Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

you favorite part of vanilla doom?

• 320x200 pixels gfx

• auto-aim

• no mouse look

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ash

Arcane
Wow a graphics whoring thread. Send it to retardoland where it belongs.

Mustawd

Yes, if someone doesn’t get the appeal of retro graphics then that’s on them. To argue modern games automatically look better because of their fidelity and resolution is to completely miss the point of why retro graphics are attractive in the first place.

jackofshadows

Magister
The graphics are fine, it's what it is, just like with any other genre. I'm rather annoyed by modded graphics instead where you have high resolution, proper angels, even lighning... and the good old sprites (or upscaled which isn't better at all).

The gameplay and the controls though is another matter. Reading stuff here like "fps genre is dead, Doom/Quake/Wolf3d/... is still the best" is mindblowing.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't care about Doom's graphics. I play it for the gameplay.

I don't care that modern sourceports with perfect mouselook and other features aren't the original experience. It's fun to play that way, and the level design, weapons and enemies (which is the core of the game and not changed by sourceports at all) still hold up to this day.

If all you improve is the interface and control scheme, but all the content stays the same, and the game is fun to play, that means the original game is good.
Simple as.

Falksi

Arcane
sigard you've a gift.

I've never before almost fell asleep simply looking at a post before actually reading it, but you're having this affect on me daily.

Harness that power and use it to get a job.

man old games really looks good on CRT monitors, reminds me of this:

gc0vsn8zqky11.jpg

Beans00

Augur
I don't think people praise the graphics, they praise the art direction/style.
Realistically how good do you expect a game from 1993 to look. It was impressive back then.

Best part of doom will always be the soundtrack though.

Zlaja

Arcane
The fuck do you need mouselook for in original Doom? That's like asking for fine silver at MCDonalds.

ferratilis

Magister
People will still be playing and discovering Doom 50 years from now, and falling in love with it, and the community will never die. Metro Exodus will be forgotten as soon as the next game with raytraced expanding horse testicles comes out. It will age like milk. It's not only about the graphics, you dimwit, it's how everything meshes together to create a fun and rewarding shooting and exploration experience. But I can understand how that would fly over your head, seeing how you bring up Metro Exodus as an argument.

Anyway, you got the wrong door dude. This is the Codex. Resetera is two doors down, by the sewer.

Lemming42

Arcane
gzdoom is the way, just disable jumping, crouching* and freelook (looking up and down, whatever they call it), and turn off the optional """enhanced""" graphical features like the dynamic lighting. Not out of a weird aversion to anything "modern", but rather just because it doesn't look right having more modern lighting effects alongside pixelly 1993 graphics. Basically make it the original game but things more than a centimeter away from the player's face are visible and not a pixel-vomit mess.

*these have to be disabled because it breaks some levels by letting you jump or crawl your way past locked doors

Ash

Arcane
Fuck that. I keep jump and crouch enabled for greater tactical options in combat, and just don't use them in level-breaking ways. Accidentally entering a no-go zone = crouch/jump back through else reload game.

And yes, GZDoom appears to be the best of the homebrew engines.

Curratum

I hadn't even bothered to read the retarded post that followed the retarded poll, but damn, OP, you're a fucking retard...

Trithne

Erudite
man old games really looks good on CRT monitors, reminds me of this:

gc0vsn8zqky11.jpg

Modern games look good on them too, and you can run at a lower resolution when you do so for better performance.

Just another case of technically better not necessarily better better in practice.

doom was a cultural phenomenon

i remember when it was shareware and before 'can it run crysis' it was 'can it (1) store the Doom file size and (2) can it run Doom'

there was nothing like it then and theres nothing like it now

the graphics are a legit feature and part of the appeal

edit: cant remember if it was doom or wolf3d that was shareware anyhoo other points stand

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom