Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

vanilla doom/doom2 vs brutal doom

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sigard

Not Excidium

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Brutal Doom has some good gunplay but the problem, funnily enough, is the "brutal" stuff itself. It's like Soldier of Fortune where it just gets so tiresome after a while that you wish the German government would show up and censor all the enemies into robots so you don't have to watch people's legs fly off anymore. Alternates between being revolting and eye-rollingly tedious.

Always liked that you can grab Lost Souls out of the air and throw them at people though.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Brutal Doom would be fine if it just added gore effects instead of piling on unnecessary stuff. Don't even get me started on the rebalancing the developer did which screws up plenty of encounters in wads. I did find the Extermination Day mapset to be enjoyable enough.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brutal Doom is fun for about an hour and then gets very boring.

Vanilla Doom is timeless fun.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Vanilla obviously. Perfect balance, never gets old, played a million wads for years and it's still addicting as ever.

Brutal Doom is knewl for shits and giggles but that's about it.

Arryosha

Learned
I mainly like the faster pace of brutal doom for the original levels.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Smoothdoom is quite neat for a minimalist graphical overhaul. It adds some new animation frames and is fully compatible with most gore mods like nashs.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I like Brutal Doom a lot, but it's very different. I wouldn't take one over the other. I find it very interesting how Doom maps can easily compensate for slower and more methodical gameplay or newer, faster paced. Either way the levels just work.

Curratum

I have several modernization / beautifucation mods that I keep loaded on autoexec, but nothing even close to Brutal Doom.

I run just an old version of Smooth Doom for better / more detailed vanilla monster and prop sprite animations, one for sprite shadows on the ground, and the Tilt++ mod for Quake-like camera tilt when moving sideways, as well as a custom mod I ripped from some WAD that changes the imp's fireball to one that looks more like a fireball with subtle flame trails, but that's it.

ferratilis

Magister
The more I played Doom mods, the more I started to appreciate the restrained design of vanilla. It's simply perfect, if you add or remove anything it loses its luster. Brutal Doom adds too much, it messes with balance, it ruins the map design and sense of exploration. Yes, you can increase the number of monsters, tweak damage and such, but it's not the same game anymore. Just my two cents.

My choice for playing Doom nowadays is Crispy Doom without any additions, it's simply the best (I converted from GZDoom after someone here on Codex explained the differences).

Curratum

Ewwwch, don't inflict Crispy on yourself man, it's not worth it.

You're missing out on a lot of great total conversions if you don't keep a copy of GZD lying around. I mean, Ashes Afterglow is just around the corner...

I play mostly with Brutal Doom nowadays, but that's not to say there's anything wrong with vanilla. I just prefer better gore, punchier weapons and no hitscans. Though I do keep most of the optional stuff disabled and I went into mod files to do additional customization, like disabling most of new weapons except for the railgun or making Lost Souls closer to vanilla speed.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Why does anybody care so much abouy hitscan most wads have way too much health in them anyway who cares if there are cases you can't prevent damage. That's not even talking about how satisfying it is to hitscan them back with the chaingun.

fork

Why does anybody care so much abouy hitscan most wads have way too much health in them anyway who cares if there are cases you can't prevent damage. That's not even talking about how satisfying it is to hitscan them back with the chaingun.

Because people are faggots. Don't tell me you hadn't noticed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curratum

Hitscan, just like in Wolfenstein 3D, is a skill-based stun-lock minigame, and there's nothing wrong with it. If you have been playing Doom all those years and you STILL haven't learned how to stun-juggle large groups of hitscanners, I have bad news for you.

Alphons

Cipher
Both options in the poll are wrong- anyone who cares about the gameplay in DOOM uses HDOOM.

mogwaimon

Magister
where's the 'both are great fun and have their place' option? I prefer Brutal Doom nowadays because I like the gore and stuff but it's clearly not classic Doom, which is also amazing fun. and hell, you can still get some of the over the top gore/visual effects without Brutal Doom just by using Nash's gore mod so you can get the best of both worlds.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like Brutal Doom a lot, but it's very different. I wouldn't take one over the other. I find it very interesting how Doom maps can easily compensate for slower and more methodical gameplay or newer, faster paced. Either way the levels just work.

Same, I love them both. Brutal Doom's weapon rebalance is pretty good, everything does more damage and there's no hitscanners, everything is a projectile.

As a big hater of hitscan enemies, I like that :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom