Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommendable Civ4 Mods?

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
The best civ4 mods I know of are Sword of Islam (Plus) Edition and DuneWars Revival.
RFC Europe
was good too, and of course FFH2 and its many modmods.

I'm sure I've missed out on several good ones though. Can anyone recommend some?

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Tell me of this Sword of Islam Plus! Never heard of it. I think I can guess the theme, but what makes it good? Any new, interesting mechanics?

Vatnik
Caveman2Cosmos if you love autistic bloat
Tried it yesterday. My comp is 3.2 Ghz, 8GB RAM, and it still took five whole seconds just to open the civics screen. A tooltip for a normal leader trait went off the screen because it modified so many things. I researched some prehistoric 'tech' and then had four different food-themed citybuildings I could make, each giving +1 food. Oh, and the game speeds are Marathon, Snail, Eon, and Eternity. Terrible mod honestly.
:prosper:

Last edited:
Vatnik
Tell me of this Sword of Islam Plus! Never heard of it. I think I can guess the theme, but what makes it good? Any new, interesting mechanics?
It's one of the Rhye's and Fall spinoffs, covering the region from Constantinople to northwest India from 750-1650 AD. I wouldn't say that there's that many brand new features, but it looks and feels very polished. Has a lot of reworked/renamed resources,whole new roster of appropriate Wonders for that time/place (many of which are religion-specificalthough you just need the faith in the town building it not as state religion), semi-reworked building list, a division between melee and ranged cavalry, Mongol invasions, an (admittedly simplistic) Piety meter to go alongside Stability, and it has a bunch of 'corporations' that auto-spread to cities that have access to enough of the right resources, and meet other criteria -usually region and religion, such as the Knights Hospitaller for Christians in the Levant, the Genoese and Venetians (who seldom coexist for long), the Hashashim, Sufis, etc.
It's a fairly immersive experience, it has region-appropriate mercenaries for example. Oh and relics pop up sometimes (on city conquest usually) and you can move them to a city of your choice for some happiness and culture.

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Realism Invictus and Dune Wars Revival are the best, they also sport a decent AI which will challenge you on Monarch and upwards.

If you just want more of everything and don't want the mess that is C2C, get A New Dawn instead.

a new dawn has some serious balance and ai issues. more often than not several civs are left behind because they expand only up to a certain point and refuse to do anything else, also if you really suck at the game by year 1000 you have everything already.
at least that's been my experience years ago, i don't know if it's been improved since then, honestly doubt it.

while i'm here i'll add a question: in master of mana xtended (or maybe ffh2 too, i can't remember) pillaging doesn't remove the improvement on the map but disables it for some turns. do you know how to mod it in other mods too? there's nothing more annoying in civ4 than having to have spare workers scattered everywhere.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pretty much what The Brazilian Slaughter said. Caveman 2 Cosmos is what I always wanted Civ to be: every era feels like its own game, you get to spend a lot of time in each one and they all have a different feel to them. You're not just rushing from stone age to industrial age in one day of play and barely catch the flavor of each era on the way, it really is a massive game with lots of detailed shit in it.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
My own memories of C2C are bitter sweet, great mod but have never been able to finish a game of C2C despite trying several times over almost two decades on several different machines, because at some point the game just crashes no matter what. Think furthest i ever got is mid way nano age before ctd spam.

So don’t expect to play a full game or to ever see the cool late era stuff with space travel and other planets is my 2 cents.

panda

Savant
You need certain resources(production tile) to be inside city's work range for certain cultures IIRC. Maybe it is the case?

I'm giving this mod a run or two for every stable version they produce, but super passive AI kills the mood all the time. Prehistoric is ok with barbarians and animals, but once you build watch towers and cut barb's spawn it becomes snooze/buildfest. Maybe next version will be different? One of the main guys on their forum promises better AI for like 3 years already...

Kwota

Augur
Yeah, you need a resource either by trade or have it in worktile connected to the city where you wanna build culture.

Im running svn 10600 game since ~2019 and have a problem with space exploration. I'm currently bottlenecked by the bane of my game - this shit:

0DWGG4n.jpeg

I don't know how to make this fucking thing work and it's very much needed to leave the solar system and to build some cool shit on the terraformed planets that I already have, I have both the needed buildings and techs but can't build it either way.

Help anyone?

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Don't play C2C, it's such hot shit. I mean the AI is a total pushover, it needs massive boni to have a chance. It's just a LARP mod.

Realism Invictus 3.55 is a much more coherent and fun "Human History" mod. The AI will actually try to win and is totally able to declare war 40 turns into the game if you don't build a few units.

The Brazilian Slaughter Culture "buildings" have other prereqs like latitude or certain tiles. The Pedia should mention this.

Edit: Missed panda's post. C2C is such a waste of modding energy, still it's a wonder they made this pile of code run that well.
I can also heartily recommend DuneWars Revival. Great mod with a capable AI.

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
Stone Age really has its own mood, with hunting and all. Its a pity Civilization IV can't into dynamic maps, it would have been interesting if the Stone Age was going through an ice age.
It can do something like that though. There is an option in Fall from Heaven to start in a semi-iceage. Slow and the water ice are slowly disappearing during play.

Also, I have started playing PIE Ancient Europe. I never felt so immersive when playing a Civ mod before. Feels so polished and... historical. Love it.

oscar

Arcane
Realism Invictus if you want something good that the AI can actually play too.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'm trying to play Caveman2Cosmos and its seriously pissing me off. First the fucking animals keep spawning everywhere. I have to not only have a wall of units at my borders but also need sentries inside my borders to hunt the fuckers. This thing alone is making me hate the whole genre. Secondly, there's way too many techs and most of them do nothing. Just look at this shit
UyYLFRA.jpg
Thirdly, there are so many buildings that you can build that at some point you just let the AI do it. And 90% of these have no upkeep and just give you a tiny bonus. Dogshit! There's also 9000 resources, and again most of them are irrelevant. Like, you build a booger hut and you get one booger resource.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Use Spearmen and Chaser/Tracker/Hunter units to take care of those. Hunting is like free resources once you do it right. A small group of hunting and defense units is ideal, to take care of things like barbarian attacks. Honestly what you want is to subdue them in order to turn them into Myths, Stories, Governor's Pets, Army Mascots, etc. You can even use them to increase happiness and such, through to me that seems like something to do if you have too many subdued animals.
Look, I already have all the myths and now I just want to be left alone and not have enemy units spawning inside of my borders. Its driving me crazy. I have started burning down all the forests and jungles but they keep on spawning.

Yeah the techs enable certain things but most of the time nothing important.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Umm.
Hammers > everything else. Rush Hunting techs to enable the better hunter units. then build them and if you are totally lazy, set on automate hunting, though sometimes you need to manually move them in a certain region to get better results. Inspect when buildings become obsolete, you can skip alot of the early crappy food buildings for example.
Hunting will take care of science (myths).
Try to get Neanderthal culture by running slavery or whatever the civic enabling capturing is called, you can build neanderthal units then for +1 str, which is huge.
Create a building plan for new cities (like all good prod buildings, essential other stuff etc) then hover over building part and save with ctrl + number. Load by hovering and press #. You can also select more than one city in the nat overview window and apply the building plan to the selected ones.
Use the free buildings/effects from civil units (bard,healer,enforcer etc). In fact don't build only a few units as some suggest, you have so much money and the unit limits are so generous that unit building is almost always better than +1 food or whatever (once you have the essential infrasctucure up).

PS: Oh and if animals are annyoing you, there is a starting option to disable spawning inside borders.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom