Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs where pants and boots aren't glued together

• Thread starter Can't handle the bacon
  • Start date

Dodo1610

Arcane
Drakensang has item slots for everything even shoulder pads
xDh6H8j.png

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
A good chunk of roguelikes feature this, because acid on the floor shouldn't destroy your pants. Off the top of my head, ADOM, NetHack, Angband and Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I don't really see the gameplay reason of having a separate "pants" slot, aside from cosmetics. Chestpiece gives you general defence, helmet protects your head from criticals, gloves can affect your grip on a weapon, belt can have utility functions, boots can affect kicking/movement speed/sneak/etc.

What's the gameplay purpose of pants? Functionally pants are just another slot that would give you +armor, which is boring. May as well merge it into chestpiece.

I don't really see the gameplay reason of having a separate "pants" slot, aside from cosmetics. Chestpiece gives you general defence, helmet protects your head from criticals, gloves can affect your grip on a weapon, belt can have utility functions, boots can affect kicking/movement speed/sneak/etc.

What's the gameplay purpose of pants? Functionally pants are just another slot that would give you +armor, which is boring. May as well merge it into chestpiece.

A game where you aim at bodyparts where each counts as it's own +armor? Fallout and AoD. Also GURPS does this I believe.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

A lot of RPGs try to sell the player on the plausibility of their settings. That means doing things in a sensible or logical way, even if there's no immediately obvious gameplay benefit. Differentiating pants and greaves from shirts and breastplates falls under that heading.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

You can get far more interesting things on gear than just armor, and people like the idea of building up a character and finding items. You used to be able to get gear for each slot, and put ability points into anything, make a strong wizard or an intelligent warrior or whatever. With the "may as well merge it" logic we end up with games like Skyrim where they merged the traditional RPG party of 6 into a single superhero character, they merged hundreds of spells into about 12, merged all the various stats and abilities into Health/Stamina/Magicka, merged exploring and investigation quests into just running towards the gps marker, etc.. etc.. The end result is 'streamlined' basic shit for the modern idiot and console tards. This is textbook "the decline."

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If you can have a separate slot for gloves, you can do it for the boots.

Please list all the RPGs (preferably 3D ones, where you can actually see what your character is wearing) that have an inventory system with a dedicated boots slot.

I'll spare you a comment on your introduction with "role-playing game game" i'm sure your generation is going to call cRPG: "RPGG games" at some point...

The game your searching is Wizardry 8, for the 3D part of the wizardry franchise but i'm not an expert on the early entries.

hqdefault.jpg

Can't handle the bacon

I'll spare you a comment on your introduction with "role-playing game game" i'm sure your generation is going to call cRPG: "RPGG games" at some point...
I was wondering how long it would take for some autistic moron to fail to realize that this was a joke, despite the (and ATM machine) inserted immediately afterwards to make it unambiguous. Which implies that you not only lack basic context comprehension skills, but also too retarded to know what ATM stands for.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I need to start misspelling more thread titles.
A misspelled word in a niche topic for a niche genre of entertainment?
*pulls up trousers*
Sounds like a call for my unique brand of autism.

Yours appears to have to do with feet and/or boots.
I just like to be able to wear a nice pair of boots, or have the option to go barefoot! It's not autistic!!

I just wanna play a party of fully clothed but barefoot female characters.

d9gv9ht-65eaf9ce-93cd-46a5-ac86-c693e52e6fed.jpg

If game developers don't let me do that I'll just accuse them of footphobia and sue them for discrimination!!

Saduj

Arcane
Kenshi has slots for head, shirt, armor, pants and boots. No gloves for whatever reason. Some races can't wear all types of armor. All armor pieces have % covered for different parts of the body and have different resistances for cutting and blunt damage. Some armor pieces cover more of the body than others like pants that give partial coverage of the stomach or long coats that give partial leg and head coverage. Overlapping armor pieces provide layers of protection and damage is tracked separately for head, chest, stomach, each arm and each leg (with limb loss possible). Many armor pieces also have bonuses or penalties associated with wearing them. Damage to different parts of the body result in different penalties and there is also a blood loss mechanic. Wearing expensive stuff also helps escaped slaves to avoid detection and there is a disguise mechanic that I've never bothered to use...

Overall character building is pretty shallow but the armor system offers a ton of valid choices.

Wunderbar

Arcane

You can get far more interesting things on gear than just armor, and people like the idea of building up a character and finding items. You used to be able to get gear for each slot, and put ability points into anything, make a strong wizard or an intelligent warrior or whatever. With the "may as well merge it" logic we end up with games like Skyrim where they merged the traditional RPG party of 6 into a single superhero character, they merged hundreds of spells into about 12, merged all the various stats and abilities into Health/Stamina/Magicka, merged exploring and investigation quests into just running towards the gps marker, etc.. etc.. The end result is 'streamlined' basic shit for the modern idiot and console tards. This is textbook "the decline."
Now don't distort things, removing actual mechanics isn't the same as "merging pants and boots in one slot". It may be the decline in simulationist/immersion sense, but not every game needs to be like Morrowind. Why waste resources on thing that have no mechanical purpose? Would, for example, TOEE benefit from having separate pants slot, if it's already has a bunch of slots (helmets/gloves /boots/cloaks) that don't give you anything and only useful when you find some super rare wondrous artifact? As far as I know, the game has like one set of boots that give you something and not just fill a slot, and all other "chainmail boots", "plate boots" etc give you diddly squat. I'm not saying that dnd-based crpgs should've had item slots cut/streamlined, it's just an example.

Location-based damage is a good reason to have a separate pants slot, but even then you can get by without it if you merge boots and pants into "legs" slot, because the effect of getting your feet crippled or getting your knee crippled is similar - character receives a movement penalty.

In the end, what's the difference between pants and an amulet /ring/charm slot, if the game doesn't have bodypart-specific item effects and doesn't visually change your character's appearance depending on what you wear? Personally, I'm all for streamlining useless shit if it would give more resources to other mechanics.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
TES getting rid of armor/clothing slots is an absolute decline, I totally agree.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

Now don't distort things, removing actual mechanics isn't the same as "merging pants and boots in one slot". It may be the decline in simulationist/immersion sense, but not every game needs to be like Morrowind. Why waste resources on thing that have no mechanical purpose? Would, for example, TOEE benefit from having separate pants slot, if it's already has a bunch of slots (helmets/gloves /boots/cloaks) that don't give you anything and only useful when you find some super rare wondrous artifact? As far as I know, the game has like one set of boots that give you something and not just fill a slot, and all other "chainmail boots", "plate boots" etc gave you squat. I'm not saying that dnd-based crpg should've had item slots cut/streamlined, it's just an example.

Location-based damage is a good reason to have a separate pants slot, but even then you can get by without it if you merge boots and pants into "legs" slot, because the effect of getting your feet crippled or getting your knee crippled is similar - character receives a movement penalty.

In the end, what's the difference between pants and an amulet /ring/charm slot, if the game doesn't have bodypart-specific item effects and doesn't visually change your character's appearance depending on what you wear? Personally, I'm all for streamlining useless shit if it would give more resources to other mechanics.

It depends on the game and how interesting the items are and the character building is. It is so bad in most modern RPGs that yeah, I would remove it entirely. DoS2 for example, loot was just a chore, I'd prefer no loot at all.

But in my favorite RPG I can remember the name of famous items in every slot. Pants, boots, rings, masks, helms, etc. And they all could do things. Masks could have spells that help you see in the dark or invisible enemies. Boots could have a spell that let you run fast. Some other boots could let you float. A magic ring could transform you into a different creature. Leggings could protect you from being ensnared. Etc. In a game like that, the more depth the better. More gear to go on adventures for, more decisions to make etc.

My argument with Elder Scrolls has always been that it sucks as an RPG and it sucks as an action game. They chopped out all the depth so it's not an RPG anymore. But it sucks as an action game too, you can't double tap to dodge, there are barely any spells or abilities that require aim or target leading etc. Health/mana recovery requires pausing the entire game to find all your cheese. Etc.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I was wondering how long it would take for some autistic moron to fail to realize that this was a joke, despite the (and ATM machine) inserted immediately afterwards to make it unambiguous. Which implies that you not only lack basic context comprehension skills, but also too retarded to know what ATM stands for.

That's typically the kind of message i read diagonally, i probably assumed ATM referred to yourself (Autistic Trap Midget)

Was i wrong?
No, i'm not going to half-read your message again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom