Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

I'm considering going back to this game and try all these damn DLCs I somehow bought and never even tried.
Throw me a good turn-based build for a solid melee character, plis.

If we can avoid it being a dual wielder wanker it would be even better.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Devoted Soul Blade. Specialize in Estoc for extreme penetration. You can buy one of the best weapons in the game, Eager Blade, as soon as you get to Dunnage. You can dump Intellect and Dexterity somewhat. You want to max Perception and Might. Important talents are Biting Whip, Two-Handed Style, Fighter Stances, Confident Aim, Charge, Improved Critical. You're mostly interested in the Fighter talents to boost your single target damage, and you want to spend your focus on Soul Annihilation rather than any learned spells. You only deal pierce damage, so carry an alternate weapon for dealing with undead that are immune.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Swashbuckler Eder, what kind of faggotry is this? The only monocled Eder build is a full plate large shield single class Fighter, then he just stands in front soaking damage for entire party, impervious to all damage. Legend has it, Watcher's party was once attacked by literal King of Hell armed with a sword made out of ribs of Jesus, and Eder still just stood there, smoking his pipe, and asking, "that's all you got bitch?"

Codex Year of the Donut
Rogue was a terrible choice for Eder's second class, no idea what they were going with there. I guess they just wanted to give him a dual-class.

Swashbuckler Eder, what kind of faggotry is this? The only monocled Eder build is a full plate large shield single class Fighter, then he just stands in front soaking damage for entire party, impervious to all damage. Legend has it, Watcher's party was once attacked by literal King of Hell armed with a sword made out of ribs of Jesus, and Eder still just stood there, smoking his pipe, and asking, "that's all you got bitch?"
Unbroken thematically fits the best with Eder iirc. Can't remember if you need a mod or not to do it, been too long since I played.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah there's a mod that makes subclasses much more sensible. Unbroken or dual-class with priest of eothas for Eder, adds Rogue to Seraphen (seriously whytf is he Barbarian) and some other changes.

Codex Year of the Donut
adds Rogue to Seraphen (seriously whytf is he Barbarian)
Probably to add a barbarian I guess? But it's not like there really was a dedicated rogue was there?
Can't remember if Eder can be pure rogue, but I think Maia could... maybe?

Probably shouldn't have killed Devil of Caroc off tbh. Honestly, they brought over too few companions from the first game.

oh yea, there were also the mini-companions that had more interesting stories than some of the full companions. Almost forgot about those.

[edit]
goes back to my rant against ending powerpoint slides, writers writing themselves into a corner because they don't even know if they'll ever get to write a sequel or not
most of the first game's companions were written out of the story via that way iirc

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Well the problem with companions is the quests, so I'm not sure if bringing more of the old ones would improve the experience.

Vatnik Wumao
There's nothing inherently bad about a fresh cast. Issue is with the quality of the writing. Besides Maia Rua, all the new companions were... what they were.

Atchodas

Augur
If you play trash like deadfire at least have some decency to make your own companions instead of diving further into shit

Devoted Soul Blade. Specialize in Estoc for extreme penetration. You can buy one of the best weapons in the game, Eager Blade, as soon as you get to Dunnage. You can dump Intellect and Dexterity somewhat. You want to max Perception and Might. Important talents are Biting Whip, Two-Handed Style, Fighter Stances, Confident Aim, Charge, Improved Critical. You're mostly interested in the Fighter talents to boost your single target damage, and you want to spend your focus on Soul Annihilation rather than any learned spells. You only deal pierce damage, so carry an alternate weapon for dealing with undead that are immune.
How do you feel about doing Bleak walker/Soul Blade (Inquisitor)? Does it compare well with what you are proposing?

Oh, and by the way I'm open to other suggestions.
Not that I'm refusing yours, just considering all the options here.

Codex Year of the Donut
If you play trash like deadfire at least have some decency to make your own companions instead of diving further into shit
Companions were some of the highlights of pillows tho.
Eder throughout, Durance/GM in the first game, Maia.
Aloth seems to be rather hated but I actually liked him. Plus, it's a two-for-one deal. Liked Sagani too.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
How do you feel about doing Bleak walker/Soul Blade (Inquisitor)? Does it compare well with what you are proposing?

Oh, and by the way I'm open to other suggestions.
Not that I'm refusing yours, just considering all the options here.
Bleak Walker/Soul Blade is going to deal less damage, but obviously has Paladin utility, and is considerably tankier. I think if I were going to combine Paladin and Cipher I'd want high Intellect to play around the auras + Cipher CC abilities. I'd probably make the Cipher part a Beguiler instead of Soul Blade as well.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm considering going back to this game and try all these damn DLCs I somehow bought and never even tried.
Throw me a good turn-based build for a solid melee character, plis.

If we can avoid it being a dual wielder wanker it would be even better.

For turn based? Eh. Martials kinda suck in turn based. Well, if you must there are two options to do well in that awful action economy in my opinion.
Either Riposte build (kinda like Swashbuckler Eder, but with better classes, like Trickster/Unbroken) or some kind of high crit rate monk with Swift Flurry / Heartbeat Drumming - maybe combine with point 1 with something like Forbidden Fist / Trickster specializing in rapiers?

purupuru

Learned
More old companions would hardly have helped when the three that did make it in deadfire were not all that interesting. Eder fared better than Aloth or Pallegina, but still not as interesting as poe1 Eder, even his new portrait looks stupid, like some carefree hillbilly.

Sannom

Augur
Rogue was a terrible choice for Eder's second class, no idea what they were going with there. I guess they just wanted to give him a dual-class.
It's a nod to the development's history of the first game, in which Eder switched from fighter to rogue to fighter again. I don't remember the talk at the time, but I think it was about the fact that a "fighter" could just as well be an armored knight or a dirty-fighting scoundrel (it reminded me of how classes were supposed to fit different archetypes depending on the character's species in Torn), a concept Obsidian ultimately abandoned.

Can't remember if Eder can be pure rogue, but I think Maia could... maybe?
Edér can be pure rogue, but Maia has to include her ranger class.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
ok wh-

Yosharian said:
In most cases, Desiderius' autism level (AL) is not required to be calculated as it is presumed to surpass most character classes' abilities. If, however, a forum user who has not already completed the game five to ten times enters a Kingmaker thread with a negative comment, it may be beneficial to calculate the AL in order to determine the severity of Desiderius' response. His AL is equal to the following:

20 + Screenshot Novel bonus + Get Good modifier + Rants On Modern Dumbdowns bonus

:lol:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom