Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief: The Dark Project vs. Gold

Which one do you like best?

• The Dark Project

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • Gold

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • Gold, without the new missions.

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:hmmm:
Morecuck actually posting something good. Who are you and what did you do with Morecuck ?!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I really don't get the hate for thief 3,it is a really good game. The only real decline is the difficulty doesn't give you more objectives.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Because T3 was limited by the consoles.
Although he dealt with them better than Desu Ex Invisible Walls.

Absinthe

Arcane
Dark Project. Gold's version of Down in the Bonehoard is lame. They basically easymoded the fuck out of it.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
After going out of my way to play a proper install of The Dark Project a few months back, I would say Gold is better not only for Song of the Caverns, but because of extra details like dropping corpses not being dead silent, zombies that don't immediately get up after you knock them down, and improved patrols in Cragscleft. Could be placebo but I played Gold immediately after for comparison and the AI patrols also get caught on eachother far less often. The only real criticisms I think have any merit are replacing all the craymen in The Lost City with humans and the wooden platform in Bonehoard you can rope arrow to.

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
Thieves' Guild is actually really easy to beat; all you have to do is press ctrl+alt+shift+end... How were you guys trying to beat it?

Cunt Dickula!?

I really don't get the hate for thief 3,it is a really good game. The only real decline is the difficulty doesn't give you more objectives.
Dude. Don't you see the difference in level design between T3 and T1/2!?
T3 levels are a lot smaller and more linear on average than T1/T2 levels.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Deadly Shadows levels take after T2 levels in being non-linear and less labyrinthine. They're just ruined by being chopped up behind loading screens, but you can mitigate that with the Sneaky Upgrade patch. Thieves Guild is fine on the lowest difficulty, but completely fucking retarded on medium and hard when you have to find the unique loot.

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected

I agree. Thief 3 took me some years to get into because of the somewhat janky controls, but once I actually played through the whole game I was surprised at how well it follows up the first two. I also thought the hub area was really cool, especially how small things changed depending on player actions.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Thieves' Guild is actually really easy to beat; all you have to do is press ctrl+alt+shift+end... How were you guys trying to beat it?
Do you enjoy playing The Sword without buying any equipment?

Arryosha

Learned
Is Deadly Shadows the next best stealth game after the originals?

I think so, despite it's problems. But I haven't played new stealth games (post 2010), so I don't really know. The hitman and splinter cell games are great, but never quite hooked me in the same way. They seem even more console-focused than Deadly Shadows.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

I think so, despite it's problems. But I haven't played new stealth games (post 2010), so I don't really know. The hitman and splinter cell games are great, but never quite hooked me in the same way. They seem even more console-focused than Deadly Shadows.

There's also Thief 4 if you haven't already played it. Come on, give it a try. It's free!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

There's also Thief 4 if you haven't already played it. Come on, give it a try. It's free!
I actually finished it,it is not bad time waster open world game,but it is not thief game for sure. Those fucking hands....picking every shiny shit that is worth 1 or 2 copper pieces...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The level design is fine,the levels are not that small,just cut in two halfs. From what i remember there is a mod that removes the loading thing and makes them in to a one thing. But yeah that was shitty thing because of consoles being shit. But i do remember every level of the game and like them,they felt natural and realistic. Tho i think that thief 1 have the worst level design and general gameplay. It have a few good levels but a lot of shit in between. Also it make no sense,the game is called thief and not indian jones with black robes. You do almost no thieving at all in the game.

Cunt Dickula!?

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is also great but sadly the only really good Splinter Cell.

Cunt Dickula!?

Also it make no sense,the game is called thief and not indian jones with black robes. You do almost no thieving at all in the game.
Yeah, as i once read here you are more of a dnd rogue than a real thief. You steal a little along the way but most important of all you have to defeat dnd like baddies.

Arryosha

Learned
Also it make no sense,the game is called thief and not indian jones with black robes. You do almost no thieving at all in the game.
Yeah, as i once read here you are more of a dnd rogue than a real thief. You steal a little along the way but most important of all you have to defeat dnd like baddies.

Thief 1 was originally supposed to be an ARPG and went through a lot of changes, according to the wikipedia. Not sure if this explains it.

It was every Thief 1/2 fan's soul mate, Paul Neurath, who is responsible for the thief aspect. His account of his own inspiration for the game at the beginning of his interview with ars technica is great.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I actually finished it,it is not bad time waster open world game,but it is not thief game for sure. Those fucking hands....picking every shiny shit that is worth 1 or 2 copper pieces...

Check the link again in my post ;)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The level design is fine,the levels are not that small,just cut in two halfs. From what i remember there is a mod that removes the loading thing and makes them in to a one thing.
Does it work well? I remember trying it many years ago but is was janky and didn't seem to work. I don't even remember it's name or link.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Thief 1 was originally supposed to be an ARPG and went through a lot of changes, according to the wikipedia. Not sure if this explains it.

It was every Thief 1/2 fan's soul mate, Paul Neurath, who is responsible for the thief aspect. His account of his own inspiration for the game at the beginning of his interview with ars technica is great.

Yeah,thank God that it ended up as it did. It would have been some generic doom/ultima garbage that would have been forgotten in a year. I personally like the first game the least out of them all. It is very rudimentary and basic,feels like a ps2 game. Tho i do respect it for what it did.

Check the link again in my post ;)
Yeah,had played plenty of that shit :). Still doesn't take away from my autistic achievement of finishing th4f :lol:

The level design is fine,the levels are not that small,just cut in two halfs. From what i remember there is a mod that removes the loading thing and makes them in to a one thing.
Does it work well? I remember trying it many years ago but is was janky and didn't seem to work. I don't even remember it's name or link.
Have no idea,i was never bothered by the loading screens. But i head read that it runs pretty good.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The game itself is good,limitations aside.
The level design is fine,the levels are not that small,just cut in two halfs. From what i remember there is a mod that removes the loading thing and makes them in to a one thing. But yeah that was shitty thing because of consoles being shit. But i do remember every level of the game and like them,they felt natural and realistic. Tho i think that thief 1 have the worst level design and general gameplay. It have a few good levels but a lot of shit in between. Also it make no sense,the game is called thief and not indian jones with black robes. You do almost no thieving at all in the game.
The levels are small and linear, even after joining them. The control of Garrett is atrocius, due to the 3rd person inclusion to please the console players, while the movement and sense of presence in Thief 1&2 is pure perfection.
No rope arrows and swimming too.

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
The game itself is good,limitations aside.
The levels are small and linear, even after joining them. The control of Garrett is atrocius, due to the 3rd person inclusion to please the console players, while the movement and sense of presence in Thief 1&2 is pure perfection.
No rope arrows and swimming too.

I don't get the complaints about the lack of rope arrows in Thief 3... Were the climbing gloves not enough for you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom