Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Chris Avellone: What the Fuck Happened to Bloodlines 2?

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
If your writing is good it will be interesting to read, no matter the word count. [...]

Nigga, did your enter key break or what? I ain't reading that wall of text

Star Citizen

Learned
Can't really blame Numanuma for the high wordcount of shit, tbh. Back then we all were like "lots of words == good RPG!!11" In hindsight we were all wrong about this. At least the game taught me the valuable lesson that sometimes less words are more words.
Eh, PS:T was a fun read and visually that shit was neat as FUCK! That's why it is/was popular. May not be the most fun to play or have endearing combat but it's iconic nonetheless for good reason lawl. Being said videogame developers hiring out of studio writers is a folly that I wish the medium would drop altogether. Legit. Who and why the fuck are these people?

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
To fill you in on what I did on the project, since most people think I was booted from it last year (?) along with everyone else. This “news” is attributed to some poorly worded public statements from the usual round of idiots that got passed through a filter held by an idiot and poured into an idiot glass and then passed out to the public and marketed as a refreshing new mineral water that will ultimately pass through your bladder and into your toilet. Thanks for that, idiots. You could have just said, “contract was over.”

I really really hope he goes after the press outlets eventually. The strong wording here really implies he's losing his patience with them and rightly so.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Eh, PS:T was a fun read and visually that shit was neat as FUCK! That's why it is/was popular. May not be the most fun to play or have endearing combat but it's iconic nonetheless for good reason lawl. Being said videogame developers hiring out of studio writers is a folly that I wish the medium would drop altogether. Legit. Who and why the fuck are these people?

A lot of the draw with PST lies in the very unique/interesting setting but it takes a creative, talented guy like Avellone to make the most out of it. Agree that the game looked fantastic (still one of the best looking games I've ever seen), sounded amazing too for that matter. The music, voice casting, ambient sounds etc. all was stellar. The itemization and quest design was top notch too in my book.

Last edited:

RunningWolf

Learned
People are so used to reddit spacing and twitter wordcount that two paragraphs of text about 5 games at once is a Herculean effort in reading. On an oldfag forum no less. But fuck it, it was all boring shit anyway.

Melcar

Arcane
People are so used to reddit spacing and twitter wordcount that two paragraphs of text about 5 games at once is a Herculean effort in reading. On an oldfag forum no less. But fuck it, it was all boring shit anyway.

An extra line between your paragraphs would have made it easier on the eyes for old geezers and less of a chore to read for kiddies with ADD.

azimuth

Educated
Uh, some weird takes in this thread. Some observations:

1) Almost none of the classic CRPGs had "good combat gameplay," least of all Bloodlines. It didn't have good dungeons either - in fact, it had some of the worst I've ever seen. The games that top the Codex's best ever lists almost exclusively had awful combat and were instead carried by everything else. The one exception is Baldur's Gate 2, which had cool itemization and encounters with a pretty campy story.

2) Some guy claimed Baldur's Gate's word budget made it better written than Pillars of Eternity. Holy moly, this place is so different than it was a couple decades ago. Nobody played Baldur's Gate for the writing lol. It was pure camp with terrible writing. We played it because it was the first incredibly popular D&D RPG in ages and it did a decent job of getting away from the (then tired) turn-based stuff that turned mass audiences off. BG1 was honestly not a great game, but it was popular. BG2 is stellar, of course.

Pillars was obviously very well written and anybody who claims otherwise is just a boring hipster.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Uh, some weird takes in this thread. Some observations:

1) Almost none of the classic CRPGs had "good combat gameplay," least of all Bloodlines. It didn't have good dungeons either - in fact, it had some of the worst I've ever seen. The games that top the Codex's best ever lists almost exclusively had awful combat and were instead carried by everything else. The one exception is Baldur's Gate 2, which had cool itemization and encounters with a pretty campy story.

2) Some guy claimed Baldur's Gate's word budget made it better written than Pillars of Eternity. Holy moly, this place is so different than it was a couple decades ago. Nobody played Baldur's Gate for the writing lol. It was pure camp with terrible writing. We played it because it was the first incredibly popular D&D RPG in ages and it did a decent job of getting away from the (then tired) turn-based stuff that turned mass audiences off. BG1 was honestly not a great game, but it was popular. BG2 is stellar, of course.

Pillars was obviously very well written and anybody who claims otherwise is just a boring hipster.

You mean PoE is a boring hipster !

I mean, I liked it, it's beautiful and vivid, and the writing has its moments (although overly verbose), but outside of Cad Nua's dungeon and the White March expansion, combat is everything but fun. And there is the hard to digest lore exposition.

Black

Arcane
To fill you in on what I did on the project, since most people think I was booted from it last year (?) along with everyone else. This “news” is attributed to some poorly worded public statements from the usual round of idiots that got passed through a filter held by an idiot and poured into an idiot glass and then passed out to the public and marketed as a refreshing new mineral water that will ultimately pass through your bladder and into your toilet. Thanks for that, idiots. You could have just said, “contract was over.”
He's talking about our newsroom, isn't he.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom