Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

best game in doom franchise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lemming42

Arcane
Doom 1, though Doom 2's new enemy types are great.

Episode 1 of Doom is fantastic throughout, the level design sort of drops off a little in E2 and E3, but whatever. The overall quality level is still pretty high even with the shit maps here and there.

Doom 2's maps are all over the place quality-wise and there's too many gimmicky ones, which are fun but ultimately feel like a waste of a level slot.

Couldn't care any less about the newer ones. Doom 3 never did it for me, and I've played it again and again as the popular opinion towards it has become kinder, but it just doesn't click. Doom 2016 and Eternal are sort of crap. Arena shooters that miss the point of Doom entirely. Feels more like Serious Sam half the time.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Only played Doom1 and it was fantastic so I vote Doom1 dammit.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I think if you go by quality and counting only the Build Engine ones, 64 technically is the peak.

As someone who only recently played Doom 3 I have to say it's not a bad game, just not a good Doom game. It even managed to startle me a few times. The shooting is awful though.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I readily admit I'm no Boomer shooter person. I merely judge by what my limited experience provides.

mogwaimon

Magister
it's not that, kek. Build is Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood...Doom wasn't made with Build. I think Doom 64 can be a fine time, I remember owning it as a kid and while it didn't quite scratch the itch that the originals would later provide once I got a PC of my own it wasn't terrible in the slightest.

Doom 64 is definitely the best looking of those original Doom games. New higher quality model scans for sprites, better looking environments, and some nice new lighting for it all. As far as which one is the best? Those '90s Doom games kind of all blend together for me, outside of some Doom 1 stuff since that's the one I played the most.

Pound Meat

Prophet
only one worth playing is 3
Indeed. Doom 3 on the Xbox is perfection. The first two were designed for people who fought in The Great War, and the two recent ones aren't FPS at all but spiritual sequels to 2009 Bionic Commando with all the zipping around.

Ash

Arcane
Doom 2 or Doom 64.

Should probably be Doom 1 in reality, but I played it a bit much by this point and every time I miss the super shotgun and additional enemies. I've also no issue with Doom 2 level design. Every level is still good regardless of anything, and a gimmick here and there doesn't hurt for varieties' sake as long as not overdone, which it isn't. Doom 64 also has very solid level design.

Are the two posters above me trolling or what? D3 is the worst in the whole series, even worse than the bland and derivative Doom 2016. Truly was the beginning of the decline.

Not voting until D64 is in the poll. Way better than D3 and 2016.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
DOOM was fun back in the day but I always ended up playing it on a small section of my screen because it chugged on my 386DX and I never played D2.

I went for 2016 because Doom 3 was literally just cramped corridors with an engine only capable of having a few enemies on screen at once and Eternal was ruined by retarded jumping puzzles and combat arenas designed for masochists (I'm not against tough combat but having to scoot around an arena chainsawing plebs and occasionally managing to get a shot off at an actual enemy wasn't that fun especially when you had to repeat it multiple times after the inevitable deaths).

fork

1/2; they're the same game in my book.
64 is pretty great as well.
Original Doom3 and RoE are ok, great by today's standards.
NuDooms are total shit for retards.

Luzur

Good Sir

i dunno, they are doing real wild things with Brutal Doom

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom