Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your ONE favorite video game of all time?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No top 5, no top 3, no favorite series. Pick ONE title that you love the best, by whatever criteria are important to you. Feel free to explain why it's your #1.

For the purposes of this thread, a "video game" is any game in which all visual feedback is transmitted to the player(s) via video display device, such as a TV or monitor. Thus, Mattel Classic Football counts as an (extremely low resolution) video game, but Avengers: Infinity Quest Pinball does not, despite the inclusion of a video screen which gives some visual feedback.

Curratum

This is a really difficult question to answer, even though I have my thoughts on it.

If I was asked what game I'd pick if I only have to play that game until the day I die and NOTHING ELSE, ever, I'd probably pick something that is multiplayer (duh!), so you can have endless iterations on something you generally enjoy, like Counter Strike GO maybe - something that is always densely populated and has a nearly unreachable skill ceiling and room for improvement over YEARS of play.

But that doesn't mean it's my ONE favorite video game. For that, I may have to flip a coin to pick between Doom 2 and Thief 2, assuming we factor in all the custom content for both of those.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
AO9RfGo.png

1JrxVeh.png

CPFIZmJ.png

SqR2DVC.png

eLGnail.png

6VmM8ik.png

Lemmings (1991) for the Commodore Amiga

Beans00

Augur
Fallout 1, maybe Fallout 2 depending on the day.

Offers by far the most player freedom in regards to completing objectives with the exception of Arcanum(which is in my top 5 but too flawed to be #1).

Mark Richard

Arcane
Stonekeep. It gave me a lot of firsts – the first time I recall refusing to do something in a computer game because it was too scary (open the sarcophagus), the first time a girl gave me funny feelings (Ice Queen), the first time I played a dungeon crawler with fully voiced companions, and the first time I followed a baking recipe. It was Tim Cain's chocolate chip pumpkin muffins from the credits. Guess the banana bread recipe's inclusion in the Arcanum manual was also his doing.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Quake 1

I haven't played it much recently, but there was a time around 8-10 years ago when my morning procedure included doing a quick run of the first episode while drinking my morning coffee before leaving for work :-P

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
My opinion on this would have previously been Doom 2, because with custom content, you get a lot of mileage out of it.
But these days I think I would say Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. While it has less custom content, modifying the game yourself is considerably easier. Despite being a sandbox roguelike set in a zombie apocalypse, you can customize it in a lot of different ways. So if instead of a zombie apocalypse I want to be in endless wilderness, an empty world, an alien invasion, or even a Them! style apocalypse it could be done. Either by tinkering around or modifying the game to allow my stupid idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom