Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outer Wilds - outer space camping trip game

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I think this game has grown on me. I perhaps had the bad luck of stumbling on most of the easy parts first, and missing all significant platforming challenges late. The game is still a bit casual, but less of a walking sim than I first thought. I quite like it in the end.

Massive spoilers ahead boyos, don't read this unless you played and finished the game:
I managed to figure out the nomais fate, and I think most of their backstory. But the dark bramble is still a total mystery to me. The nomai never really reference it, or the planet it used to be (it's missing from all their planetariums and such). Could just be a story miss or whatever, since it is gone in the present, but I also don't understand how they warped into it, feels like I missed something.

Also don't really get why the nomai space cannon fires at the start of the loop. The ash twin projects claims 3 active statues, but I don't get who is using the other 2. It also bothers me that you can't even ask someone to grab a space suit and follow you to the eye. You just going to leave all your friends to die horrible deaths without trying?

Not reading spoilers and squinting/side-eyeing the thread to keep myself pure, but I've been really enjoying this after grabbing it in the sale. I was on the fence since $16 is on the fairly high end for me for indie games, especially walking sim/adventure game hybrids, but I've been quite impressed. The exploration and sense of discovery is way up there, the most basic degree of just flying to planets and looking around is nice but I've had a few instances where I discovered something that was hidden just by paying attention. You get clues to things when you find alien text/talk to NPCs which can send you places, but you don't get "Quest markers" for everything. Some of it comes from just thinking things through, and then when that pays off you get a really nice high.

By and large feeling good about buying it rather than waiting for a bundle. I'll have a better sense of it once I've finished it/fully explored it but at the moment it feels like a well done first person adventure game. Better than something like the Witness which is more "THIS IS A PUZZLE", the Outer Wilds' puzzles have (Thus far) felt really natural. Maybe too natural, since I have yet to think over something TOO long. To get SOME bitching in here though, I'm not that wild about the tone. Your jolly alien compatriots are slightly kerbal-esque but they grate on my nerves a little, but I assume that's because you're on comically tiny planets in a fast moving solar system so it's arguably in keeping with the spirit of that. The ancient alien text has been pretty disappointing too, without spoiling anything (Ancient alien text being there isn't really a spoiler since you learn about that in the tutorial). Oddly enough I still might say I like Tacoma more. It doesn't have the sense of exploration, but the puzzles were nice (Though simple) and the story felt better (Though I fully expect Outer Wilds to kick off once I learn more). Then again Tacoma's like 4 hours long so it's much tighter and more eventful in that time, while the Outer Wilds moves at your own pace and since I'm taking my sweet ass time and even scribbling down some notes in a notepad I guess it's a bit apples to oranges.

HansDampf

Arcane
Also don't really get why the nomai space cannon fires at the start of the loop. The ash twin projects claims 3 active statues, but I don't get who is using the other 2.
Are you sure it's 3? One is linked to the protagonist, and another one is linked to the space cannon. At the start of every loop the cannon shoots a probe in a random direction (you may have noticed it always flies in a different direction at the start of every loop). The probe's data is then sent back to the space cannon. When the sun goes supernova it activates the Ash Twin Project, which sends the data back in time 22 minutes, and the probe is fired in another direction. Eventually it's going to find the Eye. And when that happens, the other masks are activated and will link to the closest being they can find, intended for the Nomai to collect the data and stop the loop. This is what happens to the protagonist at the beginning of the game during the first cycle.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Also don't really get why the nomai space cannon fires at the start of the loop. The ash twin projects claims 3 active statues, but I don't get who is using the other 2.
Are you sure it's 3? One is linked to the protagonist, and another one is linked to the space cannon. At the start of every loop the cannon shoots a probe in a random direction (you may have noticed it always flies in a different direction at the start of every loop). The probe's data is then sent back to the space cannon. When the sun goes supernova it activates the Ash Twin Project, which sends the data back in time 22 minutes, and the probe is fired in another direction. Eventually it's going to find the Eye. And when that happens, the other masks are activated and will link to the closest being they can find, intended for the Nomai to collect the data and stop the loop. This is what happens to the protagonist at the beginning of the game during the first cycle.
Huh, I did not realize the cannon shoots the probe in a random direction. It makes sense when you point it out though. I assumed the statue activated for you due to the 'catastrophic damage' clause that gets mentioned.

Either way, there is still one mask left unaccounted for. Iirc the explorer on giant's deep mentions "I've been dieing a lot lately" (for me this was right before a tornado slung us both into the atmosphere and I died on landing, I assume this was scripted), so I guess he is a good candidate. He sure isn't using his time god powers well though.

Also them nomai sure are really good engineers, making cannons and probes that can sit around for 200k+ years and then activate at a moments notice when the sun goes supernova :M

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Huh, I did not realize the cannon shoots the probe in a random direction. It makes sense when you point it out though. I assumed the statue activated for you due to the 'catastrophic damage' clause that gets mentioned.

Either way, there is still one mask left unaccounted for. Iirc the explorer on giant's deep mentions "I've been dieing a lot lately" (for me this was right before a tornado slung us both into the atmosphere and I died on landing, I assume this was scripted), so I guess he is a good candidate. He sure isn't using his time god powers well though.

Also them nomai sure are really good engineers, making cannons and probes that can sit around for 200k+ years and then activate at a moments notice when the sun goes supernova :M
Another explorer (Dark Bramble?) is also in the time loop

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron

It's the guy in Giants Deep, he tells you he found one of the statues somewhere

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

It's the guy in Giants Deep, he tells you he found one of the statues somewhere
Ye, mine's the third.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I've been playing this game and I've been pleasantly surprised by how many primal fears it seems to trigger within me. I've played way too many horror games in my life to find entertainment in jump scares anymore, but somehow the thought of staring a black hole in the eye and floating towards it just gets all sorts of reptilian alarm clocks ringing.

I tried this and Subnautica which was also a pleasant surprise. Are y'all aware of any other games that scratch this itch. Already tried my share of Space Engine.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I tried this and Subnautica which was also a pleasant surprise. Are y'all aware of any other games that scratch this itch. Already tried my share of Space Engine.

If you liked Subnautica try Don't Starve. It plays very differently but it has the same mix of survival, crafting, base building, exploration, adventure and atmosphere. Don't make the mistake of buying No Man's Sky, unlike Don't Starve it looks and plays similar to Subnautica at a glance but the similarities are only skin deep.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm in the same boat. On my todo list are Breathedge, Raft, Journey to the Savage Planet, Astroneer, Grounded, and The Long Dark.

I'm currently playing Below Zero and it's just "more Subnautica", which feels great.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

If you liked Subnautica try Don't Starve. It plays very differently but it has the same mix of survival, crafting, base building, exploration, adventure and atmosphere. Don't make the mistake of buying No Man's Sky, unlike Don't Starve it looks and plays similar to Subnautica at a glance but the similarities are only skin deep.
I doubt don't starve can scratch the same itch as this and subnautica.

I'm in the same boat. On my todo list are Breathedge, Raft, Journey to the Savage Planet, Astroneer, Grounded, and The Long Dark.
Journey to savage planet looks like a goofy joke game.

I'd really like more of outer wilds or something similar. There's rumours that there's a dlc in the works, but who knows.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I doubt don't starve can scratch the same itch as this and subnautica

DS is survival, crafting, building, exploration, adventure and atmosphere. And combat as extra. Sure it scratches the same itch, unless you hate the isometric view.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I have played Don't Starve, which does scratch the survivalcraft itch and it's certainly an interesting game with a great setting and atmosphere. Another isometric game which is good (although not as crafty, but more survivaly) is Darkwood, which provides an excellent experience if you enjoy how Polish it feels. Similarly, games like Sunless Sea and Sunless Skies can provide a fun experience if you can enjoy the gameplay loop and setting.

But I am looking for more games which provide the level of immersion in uncanny settings like OW and Subnautica did. I appreciate the suggestions so far, and Breathedge and TLD do seem to run in a similar vein (I've avoided playing TLD because I was following an LP - I think Burning Bridges's - here for a while so I feel like I spoiled the game).

I've been following Osiris: New Dawn since it originally released in EA some years ago and it still seems bug-ridden and not worth the buy, but I'm hoping it'll come around sometime between now and when I'm actually in the cockpit of an escape pod somewhere.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I have played Darkwood for a bit but dropped it. Gameplay was interesting but I just don't like horrors.

Breathedge plays p. much exactly like Subnautica in space, at least the first half, but the devs are way more interested in being goofy and cracking jokes every few minutes at all costs than in creating atmosphere and immersion, sadly.

I have followed TLD since the start of Early Access but I gradually lost interest. First, the development was very protracted even for the notorious standard of indie EA survival games and second, it seemed to me the devs were making the game worse with every (sparse) update. Last time I checked it out the combat was based on....avoiding combat coz the wolves will tear you apart every single time. But that was years ago, maybe I should check again.

Sunless Sea/Skies are sitting in my library and I'm looking forward to take them for a spin.

Btw you can try Forest (didn't click with me but your mileage may vary) or some of the genre hybrids like Frostpunk (survival/RTS mix in a very unique setting) or Astroneer (if Nintendo had sex with No Man's Sky and gave birth to a goofy baby but I had a lot of fun with it) or Outward (survival RPG).

Game is gud.

There is a lot of emergent stuff tho so I'd buy it. For example if you leave your ship on Giant's Deep and the island gets sucked up, your ship might fly off in another direction. Or the sucky-suck on the Ash Twin could suck it in.

But calling the physics anything like "accurate" or "realistic" is fucking laughable.

Planets only a few hundred meters across and 16km apart?

A sun that goes from yellow to red giant to supernova in 22 minutes?

Tornados that suck entire islands into space?

etc.

For one, it's explicitly a different universe from ours which means it's under no obligation the behave the same as ours. I'm not stating this as a cop-out "they can do whatever they want because it's their game", but because any physicist will tell you that there's no good reason for e.g. gravity to work as we know it aside from anthropic principle arguments. The important point is that it is consistent.

Secondly, it's also a universe that is mentioned as being about to die, as in the heat death of the universe, not just the star going supernova. Other galaxies are invisible as the expansion of the universe between them has exceeded the speed of light and even stars in their own galaxy are starting to disappear. At this point physicists believe that physical interactions and even time itself may begin to break down in some fashion. Weird shit like macro-level quantum effects and so on are also conceivable. I don't recall this being stated in the game but the explanation for why the Nomai seem stuck in the solar system despite having intra-steller travel is because they are. The return journey would be impossible and they've come all this way with their only goal being somehow reversing the heat death of the universe or creating a new one somehow. It all reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Question.

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's some grade A apologetics.

But yeah it's a really good game.

Breaking the universe and getting the whacky kazoo music is awesome :lol:

awsker

Novice
I'm a bitter old fuck. I hate all modern games. Outer Wilds is the first game in years that has made me feel like I care about video games again. Didn't expect a DLC. I'm not sure how it will fit in but I'll be there on day one.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I'm a bitter old fuck. I hate all modern games. Outer Wilds is the first game in years that has made me feel like I care about video games again. Didn't expect a DLC. I'm not sure how it will fit in but I'll be there on day one.

Will cost the same as the game apparently.
:decline:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
:d1p:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom