Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Edgy post-apocalyptic action-RPG Death Trash now available on Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Crafting Legends; Death Trash

Many of our readers will already be familiar with Death Trash, an upcoming isometric action-RPG set in a grotesque post-apocalyptic world that has been in development since 2015. Although we never posted about it on the front page (presumably because of the action part), when a demo of the game was made available for the first time on Steam Next Fest back in June, it made a pretty good impression on mainstream critics and some of our users. So now that it's out on Early Access, it's time to finally give Death Trash the vaunted Codex shoutout. Here's its Early Access trailer and FAQ:

Why Early Access?

Death Trash has already been in development for more than five years by a single developer. The game has, like other role-playing games, a certain complexity and interconnected systems and would benefit a lot from player feedback. Therefore we would like to include the community in improving this game.

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

We're planning to keep Death Trash in Early Access for about a year. But if it takes longer than that to make a game we're happy with, we'll take more time.

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
The final game will feature an open world with a handcrafted story campaign. Early Access will start with only the first "chapter" of that, then gradually add more story parts and locations, and keep the final part of the story for the official release. We'll probably also add more content to the existing locations over time, too, including items, characters and new quests.

Base gameplay features like combat, stealth, multiple choice dialogue, and crafting are implemented already, but we'll continue fine-tuning them, adding more gameplay options and improving their integration with the character stats system.

We plan to continue working on the game after the official 1.0 release, fixing bugs and improving usability.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

Although a lot of gameplay systems are implemented already, the story campaign is not fully included yet and the playable locations and quests only amount to a few hours of playtime. The existing systems might also have bugs, and lack options and progression.
The game features replayability through story and gameplay choices, but if "many hours of gameplay" is an important metric to you, you should wait until this game is finished.

The splitscreen co-op is implemented in the Early Access version as a very basic variant and will likely need a lot more feedback and design iterations.

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
The game will not be priced differently when leaving Early Access.

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
We are planning to improve all systems of the game through player feedback. These include ranged and melee combat, stealth, character builds through stats and abilities, crafting and more. We're open to story, quest and NPC suggestions too, but will naturally keep tighter control on that to keep a consistent tone.

Players will be able to tell us any kind of feedback and ideas through the Steam Forums, the official Death Trash Discord, Twitter, and Facebook. There's also a simple bug reporting tool in the game itself.​

The Death Trash Early Access build is available on Steam and GOG for $20, with a 10% launch discount until next week. As the FAQ states, the final release is planned for next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I played the demo a while ago. It was ok, but did not strike me as The Next Big Thing(TM) in indie RPGs. Seemed a bit shallow too.

Also, I am not sure where the Fallout comparisons are coming from. This is nothing like Fallout, except for the superficial "you leave the high-tech vault and roam the wasteland" post-apo trope.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
At least the bearded idiot who made it knows that his game is trash. Also the irony here is that he tries to be an edgy guy with an edgy game but in reality when an edgy criticism arrives he is super butthurt, he blocks people on twitter, including me.
In simple words, fuck this abomination.

Zeriel

Arcane
I played the demo a while ago. It was ok, but did not strike me as The Next Big Thing(TM) in indie RPGs. Seemed a bit shallow too.

Also, I am not sure where the Fallout comparisons are coming from. This is nothing like Fallout, except for the superficial "you leave the high-tech vault and roam the wasteland" post-apo trope.

All these indie pixel steam games are always a cool idea and art that never amounts to anything considerable in terms of a game. It's really disappointing the amount of wasted potential, but I guess producing something that looks cool enough to get people to buy EA and then never finish it is a better business model than actually developing a full game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wishlisted.

Despite the negative nancies here, I actually expect a somewhat decent game (once released) with some nice art and somewhat goofy edginess.
You don't get 90%+ rating (though we'll see how that goes long term, of course) for releasing a complete dumpster fire of a game.

What I wonder about more is how much RPG is actually in there. Different builds? Replayability? How stat-heavy? Etc.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You don't get 90%+ rating for releasing a complete dumpster fire of a game.

Nice criteria there hay eater. Retardation at it's finest.
Nah, man.

A game with such a good rating by lots of people almost assuredly achieved what it set out to do game design wise and is thus by definition a good game.
If one enjoys what a game set out to do, well that's a different question altogether.

At least the bearded idiot who made it knows that his game is trash. Also the irony here is that he tries to be an edgy guy with an edgy game but in reality when an edgy criticism arrives he is super butthurt, he blocks people on twitter, including me.
In simple words, fuck this abomination.
Hmmm, yes, truly odd that someone would block a person as likeable, as factual and as constructive in their criticism such as yourself.
I couldn't possibly fathom a reason for that.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Ok so i bought it, played for about an hour. I was tired so could not play more. Shows promise, it certainly piqued my interest.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
>roughly 5 hours of content

>6 years in development

>96% positive rating

So is this game really that good to justify an EA purchase at 5 hours?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
>roughly 5 hours of content

>6 years in development

>96% positive rating

So is this game really that good to justify an EA purchase at 5 hours?
try demo. Its... weird experience

Hmm, don't know what to think about it. Atmosphere is great, but combat is janky and kind of mindless. Stealth seems a bit OP so far.
exactly, very mixed bag of interesting stuff, half baked things or just weird things that you are unsure whether they work for you. Myself im just waiting for it to be ironed out so i can make up my mind

Dr Schultz

Augur
Wishlisted.

Despite the negative nancies here, I actually expect a somewhat decent game (once released) with some nice art and somewhat goofy edginess.
You don't get 90%+ rating (though we'll see how that goes long term, of course) for releasing a complete dumpster fire of a game.

What I wonder about more is how much RPG is actually in there. Different builds? Replayability? How stat-heavy? Etc.

IF the remaining 90% of the game is consequential to the demo, this gona be a masterpiece. But it's a huge if, considering the amount of development time needed for 5 hours of content.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Wishlisted.

IF the remaining 90% of the game is consequential to the demo, this gona be a masterpiece. But it's a huge if, considering the amount of development time needed for 5 hours of content.

IIRC, the dev said that the EA content is a third of the full game. So probably around 15 hours for the finished version.

Dr Schultz

Augur
Wishlisted.

IIRC, the dev said that the EA content is a third of the full game. So probably around 15 hours for the finished version.

Maybe there is hope, then

Gradenmayer

Learned

Cause every retard needs to compare every single rpg with fallout, like MMO fanboys compare everything with WoW.

Game was meh from what I played (bought EA yesterday), and felt more action than rpg (with action being meh). It's one of those games where only artists cared about their job, while writers and gameplay designers put in bare minimum of effort.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom