Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Definetely recommend Nightmare.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I picked Epic and franckly and until now, it's the perfect balance of difficulty and fun.

Now I just have to choose between the 3 extra characters. Found the bard underwelming, I think it will be paladin or priestess.

Out of curiosity who did you guys choose ?

EDIT : also, the adjancency bonus passives doesn't seem interesting for a first playthrough, much too situationnal, or am I missing something ?

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I picked Epic and franckly and until now, it's the perfect balance of difficulty and fun.

Now I just have to choose between the 3 extra characters. Found the bard underwelming, I think it will be paladin or priestess.

EDIT : also, the adjancency bonus passives doesn't seem interesting for a first playthrough, much too situationnal, or am I missing something ?

There's a discussion with some pro and con arguments on page 22, but tl/dr version is that Lilura Priestess is the best choice for harder difficulties.

And I agree about adjacency bonuses, way too situational and hard to pull off consistently.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

my review said:
My recommendation: pick the priestess or, if you’re feeling frisky, the weirdly designed minstrel. I picked the paladin and lived to regret my decision as it is the only class design I actively dislike outside of the early game, where it was decent enough fun.

Basically: Priestess is healer/soft CC'er. Not the most genius design but in general I found that there were less casters to play with in the game, so I wish I had picked her. She's also the strongest of the three, arguably.

Paladin is a melee char that really lacks identity. She has a very fun Parry/Counterattack mechanic, but it becomes completely useless way too early.

In theory Minstrel might be the most fun of the bunch, but he's also the character who needs the most work in order to get bang for your character slot buck.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

I never regretted my choice of Lilura the Priestess, although anyone who has played through Naheulbeuk just once can't be certain as to how either of the two characters not selected would play at higher levels.

Naheulbeuk-Priestess2.jpg

The peasant you quoted plays current gen TB games, such as the ones Larian makes.

There is a yawning gulf between current gen TB accessibility and the accessibility of Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm and ToEE, which would break the peasant's brain.
Not in my era, and not in my genre. You come off as a console peasant the way you're harping on. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that you're starting to sound like Fluent, Falksi and jRPGers.
Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that Diablo approaches the quality of a well-coded SHMUP. And if Diablo's bullet-hell didn't remind you of SHMUPs, then you're a peasant of gaming.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Everyone on the Codex should play this at least once.

Indeed, although it leans a bit too much towards board-gamey to be a classic-style RPG, it has enough turn-based RPG combat elements, with a smooth control system and UI, great graphics and attention to detail, to give one hope that it's still possible to make high quality classic CRPGs. IOW one can imagine a game somewhat like this with some parameters shifted about a bit (more RPG-ish and a bit less board gamey, somewhat more complex build system, a richer, more serious story with more complex characters, a less joke-cartooney look), and envision how a great modern CRPG could be done.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Yes, I'm surprised by how much fun I'm having with this. The gameplay is spot on and the silliness reminds me of p&p sessions as a kid.

But the constant mentioning of sausages, cheese, ham and chickens regularly send me to the kitchen

:shredder:.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
  • Cartoonish graphics
  • Cooldowns
  • Lackluster skill trees
  • No character creation
  • Only females can be caster
  • Awful writing
  • No glorious Dark Arts
  • Very slow animations and low lethality in a TB game
  • (...)
Why are people here liking it?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
  • Cartoonish graphics
  • Cooldowns
  • Lackluster skill trees
  • No character creation
  • Only females can be caster
  • Awful writing
  • No glorious Dark Arts
  • Very slow animations and low lethality in a TB game
  • (...)
Why are people here liking it?

Because on Epic or Nightmare the gameplay is "proper." The levels are nicely designed, the gameplay isn't terribly complex but the plus side of that is that because what's there is well-designed, it's tight and fast, with no faff. The build system is fairly limited, but again, it's done well enough, with a bit of flexibility here and there.

On paper, yes, you'd think those points count against it, and some of them put me off trying it for a long time (I generally hate "jokey" games), but you get into the spirit of it pretty quickly, and it goes down smoothly. It's just damn well-made.

It's not like a main meal type of RPG, but it's a tasty treat as a board-gamey, turn-based tactical game.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Minstrel might be the most fun of the bunch, but he's also the character who needs the most work in order to get bang

Aren't minstrels supposed to have to do the least work to get bang?
Indeed:
3jy0v8.jpg

God that painting is soooo quintessentially nerdy D&D :)

(I seem to recall there was a discussion a while ago elsewhere about the artist, whose name of course I've forgotten - sadly he didn't do many paintings for games, but he did s-f and pulp cover type things.)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Casting is unmanly anyway. :smug:

I strongly disagree. Axes, axes are amazing weapons to cut your enemies in half, can be trowed in a fleeing defeated enemy, can also be used for cutting down trees and building homes. Same with other weapons. Spears are amazing for hunting, how conjuring a electric spear from the thin air and using it to impale enemies is less manly? The advantage is that you don't need weapons. IRL, I owned a "medieval" axe till it broke and own a 175 lbf crossbow.

rojay

Scholar
IRL, I owned a "medieval" axe till it broke and own a 175 lbf crossbow.
Picture or it didn't happen. Because IRL I have a 176 lbf crossbow, and I'll shoot an apple off your head if you look at me the wrong way. Just how I roll. /WillyTell.

I am really enjoying this game. The humor is not great. I am continually tempted to hit "next" or "skip" during a lot of the interactions with NPCs, but I've hung in there and tried to get into the spirit of it.

The combat is where it's at, though. Most of the time I get through combats on the first go-round, but now and then I have to retry a time or two to figure out the optimal way to solve the puzzle. What I like is that the solution is there to be discovered - it's not obtuse and it doesn't require you to know some arcane ruleset to succeed. It just requires attention to detail and the willingness to let some of your characters get knocked out, which I'll admit was a difficult thing for me to accept. Once you get it, though, it's pretty satisfying.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
. It just requires attention to detail and the willingness to let some of your characters get knocked out, which I'll admit was a difficult thing for me to accept.

One of the things I enjoyed the most. I had to train my RPG-brain to accept that, though it was probably more easy after Battle Brothers, which I also loved for that element.

I actually think it's kind of a very, very minor knock against the game that it penalizes the XP of toons that get knocked out. The truth is that the penalty doesn't matter at all, so it only exists to tell you something that is also wrong; that you should reload if you lose a toon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom