Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Saravan

Savant
PTSD from DoS2 make everyone exaggerate the barrelmancy in BG3, but it's early access and anything can happen. Maybe Swen gets a hard on for over the top barrel spam once more, only time will tell but from the gameplay vids I have seen so far it appears to be a lot less than DoS.

Not gonna play early access to check it out for myself though because I personally find it utterly retarded to willingly pay to beta test a game for a developer and spoil in advance a singleplayer RPG.

Salvo

Arcane
PTSD from DoS2 make everyone exaggerate the barrelmancy in BG3, but it's early access and anything can happen. Maybe Swen gets a hard on for over the top barrel spam once more, only time will tell but from the gameplay vids I have seen so far it appears to be a lot less than DoS.

Not gonna play early access to check it out for myself though because I personally find it utterly retarded to willingly pay to beta test a game for a developer and spoil in advance a singleplayer RPG.
Barrelmancy and elemental effects were so over the top at EA release that even the diehard Larian redditors complained.

Saravan

Savant

Barrelmancy and elemental effects were so over the top at EA release that even the diehard Larian redditors complained.

Yes and then they reduced it by the time gameplay vids started showing up, don't see exactly how this changes anything I wrote.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Larian are obsessed with barrels and environmental effects because that's all they are creatively capable of coming up with, especially now that they're constrained by the 5e rules so there's no room for retarded armor systems.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I like those old timey Kung-Fu movie sounds.
Its missing the good parts.

I mean I could root for Bruce Lee. Who the fuck am I supposed to root for in that Druid vs Tiefling shit. They both look like dead-eyed merciless fucktards.

A world without good is as unrealistic as one without evil. GoT is as boring as that My Pony Furry shit or whatever and for the same reason.

Saravan

Savant
I like those old timey Kung-Fu movie sounds.
Its missing the good parts.

I mean I could root for Bruce Lee. Who the fuck am I supposed to root for in that Druid vs Tiefling shit. They both look like dead-eyed merciless fucktards.

A world without good is as unrealistic as one without evil. GoT is as boring as that My Pony Furry shit or whatever and for the same reason.

So many conclusions from a cutscene without context.

Desiderius

Patron

I'm concluding nothing. As with Lee I'm talking about the aesthetics. The eyes are the windows to the soul. There's nothing there. There is no evidence of good existing anywhere in that cutscene. A twinge of regret for the Druid? The Tiefling hoping for mercy? Thinking of home as he dies? These are just two animals doing what animals do. I can see that in my backyard - why do I need a game for that?

I've already purchased this game. If they want me to purchase the next they need to give me more than this garbage.

Desiderius

Patron
No, Saravan , your dilemma, and Larian's, is that I'm not retarded, far from it, and you have no answer to my observation but to question some life choices.

Larian's solution is relatively easy - add some narrative depth and more sympathetic characters.

Yours isn't.

Saravan

Savant

I'm concluding nothing. As with Lee I'm talking about the aesthetics. The eyes are the windows to the soul. There's nothing there. There is no evidence of good existing anywhere in that cutscene. A twinge of regret for the Druid? The Tiefling hoping for mercy? Thinking of home as he dies? These are just two animals doing what animals do. I can see that in my backyard - why do I need a game for that?

I've already purchased this game. If they want me to purchase the next they need to give me more than this garbage.

This is just beyond a retarded take when you got absolutely zero coverage of the events that lead up to that moment and I don't give a shit if you buy the game or not.

Salvo

Arcane
Larian are obsessed with barrels and environmental effects because that's all they are creatively capable of coming up with, especially now that they're constrained by the 5e rules so there's no room for retarded armor systems.
I think they've shown that they can be quite good at implementing reactivity for even minor stuff that few people would think of. Let's give Caesar his due.

At the same time, A LOT of their writing is obnoxious.

copebot

Learned
Gotta disagree about realistic architecture being boring. Thief 1 and Thief 2 are still playable in part because of the believable (albeit often fantastical) structures and room designs, in contrast to most video game "tunnel" level design. Thief has the benefit of the gameplay focusing in on skulking through a mixture of tombs and believable human structures, but it does really make it more immersive. The main good things about the Dishonored games is the architecture and level art. Same goes for nu Hitman and olde Hitman. Some kinds of RPG do not need realistic architecture, but the Larian design method does often sacrifice believability for the sake of not having loading screens or transition spaces.

I quite liked some of the BG3 areas in isolation, like the hill with the gnolls that goes into the cave, or the spider area where the spiders cheese you from the ceiling. What I didn't like was how they all fit together. That was a bad idea in the D:OS games and it's still a bad idea. It makes everything feel like it's Disney World.

Oberon

Learned

The way I look at it the Tiefling's mere existence is accursed, it's blood is tainted by literal metaphysical evil. Leaving it alive is at the very least allowing it the opportunity to spread it's curse. The fact that the people of Faerun don't lynch and burn those monstrosities at the stake upon first contact shows how strong the insidious grip of Hell has tightened around their hearts and minds.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Hahaha, so critical reviews don't count and player reviews also don't count... By those metrics we can use NOTHING to qualify a game.

Reviews from the 70% of people who didn't even get more than halfway through the game don't count. Reviews from the 89% of people who didn't even finish the game on easy mode. It's like they reviewed the game an hour in and then put it down a couple hours later because they got bored and decided to move on to something more interesting and everything else was always more interesting or more important than this shitfest. That tells you a lot more than any amount of reviews ever will. The only honest reviews are the people who left negative reviews after finishing the game or dropping it and the people who finished the game and were dazzled by the same gimmick over and over.

critical reviews
"Critics" like the ones on metacritic never mattered for anything but a marketing push.

Just stop digging a hole, your crying itt won't change the fact that DOS2 is the new standard for CRPG's. Anyway let's see how you and your codex buttbuddies on here will find new ways to cope.

It hasn't. If it were, there would be a lot of copies being released. But there aren't. There's only two games resembling DOS2. You know what they are? BG3 which is basically just a reskin of DOS2 and DOS1. DOS2 is overrated trash. BG3 is already overrated trash and it's not even out yet.
Such a massive case of:

:butthurt:

Harthwain

Magister
The way I look at it the Tiefling's mere existence is accursed, it's blood is tainted by literal metaphysical evil. Leaving it alive is at the very least allowing it the opportunity to spread it's curse.
Are Tieflings naturally evil or is it just the case of having bad enough luck to be born as one? I thought they are the case of "what if a Drow could be a good person" kind of thing (which is par for the course nowadays).

The fact that the people of Faerun don't lynch and burn those monstrosities at the stake upon first contact shows how strong the insidious grip of Hell has tightened around their hearts and minds.
Isn't Baldur's Gate 3 exactly about people trying to lynch Tieflings, because they are Tieflings?

Larianshill

Arbiter
Isn't Baldur's Gate 3 exactly about people trying to lynch Tieflings, because they are Tieflings?
It's actually about them being outsiders. They could have been humans, and the druids would still treat them the same way.
Kagha, the one behind the idea of exiling them, is auditioning for shadow druids, a bunch of hyperxenophobic ecoterrorists who hate civilization and wish to see it destroyed. I've thought everyone in this thread knew about it by now. Racism is just the surface layer of the conflict.

Saravan

Savant
It's actually about them being outsiders. They could have been humans, and the druids would still treat them the same way.
Kagha, the one behind the idea of exiling them, is auditioning for shadow druids, a bunch of hyperxenophobic ecoterrorists who hate civilization and wish to see it destroyed. I've thought everyone in this thread knew about it by now. Racism is just the surface layer of the conflict.

No but you see I locked my gay eyes with the eyes of the druid and tiefling in the cutscene and could immediately see that they are senselessly evil and lacked narrative depth.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
An inherently evil race is going to be a problem in current_year, so I doubt they (both Larian and WotC) are going with tieflings being metaphysically tainted by evil.

Oberon

Learned
An inherently evil race is going to be a problem in current_year, so I doubt they (both Larian and WotC) are going with tieflings being metaphysically tainted by evil.
I don't think looking at them as a proper "race" like for example the Drow is the right way to approach them. Racially they are humans, but they are tainted with the blood of Devils, which ARE a universal force of evil. Despite how any individual Tiefling chooses to behave they are still ultimately a way for Hell to defy universal law and gain a foothold on the prime material plane.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom