Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is a THREAT

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Maybe someone is trying emails/password combos from pwned lists?

Don't reuse passwords people.
Yes, it appears a couple of users (including someone with admin forum access) have had their accounts compromised through hacks on other places - where they use the same email / password combo. We highly recommend everyone enable two factor authentication which will prevent access even if your account is kompromat.

This is a good thing though because it saves me from having to ban half the forum and delete accounts after a mole hunt. Can you imagine the drama behind that?

Also, it only looks like they grabbed about 14 threads and some page indexes from the admin forum. Though truthfully, I haven't been through the full logs yet. Once I have, I should be able to list all compromised accounts, and track down who logged in and out of what. Then take appropriate action.

But phew, good thing it's this and not a bunch of legitimate users that I'd have to nuke from high orbit.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This is why there needs be to an auto-delete of inactive accounts. After, say, 6 months of inactivity.
How about an auto-delete of new accounts that post more than twice a day in the first 6 weeks?
New accounts are not a security threat. Old inactive accounts with full access to everything are obviously there just to circumvent a ban or something of that sort.
But new accounts that post too often are a shitposter threat, while old accounts that don't post are usually just boring lurkers. 90% of forum members only read without posting.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin

Can't handle the bacon

This is why there needs be to an auto-delete of inactive accounts. After, say, 6 months of inactivity.
How about an auto-delete of new accounts that post more than twice a day in the first 6 weeks?
New accounts are not a security threat. Old inactive accounts with full access to everything are obviously there just to circumvent a ban or something of that sort.
But new accounts that post too often are a shitposter threat, while old accounts that don't post are usually just boring lurkers. 90% of forum members only read without posting.
You did not say anything that contradicts my point. Also, lurkers are creepy and should be banned anyway. They contribute nothing to the forum, not even shitposting, which is often amusing and oddly-stimulating.

But as I said, any old account with barely any posts is potentially there to circumvent a ban. And all the people who got horribly butthurt over my innocuous suggestion just outed themselves. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
You did not say anything that contradicts my point. Also, lurkers are creepy and should be banned anyway. They contribute nothing to the forum, not even shitposting, which is often amusing and oddly-stimulating.

But as I said, any old account with barely any posts is potentially there to circumvent a ban. And all the people who got horribly butthurt over my innocuous suggestion just outed themselves. :lol:
I wasn't trying to contradict your point, I was trying to imply that you are a shitposter.

Can't handle the bacon

I wasn't trying to contradict your point, I was trying to imply that you are a shitposter.
I know what you're trying to imply, you're just not witty enough to deliver a proper zinger.

I'll meet you half-way on the lurkers: any account that hasn't posted in years should have its posting privileges permanently removed, but still able to log in and read stuff. There, your precious lurkers are now protected. Happy? Oh right, you're just doing a painfully-unfunny NO U routine.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

I know what you're trying to imply, you're just not witty enough to deliver a proper zinger.
The ratings prove otherwise...
:martini:

Maxie

Yes, it appears a couple of users (including someone with admin forum access) have had their accounts compromised through hacks on other places - where they use the same email / password combo. We highly recommend everyone enable two factor authentication which will prevent access even if your account is kompromat.

This is a good thing though because it saves me from having to ban half the forum and delete accounts after a mole hunt. Can you imagine the drama behind that?

Also, it only looks like they grabbed about 14 threads and some page indexes from the admin forum. Though truthfully, I haven't been through the full logs yet. Once I have, I should be able to list all compromised accounts, and track down who logged in and out of what. Then take appropriate action.

But phew, good thing it's this and not a bunch of legitimate users that I'd have to nuke from high orbit.

kompromat means KOMpromising MATerial, not compromised
as in, benzo receipts someone can pull out on you to make you docile, otherwise he leaks it to the public that you're a benzo fiend...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

kompromat means KOMpromising MATerial, not compromised
as in, benzo receipts someone can pull out on you to make you docile, otherwise he leaks it to the public that you're a benzo fiend...
You know an awful lot about Kompromat Maxie.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I rather expose myself to a real security threat than your shitposting.

And it's obvious you're someone's alt anyways. Just butthurt you didn't come up with a 'novel' idea of having a sleeper account. Or maybe it was banned. Who cares.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2jZx.gif

My diagnosis was right. Now he logs out and back to read this reply with another account.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom