Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
OP got molested by his party members and is now butthurt about cRPGs. Obviously, he shouldn't have chosen the gay option

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Next, play Knights of the Chalice (2007). Take note of the many, many ways in which turn based combat in CRPGs is finally improved from the standards of 1989. Take note of the fact that this game did not sell enough to warrant a sequel (Codexers complained about the graphics quite loudly) and that the developer is now doing a real time strategy game.

I have some good news for you.

Also the game was released in 2009 wasn't it?

Falksi

Arcane
xPuBweg.gif

Tomas

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I tend to agree with OP, at least in the sense that he follows what his (admittedly a bit narrow) definition of a good rpg is through the decades. Personally I think BG2 is the unsurpassed ( and seldom equalled) pinnacle of western RPG.

sigard there is a kotc sequel and based on your preferences you should check it out.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Next, play Temple of Elemental Evil (2003). Play through Hommlet only, you can stop after that. Sorry, that was cruel, I just wanted you to experience the worst level ever included in a CRPG, three hours of walking around, reading mundane text and clicking on options from lists. This game did finally improve turn based combat in CRPGs above 1989 standards, but was crippled by horrible level design, so it did not have any significant effect at halting or reversing the decline, aside from (probably) inspiring KoTC.

This portion of your generally shitty post is enough for me to very much not like you.

Fuck off.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Apart from some idiosyncrasies, like the OP's bizarre aversion to reading, and his criticism of ToEE's level design as "horrible," I think it's a fair and realistic overview.

I particularly agree with the spicy and amusing take that the FPS Fallouts weren't essentially much different from the original Fallouts (which are wildly overrated around these parts, IMHO).

To me, the pivotal point in the entire story is the failure of ToEE. There's an alternate history where it came out as a full, highly polished game and took the crown away from the BG games, thereby a) moving the genre along b) keeping it on track and c) taking full advantage of improved graphical goodness the way we all dreamed of as we were playing the graphically simpler games.

Generic-Giant-Spider

buys Temple of Elemental Evil.

gets filtered by Hommlet lmao, never enters Temple of Elemental Evil.

Endless

Novice
Patron
Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't forget that fag game Ultima Underworld which started that trend of "fuck turn based dungeon crawling combat, lets make him a popamole and focus on immersion".

cruelio

Savant
Notice how people used to write their banal thoughts in diaries that they kept to themselves

Next, notice how now people for some reason think the stupid shit that occupies their head should be shared in excruciating length with potentially infinite people for no other reason than because they can

In the past OP would have been happy in his job as latrine digger, and no one would know what stupidity occupied his brain. Now he doesn't even dig latrines and we get to be exposed to his mediocre thoughts that he thinks merits attention because?.... At least the latrines were useful.

Falksi

Arcane
Notice how people used to write their banal thoughts in diaries that they kept to themselves

Next, notice how now people for some reason think the stupid shit that occupies their head should be shared in excruciating length with potentially infinite people for no other reason than because they can

In the past OP would have been happy in his job as latrine digger, and no one would know what stupidity occupied his brain. Now he doesn't even dig latrines and we get to be exposed to his mediocre thoughts that he thinks merits attention because?.... At least the latrines were useful.

Thanks for sharing your banal thoughts with us.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Don't forget that fag game Ultima Underworld which started that trend of "fuck turn based dungeon crawling combat, lets make him a popamole and focus on immersion".
I'll have you know that it was Dungeon Master, released in 1987, that replaced turn-based with real-time in order to enhance immersion and exploration. The first in a subgenre that had many imitators over the next half-dozen years. +M

E9QLZdf.png
nnKgXKI.png

CS2YpJl.png
G09DkX0.png

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You are not Excidium

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom