Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Monomyth now on Kickstarter

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Also, I can kill most enemies by just going backwards and doing the stab move. They will either miss me or I will just stunlock them with the stab move.

Maybe stunning could percentage-based and influenced by stats. So if you use a strength weapon, the higher the strength, the higher the stun chance...or I don't know.

As for magic, maybe instead of mana you can memorize spells and can only use them a few times until you find the next shrine. Mushrooms weren't too hard to find.

Balancing needs tweaking, that's for sure but it has a lot of potential..

Dyskolos

Cipher
RatTower - a purely luxury request to consider - having the option to switch your character's lead hand from right to left. Probably not worth it if you can't dummy it with mirroring but I'm left-handed and having a forced right-handed character in first person always fucks with my perception more than it should, especially with melee.

Dr Schultz

Augur
That's a very different kind of game though. I don't think copying that mechanic adds much here.

I agree. Enemies do not appear to respawn (and I think that's a good thing), which makes having to run back to where ever you were tedious (especially given the size of the environments). A run from point A to point B in Dark Souls is like a brawler / platformer level; a sequence of challenges that can be mastered through repetition and can provide interesting situations even after multiple attempts.

Monomyth so far seems much more about exploration and continuous progress, conquering the environment over time. Dark Souls is good at being Dark Souls, and there are plenty of them. Monomyth is carrying the touch for a much less represented class of game.

Let me say that it needs to be like Dark Souls then. It would be a good fit for this type of game and it solves several problems, like it makes difficulty settings unnecessary, prevents save scumming, punishes death, but is motivating because in order to recover your xp, you'll probably have to beat a couple of enemies again, just to name a few.
It's the perfect fit for a game like this.

I've seen the death mechanic of Demon's/Dark Souls successfully applied to games that aren't proper Soul-likes; Hollow Knight for instance, the best Metroidvania ever made if you ask me and a pitch perfect designed game in general.
Having said that, I doubt that the “retrieve your lost xp“ part of said mechanic would work here. What I'm sure of is that shrines as check points are better than free saves.

Last edited:

Andhaira

Arcane
RatTower Enjoying the demo. Engine needs major optimization though, framerate is chugging and game freezes for a split second sometimes whenever I enter or turn in a large area; my old rig should be easily able to handle this game so...

Spells need more work. Magic Arrow is hella hard to aim. Perhaps the lock-on function should be tied to arcane affinity stat or something.

I am SO tired of starting characters in RPGs starting with nothing but their pantloons, and only a bare minimum of stats. Our PC has had a lifetime of experience to train and learn; he/she should have a much larger pool of points available at char gen to generate the character. Then you can do incremental points at level up. But let us start out strong and capable in our field(s) (For instance, a warrior-mage type should be good in swords and a magic school from the get go)
So please be much less stingy with points in char-gen in the full game.

Please have regular save system in full game. None of this altar crap. You can keep it as an option for Rogue-Like mode or whatever.

Will add to the above as I play more, but great fun game. Looking forward to the full release and seriously considering backing the Kickstarter in a few days time (just recently backed a tabletop RPG so will have to wait a few days until I pay my CC bill)

Curratum

I thought I'd try the demo and see if I want to back this, but the demo has so much motion blur every time you turn the camera, I couldn't play at all. Is there a way to disable this? I didn't see it in the settings...

JDR13

Arcane
RatTower Enjoying the demo. Engine needs major optimization though, framerate is chugging and game freezes for a split second sometimes whenever I enter or turn in a large area; my old rig should be easily able to handle this game so...

It runs completely smooth for me, and my system isn't a powerhouse by today's standard.

*Edit* I love that some fucking moron rated that fake news. As if I'm going to lie about how the game runs on my rig. :roll:

Last edited:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
All funds raised in the Codex Monomyth fundraiser will be sent to the Monomyth Kickstarter, the last day before it closes.

And thanks to RatTower, everyone who donates $20 USD or more to the Codex fundraiser will get a digital key for the game.

Curratum

Tried the demo for about 20 minutes. Not enthused enough to back this, sadly. Best of luck with development, maybe it will be more inspiring at release.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
All funds raised in the Codex Monomyth fundraiser will be sent to the Monomyth Kickstarter, the last day before it closes.

And thanks to RatTower, everyone who donates $20 USD or more to the Codex fundraiser will get a digital key for the game.

Good to know.. was waiting to find out about this.

but on kickstarter you get it with 15$? (((Who))) is packing 5$ diff in here?

it's 15 euro which is about $18.... plus codex donations usually have fees taken out so if anything it's like a dollar more at most..

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
but on kickstarter you get it with 15$? (((Who))) is packing 5$ diff in here?
PayPal.

Also, all those who donate will be able to contribute to whatever God awful quest idea we come up with, before we throw those ideas out and go with prosperian monsters.

Zeriel

Arcane
Looks pretty much exactly like Bard's Tale IV (which was kind of crap), but without turn-based combat.

To be fair, the problem with Bard's Tale wasn't its graphics, it was its design. Even realtime combat could have been fine if the character system hadn't been retarded.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally tried the demo.. Overall it was pretty impressive for an alpha, though obviously very rough around the edges. Not sure about the stamina system tbqh.

One thing I can say w/ certainty is that I absolutely HATE the "zoom" effect when you are sprinting. I hate it in every game that uses it so it's not particular to this.

belated

Augur
Is the firestone & steel supposed to be a single usage item? I assumed it was permanent.

Edit: Nevermind, found more of them so it's intended.

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
As long as this game doesn't end up having kickstarter exclusive backpack DLC like Underworld Ascendant then i'll D1P. Do not disappoint.

Udaller

Literate
That crouch isn't bound to 'c' already proofs the dev is a man of kulchur and makes this a worthwhile game to look forward to.
I must also add that I didn't get motion sick, in fact I barely noticed the motion blur and the game ran very smooth on my machine

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
does the codex fundraiser have to reach its goal of 2k for this to be valid? I'll probably put up some ciZash in a week or so

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom