Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler - now in Open Backer Beta

Mortmal

Arcane
This worth backing? I can't make my own decisions.

It's never worth backing, that for any game, you end up paying the same price , that if the game ever release . Wait no, you pay more as the game usually get heavily discounted not long after or on gamepass. The only good reason is if you like the guy and want to suppot him, prevent him to starve.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
As I said, Codex is declining and turning into Discord. This is fifth example today of moron who doesn't even read title of thread (further then three first words) let alone post above him, and getting familiar with what others have said on last few pages or what's state of the game is out of question and moron's mental league

People used to think before pressing [ENTER]

Mortmal

Arcane
Nope codex is turning exactly like reddit, go with the crowd or you get negative karma. I'll never go with the enthusiastic dumb crowd, kickstarters are most often just advertisement or barely some preorder ,most of the time the amounts does not cover anything,certainly not pay a team. In this rare case it may eventually pay a lone dev a year of expanses , it's charity or patronage .
But from the wallet point of view its never worth it , you are taking a risk , no guarantee it release , no guarantee it wont be a 4 hours game either. Nothing goes faster on sale on steam than a rpg.

Harthwain

Magister
It's never worth backing, that for any game, you end up paying the same price , that if the game ever release . Wait no, you pay more as the game usually get heavily discounted not long after or on gamepass. The only good reason is if you like the guy and want to suppot him, prevent him to starve.
Kickstarter is essentially an investment into something you find interesting. From that perspective it is worth backing (although it's still possible to fail, or end up being a scam), because it is your only direct way of supporting projects you want to see happening. The alternative is not backing them (and saving yourself some money), but you will never get anything worthwhile from that and will have to rely on whatever the industry wants to throw at you, so I would rather have Kickstater games as a possibility, even if we may end up being disappointed by the end result.

Nyast

Cipher
Kickstarter is, has always been, and should always be, considered as a donation. You're not pre-ordering a game, you're giving money to a developer to help him realize his dream. If you're not convinced by his abilities or the potential of his project, nobody forces you to pledge. It's not a "risk" if you're treating it as a donation, which it should be. If you're looking for the best bang for the buck, then yeah, just wait until the game's at a discount in a few years.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This is fifth example today of moron who doesn't even read title of thread (further then three first words) let alone post above him
NO. GRUG MUST POST NOW. GRUG NEED DOPAMINE HIT OF BROFIST JUST FOR UTTERING AN OPINION. GRUG MASH ENTER. OOGA BOOGA ZUG ZUG.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/3263784

500 Backers | About past Alpha Keys

Hi, dungeon-crawling fans!

I'm happy to announce that Monomyth now has over 500 (!) backers!

As always, I want to thank all of you for your great support! The next patch is almost ready and will be released very soon.

A quick note, for those who took part in last year's alpha test:

You may have received a Steam notification about the respective pre-release key being locked. You should now be able to start the demo correctly instead of loading the deprecated alpha build.

Best wishes,

Michael

garren

Arcane
Patron
Played around a little, just wanted to mention two issues I immediately noticed, sorry if this has been mentioned before. I'd really life a quick button for lighting or extinguishing a torch, I know you can ready it in your hands and switch the loadout but I prefer to put it in the inventory, a quick button to do that would make things smoother. Also, I tried making bread and noticed you can't drag&drop the dough into the fireplace ala Arx, would be a nice feature to be able to combine things in the world with drag&drop without the extra clicks.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally got around to trying out the demo, I was only able to play about an hour and I'll have to put a pause on it for the moment.

- Game already looks gud, no glaring issues or holes in the world etc. Everything seemed to work as advertised so far. I expected as much since I've been following the thread for a couple years now.
- My box with 2-3 year old parts on Win 10 ran it just fine. I didn't get very far though, maybe that changes further in.
- Combat seems decent, I second the people saying that hitboxes are a little misleading right now. I did enjoy having to crouch in order to whack slimes with my club :D
- Interactivity is good so far, I like the fact that it's pretty intuitive to figure out what's just props/toys and what's going to be important. Kept my inner packrat/item experimentation autist in check.

Most of my negative impressions have already been said by others:

- The motion sickness is real. RatTower please, for the love of God, turn off movement sway. This was the reason I had to stop playing, it was making me nauseous and giving me a headache. Never had this happen to me in a game before, it was super disorienting.
- I second whoever said the movement areas were unintuitive. I was surprised multiple times by not being able to move to places I thought I would be.
- I think this is a minor bug, but I may just not understand what's going on: in the courtyard area leading to the first shrine, there's a barrel that can be broken that holds one of those blue glowies that indicates an item to pick up. Only I can't interact with it and I can't move close to it (it seems like the barrel I broke is keeping me from doing so maybe?).
- The level up screen, and the process of levelling up itself, is a little weird. As I understand it, you buy stat points directly with your experience, which then allows you to click the level up button to get your skill points? I'd suggest giving the process an easier flow. Something like, Light up Level Up button > Click button to get both attribute and skill points. You could make clicking Level Up either give you all available points up to the maximum level you can attain at that point, or one click > one level.
If you want the process to stay as is, maybe one of those tutorial blurbs could pop up explaining what to do the first time you go to a shrine after getting enough experience for a level?

Anyways, I had fun. I've never been able to get into interactive 1st person RPGs (I was too dull-witted and uncoordinated to consistently cast spells in Arx Fatalis, for instance), but I could definitely see myself finishing this one. Backed.

xuerebx

Erudite
- The motion sickness is real. RatTower please, for the love of God, turn off movement sway. This was the reason I had to stop playing, it was making me nauseous and giving me a headache. Never had this happen to me in a game before, it was super disorienting.

Holy shit, I thought I was just tired or something!

Anyway, despite the motion sickness, I've backed too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/3268026

Demo Patch 1.03 (Rebindable controls, menu improvements, fixes, and more)

Hi, dungeon-crawling fans!

The latest version of the demo is now available on Steam, itch.io, and indieDB!

Here are the patch notes:
  • You can now rebind your controls (System -> Game Settings)
  • You can now skip the intro (Press Esc twice)
  • The character menu will now show descriptions for character attributes
  • The documents tab has been restructured and renamed to "Notes"
  • Documents now use a bigger font size and are easier to read
  • There is new a skill menu providing an overview of skills and your current character build
  • You can take all items from a container with the "Activate" button (Standard: F) and close containers with the "Inventory" button (Standard: Tab) or ESC
  • Increased the radius of "Magic Arrow" projectiles which should be easier to aim now
  • Slightly increased base movement speed
  • Post-processing options should work again (these are temporary "overall" settings)
  • Slightly increased the range of swords
  • Fixed the range on the "Wooden Club"
  • Equipment checks now work on the basis of equipment-adjusted attributes instead of raw character attributes
  • Toned down particles on "Divine Light" - also the particles should now correctly disappear after death
  • Fixed collision on bushes at the trader's gate.
  • Improved chimney collision
  • Accelerated horizontal mouse sensitivity to better match vertical sensitivity
  • Character names are now limited to 30 letters
  • Fixed a glitch that would let players escape the map and enter the serpent bastion's cellar/caves
  • Players should experience slight performance increases
  • Toned down the glitter on fireflies when AA is turned off.
  • You can no longer mantle through stairs
  • Minor fixes in spell descriptions and balance
  • Various invisible bug fixes
If you downloaded the demo on Steam it will automatically update. If you used the files from itch.io or indieDB you will have to re-download the data (you should be able to re-use your old characters though).

Best wishes and have fun!

Michael

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/3269359

Hotfix 1.03b | An unexpected treat

Hi dungeon-crawling fans!

A small bug found its way into the halls of Lysandria with the last patch. That is why I decided to release a little hotfix today. Here are the patch notes:
  • You should be able to play the entire harp again
  • Character attribute buffs/debuffs are now colored accordingly in the character menu
  • Requirements and damage on the broadsword are now properly balanced
  • Disabled inventory access during an attack
  • Parrying with swords and the dagger is now accompanied by the correct sound effect
  • Holding a torch in front of you (Standard: <Mouse 3>) should now consistently set inflammable objects (powder kegs, wall torches, etc) on fire.
As always, you can find the latest version on Steam, itch.io, and indieDB.

Also, after being pulled from GoG a few weeks ago, Ultima Underworld 1+2 are now available again!

Better yet, they are both free until the 3rd of September (as well as the first two Syndicate games by the way)! So, if you want to conveniently check out one of Monomyth's biggest inspirations, you can now do that! In case the game's controls are too archaic for you in their original form, there is also a Unity port (and plenty of excellent install guides for the same).

More updates to come!

Best wishes,

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

geno

Savant
This made me reinstall Arx Fatalis (I only played like half of the game back then on Xbox) and what an awesome game Arx is. Just the quest design puts the game on another league and most of other RPGs to shame.
Best of luck to Rattower but he's facing a beast. I get Monomyth tries to be its own thing and AF is just one of many influences but I feel like I l'll watch it under AF shadow. This said, I made my pledge because there are not enough games like this.

Thal

Prophet
This made me reinstall Arx Fatalis (I only played like half of the game back then on Xbox) and what an awesome game Arx is. Just the quest design puts the game on another league and most of other RPGs to shame.
Best of luck to Rattower but he's facing a beast. I get Monomyth tries to be its own thing and AF is just one of many influences but I feel like I l'll watch it under AF shadow. This said, I made my pledge because there are not enough games like this.

Now you made me install it.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The quick bug-fixing is quite impressive. This game is in good hands.

I've long since finished the demo but yeah it's very reassuring. He already has a largely working piece of software and is clearly able to iterate quickly on it.

The only thing that strikes fear into my heart are his stretch goals which just look absurdly ambitious for the money he's asking. But I work in business software where the costs are astronomical, largely because of the huge number of people involved. He only has one person and that is a benefit as well as a risk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom