Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

best game in doom franchise?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Casual Hero

Augur
Brutal Doom is very fun, but playing through the original maps in Brutal Doom doesn't feel quite right since they were designed for a specific set of mechanics.
Brutal Doom + Good maps made for it specifically = good times.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
giphy.gif

Udaller

Literate
Seeing how nuDoom spooks older gentlemen, the series seems to have retained some of its original character.
Personally I prefer doom 3, the original one where you had to decide between flashlight or weapon, fully realising its rather mediocre.

It's strange that this whole Doom 64 resurgence is quite recent, at least considering the series that's almost as old as me.

Also Doom Eternal, from what I read on the web (damn if I'll be thinking about that game's drivel "lore"), apparently proves that nuDooms are a direct sequel of Doom 1 -> 2 -> 64. Then again, it kind of implies that all custom WADs are canon as well :lol:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Doom 2's additional roster has been extremely helpful to the extreme amount of creativity that has been shown in decades of wad making, keeping Doom alive and well and giving it an unlimited amount of playtime. That's reason enough to vote for 2 over 1 despite some of the original maps being overgimmicky. Just the chaingunner alone multiplies by tenfold the amount of fun possibilities.

Silentstorm

Learned
Doom 64 since it actually felt like the real 2nd game(Doom 2 feels too much like an expansion pack, a big one mind you) with great looking enemies, secrets, great moody soundtrack and just plain fun still while giving a different but still familiar experience compared to Doom1/2.

But if we count everything, then DOOM 2 since it has so many mods and WADs out there, the content available is just staggering and thus, even with a lot of crap, there are some solid gems that could make Doom 2 the best...if we count mods.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm just replaying the first Doom mod-free after not having touched it for 30 odd years, and it's held up fantastically. Took me a short while to get past the jarring inability to look around, but once that hurdle was out the way I was having a blast.

It's frightening at how many FPS games have been released over the years, yet totally missed the mark trying to mimic what Doom does best, and that's give you genuine jump-scares. I'm having a better survival-horror experience on this than I've had with most survival horror games.

Ash

Arcane
Disagree. What Doom does best is core gameplay, especially combat and level design. Most FPS (or games in general, but most obvious with FPS) 2000s onwards chased realism and graphics, not giving a shit for gameplay nor even trying to mimic the solid standard set by Doom. Even Doom 3 abandoned all substance. Thankfully 1993-2000 we got many "Doom clones" that did follow those standards, often with their own twist or iterations, and what a good time it was.

Obviously not all FPS has to follow the Doom formula. System Shock (a little bit of everything), Half-Life (Realism, Scripting, platforming), Doom Eternal (Arcade Arena), Call of Crhulhu: DCotE (Survival Horror sort-of) are all worthwhile FPS alternatives. But Doom or the classic id software design formula to me still arguably stands as the best (Doom I + II, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Unreal etc).

Last edited:

curds

Magister
Doom 1, 2 and 64 are my three favourite first-person shooters, by far. Hard to pick the best out of those three.

Doom 1 for level design, Doom 2 for pretty much just as good level design with new weapons and foes, Doom 64 for great atmosphere and use of colour.

Arbiter

Scholar
Episode 1 of Doom is fantastic throughout, the level design sort of drops off a little in E2 and E3, but whatever. The overall quality level is still pretty high even with the shit maps here and there.

EP1 is an amazing showcase of Romero's skills. E1M1 was the last one to be designed, showcasing capabilities of the Doom engine to new players.

Arbiter

Scholar
I believe that Doom 1 is the best Doom game that I played, I like D1 levels much more than D2 ones, especially Romero's EP1. I might change my mind when I get to play Doom 64 which is now available on PC.

BTW, are there any Doom multiplayer servers that support spectators?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom