Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition - GTA 3 trilogy remaster

ferratilis

Magister
Now it makes sense why they sent all those takedown notices to modders, they have a cashgrab brewing, and they already know mods offer a superior experience. Fuck Take-Two.

https://wccftech.com/grand-theft-auto-trilogy-remaster-coming/
A Grand Theft Auto Trilogy Remaster Is Indeed Coming, According to Reliable Leaker

https://kotaku.com/the-gta-remastered-trilogy-appears-to-be-real-and-comi-1847474620
The GTA Remastered Trilogy Appears To Be Real, And Coming To Switch
Rockstar is also bringing the games to PS5 and Xbox consoles, naturally

If Rockstar wanted to do something interesting they'd remake GTA2. Anywhere City and its retro-futurism sci-fi world is easily the coolest GTA has ever been aesthetically.

TQ4VnjoTv8c.jpg

GxhZUrX3KEs.jpg

u_c0532408f0b7e4a6f9cb0d733d394528_800.gif
PolitieCop.jpg

SRS_Scientist.JPG
300px-SWAT_Cop.JPG

Dodo1610

Arcane
All three of these games are being remastered using Unreal Engine and will be a mix of “new and old graphics.” One source who claims to have seen a snippet of the games in action said that the visuals reminded them of a heavily modded version of a classic GTA title. The UI for the games are being updated too, but will retain the same classic style.

Well, at least they are porting it to a modern engine that's more than what EA did for the Mass Effect trilogy. :mad:

ferratilis

Magister
I posted it before and I'll post here again, this site contains modpacks for GTA3, VC, SA, 4, Bully, Manhunt, the Warriors and packs of Chinatown wars, VCS, and LCS with emulator included. Might be worth downloading everything and saving somewhere before Take-Two comes after them, as well.
https://www.definitive-edition-project.com/files

It might also be a good idea to download copies of these games as well, because you can bet your ass all of them will disappear from Steam when their respective remasters come out.

I wonder if they’re going to shell out to re-license the radio tracks they had to remove or if they’re just going to say “Fuck it. Take your inferior yet more expensive remake and be grateful you little shits”.

passerby

Arcane
I posted it before and I'll post here again, this site contains modpacks for GTA3, VC, SA, 4, Bully, Manhunt, the Warriors and packs of Chinatown wars, VCS, and LCS with emulator included. Might be worth downloading everything and saving somewhere before Take-Two comes after them, as well.
https://www.definitive-edition-project.com/files

It might also be a good idea to download copies of these games as well, because you can bet your ass all of them will disappear from Steam when their respective remasters come out.

When games disapear from Steam store, they still remain in the libraries of people who own them. You can even activate steam keys of games that are no longer available for sale on Steam.

T45 Paladin

Novice
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I really don't see how Unreal Engine is the best fit for those games. That said, a new engine could do wonders in terms of getting rid of the clunky feeling when moving around on foot, as well as more realistic damage against vehicles.

Why didn't they just re-use the GTA 5 engine?

Wunderbar

Arcane
I really don't see how Unreal Engine is the best fit for those games. That said, a new engine could do wonders in terms of getting rid of the clunky feeling when moving around on foot, as well as more realistic damage against vehicles.

Why didn't they just re-use the GTA 5 engine?
the remasters are being made by Rockstar Dundee. They were acquired only a year ago and probably don't have the experience working with RAGE engine.

ferratilis

Magister
You know those Doom Unity ports where they didn't even bother to make them run at high framerates, and the music doesn't loop properly? It's literally the same game, but only using Unity as a wrapper to make it run on console. I'm guessing this will be the same thing, just using Unreal. They might just redo the UI to look good on high resolutions, maybe replace a few removed songs with others (like in the Tony Hawk Pro Skater remake), improve controller support and call it a day. It will still sell like hotcakes. If people are paying for flying cars in GTA Online, they will probably pay for this as well.

It's well known that running 3, VC, and SA at higher than 30FPS introduces some problems with physics, so I wonder if they'll do anything about that. But based on previous experience, it'll probably stay locked at 30 lol.

Curratum

End remaster culture.

So you can both moan how all new games are shit, but we also lose the opportunity to play remasters of good games we all know and love? Yeah, great thinking...
Game devs deserve to go bankrupt if they can't produce new games that are any good. Remaster culture is them subsisting on the accomplishments of past generations.

It's called "making do with what you get", not wanting things you can never have.

I wonder what the visual style of these game will be. Those GTA games in particular are very cartoony looking, but that's something they've been moving away from as time goes on, especially by the time you get to GTA5. Like I'd hope a GTA3 remaster/remake thing would stayed in the same visual style of the game and official art, but I'm not sure it'll do that. Wonder what the gameplay will look like too, especially since the series has had a pretty mass shift (for the better) in how shooting works from the RenderWare GTAs to the RAGE GTAs. There's even a shift from Vice City to San Andreas.

I'd kind of rather a GTA3 remake end up looking more like the official art of the game then trying to look realistic and have character models look less stylized and have realistic textures and shit. Like I'd almost rather it look like Persona 5 for something but with character models that look like this:

GTA3+European+front+of+box+game+cover.+2002.jpg

I think the most they ever ended up pushing the character models actually looking like the old art for the game were the still talking head cutscenes Chinetown Wars. Probably won't happen, but I'd imagine the audience would be more receptive to it looking more like the old art, and it'd probably be faster to do than making it as some ultra realistic looking thing that given the natural of the project likely wouldn't look as good as the last big game Rockstar put out that it would be compared to.

curds

Magister
End remaster culture.

So you can both moan how all new games are shit, but we also lose the opportunity to play remasters of good games we all know and love? Yeah, great thinking...

You want to moan how games from more than five years ago are unplayable because of having somewhat dated graphics, then play $50 for a lazy remaster when there are probably free mods that achieve better results than the remaster, oh and the $10 original game is removed from stores so people only have the option to buy the remaster? Also great thinking.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

just kiddin', it's just modded game

and achievements
686840781_949.jpg

686840807_583.jpg

686840833_510.jpg

maybe some day they re-release Stories games...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom