Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about shadowbane

Chuftie

Augur
So they got that server emulator going.

Anybody remember this game at all?
I remember just reading the fluff for it and wondering why the hell did they bother coming up with this considering it was pure PvP with no storyline backing it

Hobo Elf

Arcane
PvE was tedious and banal, but thankfully you could level up fairly fast if you knew where to grind.
PvP was lame because niggas only raided villages at night when the opposing team was sleeping so there was no way to defend their territory.
Also, some of the guilds I joined were hilariously paranoid about opposing guild spies joining their guild, so they'd ask you a ton of questions before letting you join. Of course if you really were a spy then there was no way you could fail the questions since they all amounted to "are you a spy yes / no?".

It wasn't a very graceful game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Chuftie said:
But it had heart.

This has got to be the biggest loser argument ever right after "But it has potential".

The game did not have heart. It felt shallow and empty, because it was shallow and empty. The game world was too sandboxy for its own good. You could go through large patches of land with nothing in it. No mobs, no houses, nothing. Just empty space. It could've been better with a bigger player base, but the game wasn't made to last right from the very foundations.
UO and DAoC were much better MMOs with better PvP, and UO had a whole slew of other content for the players to engage as well.

DarkSign

Erudite
I thoroughly loved this game.

I was playing EQ at the time and a guy in our small guild (7 guys) said he would let me borrow his beta account. I was hooked on the pvp from the start.

For the naysayers...yes it had a TON of programming glitches...but that turned out being part of the fun! We had the largest city seige on our server (crap the server name escapes me now)...and it was 200+ vs 175+ man we had a GREAT time. People would crash out...then have to log back in...but it was STILL fun.

The MMO I designed and presented to Atari had many of the game mechanics of SB. I'll always love it.

Where's this emu server?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was looking for the original sound tracks on this and there was little on youtube or related sites. Then I spotted THIS

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Shadowbane was one of my best MMORPG experiences. I was co-guildmaster of a guild called The Tribunal on the Mourning server (RP-PvP). Played a Confessor, probably my all-time favorite class of any MMO.

Magitex

Educated
I also played as a Confessor, it was true cheese.. the unlimited life to mana tapping and vice versa. Shadowbane struck me as a game with some of the most impressive combat balance out of any RPG or MMO. You could always build a character that would be really effective against 90% of your enemies, but there was always one or two builds out there that would counter your playstyle and character. I don't think I've played anything else with such an amazing diversity of balanced pvp/rpg mechanics. It's too bad it was probably one of the worst looking games ever, although for some reason I remember it fondly anyway..

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
All I want is Shadowbane with Everquest level PvE and first person view instead of the shitty click to move around stuff. I ran the 11th Hour guild on the Fear server. We got crushed by Ebonlore relatively early on but I still had a blast. It's the only MMO other than EQ that I enjoyed enough to play for more than a couple of months. I had so much fun playing a thief and pickpocketing random people near banks and then hiding before anyone could figure out who did it. Stalking people who were farming and then backstabbing them as soon as they sat down and went afk was a ton of fun too.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
After a long time without logging it, I nstalled the game again, wanting to re play since the beggining. Now sadly seems like my lv 50 vampire necro was deleted but not that bad. So I created an char and ... Why the map is so different? And where I can find an necro trainer?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
There is still a server?
Shadowbane
Honestly, the only thing I even remotely remember is the box:
Someone loved minotaurs
3895368-shadowbane-windows-front-cover.jpg

Ah look... <.< .....>.> ..... ubisoft. -.-!

Soooooo...

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, there still a server. And I found how to train by going into a guild city and training there. Played as an on life today, reached lv 31 and got necromancy to 91.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I started again as human wizard and OMG. My pet familiar is extermely OP. Able to solo multiple "red" enemies at lv 10+ higher than me.

deama

Prophet
What's the server for it? Or is there ONLY 1 server?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There are private servers and the official game in steam has only one server which is full of Chinese.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
qL5dJj6.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom