Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Say one GOOD thing about a SHIT game

Darth Canoli

Arcane
GT2 is quite alright if you get it on sale and it's on sale regularly (meaning almost free) and you get a decent tactical rpg without sjw crap, ugly 3D models and 30 minutes long loading screens.

To stay on topic:

You can skip Solasta's tutorial (with the help of a mod)
Solasta, character creation is decent (outside of the 3D paperdolls shenanigans)
And even better, you can refund Solasta...

That's 3 good things!

Last edited:

Shaki

Arbiter
I liked the approach to dialogues in DOS2, giving description of meaning behind responses you can choose, but letting you imagine the specific wording yourself. System like that, allows much better roleplay than the standard western RPG set of prewritten detailed responses, which usually consist of cartoonish evil villain, fag whiteknight paladin and couple of supposedly quirky and sarcastic "cool" answers that exist purely because writers want to show off how fun and interesting people they are irl.

It's a shame that the writing itself in the game was complete dogshit, which immediately makes people associate this whole approach with cringe, because I genuinely think if it was written by someone competent, in serious tone instead of 8yo humour parody style, it could spread to other RPGs, as at its core it's far superior than the current dialogue writing philosophy.

Smerlus

Educated
Space Siege had a nice idea with the cybernetic easy mode tying into the story. It wasn't done well but a nice idea.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Monomyth looks exactly like the games my dad played when he was a kid.

Can't handle the bacon

Torment: Tides of Numenuma is forgettable. It's easy to forget it even exists.
Funny, that was your first wish.
rating_brofist.png

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Thi4f - It killed the franchise for good, succesfully preventing additional rape-exploitation.

Fallout: New Vegas - The fan reception (and sales numbers) caused severe butthurt at Bethesda.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood - Lowered my expectations for future MachineGames, uhm, games.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Reminded me there are no "good guys" in the money-making business.

The Outer Worlds - Soundtrack is good, at times.

BioShock: Infinite - Made Ken Levine change his approach to games and (kindly) return to his LookingGlass roots.

Anthem, Fallout 76, Mass Effect: Andromeda* - Popcorn-worthy clusterfuck and drama generated following the release.

*(...and Cyberpunk 2077, of course)

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Final Fantasy XIII - The only good thing about this game was that Gamestop refunded me. Never touched a Final Fantasy game ever since. Looking back. That was a pretty smart decision.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Final Fantasy XIII - The only good thing about this game was that Gamestop refunded me. Never touched a Final Fantasy game ever since. Looking back. That was a pretty smart decision.
It has two of the hottest Final Fantasy girls. Serah Farron and Oerba Dia Vanille

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Fallout 3 allowed everyone with more than one braincell to see just how paid off game reviewers of the time were. Unfortunately 95% of Fallout 3's target audience did only have one braincell.

Codex Year of the Donut
vtmb is a good example of why less can be more and how RPGs benefit from showing only small parts of a city rather than making cities feel incredibly tiny
the trial in nwn2 was well written/designed
elex has a jetpack

sardonix

Educated
Mass Effect: If you use your imagination (especially in the planetary exploration minigame), and ignore the retarded romance plot, the game kinda feels like the epic Space opera RPG you always wanted to play.

Mass Effect 2: Nice graphics and some decent writing in the side quest, almost makes you forget how fucking terrible everything else is about this game.

Mass Effect 3: It has guns that shoot bullets.

Mass Effect Andromeda: Thanks to this train wreck of a game we got some funny videos on YouTube.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom