Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sell me a Co-Op Game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My crew is looking for a "new hotness" in co-op. Not necessarily a modern game, but something to hook us.

Requirements:
  • Game is good.
  • PvE co-op only. No PvP, "player invasions" etc.
  • Good without mods.
  • Support for at least 8 players, but fun with just 1 or 2 people. Our group mates can be flaky.
  • Long-term goals to keep us coming back: persistent base building, RPG progression, a main quest requiring dozens of hours, or just such good gameplay and content variation we'll never get sick of it.
  • Drop-in, drop-out OK.
  • Well suited for 2-hour sessions.
  • Action-packed enough that players can log in and be doing something exciting almost immediately. Fishing and flower collecting are OK but must not be required to get to the kung fu.
  • Preferred: classes, roles, character building, or other asymmetrical aspects to gameplay for people to specialize in different things; not "10 guys with assault rifles".
Thanks in advance for any insight. There are so many games out there that fit almost perfectly, but most have a 4 player limit which is killing my group.

I realize Valheim fits all parameters but my team isn't going for it (yet) for some reason. Looking for more options.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Having to be at least up to 8 players is the death knell here. Most good co-op games that aren't survival orientated (or are MMOs) are up to four.

Re: MMO, and unfortunately most MMOs are not drop-in-drop-out exactly, mostly for fear of DC'ing during raids and such.

It would also help if you mention games you've already played so you don't waste peoples time?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It would also help if you mention games you've already played so you don't waste peoples time?
We played a lot of Insurgency: Sandstorm for a while (and still are) but it's kind of losing steam. It's lasted this long as a 'middle ground' game that everyone enjoys a little, but it's no one's favorite.
Conan: Exiles was great while it lasted but not everyone wanted to get on board.
Among Us was a blast, especially as it accommodated so many people, but it gets samey fast and not everyone in the group likes fighting their friends.
Years ago, City of Heroes was a wonderful MMO most of us enjoyed. I know that somewhere people are doing revival servers but it's very dated now.
A few of us played Secret World Legends for a while.

Note I am not entirely opposed to MMO type games as long as "strangers being annoying" is minimized/eliminated, and it's casual friendly.

Trithne

Erudite
Was going to say that Valheim is pretty much exactly what you're after, just set up a dedicated server for it and you'd be golden.

We tried out Generation Zero as a possible co-op game but it's fundamentally flawed - only the host saves their progress.

Tbh, I can't think of anything that really gets over the four player limit hurdle, outside of survival games ala 7 days etc. While I never joined them for it my group did play a bunch of 7 days and it seemed to work well.

The original Guild Wars - although with a caveat that there are some areas where your eight man group would have to split up; early sections of the campaigns are limited to 4- or 6-man parties, and the Nightfall campaign requires a slot to be occupied by specific AI party members for some quests and missions. It is also not entirely drop-in drop-out, in that you can only form a party and enter a mission or explorable area from a town or outpost, not join halfway through a mission. Otherwise, though, it should fit the bill. The gameplay is very fun and well-executed with a variety of roles / play styles, and there is a lot of content.

Magitex

Educated
If your crew can handle space, Avorion scales really well and cuts right to the point. This one is quite addictive I found, between the ship building/mining/player faction system/pirating/journey to the core, but decades of space games where you don't do anything for long periods of time might turn your group away before you can convince anyone otherwise.

Barotrauma could be another option if you like the pain and suffering of learning to work together to survive at the bottom of the ocean, although I think you can only pick up new crew between missions (20 mins).

ferratilis

Magister
You won't find any good co-op games that support 8 players, that's the first thing we need to clear up.

I recommend Deep Rock Galactic, it's the most fun I've had in co-op, but I played with only one friend (supports up to 4). You're a dwarf miner in space, there are classes, missions are procedurally generated, there is a hub where you can fuck around with your buddies, missions are not too long, it's well optimized, it's not pay-to-win or riddled with microtransactions. Fun is guaranteed.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Of the very few games even worth looking at in this category, my group had the most fun long-term with Valheim, and short-term with Among Us (it gets old after a few sessions IMO but is very fun until then)

Last edited:
PorkyThePaladin I am looking at 7 Days to Die as a possibility; your input would be welcomed.

I haven't played 7 Days To Die in years, but back then it was awesome, put in hundreds of hours into it, though solo. Not complete sure how it plays in co-op (cause Crispy refused to create a server, the nerve of that old geezer...), but I think it would be fun. It's basically Minecraft for adults.

More recently, I keep hearing Valheim is a lot of fun alone or in co-op.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
7days to die is good fun, only thing one really should look out for is a good Seed!

Since the game randomly generates content you can have the same size map with 7 Skyskrapers or with 0, in the end you can always do Everything the game has to offer on any map but it can be way more fun on one map compared to another

The Game has a nice amount of PVE content, is relatively hard and lends itself perfectly to shared labor (one guy get the sulfur, the other the potassium etc to craft bullets)

Here we build an airfield late game, the airstrip even lights up at night through a timing circuit:

Bcpu79m.jpg

zvEFEJ2.jpg

Quilty

Magister
I still enjoy Left 4 Dead, it has the versus option where 4 people play as the special zombies while 4 other people play as survivors, that would satisfy your 8-person requirement and it's good fun.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Sure, I dabble quite a bit in coop games so let me scratch my head...
Support for at least 8 players
Nevermind, for me coop is like 4 ppl max and even then that automatically pushes you into games like L4d, vermintide or galactic rock. 2 player coop is the sweet spot for variety.
But for up to 8 ppl? And with the rest of your requirements? That really pushes you into just sandbox survival builders or mmos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom