Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Scratching an MMO itch... playing the New World beta & the Ashes of Creation alpha. But both will end very soon. Then I'll check out the "Remnant: From the Ashes" expansion, and maybe try a hardcore run of Valheim.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Started playing Albion. I've had fond memories of it from when I first played it over 20 years ago, but I've always been concerned about revisiting it because I never made it past the first dungeon where you gotta find the runaway assassin. Well I just finished said dungeon and I have to say I like the game quite a bit. It's got some annoying kinks to it, but I particularly appreciate the worldbuilding - it feels like an actual alien world that you land on. In this sense it's very similar to Morrowind (furries also contribute to this impression).

newtmonkey

Arcane
Lurking: Immortui (PC)
Really excellent RPG so far, very heavily influenced by the Ultima series (specifically U3-5). You really need to take good notes in this one, as like Ultima, much of the early game involves traveling to towns simply to gather information. The game does provide redundant information from multiple characters, so missing a few characters here and there doesn't bring the game to a complete stop (so far anyway). It has an automap, but you are only able to see the area around you—this makes exploring a bit easier but not too easy. I like it.

You get full party creation right from the start, where you assign points to stats and skills. In addition to typical magic spells, you also have bard songs, and it's useful to have a character devoted to each.

Combat is not too exciting, but it's also infrequent enough that it's not very annoying. It's typical Ultima 3-5 style combat, but can be annoying in that a character only gets EXP when the killing blow is landed, and enemies almost always run away when they are near death. It's impossible to catch up to a fleeing enemy, so many combats end up with you injuring the monsters with your melee characters, only to have the monsters flee and therefore you get nothing. Kind of annoying.

Artifact Adventure (PC)
A really great console style RPG. This also has full party creation (though you simply select classes), but what starts out seeming like a Dragon Warrior 3 ripoff ends up being surprisingly open and nonlinear. You can select from several artifacts at the beginning of the game, one of which is an airship. That gets you access to the entire game world, which means you can fly around doing things completely out of order, as long as you can survive. The game is not completely gated by character levels and equipment either—you find artifacts all over the world that give you abilities such as powerful spells and abilities, and you can use these to take down much more difficult enemies to get massive EXP gains (or survive difficult dungeons to find powerful equipment). It's really interesting playing a console RPG that is this open, and it proves that even basic turn-based combat and EXP-based leveling can be a blast if you just give the player some freedom in how they approach things. Really surprisingly good!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Started playing Albion. I've had fond memories of it from when I first played it over 20 years ago, but I've always been concerned about revisiting it because I never made it past the first dungeon where you gotta find the runaway assassin. Well I just finished said dungeon and I have to say I like the game quite a bit. It's got some annoying kinks to it, but I particularly appreciate the worldbuilding - it feels like an actual alien world that you land on. In this sense it's very similar to Morrowind (furries also contribute to this impression).
I'm also replaying it. I currently have five characters in my party. The game certainly has a unique feel to it. You can read a lot of lore stuff from subjects available to you in dialog, but it's mostly optional.
Combat is okay, and exploration has been fun. It's interesting that one of my characters can't train in one area, because he doesn't speak the correct language. I also found (and still do) it amusing how your characters
learn new languages during boat trips.

Steel Soul

Novice
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just discovered the Sega Forever package for mobile, where you can download old sega games and save for the price of watching an ad. I downloaded the Phantasy Star set and have been generally enjoying it.

I played the shit out of Phantasy Star back in the day. In my defense, I was young and didn't know what a JRPG was.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Two more games beaten.

World End Economica episode 2, and Maneater. First one took me nine hours to read through, the other took me 15.5 hours to 100% it.

My backlog is now under 400 games.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I think I would go insane if I tracked my backlog. I just kinda play what I'm feeling at the time.

Same. I have a bigger 'frontlog' (upcoming games I hope are fun enough to play one day) than a backlog, which has shed a lot of weight in recent years.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I finally beat Divinity: Original Sin 2, after 150 hours.

I'm glad to finally be done because I can't, in good conscience, recommend this game to anyone.

All the criticisms the Codex raised over the years emerged over time, and, by the end, I didn't feel satisfied for putting this much time into the game.

The combat: Unbalanced garbage, but I still enjoyed turn-based.

The story: Boring and all over the place

The characters: Completely unlikable

Quests: Some were good; most were bugged. The jank was unbearable in many situations. Some quests -- due to idiotic AI, impossible-to-find items, or a combination of both -- were nearly unbeatable or so bugged they couldn't be finished

One of the few saving graces was the graphics. It's a beautiful game and a big improvement over the first one visually.

Will I play this again? Unless a miracle happens in which the quest bugs are squashed and the combat mechanics are reworked, absolutely not.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I've completed a few endings in Way of the Samurai 3. I also have some created swords that are fairly good. I did two-three runs on normal, two-three runs on hard, and I'm no one one-hit-kill mode. I took out my anger preemptively by killing all major characters before they can do anything to me in my last run, because I know this difficulty will cause me some grief.

In Albion, I just lost two of my magic users due to plot, but a new member joined for now. There have been a lot of plots for several evil doings. I like how you can prevent some poor outcomes, but it isn't spelled out to you. That the game lets you do that is pretty cool. It has happened on two occasions.

On console, I am now focusing on God Wars. It isn't amazing or anything, but it's serviceable enough. There are finally more classes unlocked. It took me some time to get them, because I wasn't really mastering many of the beginner classes.
Put on a podcast, then play a mission or two.

On portable, I went back to Valkyire Profile: Covenant of the Plume. I was going for a run where I don't want to sacrifice anyone, but it won't happen without me ripping off my chest hair, so I'll have to cave in, and do it anyway. If I can, I will try a non-sacrifice playthrough after this one.

All in all, I am having a good time with all four games that I am currently playing.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
. I took out my anger preemptively by killing all major characters before they can do anything to me in my last run, because I know this difficulty will cause me some grief
One hit kill is probably the best one for the super sekrit ending. But damn if it it's not the most frustrating mode to play in for the endings.
I still got like 6 titles to unlock and that's probably all that's left to do.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
. I took out my anger preemptively by killing all major characters before they can do anything to me in my last run, because I know this difficulty will cause me some grief
One hit kill is probably the best one for the super sekrit ending. But damn if it it's not the most frustrating mode to play in for the endings.
I still got like 6 titles to unlock and that's probably all that's left to do.
I think that I won't be going for some titles. They'd probably drive me crazy.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean yeah, but I'm like 88% done, might as well. Also most of them were surprisingly easy to do if you knew the game more or less inside out.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Trying to play Elex. I want to like this game, but the combat is fucking terrible. Everything is a damage sponge and one shots you, you can't explore to get better equipment because that means having to fight enemies and even after doing all of the easy quests I barely have the skill points to get a decent weapon that doesn't suck. It's a such a boring slog, it's like trying to play Risen where you die constantly to wolves because the fuckers are sword proof for some asinine reason.

Curratum

Trying to play Elex. I want to like this game, but the combat is fucking terrible. Everything is a damage sponge and one shots you, you can't explore to get better equipment because that means having to fight enemies and even after doing all of the easy quests I barely have the skill points to get a decent weapon that doesn't suck. It's a such a boring slog, it's like trying to play Risen where you die constantly to wolves because the fuckers are sword proof for some asinine reason.

Welcome to every Piranha Bytes game ever made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom