the remaining leaders of man he alone has stood on the side of life and for that Planet has taken notice.
The Peacekeeping Forces and their mission carries with it the last of our race's dignity.
We have transferred all available technology, material and energy credits to the U.N. Headquarters. As the last remaining Mother of Gaia's Stepdaughters, I also pass to Pravin Lal, the right to speak for Planet in the tongues of Earth. And as long as Pravin Lal is a politician on Chiron, he shall have the Green vote.

Though you may have yet to see the full scope of what awaits in the fungal depths, the fungal depths have seen you. Save your species, Earth-Lal.
Planet is Rising.

I edited this into a previous post that's correct in the Timeline of the game corresponding to my loss
All I'm hearing is a group of excessive polluters whining over consequences for their own actions.
Hellraiser just hates Gaia as a faction so much that he wants to nerf their purpose in this game. Xenopurge the entire game probably.
What we need is to have the Alien Crossfire features added. Some good fungal towers and sealurks to remind you of the 8th faction, Planet.

Native life should be set to High next game either way, I barely lost a thing to native worms the entire game and I went looking a lot. Trying to Pearl Hunt really didn't pay off.

Hellraiser absolutely destroyed me. It was fascinating to see really. He wrote that he wanted to show what would've happened last game if he had gotten the chance to invade me, but it was much better this way because last game I didn't even pretend to have a defence - I knew I was completely helpless then. The way he ran through me this game was much more impressive to me. I had a very lacking set-up, and it was especially impressive how well he used this to cover his troops - leaving only University troops as targets for my missiles and worms.

I had a little bit of bad luck and the tech tree to explore Psi was not fun at all, but I also took several bad decisions. If I had followed some of my plans earlier in the game I would've been in a better position to deal with it, lessons learned for another time.
When I settled that town closest to Sparta I really wanted to make a fungal wall towards that side of the ocean. But I had not accounted for just how long it takes to Terraform Plant Fungus. 6 turns seems excessive for Planting it.

If eventually there's another game (and depending on what mod we run) I would like to play as The Cult of Planet.
It is probably a bad idea for me to request the weakest faction, but I resonate with Cha a lot...
at some point in this Gaia-game I wanted to slowly rename all of my bases to those of the Planet Cult and to in one way or another roleplay out the coming of Cha Dawn as the new leader of my faction.
But I lost track of that when the TURN rate slowed down and I was mostly playing during work hours with my head in something else.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
FEDERAL TRIUMPH

This is the FEDERAL NETWORK at 2000 hours, 36 days in the 99th year of the Spartan Era, staying vigilant against the looming threat posed by rivers!

After last year’s pioneering marine assault by the Armada Spartans launched against Velvetgrass Point, this year the Armada Spartans have seized the most coveted of all prizes, ultimate victory over the Gaian forces.

33GOBzU.png

The marines attacked the Coral Peak base, now stuck on a tiny new island due to recent sea level rises, from aboard the SNV “Eugenic Anchorage” a Felipe El Prudente class marine assault vessel. This marks the end of the Gaian Purification war as there are no more Gaians around. Indeed the primary instigator of this war, the species traitor Deidre Skye, has been found hiding inside of the base. She has been secured and is now en route to the University Ahnenerbe Institute, where they will study the result of tainted bloodlines that resulted in the deviant mind of Deidre Skye in great detail.

Federal Eugenic specialists have done a rudimentary check to confirm the identity of Deidre Skye and the level of genetic taint carried within her DNA, but were so repulsed by their findings that special telepaths had to be dispatched to ease them, after Deidre Skye’s mind was isolated with a psionic nullification device for their safety.

Following the Schwerzpunkt offensive the scale of combat and pace of advance slowed down as predicted, due to the involved difficult terrain and other strategic concerns. Worm’s Preach and Planet Speaks were secured just as planned in year 96, with the remaining worm boils around the base purged largely by our new Valkyrie squadrons.

With regret the Longetivity Vaccine was lost when the Gaians razed the Red-Green Forest Edge base before our forces could capture it, thus depriving our Eugenic experts of a chance at studying and creating based on it new evolutionary engineering technology, propelling us forward along the Spartan Way.

Worm Watching Terrace was also destroyed by the suicidal Gaians, but here the destruction of the base has been viewed as positive event in the context of Federation strategy.

Compost Pile has sunk to the bottom of the sea as sea level rose, thus becoming the first human colony to become victim of the climate change terror.

Extensive combat after two recapture attempts by Gaians has resulted in the destruction of Concentration Camp beta, in what is now called a suboptimal success of the Concentration Camp’s mission.

In year 97 hovertanks secured Remain in Light following a number of air raids on nearby targets.

Finally in year 98 operation Pest Control pushed towards Garden of Chiron and Childhood’s End with hovertanks securing both, while Autumn Grove saw Mechanized Infantry supported by Icarus squadrons and their Rommel hovertank APCs charge through rough terrain and seize the base.

With this war over the Federation can turn its attention towards the greater threat of climate change terror. All across Chiron rivers and coasts are posing a major threat to infrastructure and people alike.

An estimated 60000 helots have died during the flooding in the federation in both Fort Liberty and Commander’s Keep, as rivers rapidly changing course swept away forests, roads, helot terraforming crews and boreholes.

While the emergency pressure dome erection project is almost finished and helots work tirelessly to protect Laconia from this disaster, some areas are still too low and are expected to sink, taking with them vital boreholes. Landslides have also claimed some critical infrastructure.

The message from abroad is the same, the University famously announced a state of emergency as its most advanced and wonderful city is under threat from global warming. Efforts to counter this threat are in progress also in Morgan Industries and the United Nations Peacekeepers. Meanwhile the Human Hive seems eager to continue polluting, as independent observers informed Planet of an attempt to cover up a fungal bloom near the colony the Hive calls Dennys Parking Lot.

THE FOLLOWING CONTENT HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED TO YOU BY SPARTA COMMAND:

TRINITY TACHYON WEAPON SYSTEM REVEALED DURING PARADE

>>ANTIMATTER BOMB ARMS RACE? DO NOT BELIEVE THE FAKE NEWS ABOUT FEDERATION JOINING INTO THE ITZ-RACE!

THE EUGENIC BENEFITS OF USING PUNISHMENT SPHERES ON INFERIOR BLOODLINES

With the recent proliferation of Fusion Power and Orbital Spaceflight, Planet faces a re-emerging threat, the threat of ITZ. Federation nuclear and exotic particle physics expert Dr. Merkwürdigliebe has this to say about the possible arms race.

31TZgFz.png

Dr. Merkwürdigliebe: Zee combination of ein fusion reaktor und its huge output of strom mit an antimatter containment apparat allows one to construct a rakete warhead that can potentially obliterate all things within a hundred kilometer radius from its detonation origin, in theory of course as there is certainly no arbeit being done by the Federation on an Aggregat Achtzehn Rakete armed with such an apparat, in some kind of fictional Area Achtundachtzig secret research compound. Das ist Lugenpresse, fake news slandering the peaceful intentions of the Federation!

Anyone deploying such a apokalypsewaffe would thus be capable of ending our species, making the assumed nuclear ITZ of Earth look like ein kleine grenzkrieg in comparison. It is troubling zat factions are constructing such waffen, but we assume their past history of responsibility and reason will prevail and zee weapons will be nothing more than pure deterrents, never deployed offensively. Even ein detonation of such a device would cause unimaginable ecological disruption und das Planetgehirn vould no doubt lash out, just as the alien creature is attempting to remove our species through zis recent biblische floods. Zee flooding, it could be worse and even more the planet reaktion could result in terror wurm boils of massive size spawning from zee fungus blooms, attacking alles faction. Zis alien mind cannot be awoken through such radical action or it will be ITZ for sure, and our species will become extinct just ven we are so close to surpassing all achievements of failed earth civilization und spreading across the weltraum into other sternesysteme!

The TURN was 99, the Gaians have been eradicated.

n3hASIB.png

Had to rush a transport cruiser at one of the bases by disbanding a very damaged jet there and upgrade one trooper to a marine variant, since there were no more land tiles to land on next to two bases, but that worked.

The message lied as we have restarts disabled and TURN flowed without oldbonebrown between the Hive and Morgan TURNs as used to be the case. Also no score screen/double turn bug this time around.

Oh and of course a few turns back, on TURN 96, I had to do something else to ensure elimination will happen, that is I had to stop the Geh ritual:

TjWdsJS.png

While the sea colony pod finished before I could take the base I realized I have some planes just barely in range of some places where it might be. While I checked the base screen through infiltration to check its heading, that was unnecessary because it could only escape west. And in the end while I thought it would be just barely within plane attack range from the crater base, I realized fungus was blocking the way of the ship making it actually most likely much closer, and managed to find it with the first plane sent out to look for it.

The almost final (maybe killed some scouts after) unit list/losses of the Gaians:

35wTDK1.png

And how the situation looked on turn 98 just before I launched my final major offensive:

MoyWNFZ.png

I killed all garrisons in bases to ideally trigger drone riots and slow down/prevent any new sea colony pod from finishing, or any missiles that could kill my hovertanks. Took all but that one base on turn 98.

Overall the war went fairly smoothly and fast, probably too fast for the Gaians. They had some bad luck as me stealing fusion power was very unlikely to happen and yet it did (thought it would take way longer). Also it was one of the few occasions where the Spartan free prototype faction bonus was actually useful, as it allowed me to quickly utilize the fusion reactors in some new designs. Finally the mobility of my forces and air support meant it was hard to organize a defence, as I could have struck in a lot of places. That and alien units are very vulnerable to artillery which was used to great effect.

Obviously taking both the Manifold Nexus and the Neural Amplifier within 6 years didn't help the worm-heavy Gaian army, but there was little they could do. After the nexus fell into my control I no longer had to pound boils inside bases with artillery in order to have a shot at killing them with elite empath units or resort to superior numbers for capturing bases. Losing the amplifier was a deathblow though, jets get 3:2 psi combat odds so boils were now easy pickings and all my elite forces further boosted by +3 planet and sometime the Empath Song abbility were cutting through them like through paper.

Biggest screw up of the campaign on my side was not realizing where the Longetivity Vaccine is. I thought it was in Velvetgrass point for some stupid reason, otherwise I could have easily taken the project base 2 turns before it got razed by oldbonebrown. The -1 drone would be rather helpful considering the bureacracy and occupation drones I get, but I guess I can live with it. Anyway need to purge the bases or set up Punishment Spheres in those that might still be useful (few are). The bases are mostly a liability with 5 exceptions.

Of course with the Gaians gone, now we have the problem of globalwarmthinkery and sea levels rising. ITZ the worst it ever was in our Codexian PBEM games, I figure this is because our sped up early game due to more formers and pods at the start meant more people reached a stage where they can pollute as hell with genejacks.

I lost 3 pop at one base and 3 at another due to a river changing course, this also murdered some forests and boreholes and formers. Very annoying, especially the boreholes lost or condensers or nutrient resources.

I disagree with oldbonebrown and his assessment that I want to nerf the Gaians somehow by nerfing global warming. I dislike the collective and unpredictable nature of the mechanic, where even Gaians who never polluted could suffer from sea levels rising (I mean only base lost so far to flooding was a Gaian one) which is plain dumb. Meanwhile certain polluters get off with little consequence while they farm wormstacks from fungal blooms for cash, also this has too much griefing potential and I did have one game where one planet buster sunk the whole planet and flooded bases with doomstacks of locusts which gave me PTSD. Playing a PBEM match for a few months only for it to end in “rocks fall, everybody dies” would be very disappointing.

If I was Firaxis I would make fungal bloom worms not drop cash, double the fungal bloom chance and have it kill boreholes if the base triggered more than one fungal bloom already, but nerf the fucking sea level rising.

Speaking of WMDs and ITZ, quite a few people have orbital spaceflight and fusion power, and since planetbusters are no longer under their own separate off the path tech like in the previous mod, we have two factions actively building one and two more that can do it. The charter is not repealed so the likely thing to happen, assuming someone screws up and gets nuked, is that the ecodamage hit will trigger ITZ of enormous proportions (planet busters cause eco damage if the charter is not repealed, SMAC is weird like that). Maybe not as bad as in that one game where I saw the whole planet sink, and alien hordes murder any sea base still left after just one planet buster detonation, but I have a bad feeling about this. ITZ coming and all that.

:bunkertime:

In other news, the current ranking:

mnL3sic.png

I reached top in population but that is temporary. Lal is not that far ahead, there was even a brief moment where I was first in tech, but only for a TURN.

The Gaian bases being purged are mostly shit (too many facilities lost through combat/capture), drone-infested and giving me nasty bureaucracy drones so the pop lead gained from them means little as far as actual power is concerned.

Practically only the crater base is usable because the drone control facilities there survived and I just need two empaths to prevent riots while it produces mad minerals and decent energy as it has a hybrid forest and a tree farm.

Last edited:
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
HONORING DEPARTED CHAIRMAN SHENG-JI YANG AND THE ACCESSION OF CHAIRMAN BING
Some years ago, glorious and admirable former Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang was assassinated by subversive element. These elements were defeated swiftly by the actions of People's Armed Police General Bing, but the Chairman had already perished. For the sake of social stability and common interests, this news was not disclosed to the public, and the police, military, and intelligence agencies carried out assiduous purge of the traitors during the necessary period. As the deadline for the "53rd Five-Year Plan" approaches, all officials continue to follow the goals and guidelines set according to region under the glorious Sheng-ji Yang leadership. During the "Fifty-fourth Five-Year Plan" period, the new Chairman Bing will be formally appointed and approved by relevant departments.

DOING A GOOD JOB IN 54th FIVE-YEAR PLAN, OBEYING NEW DIRECTIVES OF CHAIRMAN BING FAITHFULLY
Guided by Chairman Bing's important thoughts and declarations on the orderly and progressive administration of society for a new era and the spirit of the 59th Congress of the Hive, follow the "four revolutions, one cooperation" new industry and energy security strategy, thoroughly implement the spirit of Chairman Bing's important speech on the national defense, and give full play to the rich energy resources of the southern and south-western low-development regions. The advantages of broad application scenarios, grasp the strategic opportunities of "Aquifer Drilling" and coastal nutrient farming, vigorously develop the "earth rampart" elevation increase initiatives in threatened coastal areas, optimize and reconstruct the energy structure and industrial structure, and integrate development of agriculture, agri-voltaic distributed networks.

Implement pilot projects in four fields of state warfare defense:

-Fusion Armed Air Interception Warplanes
-Investigation probe teams to be distributed through all centralised municipal settlements
-Preliminary design and construction of coastal transport ships
-Established the first new infantry regiment for national defense training focused on repelling amphibious invasions

The National Modern Military Demonstration Zone provides strong support.

Pictured: The most dedicated workers and work team applauded and praised by the country

3bd9a8d1655a6e79a72c6bc96a31f825.jpg
Long Qua Dynasty.jpg

CONTINUING MEASURES TO SUPPRESS DISORDERLY ELEMENTS
E7a4EFKWUAENmof.jpg
Promote the full coverage of the police force of the Harmonious Government Officials in all cities and put an end to all inflammatory and destructive riots. Enhance social harmony and cooperation, develop entertainment infrastructure, and conduct regular patrols in all densely populated areas.
Screenshot_136.png

TROYTRON

Learned
TnkWrR2.png

One hundred years on Planet have come and gone. One hundred years of entrepreneurial spirit, adapting to ever-changing market conditions, and heady market growth to put any old Earth enterprise to shame. It is a truly momentous occasion that we bear witness to today, and we indeed have much to celebrate, all of us here at Morgan Industries. From the entry-level drone just beginning their climb up the corporate ladder to the executive-level talents who made it to the top through true grit, creativity, and above all integrity: every employee now listening to this conference helped to build Morgan Industries into the market leader on Chiron today.

Yet while it is said that the rising tide of market prosperity lifts all foils, there is a darker side to this saying. For the tide that first began to rise in Fiscal Year 2188 has already claimed too many victims: sixty thousand hard-working helots in the Spartan Federation lost their lives to overflowing rivers; hundreds of thousands of investors saw their life’s savings sink amidst the tumultuous market downturn that followed the announcement of sea levels rising 466 metres within the next twenty years. At its nadir, the Chiron Stock Exchange saw all of its major indices lose 20% of their value, wreaking devastation and impoverishment upon investors on a scale never before witnessed in corporate history.

Nevertheless, we here at Morgan Industries faced up to the climate crisis with vim and vigour unparalleled among the factions of Planet! We were first in publicly adopting the Xenoempathic Code of Conduct as early as Fiscal Year 2190, demonstrating agility and flexibility on the part of our executives. Swift action saw our subsidiaries restructuring their core business activities to be carried out in a fully ecologically sustainable manner; yes, profits fell during that time, but no expense was too great for Morgan Industries to tackle the most pressing environmental issues of our time!

The last decade also saw the awarding of contracts to build and operate newly-developed Punishment Spheres as part of our initiative to prosecute and punish the worst ecological violators. Now, as I’m sure you all remember, these contracts were rather controversial at the time: during a period of great financial distress, management was accused of propping up underperforming subsidiaries in contradiction of free market principles. Nothing could have been further from the truth! What Morgan Body Positivity Ltd, Morgan Size-Plus Ltd, and Morgan Antidepressants Ltd may have lacked in raw revenues, they more than made up for with prime central locations that enabled the easy transport and processing of eco-debtors all across Morgan Industries. Besides, let’s be honest: would high-performing talents really want to be in the same subsidiary as a bunch of underperforming weed-smoking drones? I strongly doubt it!

These criticisms and others were levelled against our efforts, but make no mistake: they have more than paid for themselves! In a mere decade, our share prices have rebounded from their lowest point of 800 credits to record highs of over 1,300 credits! And the best is yet to come: with the official release of our proprietary Pholus Mutagen from Morgan Welfare Office, even subsidiaries that were once deemed unprofitable are experiencing unheard-of levels of market growth, with human resources departments struggling to keep up with the hordes of eager applicants! Yes, Morgan Industries has gone green: the green of profit and prosperity!

And yet while we at Morgan Industries, together with our valued partners in the Spartan Federation and the University of Planet, have led the charge in expanding the market for ecological sustainability, other factions continue to languish in the depths of industrial depravity and squalor. You of course all know who I am referring to: the eco-socialist bloc formed by the United Nations and their former toadies the Gaians! They more than anyone are responsible for engineering the climate crisis we face today on Planet, as the result of their irresponsible so-called “eco-harmony” practices and rampant anti-market hostility, preferring to cavort in the dirt with worms rather than building the sustainable future of humanity! For that is where their bankrupt ideology leads: to the evolutionary dead end for all humanity!

We at Morgan Industries have never sought conflict with anybody. We have never been discriminatory with whom we choose to do business with. The rumours being bandied about on certain pop-science talk shows, regarding weapons of mass destruction being developed in secret by some of our subsidiaries, are just that, mere rumours. We remain hopeful that rationality and market sense will prevail. But make no mistake: should this state of ecological irresponsibility continue, we will find ourselves with no choice but to take the future of Planet’s biosphere into our own hands!

The year is 2202. Things are getting tense on Planet.
wztAMI8.png

Kalin finally teched to Advanced Spaceflight and called the vote to launch the solar shade, only for Grimgravy to veto the proposal. Looks like he’s serious about making us all drown. Will be interesting to see what happens next.

The climate crisis irritatingly put a dent in my plans, starting from when all these shiny new Genejack Factories I built took my eco-damage from zero to 50+ in some bases and triggered a shitload of fungal blooms (including the one described in my previous post), which I was not prepared for and caused me to lose a bunch of formers and units before I could rush enough Empath troops and choppers to wipe out the huge worm stacks. All the land-raising I did to keep my bases from drowning had the annoying side effect of rendering nearly all my coastal bases suddenly landlocked, despite efforts to raise land from further back, and right when I’d finally finished building facilities there and started to actually build sea units.

Mind you, there was a silver lining: switching to Green and back shuffled bureaucracy drones around in my bases, which means I can Golden Age popboom in some bases I’d previously written off. So there is that going for me at least.

Hellraiser

Arcane
wztAMI8.png

Well, this veto outcome was rather unexpected, I mean I saw gravy's nay vote but thought it is unlikely to succeed given that it was 2 yea and 1 nay out of 5 votes when I voted, meaning we just needed one more vote to launch the solar shade.

On votes to set planetary policies, each faction receives one vote. In these votes, the current Planetary Governor has veto power, which can be overridden only by unanimous vote of all remaining factions.

Now I know. Either I forgot or I never knew in the first place when the governor veto triggers, but I did see it a bunch of times in the past obviously.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
UN Herald
First executive veto used in council!
Why would Governor Lal oppose a project meant to combat sea level rise? Looking deeper into the untested technology reveals numerous reasons to be dubious. Chief among them the source! It is championed by Chiron's greatest polluters, now Zakharov and Morgan propose to pollute space. Preposterous! Then, cooperation on a global scale for such a project is untenable in the current tense political climate. Furthermore, terrestrial terraformers have been shown to up to the task. Finally, if Zakharov and Morgan cleaned up their industry such a project would be unnecessary. It seems to this reporter that the Eastern Powers created a problem, silenced their loudest detractor in a brutal war of aggression, and then beg for planetary resources to fix the problem. I applaud Governor Lal for not playing their game.

I don't really want to sink, but I see no benefit in making Kalin and his toadies lives any easier. Better to use the veto in the limited time I still have it.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Grimgravy Kalin TROYTRON BING XI LAO

Since no one objected I guess we can all apply the proposed orbital overview requirement fix to the ac_mod\alphax.txt file. Kinda dumb we can't even see how many sattelites we have after launching them, because we lack the tech for the food sat.

To repeat, this can be fixed without changing the tech tree by just swapping the satellite in slot 65 with one that has lower tech requirements.

Anyway this would be the fix, as described in the convo:

Find the below in [SMAC main folder]\ac_mod\alphax.txt

Code:
Empty Facility 64,            10, 2, Disable, Disable,  Do Not Build Me
Sky Hydroponics Lab,          12, 0, Matter, Disable,  +1 Nutrient ALL BASES
Nessus Mining Station,        12, 0, HAL9000, Disable,  +1 Minerals ALL BASES
Orbital Power Transmitter,    12, 0, Space,   Disable,  +1 Energy ALL BASES
Orbital Defense Pod,          12, 0, DocAir, Disable,  Missile Defense

And changing it to, by cut and pasting the Orbital Defence Pod Line above the Sky Hydroponics Lab:

Code:
Empty Facility 64,            10, 2, Disable, Disable,  Do Not Build Me
Orbital Defense Pod,          12, 0, DocAir, Disable,  Missile Defense
Nessus Mining Station,        12, 0, HAL9000, Disable,  +1 Minerals ALL BASES
Orbital Power Transmitter,    12, 0, Space,   Disable,  +1 Energy ALL BASES

Last edited:

TROYTRON

Learned
Hellraiser I tried applying the fix, but it seems to cause a nasty side effect that makes it NOT appropriate to use for a game in progress (and possibly not at all):
yyOHels.png

The type of satellite is tied to the facility slot, so changing it around will confuse the game as to which type we're supposed to have. This also causes issues with production of satellites in bases, as my bases producing Power Transmitters were suddenly producing Mining Stations, and people producing Defense Pods switched to Power Transmitters.

I am not 100% sure if the effects are just cosmetic and the satellites still provide their normal effects despite being in the wrong slots, but the issue with production being changed is enough reason not to use the fix for now, IMO.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Hellraiser I tried applying the fix, but it seems to cause a nasty side effect that makes it NOT appropriate to use for a game in progress (and possibly not at all):
yyOHels.png

The type of satellite is tied to the facility slot, so changing it around will confuse the game as to which type we're supposed to have. This also causes issues with production of satellites in bases, as my bases producing Power Transmitters were suddenly producing Mining Stations, and people producing Defense Pods switched to Power Transmitters.

I am not 100% sure if the effects are just cosmetic and the satellites still provide their normal effects despite being in the wrong slots, but the issue with production being changed is enough reason not to use the fix for now, IMO.

Yeah, also the graphics are swapped around. I think this is purely cosmetic but best not risk unintended consequences. Who knows how many other stupid things firaxis hardcoded to the facility slot number, such as events killing all power sats suddenly killing all orbital defense pods.

Grimgravy BING XI LAO See above, seems the fix is a no go.

Hellraiser

Arcane
yyOHels.png

Yeah, also the graphics are swapped around. I also checked merc's mod etc. and it seems there the issue was solved differently. Plus who knows how many other stupid things firaxis hardcoded to the facility slot number, such as events killing all power sats suddenly killing all orbital defense pods. So I agree that we should not implement it and just change the food sat tech to something earlier.

Grimgravy BING XI LAO See above, seems the fix is a no go.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Grimgravy TROYTRON BING XI LAO

I have checked some alternative fixes and it seems the only sensible one that can work for an ongoing game is to change the Hydroponics Lab satellite to the Doctrine: Air Power tech. I think everyone already has the tech so nobody would benefit from it more than anyone else.

But the original idea behind the satellite being so late was that it was OP with specialists, so Kalin suggests to double its cost to 24.

Do you guys agree to such a fix? If all of you agree we would change at the first opportunity (TURN) after confirmed.

The fix would be to change the following line in [smac directory]\ac_mod\alphax.txt:

Code:

to:

Code:
Sky Hydroponics Lab,          24, 0, DocAir, Disable,  +1 Nutrient ALL BASES

TROYTRON

Learned
I have checked some alternative fixes and it seems the only sensible one that can work for an ongoing game is to change the Hydroponics Lab satellite to the Doctrine: Air Power tech. I think everyone already has the tech so nobody would benefit from it more than anyone else.

But the original idea behind the satellite being so late was that it was OP with specialists, so Kalin suggests to double its cost to 24.

Do you guys agree to such a fix? If all of you agree we would change at the first opportunity (TURN) after confirmed.
Yeah, that sounds reasonable. Definitely best to curb specialist shenanigans too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom