Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Nexus Now Disallowing Creators To Delete Their Mods (Aug 5 Cutoff Date Passed)

Tyrr

Liturgist
I don't like the Steam Workshop because it gives the publisher control over the mods. Like when CA banned "risky" armor mods for TW:3K. Or when Paradox banned mods that made humans "less diverse" in Stellaris.

Codex Year of the Donut
modders don't realise is that the Nexus is more important to them than they are to the Nexus
That's genuinely sad. The pitiful social mentality used by sites like Facebook applied to mods I mean. I can see it being true for all those bethesdard mods putting shitty large boob characters into the game, because certainly it's more about their visibility than actual content, but thankfully there are games thriving with mods like Rimworld that get along just fine without them. Nexus is the Walmart of mods. Fuck them sincerely. A good mod will find it's way towards the players one way or another.
nexusmods offers me a good service, without it I'd probably just keep my mods to myself because it would be too much of a hassle
takes me like 3 clicks and a description to submit a mod

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
modders don't realise is that the Nexus is more important to them than they are to the Nexus
That's genuinely sad. The pitiful social mentality used by sites like Facebook applied to mods I mean. I can see it being true for all those bethesdard mods putting shitty large boob characters into the game, because certainly it's more about their visibility than actual content, but thankfully there are games thriving with mods like Rimworld that get along just fine without them. Nexus is the Walmart of mods. Fuck them sincerely. A good mod will find it's way towards the players one way or another.
nexusmods offers me a good service, without it I'd probably just keep my mods to myself because it would be too much of a hassle
takes me like 3 clicks and a description to submit a mod

Now I am curious. What did you create?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
but thankfully there are games thriving with mods like Rimworld that get along just fine without them

ehm. you realise that's just because they use the workshop, right?
I realise it's not. Been modding it since A10. Both their forums and reddit heavily supplement it. Workshop adds ease of use, but then, nobody takes money for it or dictates some bullshit ownership over them, which is kind of the point when it comes to fan made free content.

I don't know what the rimworld modding community is like, but it's possible there aren't so many egotists and prima donnas as many of the nexus hubs.

If the modders in those hubs weren't such fuckwits then rules about deletion wouldn't be required, but the fact they throw hissy fits whenever their authoritah is challenged makes those rules necessary.

Imagine if authors had the ability to completely remove their books from the world because they got one bad review on goodreads.

The Rimworld modding community is of the "cathedral" mentality as described by the Morrowind modder Wrye. Lots of mods build upon each other, and many modders create mods for the specific purpose of serving as a shared resource for other mods.

Fewer modders that act like primadonnas wanking off over how awesome they are for making a single mod, more modders that consider their stuff a contribution to the overall community.

Codex Year of the Donut
but thankfully there are games thriving with mods like Rimworld that get along just fine without them

ehm. you realise that's just because they use the workshop, right?
I realise it's not. Been modding it since A10. Both their forums and reddit heavily supplement it. Workshop adds ease of use, but then, nobody takes money for it or dictates some bullshit ownership over them, which is kind of the point when it comes to fan made free content.

I don't know what the rimworld modding community is like, but it's possible there aren't so many egotists and prima donnas as many of the nexus hubs.

If the modders in those hubs weren't such fuckwits then rules about deletion wouldn't be required, but the fact they throw hissy fits whenever their authoritah is challenged makes those rules necessary.

Imagine if authors had the ability to completely remove their books from the world because they got one bad review on goodreads.

The Rimworld modding community is of the "cathedral" mentality as described by the Morrowind modder Wrye. Lots of mods build upon each other, and many modders create mods for the specific purpose of serving as a shared resource for other mods.

Fewer modders that act like primadonnas wanking off over how awesome they are for making a single mod, more modders that consider their stuff a contribution to the overall community.
Probably can be attributed it to rimworld mods requiring some C# knowledge therefore it's more likely programmers will be making the mods than randoms.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

Never really considered it as such, most mods are still quite standalone even if there are a few common library mods, but this sounds reasonably accurate when I think about it.

Probably can be attributed it to rimworld mods requiring some C# knowledge therefore it's more likely programmers will be making the mods than randoms.
Overwhelming majority of Rimworld mods is done via XML manipulation. As long as something falls within the bounds of the games robust behaviors (or C# lib mods) it's a matter of adding it's definitions and/or modifying existing ones, which the game also accommodates really well through XPath. C# mods are usually reserved for few core library mods adding or expanding said behaviours, and a bit of others doing some completely new stuff through overloading some of the games functions (decompiled source code is available, though outdated a bit), but even those will still likely have a good part of them written in XML. To sum it up - Rimworld modding is easy as fuck, and the statement is far from true.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Arthmoor said:
Ya'll can go ahead and get the accusations of hypocrisy over with for the work I will be leaving here since I am in a position at the moment where the income generated through DPs is providing enough to keep me from starving to death (but not much more).

Fucking Called It.

I am patiently awaiting Arthmoor's response.. Nexus actually pays out money to modders now based on Download counts and that's really all Arthmoor cares about so I'm wondering if he's going.. to.. actually.. put all his mods on ModDB in protest..? :lol:

Every Modder out there claiming Arthmoor would pull his stuff, using his famous patch fix mods as a guillotine over Nexus to Fight their little crusade.. :lol:
(He even calls it out, knowing his crew of deranged modder friends are gonna bash him for not holding the line - Arthmoor is the original Prima Dona)

At the end of the day though, Arthmoor cares only about money.
All his Pro-Creative rights preaching is just backwards rationalizations from "how can I monetize my mods"

To be fair, he removed a few smaller things but anything of note he's leaving up it seems.
Most of his smaller mods are also extremely easy to replicate. Every void that he leaves just opens it up for another non-crazy modder to fill. I think his Parthanux Dilemna mod would take maybe an afternoon to reproduce.

This is going to allow new faces to rise up who have no issues with Nexus policy.

:incline:

EDIT:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/oy4ft5/arthmoor_removing_most_of_his_mods_from_nexus/

RedditUserA said:
I knew he'd wait until the last day to make the largest shitstorm possible.

RedditUserB said:
He also made sure to exract as much $$ as possible from the Nexus before leaving.

RedditUserC said:
Pretty crazy to expect upholding of legal rights when he filed a false DMCA-claim out of spite.

RedditUserD said:
Arthmoor has intentionally dealt in lies and misinformation to oppose Wabbajack and other forms of modlist creation for years now, and now that he's finally lost that battle, he's taking his ball and going home. Of course he made sure to stay on the Nexus until the last possible moment for that sweet, sweet DP.

RedditUserE said:
Starfield will be nice without having his idiot self around.

RedditUserF said:
Oh well. (sic.) Time for others to take his place and hopefully they aren’t as angry and sad as he has always been.

:lol:

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Final day for deletion so I look forward to these morons having no recourse but submitting illegitimate DMCA requests going forward.
Why does Skyrim in particular attract the worst parlor modders imaginable?

Even today I was looking for a few mod dependencies for Fallout New Vegas and couldn't find them anywhere.
I love clicking a Nexus link and it leads to a dead page with that orange bar saying "This mod has been removed"

It's surreal to me that after today, this will never be an issue again.
I can't wait - all the autistic screaming from the most unbearable people you'll ever meet is really just a side bonus.

DraQ

Arcane
Final day for deletion so I look forward to these morons having no recourse but submitting illegitimate DMCA requests going forward.
Arthmoor said:
Due to the recent policy changes Nexus has instituted, I have put in the request for deletion of most of my files here. Not to worry, everything I have done over the last 15 years has been on AFK Mods for several years now for all of the BGS games I've modded. The files for Skyrim Special Edition and Fallout 4 are also available through the bethesda.net website.

Ya'll can go ahead and get the accusations of hypocrisy over with for the work I will be leaving here since I am in a position at the moment where the income generated through DPs is providing enough to keep me from starving to death (but not much more).

As of this notice, no more updates or new material will be uploaded by myself.

Per the standing agreements with the unofficial patch team members, the unofficial patches for SSE and Fallout 4 will continue to receive all regularly scheduled updates, but these will be the ONLY packages in my account that will be.

Here's to hoping that current efforts by several parties to launch sites that honor a mod author's legal right to delete their content take hold and provide some badly needed competition in this space.

I also want to make one thing crystal clear: No permission will be granted to anyone to upload any of my work that is deleted to Nexus or any other website. So don't ask.
https://www.nexusmods.com/users/684492?tab=about+me

Most assholes doing this has been minor modders, but this guy actually have a lot of good content for Skyrim, so that sucks I guess. But let the culling continue I presume, someone else will step up.

You can see his stuff here:

https://www.nexusmods.com/users/684492?tab=user+files&BH=1

Just sort by unique downloads.
Arthmoor has already outed himself as scummy asshole back during the original paid mod fiasco, so that's thoroughly unsurprising.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
This whole shebang is giving me a hard-on. The good guys winning for once, and all the whiners left sobbing by the wayside, crying that we’ll regret our joy when The Big Mod Drought sets in, which will of course never happen

Reever

Scholar
Patron
This whole shebang is giving me a hard-on. The good guys winning for once, and all the whiners left sobbing by the wayside, crying that we’ll regret our joy when The Big Mod Drought sets in, which will of course never happen
The whole modding scene was born out of people that put in work for the love of the game. They'd have to be delusional or dishonest to think that this minor change would kill the scene. If anything getting rid of all these grifters will only benefit it in the long run.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder if Arthmoor will pull a Tessera and start putting anti-Nexus memes in all his mods, like Tessera did with Wesp5.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

It's Aug 06.. So if a Mod you love isn't gone from Nexus already.. it never will be.
In before "Muh Cease and Desist letters" - We have reached peak modding utopia - we can now begin to heal.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's Aug 06.. So if a Mod you love isn't gone from Nexus already.. it never will be.
In before "Muh Cease and Desist letters" - We have reached peak modding utopia - we can now begin to heal.

Expect a lot of seething from modders in the next couple of weeks when they realise the Nexus isn't going to fall down in their absence.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Expect a lot of seething from modders in the next couple of weeks when they realise the Nexus isn't going to fall down in their absence.

It's already begun in the feedback forum lol.

A bunch of no-namer modders who all have that huge "EPIC MOD PROJECT" they haven't released yet - talking about how they are moving to x or y site, or how there's a new Nexus-Killer website in the works.. it's all hearsay and "I heard from a secret source but I can't say anything" or "my uncle works at a datacenter" type bullshit.

The reality is most of them are shirking back into private discords.. too mentally deficient to hold a job so that's the only file hosting they can afford.

Good luck with that..
I'm sure millions and millions of people are going to queue up to visit "Modderguy64's rock texture" discord channel.

Oddly, despite hating Nexus / pulling all their mods, they seem to have no issue with hanging around like a clingy ex bitching on the forums still, seriously just fuck off now. :lol:

(Even more funny is watching the mood and indignation shift away from "You need us" to "Nexus is unwilling to compromise or engage with us" the final flailing whines of a dying minority of egomaniacs who were told "no" )

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Even today I was looking for a few mod dependencies for Fallout New Vegas and couldn't find them anywhere.
I love clicking a Nexus link and it leads to a dead page with that orange bar saying "This mod has been removed"

It's surreal to me that after today, this will never be an issue again.
I can't wait - all the autistic screaming from the most unbearable people you'll ever meet is really just a side bonus.

This is what people who defend the modders' "right" to remove their content think is a good and normal thing.

Libraries of broken download links where you can't get a mod to run because half of its dependent components have been removed by their authors.

Utter fucking bullshit.

Modding is a community, not some personal fame-seeking endeavor. You create a mod for a game you love and share it with others who love the game. Someone might take your mod and modify it and release his own spinoff.
(fun fact: in the Civ4 mod community there's a thing called "modmods", where people make submods for the big total conversion mods of major mod teams - essentially people modding a mod to suit their own tastes better)

Every reasonable modder in the history of modding has accepted, even embraced the fact that contributing a mod to the community means it's gonna be part of that community forever. You can't take it back anymore, it now belongs to everyone.

Just like Wrye's cathedral analogy, where you can't decide years later that you wanna remove the stained glass windows you contributed to the cathedral.
It's part of the whole now. Deal with it. If you didn't want it to be there, why did you contribute it in the first place? Fuck off.

Arthmoor said:
Due to the recent policy changes Nexus has instituted, I have put in the request for deletion of most of my files here. Not to worry, everything I have done over the last 15 years has been on AFK Mods for several years now for all of the BGS games I've modded. The files for Skyrim Special Edition and Fallout 4 are also available through the bethesda.net website.

As of this notice, no more updates or new material will be uploaded by myself.

Per the standing agreements with the unofficial patch team members, the unofficial patches for SSE and Fallout 4 will continue to receive all regularly scheduled updates, but these will be the ONLY packages in my account that will be.

Here's to hoping that current efforts by several parties to launch sites that honor a mod author's legal right to delete their content take hold and provide some badly needed competition in this space.

I also want to make one thing crystal clear: No permission will be granted to anyone to upload any of my work that is deleted to Nexus or any other website. So don't ask.
https://www.nexusmods.com/users/684492?tab=about+me
I remember when modding communities laughed at ever making money off their work. They never took it seriously. The good days of Neverwinter Nights, Doom, Quake, HL and UT mods. People did things for passion. And they weren't so damn possessive over shit that didn't matter and no one important cared about.

But then like all things, the autists became trannies. The HRT rotted their brains. And they start doing stupid shit like pretend they have a watertight copyright for a fucking game mod of a game that belongs to an IP that ISN'T THEIRS. Nexus archiving the mods does not affect the end consumer in any way. In fact it's really useful when a Wabbajack install relys on really specific mods. Because when yet another sperg out over politics occurs, these parasitical tape worms can't do shit. If they felt this strongly that their work is going to waste now and Nexus is a big meany MAKE A FUCKING GAME! You'll own all the rights and can decide no one else but you deserves to play it all you want. You can shit out all the games you want and waste all your good work in peace.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

I'm just finding out that lists are a quasi-premium feature that's not available to free users. Yup, getting some good shekel payouts for doing the greater good and you get shills like the self-secure chads in this thread defending you. Its a sweet life running a file hosting site. Hopefully Bethesda notices this and adds more ''features'' that push the dick farther up users' asses.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Nexus archiving the mods does not affect the end consumer in any way.
But what if a modder wants to get rid of a mod because he no longer wants his name/username associated with said mod? For example, to prevent a libel situation one just realized could happen.
This argument played out some pages back. Counter is that ''its pussy shit, as long as retarded modders are angry, I'm happy''.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
But what if a modder wants to get rid of a mod because he no longer wants his name/username associated with said mod? For example, to prevent a libel situation one just realized could happen.
This argument played out some pages back. Counter is that ''its pussy shit, as long as retarded modders are angry, I'm happy''.
Yeah unless you're getting sued. Or your searching for a job. (I don't care about the mod itself lol, just the fact that something is attached to your name and you can't get rid of it)

Actually, all the KOTOR1/2 modders use Deadlystream - as well as a few still hosted at Gamefront lol. The guy who did the "Wrath of the Blood Angel" for Chaos Rising is going through ModDB, for a recent while actually.

So all that will really happen is reverting back to those sites as the Nexus monopoly falls.

Show some personal responsibility perhaps? Don't post anything to a public forum that can get you sued. That should be obvious. If you make a mod that slags off a mate of yours (and I can absolutely see the juvinile smoothbrains who mod Bethesda games doing this.) and get sued for that it's on you for doing that to begin with. Why would you even do that?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Show some personal responsibility perhaps? Don't post anything to a public forum that can get you sued. That should be obvious.
You make a mod 6 years ago when you're still in public school. You have aged since then. You are more mature and you understand the world more, and now you can see that what you did in the past is a current threat.

If you make a mod that slags off a mate of yours (and I can absolutely see the juvinile smoothbrains who mod Bethesda games doing this.) and get sued for that it's on you for doing that to begin with. Why would you even do that?
Because you and your friend thought it was funny when you did years ago. 6 years later, your friend becomes your worst enemy and bam. Lawsuit. And note that their intention is to hurt you, with the mod just the means.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I can absolutely see the juvinile smoothbrains who mod Bethesda games doing this.
And now people will correlate "Trans-FInancial-Man" as someone who uses insults such as "juvenile smoothbrains." (This is a public forum)

Except you can delete it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom