Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX II - Jax is back

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lizards?

Udaller

Literate
It's also a bit disappointing that the aliens look like basic humanoids.

I'd rather they play it safe in alium appearances and make their culture distinct and interesting see Protoss or Tau. Call me a human supremacist, but so far most presentations of aliens in franchises like star wars, star trek or mass effect made me cringe.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think my biggest gripes with the original Elex despite liking the core game was the near-zero amount of dungeons and the distinct lack of effort put into locations worth exploring given how the game is so geographically focused on ruins. They're all boring and there's nothing in them. So when I see a post about a geographical location in the open world in marketing for Elex II, it actually makes me dehyped

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think my biggest gripes with the original Elex despite liking the core game was the near-zero amount of dungeons and the disgustingly low amount of effort put into exploration value given how the game is so geographically focused on ruins. They're all boring and there's nothing in them. So when I see a post about a geographical location in the open world in marketing for Elex II, it actually makes me dehyped

Dungeons are unrealistic, overused in RPGs and often boring. Why would anyone dig vast underground complex to conduct their opetations, when it is cheaper and more practical to construct facilities above ground? It only makes sense for a jail or tomb, but tombs don't have to be large, convoluted labirynths, just several chambers. And jails should have logical plan, which also makes for a poor maze.

Cunt Dickula!?

ELEX 3 will basically be Gothic 3 where the aliens enslaved human society.
Hear my words!

Codex Year of the Donut
I think my biggest gripes with the original Elex despite liking the core game was the near-zero amount of dungeons and the disgustingly low amount of effort put into exploration value given how the game is so geographically focused on ruins. They're all boring and there's nothing in them. So when I see a post about a geographical location in the open world in marketing for Elex II, it actually makes me dehyped

Dungeons are unrealistic, overused in RPGs and often boring. Why would anyone dig vast underground complex to conduct their opetations, when it is cheaper and more practical to construct facilities above ground? It only makes sense for a jail or tomb, but tombs don't have to be large, convoluted labirynths, just several chambers. And jails should have logical plan, which also makes for a poor maze.
realism is fake and gay

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Dungeons are unrealistic

so is not working a shit job, not having to listen to a cunt wife and not having to feed a bunch of idiot kids but i'm sort of glad those elements are blissfully absent in most rpgs

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
but ok yeah sure let's not implement interesting locations to explore in our game of jet packs spell casting and laser cannons because it would be 'unrealistic'

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Interesting locations don't have to be underground...

I think my biggest gripes with the original Elex despite liking the core game was the near-zero amount of dungeons and the distinct lack of effort put into locations worth exploring given how the game is so geographically focused on ruins. They're all boring and there's nothing in them. So when I see a post about a geographical location in the open world in marketing for Elex II, it actually makes me dehyped

a post containing the word dungeons isn't necessarily only about dungeons so even if we ackknowledge the dubious worth of your anti-dungeon fetish my point wasn't "zomg no dungeons", the point was that the open world was boring to explore. good dungeons comes to mind as an easy remedy but by all means let's have skyscrapers instead if you don't like going down stairs

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Rpgs used to be dungeon crawlers because of hardware limitations.
Newer games went for open world but kept the dungeon crawling sections in various forms.
A nice example of a relatively modern game that is a dungeon crawler is Arx Fatalis.
I would not call it inferior to open world games, despite being smaller.
It's smaller but filled with content instead of leaving you in a huge and mostly empty game world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom