Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ambermoon rewrite (and unofficial expansion)

newtmonkey

Arcane
I gave it a try and it runs really well, but the music seems to be in mono? Is that a known issue? The music is definitely in stereo on an Amiga.

Tombo

Novice
First off, I'm really enjoying the game. Kudos to the guys who ported it. I'm enjoying the pseudo-tactical-blobber battle system and the questing is open-ended enough to make me use my brain a little.

On the note of the battle system, has anyone encountered a bug where your characters seemingly randomly stop being able to move mid-battle? When attempting to move any character, and message pops up saying something like "There is no space that your character can move to" even when 7 of 8 adjacent tiles are available. And it seems to affect every character.

I've mostly (perhaps exclusively) encountered this against bandits, and I am pretty early in the game, so I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature that I don't currently understand. Regardless, when it strikes, I don't seem to have any negative conditions on the characters, and the enemies seem to stop moving as well. Given my party's lack of ranged options, the bandits and I basically just chill indefinitely until I give up and reload.

Krivol

Magister
Well, there are few bugs (sometimes game is not responding for keyboard nor RMB, but after a minute or two it works ok, and had some crashes when got too many items/weight or tried to put arrows to left hand while using 2h weapon).

What you are describing - well, remember that your characters can't move further than the 2nd row of the battlefield and CAN'T pass other characters nor spaces where another character is going to move, so maybe this is a problem. Other than that I have never seemed a movement bug in this game.

Tombo

Novice
Thanks for the input, really helped me figure out what might be going wrong.

For those curious, here's my best guess at the issue: I believe Krivol is correct in that you are not intended to be able to "move further than the 2nd row of the battlefield", supported by the fact that selecting "move" will only highlight squares in the first two rows as possibilities. However, at least in the version I downloaded from github, there doesn't seem to be anything preventing you from clicking on and moving into adjacent squares in the 3rd+ rows that are not highlighted, at least until code-karma catches up to you and prevents all further movement.

While the model I've outlined above could certainly be wrong, I haven't had any more issues since I've restricted my movements to the highlighted first two rows, and advanced to subsequent rows using the "advance" command.

Thanks again for the help.

On a game design note, I haven't quite made up my mind whether I find the "free movement around the grid" approach I'd been incorrectly using or the intended "clear the entire row before advancing" ruleset to be more tactically interesting. Regardless, I haven't seen the latter system before, and am at least currently enjoying it as a novel little twist.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Is this legal? What are the odds of this getting pulled at some point?
Thalion went out of business in 1994, and if no-one acquired the rights to their intellectual property, then this clone of Ambermoon would be in a similar position to the Return to Chaos clone of Dungeon Master / Chaos Strikes Back; since no entity exists to assert control of the rights, it isn't illegal to distribute a clone for free. +M
WOW Thanks for this. I didn't know that this even existed. I always was unsuccessful to run DM on emulators. Now i'm very happy!!!

Tomas

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
If anyone does English let’s play please share. I’d check it out, I have played Albion in the past and really enjoyed it (I think the only thing stopped me from finishing it was a bug near the end).

Krivol

Magister
I found a bug (?) - sometimes I can't put stuff into a chest (even if it's empty), sell items nor drop item - it looks like icon "4" (look at numeric keys) is bugged or something.

Naraya

Arcane
Coincidentally I've been playing Lionheart, which is a technical and artistical masterpiece.

Have you seen this? The 1.0 version was released a bit more than a month ago and it even has a mobile port.

https://www.b3dgs.com/v7/page.php?lang=en&section=lionheart_remake

source/wiki: https://github.com/b3dgs/lionheart-remake

c8LL3Cy.png

index.php

Arcane
https://www.indieretronews.com/2021/08/ambermoonnet-open-source-remake-of.html
Ambermoon.net - Open source remake of a fantastic CRPG gets a brand new 1.0 release! (Hints of an Advanced Mod too!)

As we said before in November of last year....Originally released in 1993 for the Amiga by Thalion Software, Ambermoon was the second part of an unfinished trilogy and sequel to Amberstar that was only released in Germany. In was an incredible RPG for its time, and featured 3D graphics that were considered revolutionary for the Amiga, but sadly for the company it couldn't save them from collapse.

Today's news is yet another good 'un for fans of this great Dungeon Crawling/CRPG. As thanks to Pyrdacor letting us know once more through the EAB forums. He has said that if you head on over to the github website linked below, you can try out the latest version 1.0 release of the open-source remake of Ambermoon; an open source version of that classic game which aims to bring this awesome Amiga RPG to many other platforms including Linux, Mac, Pi4 and Windows. (Also includes updated files to the original Amiga systems too!)

Do note however even though the game is still in a development stage by Pyrdacor, and many people such as Metallic, Hexaae, Maynef who have been diagnosing and fixing bugs in the Amiga version. This latest version is pretty close to the original, while still featuring lots of improvements such as the 3D areas, better performance in some areas, lots of bug fixes, text improvements, and more listed on the github website. So yes if you want to play to play the game today, not only are there standalone versions available such as windows, but there are also updates for the original Amiga version as well.

HOT NEWS from Pyrdacor

"Today I started to implement a 2D Map Editor for Ambermoon, but my next project is an Ambermoon Advanced mod for Ambermoon. It will be also playable on Amiga. It will add new content like places, quests, NPCs and so on. And it will balance the game and improve the experience all together (hopefully)".

Links :1) EAB 2) GitHub (Scroll down for Standalone) 3)Amiga Updates 4) Website

index.php

Arcane
Release v1.1.0
First patch update. It brings a lot of fixes and also includes the most recent original version (1.09 german and 1.10 english).

• Music is now correctly turned on when it is enabled in options
  • Eagle now allows movement when overweight
  • Fixed some issues with two-handed weapons
  • When loading a game on a broom or eagle, no map events will be triggered
  • Fixed teleport cheat for world maps
  • Fixed a crash related to wrong map position
  • Fixed camp button enabling when swimming
  • Fixed an issue where the text of the active player sometimes became red
  • Adjusted some popup sizes
  • Exchanged equipment will no longer reset to the inventory instead on right click
  • Shift + Up/Down scrolls to top or bottom
  • Added 2D map auto-poison and random animations (swamp thingies)
  • Playing the elf harp will automatically enable the music
  • With godmode you will now always hit
  • Fixed a crash in battle position window
  • Fixed a bug where the player could disappear on a broom or eagle
  • Fixed some SP stealer issues
  • Loading chars with equipped two-handed weapons will no show the second hand red cross
  • When dying the exhaustion effect (stat crippling) is now reverted as well
  • Fixed horse/raft/ship sellers
  • Adjusted unlocked door event chains to be conform with the original
  • Lamed and sleeping players can now be blinked
  • The Netsrak cheat no longer maxes the age
  • Fixed interaction of aging popups and exhaustion/tired popups (no game freeze anymore)
  • World map coordinates will no longer exceed the range (e.g 801 etc)
  • The sand ship can no longer enter doors
  • Use items will now also trigger events on adjacent tiles (even in 2D)
  • The youth potion can no longer increase the age when you are younger than 18
  • Using a water of life can no longer fail
  • SLP and SP no longer appear on non-magic chars when storing items etc
  • Toggling music will now correctly continue the music
  • The game now also works with unimploded original executables
  • Updated to the latest original game version (1.10en and 1.09de)
  • Added an easteregg which was also present in the original :)

index.php

Arcane
Release v1.2.0
Adjustments to work like the original
  • Fixed APR (attacks per round) calculation
  • No level is shown for animal NPCs now
  • Dictionary words are sorted alphabetically
  • Cursed items will now also cripple Atk/Def
  • You won't receive damage anymore with 99 swim skill
  • Added music to the camp
  • The world is now also checked in battles for spells
  • Non-chest treasures will now show the correct image
  • Dwarf/Moranian blacksmiths, merchants and innkeepers
    will now use the correct image
  • The superman cheat now also grants full light
  • While on eagle, broom or flying, you won't be affected
    by swamp poison anymore
  • Corrected the superman music to 'Chicken Soup'
Technical improvements and fixes
  • Added optional tooltips for all attributes, skills, ailments
    and also for some character information fields like age or EP
  • Added 20 more savegame slots (can be disabled in the options)
  • On closing most temp files will be cleaned up
  • Minimizing the window now stops the music and pauses the game
  • Fixed crash when opening the dungeon map on some maps
  • When aborting the editing of a savegame name, the name no longer
    stays there
  • When opening a popup in battle while hovering a monster, the
    tooltip is no longer shown in front of that popup
  • Added the Thalion logo to the start (can be turned off in the options)
  • The Pyrdacor logo can be disabled in the options
  • Fixed a bug where the move keys were locked in when you die
    while moving (e.g. due to poisoning)

Release v1.2.1
Quick fixes:

• Fixed unlimited increasing of Atk/Def on game load
  • Superman mode now really grants full light

Release v1.2.2
Quick fixes:

• Saving in slots 17 to 30 will no longer crash the game
  • Corrected LP/SP recover amounts when sleeping
  • Battle damage is no longer in front of the spell book
  • Fixed text indentation of damage/defense values if they are 0 in item info popup
  • When you have the file "Saves" next to your Ambermoon.net executable, it will store the remake savegames in a folder called "SavesRemake" instead if possible

index.php

Arcane
Release v1.3.0

Features
  • Added quicksave with Ctrl+1 to Ctrl+0 (slots 1-10)
  • Added screenshot function (PrintScreen key or Ctrl+P)
  • Added alternating animations for some 2D characters
  • Options can now be scrolled with mouse wheel
  • Automap can now be closed by keys Space and Esc
  • You can now open the inventory with F1-F6 from automap
  • Game version can now also be confirmed with keys Space or Return
  • Other popups that can be closed by a click, can now also be closed with keys Space, Return or Esc
  • Added noclip cheat
  • Godmode now makes you immune to ailments
Fixes
  • Fixed that NPCs are sometimes drawn partly above the player
  • When the last member is unable to select in fight, the game over screen is now shown
  • Fixed raft dealer picture
  • Places without 'closed' text index will now still block the player
  • If a curse leads to negative values, there is no longer a negative overflow
  • Items that are destroyed after use (e.g. torches) can not break anymore
  • You can now use the numpad keys to enter numbers
  • 2D movespeed now depends on the "travel graphics" map flag and not the world surface flag
  • While using a horse, raft, ship, lizard or sand ship you can now still teleport if the
    target map allows travel types as well (e.g. teleport at the vortex or wind gates on a horse)
  • Fixed baseline (rendering) while swimming
  • Give gold/food buttons are now correctly enabled when your gold/food amount changes
  • Fixed issue when you gave an item twice to an NPC
  • Light will not be active in a dungeon when you sleep for hours just before the light source runs out
  • Music is now correctly remembered through event chains
  • LP/SP is now updated in the character info when using potions
  • Fixed cursed items
  • The item details will no longer show the "cursed" state if the item is not cursed anymore
  • Using items in 3D now requires you to stand more closely to the tile with the event
  • When falling down a hole or climbing down a ladder you are now placed at the correct position
  • Removing events which have some visual on the automap, will now remove that visual (e.g. a pile)
  • Levitating/climbing now only works if the event is still active
  • Levitating/climbing/falling will now place you on the correct position in all cases

lecrop

Educated
It's a very good game, and I have a lot of arguments to say that.

But what is the value of my opinion or that of others in this regard? I mean, it's a free game, of which you can read the features and see screenshots. Install it and give it a try, it won't take you more than 10 minutes to test it a bit.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I still have a problem with screen flickering in fullscreen with all builds including the latest (1.3?) so I'd like to make a feature request to the developer for a native borderless window mode in any upcoming versions. In the meantime, Borderless Gaming does a great job allowing me to play this game in "fullscreen" with no flickering but I always have to run the program first and keep it running before opening up Ambermoon.net; a pain.

index.php

Arcane
Release v1.4.0

• Added fallback text "Textblock not found" if some text is missing (instead of just crashing)
  • The player is now always drawn on top of transports like ships
  • Fixed target cursor range
  • Teleport from land to water and vice versa is now allowed
  • Fixed some tile change events
  • LP/SP bars are now updated when equipping an item which grants such values
  • Added magic animation for youth potion usage
  • Chest texts are no longer displayed when the chest is already looted
  • Corrected critical hit trainer picture
  • Resurrection spell will now correctly refill the LP
  • Rewards will now consider the random flag
  • Giving equipped items to self will now add them to the inventory instead of doing nothing
  • After a spell was learned, a right click will now correctly close the window and the spell is added
  • Failed dissolving spells will no longer remove or shrink the monster sprite
  • Text popups will now work if at the same time a tired or exhausted popup appears
  • Flying players will no longer be affected by map poison
  • Now always the same WM_CLASS is used so that window managers can rely on it for window settings
  • Kire's treasure chamber is now accessible
  • Fixed some issues with equip breaking during battle
  • Godmode and noclip cheats will now toggle
  • Unlocked chests will now show the correct map icon
  • Long text is now scrolled slowly so the eye can follow
  • Player switching via numpad is no longer possible if a popup is open
  • Added cheat to explore the whole map
  • Fixed some issues where text appeared above popups/windows in battle
  • Fixed wrong spell immunity handling
  • Fixed a crash when clicking during a battle
  • Ceilings an floors are now drawn behind all map objects
  • Fixed LP stealer spell
  • Battle messages with fast battle mode active, will now be shown a bit longer, important ones even longer
  • Thunderbolt is no longer only a white flash with fast battle mode active
  • Cheat console now also works when the game is started from terminals (CMD, bash, etc)
  • Closing chests without looting will now still trigger follow-up events
  • Improved size of decision boxes
  • In battle if a player and monster have same speed values, the player attacks first like in original
  • Extended savegame slot names are no longer shared between game versions
  • Copy original saves to an extended save slot will now work
  • You can no longer access doors on a horse
  • Fixed wrong music when leaving the camp window after you also opened the inventory
  • Spell book is now also disabled for non-magic characters

Mychkine

Educated
I feel like I'm an idiot, but I cannot find how to run the .net file on Linux. Anybody could provide instructions?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I feel like I'm an idiot, but I cannot find how to run the .net file on Linux. Anybody could provide instructions?
Extract the .gz

Open the terminal in the folder with the extracted stuff

in the terminal, enter ./Ambermoon.net (with the dot and the slash and the capital 'A') and press ENTER

That's all it takes for me using the newest Ubuntu.

Mychkine

Educated
So, I'm an idiot. I didn't try the obvious. Thanks a lot anyways !

Mychkine

Educated
It does work. Thanks a lot. Next time I'll remember how to launch an executable via the command line alone...

1.4 doesn't run for me on Win10. It opens the window for a fracture of a second and closes immediately. All earlier versions worked flawlessly. Strange.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
What is this Ambermoon Advanced option that exists is this newer version?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom