Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
People play mech games for the lore? Really?

I understand rules purism and hating things that deviate too far from the spirit of the original games, but seeing a BT storyfag is so odd.

Cael

Arcane
Flashpoint Bourbon & Battlemechs
What's the mission about then?
That Defend mission also seems to have a stupidly large number of enemies coming down on your head. Weren't mechs supposed to be rare and hard to produce?

Flashpoint A House Divided
Funny that the weaboo girl is blue-eyed and blonde, while you're not allowed to be so for your MC due *reasons*. Lore rape is to be expected after the shit that is the regular campaign. The fact no changes are done to Reputation either way sounds lame.

Flashpoint Prototype

The restriction is artificial and obviously meant to stop you from spamming Assaults... But that doesn't work if the enemy continues to have the number superiority. As for Kuritas complaining about killing civvies... Aren't they the ones doing that REGULARLY? MW2 Mercs pointed that out, and even had you work as a part-time terrorist to force tension with another House. Against all odds they do not kill you to hide their dishonorable behaviour, but I guess that's because of game mechanics.

Which one is worse BTW? Kurita or Liao? Sometimes they seem to overlap to me.
B&B has Justin asking you for help because a guy with a merc company keeps harassing him. He wants you to deal with the guy because he is too busy/can't be bothered because he has work to do on Kittery (if so, why is he on another planet multiple jumps away??). He tasks you with blowing up the bar where the guy usually drinks. Seriously. He wants you to blow up a bar full of bystanders because ONE GUY is harassing him. And he is willing to pay hundreds of thousands of C-Bills and rare items for you to do it.

When you get there, you fight a lance of boisterous bar patrons. In heavy 'mechs. They are joined by drunks in heavy 'mechs. Oh, and the bar has 4x assault turrets.

You blow that all up, and you find out the guy isn't even there. Congrats! You killed an entire bar full of innocents for nothing. And the guy is now pissed at you because he really liked that bar. He claims he is harassing Justin because Justin owes him 250k. You have the choice to pay him off or you can fight him with a lance of 230 tons or less. I haven't progressed past that because it was so stupid, my desire to play more was crushed.

The Long Hunt is retarded in many ways. Yes, Kurita has a history of being heavy-handed. However, whoever wrote the Davion colonel is obviously a hack. It was worse than fanfic tier. The kind of moustache twirling "I got you now!!!!" screams is bad caricature. It is like HBS put a retarded 3-year old to write out the- Ooh... Nevermind...

In MW2Mercs, that was the second campaign mission. Kurita wanted you to blow up an office because it was printing seditious material or something like that. That kind of thing is pretty standard fare for the Kurita and Liao factions. They are authoritarian regimes. Kurita is more monarchy style totalitarianism, whereas Liao is more caste-system commiecunt style. But they are both totalitarian states. Kurita tried to be less totalitarian later on, and it ended up with the hardliners revolting against Theodore Kurita and nearly assassinating him. They are all kinds of messed up, but at least their leaders are sane. The Liaos went batshit insane after the 4th Succession War. Romano is certified insane, while her son is a cowardly, crafty little shithead. His son is literally an incestuous rapist. Yeah, let's not go there...

lightbane

Arcane
B&B has Justin asking you for help because a guy with a merc company keeps harassing him. He wants you to deal with the guy because he is too busy/can't be bothered because he has work to do on Kittery (if so, why is he on another planet multiple jumps away??). He tasks you with blowing up the bar where the guy usually drinks. Seriously. He wants you to blow up a bar full of bystanders because ONE GUY is harassing him. And he is willing to pay hundreds of thousands of C-Bills and rare items for you to do it...
Sounds dumb indeed, probably an attempt at "humor" that falls flat due not making any sense in-universe.
Why would a random bar have such super-heavy duty gear? Nevermind the drunkard pilots.

But that's nothing compared to the campaign, which IIRC in one mission you blow up a priceless Castle Brian relic and, instead of having Commiestar and others order a bloodhunt on your asses, nothing happens.

In MW2Mercs, that was the second campaign mission. Kurita wanted you to blow up an office because it was printing seditious material or something like that. That kind of thing is pretty standard fare for the Kurita and Liao factions. T

No, I was referring to a later mission, when you have to destroy Davion bases while pretending to be a pirate, so that Davion increased military presence in the planet, letting the "honorable" Kurita use that as an excuse to make bigger demands or provoke a war.
Or how during the second mission you mention, one of the intermission texts mentions that one of the Kurita soldiers used a mech's machinegun to "silence" a protesting crowd. Hardcore. They also do not recruit military types officially due their "dishonorable nature", officially at least, so being double-crossed at some point would have been in-character.

Olinser

Savant
Flashpoint Bourbon & Battlemechs
What's the mission about then?
That Defend mission also seems to have a stupidly large number of enemies coming down on your head. Weren't mechs supposed to be rare and hard to produce?

Flashpoint A House Divided
Funny that the weaboo girl is blue-eyed and blonde, while you're not allowed to be so for your MC due *reasons*. Lore rape is to be expected after the shit that is the regular campaign. The fact no changes are done to Reputation either way sounds lame.

Flashpoint Prototype

The restriction is artificial and obviously meant to stop you from spamming Assaults... But that doesn't work if the enemy continues to have the number superiority. As for Kuritas complaining about killing civvies... Aren't they the ones doing that REGULARLY? MW2 Mercs pointed that out, and even had you work as a part-time terrorist to force tension with another House. Against all odds they do not kill you to hide their dishonorable behaviour, but I guess that's because of game mechanics.

Which one is worse BTW? Kurita or Liao? Sometimes they seem to overlap to me.

From a lore standpoint, Liao was generally far worse because they were evil AND stupid and petty (PARTICULARLY when Maximilian and then Romano were in charge) while Kurita tended to be evil but pragmatic.

So Kurita was evil but wouldn't kill you if you were useful or it would make them look bad. Liao would kill you because Mad Max didn't like your haircut, regardless if how useful or loyal you might be.

Cael

Arcane
In MW2Mercs, that was the second campaign mission. Kurita wanted you to blow up an office because it was printing seditious material or something like that. That kind of thing is pretty standard fare for the Kurita and Liao factions. T

No, I was referring to a later mission, when you have to destroy Davion bases while pretending to be a pirate, so that Davion increased military presence in the planet, letting the "honorable" Kurita use that as an excuse to make bigger demands or provoke a war.
Or how during the second mission you mention, one of the intermission texts mentions that one of the Kurita soldiers used a mech's machinegun to "silence" a protesting crowd. Hardcore. They also do not recruit military types officially due their "dishonorable nature", officially at least, so being double-crossed at some point would have been in-character.
Hmm... I don't recall that Kurita mission. But MW2M was a long time ago. I only recall the first one because it was aggravating as hell. You have to nail that stupid Jenner and then save the tank on the other side of the map in what is likely to be your starting Commando. Then you have to double back to kill some helicopters. Otherwise you fail mission objectives. In the end, I just sort of cheated by targeting the Jenner's massive head area and hope to kill it with the very first alpha strike. That is only something that veterans of the game would figure out, so newbies to the game is generally boned.

And yes, machine gunning a protesting crowd would be exactly the kind of thing the Kuritas under Takashi would do. They are that ruthless. But they are sane and pragmatic... usually (and then the 4th Succession War and the Dragoons happened...). Liaos are just batshit insane.

Raiding military targets to get the response they want is pretty normal for the IS. It's like the FedCom mission chain where they hire you to work with an uprising on that DC planet. Advancing their goals is what's important, if some people have to die for that then that's too bad. And trying to get an advantage is pretty sensible anyway, given that they've been fighting for centuries and the FedCom already tried a major invasion of the DC a few years before the game started. Everyone knows they would have tried again if the Clans didn't show up and get everyone's attention.
Machinegunning protesters is obviously evil but it's consistent with the DC honour code. Disrespecting the DCMS=disrespecting the authority of the coordinator=treason=death penalty. And hopefully it'll be brutal enough that nobody else will get any funny ideas. It's bad, but it makes sense if you understand how their morality works. Better than Liao where they don't really have any sense of morality.

Cael

Arcane
Raiding military targets to get the response they want is pretty normal for the IS. It's like the FedCom mission chain where they hire you to work with an uprising on that DC planet. Advancing their goals is what's important, if some people have to die for that then that's too bad. And trying to get an advantage is pretty sensible anyway, given that they've been fighting for centuries and the FedCom already tried a major invasion of the DC a few years before the game started. Everyone knows they would have tried again if the Clans didn't show up and get everyone's attention.
Machinegunning protesters is obviously evil but it's consistent with the DC honour code. Disrespecting the DCMS=disrespecting the authority of the coordinator=treason=death penalty. And hopefully it'll be brutal enough that nobody else will get any funny ideas. It's bad, but it makes sense if you understand how their morality works. Better than Liao where they don't really have any sense of morality.
FedSun, not FedCom.

And which major invasion were you talking about where the FedSun invaded the DC pre-3025?

FedSun, not FedCom.

And which major invasion were you talking about where the FedSun invaded the DC pre-3025?
MW2 Mercenaries is set in the 3040s so I feel comfortable calling it the FedCom. LC and FS were working together pretty well at that point even if they didn't completely combine until later. Though if you'd prefer for me to say FedSuns then okay, sure, you are correct. Either way, FedSuns are happy to sponsor rebellions on DC worlds. It doesn't cost much and it hurts the DC, so it's the smart thing to do. And Hanse is extremely smart. Being incredibly good at leading a nation is basically his defining attribute.
I wasn't talking about invasions before 3025, I was talking about 3039. It didn't work out that time, but why wouldn't they try again? Not like the DC didn't basically deserve it either.

Cael

Arcane
FedSun, not FedCom.

MW2 Mercenaries is set in the 3040s so I feel comfortable calling it the FedCom. LC and FS were working together pretty well at that point even if they didn't completely combine until later. Though if you'd prefer for me to say FedSuns then okay, sure, you are correct. Either way, FedSuns are happy to sponsor rebellions on DC worlds. It doesn't cost much and it hurts the DC, so it's the smart thing to do. And Hanse is extremely smart. Being incredibly good at leading a nation is basically his defining attribute.
I wasn't talking about invasions before 3025, I was talking about 3039. It didn't work out that time, but why wouldn't they try again? Not like the DC didn't basically deserve it either.
3039 was a Davion loss. Davion already knew something was up when the Kuritans started fielding weird 'mechs. He wasn't going to attack them again until he figured out what, although he had a good idea.

3039 was a Davion loss. Davion already knew something was up when the Kuritans started fielding weird 'mechs. He wasn't going to attack them again until he figured out what, although he had a good idea.
Yeah, exactly. He was going to figure it out and then they'd attack again. DC were right to try everything they could to shore up their defences while they could. Even though it probably wouldn't have helped anyway, since the FedCom was just too strong. Which is why the writers made Kat ruin everything, I guess.

Cael

Arcane
Yeah, exactly. He was going to figure it out and then they'd attack again. DC were right to try everything they could to shore up their defences while they could. Even though it probably wouldn't have helped anyway, since the FedCom was just too strong. Which is why the writers made Kat ruin everything, I guess.
FedCom was strong, but it was also too big. If not Katherine, some one else would have done it. Probably Nondi. The thing with the FedCom falling apart was the stupid way it was done. Katherine had nothing other than author fiat to do the kind of damage she did. It would have been more believable for Nondi to do it or a coalition of Steiner "loyalists" like what happened in the Combine (the Black Dragons). Katherine was a nobody. She wasn't even a 'mechwarrior, which automatically disqualified her to BOTH thrones.

Of course, the logic rot was right there from the beginning. Candace was the heir, for example, but she gave it up to let the entire CapCon suffer Romano's insanity? What the hell? It was total bullshit. All she had to do was to keep Justin's real identity a secret, Justin play the rogue agent still, negotiate a ceasefire and a Marshall Plan of some sort from Davion, and she'd have returned home in triumph with Davion as an ally. Instead, she ended up losing her holdings and becoming a de facto prisoner of her nephew. That is hardly the smart, cunning Candace that was portrayed in her first outing.

This is why Crusader Clans are the best. When they do dumb shit it's in character, not out of character. Except for Wolves, but all the smart Wolves turned bandit and ran off anyway. You stick with Falcons or Jags or whoever and they'll never let you down. Just go around being dumb and hitting things all day.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
This is why Crusader Clans are the best. When they do dumb shit it's in character, not out of character. Except for Wolves, but all the smart Wolves turned bandit and ran off anyway. You stick with Falcons or Jags or whoever and they'll never let you down. Just go around being dumb and hitting things all day.
Falcons yes, the Jade Falcons are probably the smartest of the dumb asshole brigade, they're good at what they do and you fuck with someone like a Pryde at your own peril.

Smoke Jags... they're a little special, and by special I mean :retarded:

Kind of pissed that CGL decided the Republic of the Sphere rolled the Jag leftovers into their special units instead of something interesting like Wolverine/Minnesota Tribe leftovers, but the Wolverines already fucked off into the Deep Periphery 300 years or so before the RotS was a twinkle in Stone's eye.

lightbane

Arcane
It's probably in one of the "tech-advanced" mods, so the Advanced one or RogueTech.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
It's probably in one of the "tech-advanced" mods, so the Advanced one or RogueTech.

It is, I've got 20 hours in BT vanilla and it hasnt shown up yet so I was a little confused, as I'd seen footage of a guy just wrecking everything with an axeman

Cael

Arcane

It is, I've got 20 hours in BT vanilla and it hasnt shown up yet so I was a little confused, as I'd seen footage of a guy just wrecking everything with an axeman
You can get a mini-Axman by getting the Hatchetman variant (the one without the AC10). It has 2 energy and 2 missile slots, so you can drop in 2 medium lasers and 2 LRM5 or something like that. It also has 4 support slots, I think, which would make it better than the stock variant at melee combat.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
thinking i might have to use mods. This game's bizarre insistence on doing the whole "its 4v4 mechs just kidding it's not 8-10 mechs vs you and you get to sit through 5 minute enemy turns while they all focus fire one guy" is killing the fun hard. like half the missions are just tedious and not hard.

Cael

Arcane
thinking i might have to use mods. This game's bizarre insistence on doing the whole "its 4v4 mechs just kidding it's not 8-10 mechs vs you and you get to sit through 5 minute enemy turns while they all focus fire one guy" is killing the fun hard. like half the missions are just tedious and not hard.
That sounds about right.

The only tactic the losers at HBS can come up with is to give a higher weighting to glass cannons and get them to focus fire on one 'mech. Just look at your 60-ton opponents. 60-80% of them will be Quickdraws, which has a lower armour but a higher damage curve than Dragons. The computer doesn't care about losing 'mechs, so weapons at the expense of armour is grossly unbalanced in its favour, especially when it also tend to outnumber you 3-to-1, if not 7-to-1 (with 4 assault turrets thrown in).

It is like the fuckheads can't decide whether to make a tabletop experience as they promised or XCom (the original, not the remake shit).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom