Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Management / Sim Carrier Command 2

agris

Arcane
Patron
Infinitron Can you tag Microprose in the title / first post so people can find this easily? It's the only one of their new strategy games that doesn't come up when you search a title for Microprose. Maybe add it as a tag as well?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Love it. Not sure a company that makes smart games can survive in such a degenerate world, but I guess we'll find out.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Came out today! If one of you plays it, please give some impressions. The usual suspects claim it's too hard, which means it may be good.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Damn RPS reviewer starts by talking about how it doesn't quite deliver but then admits she couldn't fly the planes or anything. Could use a review by an actual gamer, preferably a guy. All this makes me want to buy it just to spite this jackass world of phony dipshits.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Damn RPS reviewer starts by talking about how it doesn't quite deliver but then admits she couldn't fly the planes or anything. Could use a review by an actual gamer, preferably a guy. All this makes me want to buy it just to spite this jackass world of phony dipshits.
Your 1st mistake was still reading RPS during Current Year +6 (or is it 7).

agris

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately, the price is too high for this game. I say this as someone who can easily afford it, but is worried about the success of the devs. It should be $20-25 USD max.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Need suggestions! Everywhere I tried is bad.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Need suggestions! Everywhere I tried is bad.
https://tallyhocorner.com
Pretty much only game journalist that I still bother to read.
No idea if he's going to review Carrier Command 2 anytime soon.

agris

Arcane
Patron
anvi I don't think I've ever suggested a youtuber, I even detest writing the noun "youtuber", but I have found this guy pretty good at strategy / tactics sims: https://www.youtube.com/c/SubBrief/videos

He's a retired US Navy radar operator, worked on submarines. I found him through his coverage of HighFleet. He hasn't done a video on carrier command 2 yet, but Stay Tuned(TM).

its hard to imagine a chick understanding or 'getting' this game unless she had worked on a destroyer or in a AWAC or something..not trying to be a dick, its just not something women tend to be into at all, this game is very abstract.

anvi I don't think I've ever suggested a youtuber, I even detest writing the noun "youtuber", but I have found this guy pretty good at strategy / tactics sims: https://www.youtube.com/c/SubBrief/videos

He's a retired US Navy radar operator, worked on submarines. I found him through his coverage of HighFleet. He hasn't done a video on carrier command 2 yet, but Stay Tuned(TM).
sweet, I have never seen that guy, he is actually interesting to listen to.

Stone Dog

Novice
I've finished the tutorial, so it's just an early impression, but the pathfinding seems very bad.
To make a turn, ground units will reach the waypoint, stop while turning, then start up again. The pathfinding also has difficulties with even slightly uneven terrain.
As for air units, the only time I've tried to use them, they went round and round their targets without firing a missile, and I had to recall them before they ran out of fuel.

Everything else plays pretty cool, but bad pathfinding it's like the only sin these type of games shouldn't commmit.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Can you take control of a plane or something OP for an hour or so and kick all the enemy AI ass? Pretty sure that Gaeas Mission game was me mostly flying around clearing an island by myself and then I just drove a tank in to capture or something.

Stone Dog

Novice
There's AA turrets you (and the AI, I assume) can mount on your ground vehicles, and I think the plane/helo missiles are guided, so I dunno about that.

You can take control of your carrier gun and blast everything to pieces, though. The enemy ground vehicles didn't seem concerned about breaking the carrier's line of sight on them.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Never played Carrier Command I or II but I remember a slightly similar SF game years ago from Microsoft where you commanded a decent selection of ground vehicles and could take command in 1st person view of any one of them at any time. I think it was called Ground Control II. That's a common feature these days but back then it felt like quite a novelty.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Never played Carrier Command I or II but I remember a slightly similar SF game years ago from Microsoft where you commanded a decent selection of ground vehicles and could take command in 1st person view of any one of them at any time. I think it was called Ground Control II. That's a common feature these days but back then it felt like quite a novelty.

Are you quite sure you meant Ground Control II and not Battlezone and Battlezone II? I don't remember any 1st person mode in GCII, but BZ certainly had one.

wrong. ground control was "standard" rts. what you're referring to might be "hostile waters".

not a masterpiece but truly worth of being fondly remembered.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Are you quite sure you meant Ground Control II and not Battlezone and Battlezone II? I don't remember any 1st person mode in GCII, but BZ certainly had one.

Yeah, probably Battlezone II judging by the screen shots I just took a look at. I actually found it quite awesome at the time but intense real-time strategy where you eventually get overrun as the game progresses if you don't have a knack for these things got me in the end. I remember this huge nuclear explosion in the game and enjoying it's mushroom cloud from afar but it wasn't long after that that the game overwhelmed me so I never finished it. For some reason I thought it was published by Microsoft but it could have just as well been Activision.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
My concern is that I could basically make any of these games within Arma 3, and it would be better in terms of tanks, choppers, planes, weapons, AI, pathfinding, UI, graphics, etc..etc. It wouldn't be much fun without the framework though, the feeling of progression etc. But it bothers me that the actual mechanics are already here and good and have been for decades.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom