Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Deck ~ PC Switch

Will you buy one?

• Yes, take my jew scheckles!

Votes: 62 36.3%
  • No, this is consolitis creeping into a PC.

Votes: 63 36.8%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 46 26.9%

• Total voters

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Unless your PC is 6+ years old this thing won't be an upgrade, come on now. It was struggling to maintain 60FPS in Doom Eternal with everything turned down to medium and running at 800p in LTT's video, and that game is known to be one of the few examples of an actually optimized modern AAA game.
Now imagine trying to run demanding games at 1080p, let alone 2K or 4K.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Yeah I don't quite get that perspective. Steam Deck is awesome, and powerful as fuck, for a HANDHELD.

I guess what they mean is that some people with ancient PCs might simply forgo upgrading them, get Steam Deck instead and play on that, accepting that it will not run latest games in higher than 800p res.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think it goes without saying that the Deck is not meant to be used to stream AAA games to a TV at higher resolutions...

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, i wanna see someone load up Cyberpunk or Kingdom Come on that thing and watch it melt in their hands.

However, i'm curious to see how that stream shit works.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This thing is definitely targetted at indie titles/emulators like the Switch as it will soon be obsolete to run AAA shit when PS5 and XBOX Series X only games start being released, not that you lose much frankly, seems Valve is targetting the Switch market of the people who want to play on lazy mode. Once they release the next upgraded version with more storage (64 gb is ridiculous), I'm sure they wont drop the support for it ( like they always do) and the price drop a little, I might buy it. Only real use for it is that it is more convenient to use when on lazy mode than a laptop, it is decent for when you wish to play a strategy game relaxed with some nice coffe and dont bother to be sit in front of your main rig.

About using it on the street, nah, you need to have a way too low attention spam to be playing games on the street when you might be talking to people or apreciating Nature in moments of leasure. Seeing people playing video games on the bus or street annoys me somehow, it is like watching them taking a dump in public or something. Gaming is a private sacred moment like pissing or taking a dump, it requires an etiquette.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Lmao, i wanna see someone load up Cyberpunk or Kingdom Come on that thing and watch it melt in their hands.
I am fairly confident both these games will run better on Deck than they do on lastgen consoles. 4 core 8 thread Zen 2 runs circles around those jaguars. And its GPU should be enough too for 800p on low preset (perhaps with textures on high) for 30fps.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
However, i'm curious to see how that stream shit works.

Judging from how streaming works on my GPD Win 1 it should work perfectly fine. I tried it a few days ago, i opened Steam on my main PC, opened Steam on my GPD Win and i could launch any game from my main PC and have it streamed on the GPD Win. There was some very tiny lag but that is unavoidable considering it has to go through wifi, etc.

Though TBH i'm not sure how practical this is in general considering it hogs the PC. Might work from distance if you keep the PC open at home and go to work or a cafe or wherever but i'd guess the input lag will increase and you'll be dependent on wifi availability.

I'm sure they wont drop the support for it ( like they always do)

Valve so far hasn't dropped support for their hardware, AFAIK they still release updates even for Steam Link despite being out of sale for years now. And TBH this is really just a PC running Linux, even if Valve drops support for it, you can just install another Linux distribution and put Steam or whatever on it.

Calthaer

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The chances of me picking this up are very slim, as I am a very late adopter these days. Too many games unplayed or unfinished...my Backloggery has GBA games I haven't quite completed yet.

What would get me off the fence is in-person co-op gaming with this thing. Probably would not be some AAA FPS but it could be a platformer or Among Us or whatever. I am not into those "AAA" games, though...the soulless clickfests that EA and Activision / Blizzard and whoever shovel out these days. I'd use my Steam Deck for Aquaria, FEZ, Hollow Knight, Slay the Spire, Loop Hero, Death Road to Canada...you name it, the indie gems. I'm sure the Steam Deck would run those just fine. Maybe in the next few years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/th...eam-deck-like-the-steam-controller-says-valve

"There isn't something secret embedded in the Steam Deck" like the Steam Controller, says Valve
But it will receive plenty of feature updates post-launch

When Valve first released the Steam Controller, it had a hidden, latent gyroscope inside it that Valve switched on later to get it extra hardware functionality. Alas, anyone hoping for similar technological surprises inside their upcoming portable Steam Deck PC are going to be disappointed, as Valve designer Greg Coomer has assured me there "isn't something secret embedded in the Steam Deck that we're going to turn on later" (if only because it already has a gyro built-in). It will, however, continue to get plenty of additional post-launch updates that will give it new features on the software side, he said, including a bunch of nifty cloud capabilities.

"This device is going to get the same treatment that Steam customers are used to in bringing new features to it well after launch," Coomer tells me. "Launch is just the beginning of what we see as bringing features to customers on this device. So there's a sort of inherent futureproofing that Valve tries to operate with all the time, where customers can expect new functionality and features to arrive on the device during the whole course of its life."

Most of those features will be on the software side, Coomer tells me, with a particular focus on how the Deck interacts with the cloud.

"[The Steam Deck] relies heavily on all the cloud technology that's built into the Steam backend," he says. "Streaming from another PC is a thing this device can do, [and] there are some scenarios where you'd want to do that, like you could avoid installing a game twice and save some battery if you're sitting in the same room as the PC that you're running on... Those scenarios, they work right now, but we're going to ship ways that make those scenarios easier and easier."

This will be good news for anyone hoping to play more demanding games on their Deck, although it does rather run counter to the idea that the Deck is a viable upgrade choice for those looking to replace their current rig. Still, the feature I'm looking forward to the most is its upcoming 'suspend and resume' feature, which will let you seamlessly switch between the Deck and your desktop.

"There are actually multiple ways to do [suspend and resume]," says Coomer. "With a quick save to the cloud, or I could pick up where I left off by streaming from that device if I've got good bandwidth. All those things, again, they already work, but we're going to be shipping updates that target those scenarios and make them as seamless as possible. We'll do a lot of that work before launch, but some of it we're going to keep iterating on after launch, and I think there are many of those features that we will think of once customers have devices in their hands.

Indeed, this kind of seamless device switching was one of the most impressive things about Blade's Shadow cloud gaming service when I tested it a few years ago, and I hope that Valve manage produce a similar experience on the Deck. What I really want from the Deck, though, is to be able to instantly pause and suspend my games when I put it into sleep like my Nintendo Switch. Luckily, Valve are looking into this as well.

It's also possible that Valve will bring new features to the Deck that even they haven't even thought of yet. As fellow Steam Deck designer Lawrence Yang noted during our chat, "We fully expect that a lot of the updates that we will be making to the device, especially from a software standpoint, is once people have these in their hands, we're going to be hearing customer feedback and listening to what people are doing and what they would like to do."

It's all promising stuff, so if there's something you'd like to do with the Deck that currently isn't part of its expected feature set, it's possible Valve might just listen and make it a reality.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The full interview with Mr. Coomer: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/th...gs-hardware-software-and-knowing-when-to-stop

The Steam Deck interview: Valve's designers on all things hardware, software, and knowing when to stop
We sit down with Valve's design team to talk all things Steam Deck

Earlier this month, I sat down with Steam Deck designers Greg Coomer and Lawrence Yang to talk about Valve's new portable handheld PC. It's without doubt one of the most exciting things to happen in PC gaming in recent years - I'm certainly looking forward to it, and I know many of you are as well. While Covid restrictions meant I couldn't go and see it in person like many other media outlets, I did get to talk with Coomer and Yang about the Steam Deck's hardware, design, and future-proofing over Zoom instead. You may have already seen a few snippets from our conversation appear on the site in recent weeks, but here's the interview in full.

In it, I ask them about the origins of the Steam Deck, what you can expect from its dedicated dock, whether 4K-capable handhelds like the hotly-rumoured Switch Pro are even realistic right now, what games they're most looking forward to playing on the Steam Deck themselves, and much more.

How's the reception been so far for you? Are you pleased, shocked, surprised by the reaction to the Steam Deck?

Greg Coomer (GC): We and the team are just generally both excited and pleased by the reaction. For us, we've been working on this for quite a while, so it's exciting just to have everybody be able to experience it. But generally, yes, we're really pleased with the response.

Lawrence Yang (LY): Yeah, internally we've been really excited about this product since its inception, and to see the world at large, the internet at large, also be excited about it is really gratifying.

At what point did you first start thinking about making the Steam Deck? You've said in the past, both in terms of your software and your hardware, that you only ever tend to do or make something if it's going to advance the ecosystem as a whole - so what was it that prompted you to start thinking "handheld PC gaming is the future"?

GC: Actually, we've been discussing a device like this for several years, and one of the things that's definitely true about it is that it's the culmination of a bunch of different past products and explorations. Even back when we were mostly focused on things like the Steam Controller or a streaming device, it really always was a handheld PC, was really always something we were discussing back, you know, several years ago. But a bunch of things had to come true first for it to be viable in our eyes, and one of the main ones was just that we really wanted to put the Steam catalogue first.

We weren't really interested in making a handheld device that couldn't play all the games on Steam. We tossed around the idea of making something that was based on a very different architecture - you know, something that was not an x86 kind of PC-like solution - but that would have diverged quite a ways from a device that was fundamentally designed to play the games that were already on Steam.

So only just recently when we've been working with AMD did we really think it became possible to bring a product to market that had the performance envelope that was correct to play the latest triple-A games and do it really well, and do it in a small form factor without, you know, melting, and we're really happy with what we've been able to achieve. If we had tried to do it even a couple of years ago, it would have been a lot more difficult.
You've said the Steam Deck can play all games in the Steam library, but do you believe that all games are 'made' for handheld play? There's always been a distinction between handheld and big screen gaming. Was 'every game' always the goal, or was there ever any discussion about whether it could just be the 'ultimate indie game' machine?

GC: Although we did discuss versions of the device that would be more appropriate for, say, lower spec games, that was never really a prominent thrust of our work. It wasn't really interesting to a lot of people who work here.

LY: Yeah, I would agree. We wanted a device that would be powerful enough to handle anything that you threw at it, and if you wanted to play a really high fidelity game on it, you could. That said, you're right, some games are better or designed specifically for controllers, and those kinds of games will just naturally play really well on Deck. There are other games that were maybe designed with mouse and keyboard in mind, and for those kinds of games we have additional inputs like the trackpad, gyro and the back buttons, and the touchscreen, which can help to fill that gap, and if developers want to take the extra step and also integrate Steam Input, that's another way those games can be played better. And again, it's like a PC, so if a customer wants to plug a keyboard and mouse into it to play those games that way, then that's also something they can definitely do.

Since the Steam Deck's initial reveal, you've said you're targeting a high-end PC gaming audience - an audience that's different to Nintendo Switch players. But I'm also curious about whether you see the Steam Deck as a budget, entry-level PC as well? Once the dock's available, do you envision this becoming a viable first PC option for people?

GC: A lot of people internally are excited about that, so yes, I think it's going to be determined by just how people generally in the real world use the device and who ends up buying it. We don't have a strong prediction that a bunch of people are going to choose it as their first PC, but as a lot of people choose to upgrade their existing PCs, we feel fairly confident that Steam Deck will be a choice that they make, because it's so capable and it does so many other things that people will just do with their default PC right now, that probably as they upgrade machines, I think Steam Deck will be one of the...

LY: Yes, I definitely think it's a viable choice. You can do everything you'd do on a PC with it, and it's just a little PC that you can plug stuff into.

The Steam Deck can be plugged into a monitor using either its dedicated dock, or by connecting it over USB-C.
Will the dock output at a higher resolution?

GC: It does, yeah. It delivers both DisplayPort and HDMI, and the resolution goes quite a bit higher.

LY: It's not the dock specifically that lets it output at a higher resolution. You can plug any HDMI to USB-C adapter into this and it can output at 4K.

GC: That's right, any device that can convert directly from this unit will output and display at a higher resolution.

Is it possible to actually play games at a higher resolution with the Deck's current hardware?

GC: It definitely depends on the game once you go to a really high resolution. It's like any other PC in that way where if you push it hard in that direction, there are many games that would start to go way below our target frame rate of even 30fps.

LY: And just like any other PC and other PC games, you can tweak settings. If you want to output to a 4K monitor and lower the textures, it will probably run fine.

With technology moving forward all the time, at what point do you draw the line and say, "This is it"? I can imagine there's always a temptation to wait for a better battery, a better CPU, better storage...

LY: It's like the age-old hardware question. It's always like, 'Oh, if we wait another half a year or a few months, then we can have this part instead." But I think, like Greg said, a couple of years ago we couldn't have made this device because it would have been either too unwieldy, or too power hungry, or too hot. But because of our partnership with AMD, we're able to get this really high performance APU, we felt this was the moment that we could assemble all the parts and create this device in a form factor and performance that we're really happy with.

GC: I think the answer also to your question is particularly interesting at Valve a lot of the time, because we are relatively recently a hardware company, and our DNA is really in software where upgrading stuff, it takes as long as writing some code and shipping it on the internet. So the people who work here, you know, we've hired a ton of experts in the hardware field who have all been slowly teaching us, 'You can't really operate the same way in hardware and just upgrade things whenever you feel like it.'

So your question about when do you draw the line, I think it's often extra interesting at Valve because so many of us want to treat even this device like a platform that can just be upgraded at will, and we can just, you know, why not upgrade it every three months? Obviously, that wouldn't be the best service that we would do for game developers or customers if we tried to operate that way. We're already looking ahead to the future because we believe this is a product line that will have a long life, so of course we're thinking about what would we build next, and we're starting to make plans in those directions. But there is not a design for Steam Deck 2, but we're thinking along those lines and having conversations already about where would we draw the line for our next iteration of the device.

It's exciting that you've gone with AMD for the Steam Deck's internals, as I've always been impressed with their APUs over the years. Did you ever experiment with an Nvidia chip in any of your early prototypes as well?

GC: Yes, we've been experimenting with hardware from a bunch of companies, other GPUs and other CPU solutions, but really there wasn't something we really considered viable until we were able to actually collaborate with AMD, and they had a roadmap that included this low TDP, low power envelope, but maintaining the high performance, and it just worked. You know, their parts weren't exactly right for this device because of course this category didn't exist and there are some features we rely on heavily that we worked with them on, having to do with low power and save states, and things like that.

Do you think 4K-capable handhelds like the hotly rumoured (but still non-existent) Switch Pro are actually realistic at this point in time?

GC: I think we did find what we considered a sweet spot around this screen size and the readability you can achieve on it. I guess for a lot of the games we're running on this device, it isn't at the moment for all the things we want this device to do, so it seems like that's probably something that would come down the road, but we weren't really very concerned with that for this generation of the device. It was not... achieving 4K and having a display that runs at that resolution wasn't really a design target for us.

LY: And it wouldn't have been worth the trade-off. Technically, it probably is possible to create a device of this size that can output at 4K...

GC: And run all these games...

LY: Right, but what would that device actually look like? How long could it run those games? How hot would it get? It's a lot of balancing and we're actually really happy with where this is right now. You know, technology marches forward. Maybe in a year or two we actually will have something that becomes more possible.

All manner of peripherals can be plugged into the Steam Deck, including arcade sticks.
How important do you think super-sampling and upscaling technologies like FSR and DLSS will be to the future of both the Steam Deck and PC gaming as a whole?

GC: I think they're just part of the expectation that customers have of devices like this. I mean, this is a very capable PC, and if we're leaving those features out of either this device or updates to this device or our roadmap going forward, it wouldn't really make sense to all the gamers that make decisions about where they want to play games and so those things are absolutely important and we're going to continue to focus on them.

You've already said that the Steam Deck will have all the available settings and PC options you'd normally have on desktop, but are you also offering guidance to developers about optimisation, font sizes, UI scaling etc?

GC: Yes, I think guidance is the right word. And so we're putting that together really right now. We're already talking to developers about it, everything that we've learned so far about what works well on this device and what APIs they should target. Steam Input is a big one. But even at the level you're describing, what works for readability and usability of the device, we definitely have guidance and we're starting to talk to developers about that.

In your eyes, what's the next big hurdle for PC gaming hardware, and how is the Steam Deck equipped to handle that? How much futureproofing is built into it?

GC: Well, I think one of the things that puts us in a good position conceptually is just that we haven't tailor made the device in a narrow way to accomplish what the device is doing to play these games. It is a general purpose, high performance with a strong CPU and GPU solution, and the kinds of innovations that come to PC gaming, or new features for graphics rendering or anything in that category. There's nothing about this device that's overly narrow or that would preclude those new features from running. So the performance envelope we're really happy with, but we're also really happy with how generically applicable this device is to new technologies that come along, and how we've not had to design it in ways that are technically narrow that would preclude anything like that from happening. So in a broad way, I think we're generally well positioned to be somewhat futureproof, but also we just look at this as a long product line that will have successive generations where we'll be looking at new opportunities to bring new features, whether it's AMD or whoever we're working with.

LY: And one of the ways in that it is more futureproof for us is because we made the hardware, we made the software and the OS. At all levels, we can update and change things as needed so if it requires an OS update, a firmware update, or whatever future features that might require different things, we actually have the ability to do that.

GC: Related to that, we talked about how this device is somewhat a culmination of our past experiences in hardware and software, we've made a point to try really hard to treat our various hardware products as things we update very often, whether it's the software side or the firmware side. And for sure, this device is just going to get the same treatment that Steam customers are used to in bringing new features to it well after launch. Launch is just the beginning of what we see as bringing features to customers on this device. So there's a sort of inherent futureproofing that Valve tries to operate with all the time, where customers can expect new functionality and features to arrive on the device during the whole course of its life.

Can you give us an idea about what those kinds of features might be?

GC: Well, in the past, things like the Steam Controller, there were updates that brought on whole new feature sets. We had a latent gyroscope that was embedded in the Steam Controller that was not actually functional until the Steam Controller had been out for a while, and then we shipped an update that changed the firmware to turn that functionality on. There isn't something secret embedded in the Steam Deck that we're going to turn on later, but I think the kinds of things that have been, you know, over the years have been brought as features to Steam are the same kinds of things that will be brought as features to Steam Deck.

It relies heavily on all the cloud technology that's built into the Steam backend; streaming from another PC is a thing this device can do, there are some scenarios where you'd want to do that, like you could avoid installing a game twice and save some battery if you're sitting in the same room as the PC that you're running on... Those scenarios, they work right now, but we're going to ship ways that make those scenarios easier and easier. Other things are like suspend and resume sessions where I'm sitting at a desktop PC playing a game and I want to seamlessly continue my game I was having on my Steam Deck, and there are actually multiple ways to do that - with a quick save to the cloud, or I could pick up where I left off by streaming from that device if I've got good bandwidth. All those things again, they already work, but we're going to be shipping updates that target those scenarios and make them as seamless as possible. We'll do a lot of that work before launch, but some of it we're going to keep iterating on all those kinds of things after launch, and I think there are many of those features that we will think of once customers have devices in their hands.

LY: And we fully expect that a lot of the updates that we will be making to the device, especially from a software standpoint is, once people have these in their hands, we're going to be hearing customer feedback and listening to what people are doing and what they would like to do. And just like Steam itself, we'll listen and we want to make customers happy.

GC: A lot of the time when we're designing stuff like Steam Deck, we feel like we're doing it somewhat in the dark, until the devices are actually being used by customers. And then we feel really relieved as we feel so much more intelligent because we have the information about what people are actually doing with the device and what they're saying they want, so to us, we get a little bit uncomfortable when we work on something like this for so long in an insular way, just inside the walls of our company, so it's actually kind of a relief and exciting for us to just push it out the door and have developers, journalists and soon Steam Beta testers using the device.

What games are you most looking forward to playing on Steam Deck yourselves?

GC: There's one answer, which is what are Valve people generally playing, and what has been good for testing, but if you're asking us more personally… I think there are a lot of games that fall into what people sometimes call a cosier kind of category, where they're slower, they tend to be indie games, they're not super high performance, but they're quirkier or story-driven… I've just been playing a bunch of those things that I don't tend to play when I sit down at a gaming rig or a big desktop machine. For myself, I find them really inviting to have a more intimate experience when I'm sitting on a sofa, driving it by myself on a smaller scale. But a lot of the people at Valve are not using the device in that way, and they're spending all their time instead on definitely games that push the envelope on performance far more than that.

LY: I actually do a little bit of both. Like the cosy playing, I'll sit on the couch at home and play Stardew Valley again, for the fourth time, and then I've also been playing through Jedi: Fallen Order. It runs great on the device, so it's been really fun to play that. Yeah, I think during the pandemic especially, it's been really great to have a way to play games that doesn't feel like you're sitting in the exact same place in your house for 18 hours everyday. So you can play computer games away from your computer, and that's been a huge relief for me specifically, but also for a lot of people on the team, it's been a side benefit of working on this project.

Last edited:

Artyoan

Arbiter
I will probably not purchase it. But if it leads to a revised Steam Controller version 2.0, I will be a happy man. That is one of the most underrated devices I've ever bought.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Valve and Collabora have been working on resolving the anti-cheat problem for a while now by contributing to the Linux kernel and adding kernel-space emulation for anti-cheat Windows kernel calls. Now that the foundation for understanding such calls is in place, we'll see the fruits of their labor soon.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/...indows-game-emulation-in-kernel-5-11#images-2
(These changes have since released in Linux 5.11)

I missed this. There was a followup from Valve saying the kernel changes weren't for anti-cheat: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2020/...pcoming-and-recent-linux-work-is-actually-for

I don't think we yet know what the anti-cheat solution is going to be. There's actually an EAC port for Linux, but it's not as robust as it is for Windows. The problem is the Windows version of EAC (and others) don't run in Wine/Proton.

Client-side anti-cheat is a tough nut to crack for an open-source system. The anti-cheat can't trust any part of the OS, since it could be modified to feed the anti-cheat software false information. On a closed system like Windows, you have an idea how parts of the OS should look, so you can verify the integrity of OS files and can be confident that lower-level cheats can't be injected into the closed-source code.

I can think of three possibilities:
1.) A hardware solution. I hate this idea and I really don't think Valve would go for it. It would lock certain games to their device, and they seem intent on making things as open as possible.
2.) Watered-down userland anti-cheats implemented on Linux. I don't think this is the solution either. Cheaters would flock to Linux and I could see developers telling the anti-cheat developers to pull Proton support to stop them.
3.) Closed-source kernel modules. Controversial to the Linux community, but I feel like this is the most likely solution. It gives anti-cheat software the best chance at success, though it still wouldn't be as robust as on Windows.

Ultimately, we need better server-side anti-cheats. Client-side anti-cheats are like antivirus. They're only good for catching known issues and low-hanging fruit with heuristics, so it essentially becomes a game of cat and mouse. Though I'm sure that's how the anti-cheat companies like it.

https://dev.epicgames.com/docs/serv.../AntiCheat/index.html#linuxwine/protonsupport

Looks like #2 it is. When you run EAC games in Wine/Proton, it's going to use the Linux port of EAC.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

j0eVl4j.jpg

Fuck CDPR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan

Arcane
I liked gameboys when I was a child. handhelds hold zero interest to me now as a grown ass adult. anyone else feel the same? Maybe it helps that I don't engage with mobile gaming...

Melcar

Arcane
I liked gameboys when I was a child. handhelds hold zero interest to me now as a grown ass adult. anyone else feel the same? Maybe it helps that I don't engage with mobile gaming...

Same, but I guess it has more to do with growing up and having bullshit grown-up responsibilities. When I do get time to myself and want to play some games I would rather just sit on my PC, since my PC is multipurpose and can do everything there. If I could (or wanted) to game during the day I would use some sort of mobile device.

Cromwell

Arcane
handhelds hold zero interest to me now as a grown ass adult.

As grown ass adult I love them, because they allow me to game without sitting somewhere specific and instead I can sit by my kids even if they dont need me right now but want me near.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom