Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger

Falksi

Arcane
So Retro Games are booming with a huge boost from Covid confinement, and the one game which gets sucked off left right and center on most of the normie retro Facebook groups is Chrono Trigger.

I really enjoyed it as a kid, but this was before the days of me playing proper RPG's ala Baldur's Gate. I replayed it July 2019 and got bored around 2/3rds of the way in. But I'm prepared to give it one last go. And seeing as I'm posting this playthrough on a Retro group, I thought I'd chuck it in here for the laugh too.

So a nice steady session to get going. Had forgotten how great the intro to this game is. The various mini games and way the game dangles bait for you from the off is very nice indeed. I do find it a bit daft that Chrono decides to risk his life for a lass he's only just met, but blondes can have that effect. There's no doubt that the graphics, sound and incredibly lovecrafted details are absolutely top draw. You can really feel the care that's gone into this.

JOAULin.png

So Marle's gets kidnapped and the search is on. I always found it a bit odd how you're expected to go to the Cathedral to find her. I mean you can't really miss it coz there's not many other places to go, but "Hurry we need to find the real Queen!" is a bit ambiguous. Still, it's only a minor gripe and the Cathedral is soon finished with Yakra deaded.

Back home we fly, and after the legendary court scene we're thrown into jail to end the session. I've never done an "all-guilty" run before, so went for that option. Mwhhahahhaha.

0hsAQde.png

Now that battles are becoming more regular, the transition from exploration to combat really is starting to stand out as funky and fluid. The combat for me is OK, if a bit simplistic & auto-piloty, but it's early days. The pacing of the game up to yet has been great, with an almost perfect blend of exploration, combat, story and distractions. It's also incredible how intuitive the games menus are when compared to some more modern games.

wBWEfwn.png

And Frogs a bro int he? What a top lad. Honorable to the last. Oh and the 600 A.D. music......just LUUUUUSHHH. Absolute delicious.
Really enjoying it so far. These initial opening few hours really are masterpiece level stuff.

UA08B31.png

So all gets sorted out, and I'm thrown in a jail cell for fixing it all. Bunch of cunts.

To be continued.............

Man this game really did have the best music out of all the SNES jrpgs.

the one game which gets sucked off left right and center on most of the normie retro Facebook groups is Chrono Trigger.

Do Facebook groups dedicated to retro video games really qualify as "normie" though :philosoraptor:

Falksi

Arcane
Man this game really did have the best music out of all the SNES jrpgs.

the one game which gets sucked off left right and center on most of the normie retro Facebook groups is Chrono Trigger.

Do Facebook groups dedicated to retro video games really qualify as "normie" though :philosoraptor:

It's a good point, but I'd say there's been an influx of normies drowning them since Covid & the lockdowns started tbh.

They're definitely a different breed of normie who do have some form of refinement from the flat out COD loving, Micro Transaction guzzling, nigger noshing retard. But they're still nearer normie than Dexian, and wouldn't know what a Lilarcor was if it lopped their bollocks off and chatted about hamsters with them.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Chrono Trigger is one of those times when the normies are right, it's just good. So is Chrono Cross for that matter

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
This is a very condensed LP!

Still a fun game. I started replaying in January or February last year. It kind of came off the back of a craze that was sweeping YouTube at the time where the algorithm was directing lots of people to this video:

(and some other videos by the same account, like with music from one of the Donkey Kong games which I never played, but one of the most popular videos was recently removed for copyright violations)

Don't know if any of you guys remember this, but it's a kind of weird phenomenon. You can see what I mean in the comments of this and other videos. People contemplating their lives and shit, describing the video as a "checkpoint" in their lives. Reddit and Discord communities popped up around this, but I kinda lost track of it when the whole Covid thing hit. Maybe it's just a blip on the radar and not significant at all, maybe it's just millennials gonna millennial. But in retrospect I do think it points to the idea that I've propagated before, that lots of people were going into the 2020s in a state of mental crisis and confusion, anxious and insecure. And so people were already perfectly prepped for a global crisis to hijack their minds long-term. But that's very much OT for this thread. At least we can say that the people commenting under these videos were triggered into becoming all emotional and nostalgic by a relatively simple thing.

People in these comment sections were ascribing some kind of mysterious quality to their suddenly encountering these videos, but for me it was pretty mundane. It popped up while I was listening to loads of synthwave versions of video game soundtracks. All seems perfectly logical to me. Still it's a pretty remarkable thing. I only mention it because I was reminded of it by seeing Chrono Trigger mentioned. In the event I replayed up to the courtroom scene and then forgot all about it, was admittedly also focussed only on fucking Covid.

Falksi

Arcane
which emulator are you using to run this?

ZSNES

Although I started logging the playthough, and wiped the document by mistake. So it's the shortest lets play ever, as I can't be arsed to go back and replay it from the start again.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

ZSNES

Although I started logging the playthough, and wiped the document by mistake. So it's the shortest lets play ever, as I can't be arsed to go back and replay it from the start again.

thanks. Last time I tried to run Chrono Trigger I didn't get any sound, but maybe the issue was with my pc and not the emulator (can't remember which one it was)

Falksi

Arcane

ZSNES

thanks. Last time I tried to run Chrono Trigger I didn't get any sound, but maybe the issue was with my pc and not the emulator (can't remember which one it was)

ZSNES has always run it fine on several PC's which I've used over the years, so yeah you should be fine mate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom