Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - parodic fantasy tactical RPG - now with Back to the Futon DLC

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
God that painting is soooo quintessentially nerdy D&D :)

(I seem to recall there was a discussion a while ago elsewhere about the artist, whose name of course I've forgotten - sadly he didn't do many paintings for games, but he did s-f and pulp cover type things.)
Glen Orbik (1963-2015): https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/d-d-5e-discussion.88595/page-119#post-7279819
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/post-random-images.83834/page-2078#post-6936694

Chad artists ftw :)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
IRL, I owned a "medieval" axe till it broke and own a 175 lbf crossbow.
Picture or it didn't happen. Because IRL I have a 176 lbf crossbow, and I'll shoot an apple off your head if you look at me the wrong way. Just how I roll. /WillyTell.

Ok, let's invite Sawyer, Kurwitz, Inxile and Beamdog to a Guillaume Tell's party, don't forget to bring your crossbows, i just want a shot at one Inxile's writer or combat designer, you can share the rest if you want, i'm guessing we'll have some spare apples for an apple pie after the party.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
IRL, I owned a "medieval" axe till it broke and own a 175 lbf crossbow.
Picture or it didn't happen. Because IRL I have a 176 lbf crossbow, and I'll shoot an apple off your head if you look at me the wrong way. Just how I roll. /WillyTell.

Ok, let's invite Sawyer, Kurwitz, Inxile and Beamdog to a Guillaume Tell's party, don't forget to bring your crossbows, i just want a shot at one Inxile's writer or combat designer, you can share the rest if you want, i'm guessing we'll have some spare apples for an apple pie after the party.

Don't forget that for a Guillaume Tell party crossbow&apple isn't enough, you also need to bring a child.

EDIT ; oh right Inxile & Beamdog, even better.

Erebus

Arcane
Finished the game on Epic.

This time, I took the priestess. A pretty good choice. The paladin isn't exactly bad, but she doesn't bring anything really remarkable, whereas the healing spells of the priestess are much better than what the other characters can use.

The final fight was fun. My PCs were even more unlucky than when they faced the servants of the god of bad luck, and I can't bear to remember how many critical failures I had to endure.

Near the end of the fight, Zangdar's shield went down once again and he only had a bit more than 200 hp left. But on the other hand, three of my PCs were down and the others were hurt.

I decided to focus on attacking instead of healing. I expected I'd be able to bring Zangdar down to 0 hp before he could act again... and I was wrong. He survived my attacks with approximately 20 hp left. As I watched him cast yet another ice storm, I thought that I was completely fucked.

And I was wrong again. Zangdar's spell hit my entire party, freezing most of my surviving heroes, but the fucking idiot included himself in the area of effect ! He lost his last few hp to his own spell, a funny way for me to win the fight and the game.

Now to try the DLC.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished the game on Epic.

This time, I took the priestess. A pretty good choice. The paladin isn't exactly bad, but she doesn't bring anything really remarkable, whereas the healing spells of the priestess are much better than what the other characters can use.

The final fight was fun. My PCs were even more unlucky than when they faced the servants of the god of bad luck, and I can't bear to remember how many critical failures I had to endure.

Near the end of the fight, Zangdar's shield went down once again and he only had a bit more than 200 hp left. But on the other hand, three of my PCs were down and the others were hurt.

I decided to focus on attacking instead of healing. I expected I'd be able to bring Zangdar down to 0 hp before he could act again... and I was wrong. He survived my attacks with approximately 20 hp left. As I watched him cast yet another ice storm, I thought that I was completely fucked.

And I was wrong again. Zangdar's spell hit my entire party, freezing most of my surviving heroes, but the fucking idiot included himself in the area of effect ! He lost his last few hp to his own spell, a funny way for me to win the fight and the game.

Now to try the DLC.

Minstrel is by far the best.

Desiderius

Patron
Mostly joking but it is really good and offers its own unique angles of attack (buffing the Ogre is solid). Has some good adjacency bonuses and having one stat control pretty much everything is of course always good. Once it gets the good instrument it can just slay too.

Pal seems like too much overlap with Dwarf and Priestess with Elf/Wiz. Of course they’ve got their own unique strategies they can facilitate.

Erebus

Arcane
The paladin is a bit too similar to the dwarf, and she's not quite as good (in part because she has fewer hp).

The priestess is the ultimate healer. Her basic healing spell has a very short cooldown, she has another one she can use when necessary, and yet another one with AoE. She also has a spell than can remove all afflictions. The healing abilities of the ranger, the elf and the wizardess are considerably more limited.

I'll probably try the minstrel one of these days.

Desiderius

Patron
Res is all that matters and they can all do it. Elf in fact is pretty good and fits will with her skill rotation, as does Wiz. Ranger is touch range so not as good but has some good condition removal.

I feel like Minstrel's ability to ignore most stats is better than it looks, maybe much better. Funny that you can't find the Minstrel skill tree on line. Rosewater was right - people really can't resist life gain/healing for some reason.

Since potions are more like scrolls (you can use them on someone else) I just give everyone a heal and call it a day.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Priestess also does insane damage with the Chain Lightning, very versatile character.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
Since potions are more like scrolls

Speaking of potions, does anyone ever use buffing potions (including beer and wine) in combat ? I almost never do. Especially at high level, I feel like the buffs aren't worth sacrificing an action.

Desiderius

Patron

Speaking of potions, does anyone ever use buffing potions (including beer and wine) in combat ? I almost never do. Especially at high level, I feel like the buffs aren't worth sacrificing an action.

Sometimes they’re ok to use like a buff spell for another character or to take advantage of turn order. If you’re turtling the first round isn’t always that important so sometimes you’ve got a window. Biggest problem is that they don’t scale and the drawbacks are substantial.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

There are quite a few things that don't seem to have good action economy. On the other hand, given the amount of debuffs coming from the mobs at times, it can be worth the occasional "wasted" turn.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Priestess also does insane damage with the Chain Lighting, very versatile character.
Yes it is the best of the three characters and covers your party weakness. To be honest she should have been a core party character,you need that cleric,wiz,rogue and warrior base.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Some lategame consumables are worth it in specific situations, but the short answer is no. They should have made consuming them an action that didn't end the turn but just consumed movement.

Erebus

Arcane
Finished the DLC, siding with the vampires. I originally meant to side with the necromancers, but I couldn't resist the appeal of the reincarnation of Carmilla (the ranger and the wizardess also couldn't resist her).

Way too short, even if you can side with two different factions. The fights are okay, but the enemies lack variety.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Funny that you can't find the Minstrel skill tree on line. Rosewater was right - people really can't resist life gain/healing for some reason.

I think the issue is that the guy's voice and interactions are annoying af. It's too bad there's no option to kick him off a cliff.
He's also the only male companion and looks pretty gay, so there's that too.

Erebus

Arcane
DLC is a scam, yeah

I haven't seen everything it has to offer (I seem to have missed the Frankentroll sidequest), but it definitely appears too expensive for what it is.

The fights are about as entertaining as in the original game, which is good. I was playing on Epic and had to reload once, for the fight involving the toxic cloud (I realized too late how much damage the fucking thing could inflict). The final fight against the necromancers was a close thing.

Being high-level right from the start isn't hugely exciting (as illustrated by many D&D games). It's a bit of a problem with this DLC. You can gain a single level, but there's not much to aim for anyway, because you've already unlocked the most powerful abilities.

I do hope that the next DLCs will be a bit more creative.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
DLC is a scam, yeah

I haven't seen everything it has to offer (I seem to have missed the Frankentroll sidequest), but it definitely appears too expensive for what it is.

The fights are about as entertaining as in the original game, which is good. I was playing on Epic and had to reload once, for the fight involving the toxic cloud (I realized too late how much damage the fucking thing could inflict). The final fight against the necromancers was a close thing.

Being high-level right from the start isn't hugely exciting (as illustrated by many D&D games). It's a bit of a problem with this DLC. You can gain a single level, but there's not much to aim for anyway, because you've already unlocked the most powerful abilities.

I do hope that the next DLCs will be a bit more creative.

Like I say in my review, everything about the DLC is awesome. There's just way too little of it to demand that price.

Erebus

Arcane
Finished the DLC again, this time siding with the necromancers. I also completed the Frankentroll quest.

I found the ultimate fight against Carmilla a bit too easy. Perhaps because I was rather lucky and rolled quite a few critical successes. Bringing Carmilla to 0HP took a while (despite my efforts, I never managed to bring her close enough to the braziers to use them against her), but only one of my PCs was KOed during the entire fight

The ultimate fight against the necromancers was a lot more touch-and-go, and that made it more entertaining.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Second DLC Splat Jaypak's Arenas is all about combat, releases on December 3 along with the game's next gen console release. Also third DLC Back to the Futon is teased.

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/11853-...-for-playstation-5-and-xbox-one-on-december-3

Publisher Dear Villagers and developer Artefacts Studio have announced that tactical RPG The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos will launch for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S on December 3. Additionally, the game's 2nd DLC - Splat Jaypak’s Arenas - will launch on the same day for all platforms.

The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet Of Chaos was released for PC in September 2020, followed by a launch on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch in June 2021. A third DLC is planned for the game, acting as a four-chapter sequel.

A trailer and description for DLC #2 Splat Jaypak's Arenas can be found below.

DLC Features
  • New Stuff: 15 heart-stopping battles, new tactics, and crazy strategies
  • Dream Team: Build your perfect party from among the 10 playable characters
  • Grow Strong: Upgrade your gear between battles and level up the central cast
  • Here We Go Again: Experience a wild new adventure in the arena

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom