Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Yldr

Educated
After finishing Red Dead Redemption I'm now into Undead Nightmare.

It's a full independent campaign that received a good amount of effort and production values, but the writing is night and day versus the original game, you can feel the huge drop in quality with these stale dialogues and tedious self-indulgent cutscenes.

The enemies can eat ungodly amounts of lead: half a dozen clean shotgun shots will often fail to actually kill one, and you end up chaining slo-mo pistol headshots at nauseam.

Perfect example of a mediocre game riding on the momentum of a good one: it's nice to see the fate of these characters, but the ending credits can't roll soon enough.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Too many games in your backlog can lead to severe choice paralysis. Trust me on this one; I know of what I speak.

And choice paralysis leads to playing the same favourites over and over, and you risk turning into a Lilura.

Someone should create a "lilura" for the next D&D edition. What would it look like? What would its attributes and special powers/immunities be?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I have the "digital hoarding" sickness myself but at least I tend to be eclectic about it, trying to hoard only good or highly regarded stuff. There are poor unfortunate souls who have to have everything, and will pay others hundreds & hundreds of dollars to send them 10TB+ hard drives of hyperspin/launchbox collections of even the most obscure games, roms and disk images.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Trying to play Elex. I want to like this game, but the combat is fucking terrible. Everything is a damage sponge and one shots you, you can't explore to get better equipment because that means having to fight enemies and even after doing all of the easy quests I barely have the skill points to get a decent weapon that doesn't suck. It's a such a boring slog, it's like trying to play Risen where you die constantly to wolves because the fuckers are sword proof for some asinine reason.

Welcome to every Piranha Bytes game ever made.
What's annoying though is that the first combat encounter put me in a false sense of security.
I was like "well the controls aren't great, but I'm not dying in one hit and I can actually deal some damage, so maybe PB learned their lesson."
And then I got to the game proper and well, here's a brief list of experiences -
>Oh hey a human, maybe he's friendly. Oh, no, he's hostile, he kills me in one shot, takes no damage even though he's wearing no armor, doesn't even have a skull next to his name and there's more of them. Well, not going that way.
>Oh hey a quest where I have to solve a murder, and Duras is the murderer. Oh no wait, can't turn him in, he'll turn hostile and instantly kill me. Guess he's going free then
>One of the murder suspects is on a farm. On the way to the farm there's a high leveled enemy who follow me there and murders everyone, except for the suspect who has Bethesda type character protection. Problem is though whenever he revives he aggros the bastard and it just won't leave. Guess I have to come back later then because I can't kill the fucking thing
>Ok so let's talk to this guy who's been stealing Elex. Oh no wait, Duras had to open his fucking mouth and tell the guy that we're trying to kill him even though I wanted to talk first. Both the guy and his brother one shot me. Guess I have to tell Duras to wait outside.
>I want to get into the Cleric city to get some cool weapons and armor so maybe I can actually play the game instead of running around like a scared rabbit. Oh no wait, there's 6 rats, they take barely any damage and they can push my shit in. Well time to hop away I guess

You get the idea. Elex does have a huge world, and does give you the chance to avoid encounters (unlike Risen where you basically had very little mobility options), but the fact that you have to pick certain options or you will just outright die even though it's an early game quest is a problem. Wild Hunt had that shit with overleveled enemies and quests but at least it had the decency to warn you first.
Elex is like a shitty DM who railroads you into playing the game a certain way, and if you go right instead of left you get a dragon dropped on you. I don't mind difficulty (I fucking love Stalker and Dark Souls), but I do mind it when the devs force you into progressing quests in a certain way.

Also, fuck Berserkers. Bunch of holier-than-thou luddites.

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I finally beat Divinity: Original Sin 2, after 150 hours.

I'm glad to finally be done because I can't, in good conscience, recommend this game to anyone.

All the criticisms the Codex raised over the years emerged over time, and, by the end, I didn't feel satisfied for putting this much time into the game.

The combat: Unbalanced garbage, but I still enjoyed turn-based.

The story: Boring and all over the place

The characters: Completely unlikable

Quests: Some were good; most were bugged. The jank become unbearable so, so many times.

One of the few saving graces was the graphics. It's a beautiful game and a big improvement over the first one visually.

Will I play this again? Unless a miracle happens in which the quest bugs are squashed and the combat mechanics are reworked, absolutely not.

It took me 150 hours and a lot of restarts to realize that I will never ever be able to finish this game. Even coop was unbearable this time around. Armor system and itemization are decline of the highest magnitude. I am actually ashamed of having put so many hours into this game.

Last edited:

fork

I always wonder how people born before 2000 can have a backlog. There are not enough good games for that (unless you've been trying to 1cc every shmup in existence until recently, but I'd guess that's a minority).

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I always wonder how people born before 2000 can have a backlog. There are not enough good games for that (unless you've been trying to 1cc every shmup in existence until recently, but I'd guess that's a minority).

There was more than shoot 'em ups available. We had access to most of the categories for what we have now. We had CRPGs, adventure games, point and click, etc... There are literally hundreds of thousands of games released for all different computers and consoles. Back then for computers you had Commodores, Ataris, Sinclair, IBM, etc... What was on one system wasn't necessarily on another. There also were a lot of good games. For me, it was the SSI gold box AD&D games. Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series come second. You had games like Eye of the Beholder that was a real time dungeon crawl with a party. All told you could have a really big backlog. I know I do. LOL

Curratum

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
- Harlan Ellison

Jinn

Arcane
Because talking about games on the codex is haram,you need more politics in your posts.

They weren't talking about games. They were shooting silly insults back and forth. Those posts got deleted because they were shitting up the thread.

Cunt Dickula!?

I'm playing Golden Fall 2 right now.
It clearly improves Golden Fall 1 by adding attributes and more different skills.
There's also more of a focus on riddles this time.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Playing Phoenix Wright 2 in celebration of this coming to steam.

More detective games to play in the future is always edifying.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
He's right, paradox games are bloated with unremarkable features that form a melange of vaguely increasing numbers.
Also the DLC is perhaps the biggest racket in gaming and is a sign of true decline.
The-Sw-ede.jpg

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
what's your opinion on the first one?
In terms of combat, the first was better than the sequel. Cheesing through encounters is part of the experience.

is it better

Both games have their good and bad. Play the first if you've never played a Divinity game. Once you beat it (or quit midway), I'd caution playing the second.

Armor system and itemization are decline of the highest magnitude.

This was among my biggest gripes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom