Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lords of Xulima

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
You can only see your complete character sheet when you level up.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/296570/discussions/0/618459931318748387/
You're welcome.

OK, maybe I'm retarded or something.

EDIT:

It still took me a couple of minutes to figure out where the thing was in the menu. Bad UI design, aggravated by the fact they clearly put in a lot of effort into the UI.

Last edited:

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
When you open a treasure chest, you don’t have the option to not take the loot, whatever it is. There’s an X in the top right corner but it doesn’t do anything.

All the boss fights so far I won the same way. Use Thief’s ninja star to get a big bleed effect going, then just try to survive using healing items.

EDIT:

I want to clarify that the boss fight thing is not inherently bad. It's just what it is. Different party compositions will probably lead to different approaches, although I suspect the borderline mandatory use of items for both healing and status effects is a way designers mitigated the risk of some party compositions not being viable.

The thing about the treasure chest, that is a genuine problem that further cements my impression that the UI design in this game is problematic.

Having a tab button so poorly placed some people don't see it is one thing. Having buttons that don't work and tabs that don't have any content in them is another. Why would you keep the Elemental skills tab visible and clickable in the character sheet of a character that has no Elemental skills? It makes no sense. This is not good UI design, not by a long shot.

Last edited:

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The more I play this game, the more I like it. The combat is really, really good. In the beginning I did not fully understand how useful Wounds are because I was applying an old school Wizardry mentality to my combat strategy. Hit it hard with what will deplete those enemies the quickest. It's not that kind of game. Once I made peace with that and started exploring all the possibilities I have at my disposal, I began having a lot more fun.

Last edited:

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Just check nerd commando's YT funbuilding. Everything he says there, about difficulty to play as, builds etc is on point.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Finished the game.

LoXend.jpg

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
65 hours and 55 minutes according to the game save. My party was Gaulen, Paladin, Barbarian, Mage, Bard and Thief.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I liked it, but it's an uneven experience.

The combat is really good. My combat strategies kept evolving through the game and it never really let me just spam attack to win. Big praise to whomever created this combat system and balanced the enemies, etc. It's the main reason to play the game. The only bad thing I can say about the combat is the animations are too slow, even on 2x speed.

Everything else is a bit of a mixed bag.

Party creation is cool, lots of viable options, but character development pretty much forces specialization. Spread your points and you are screwed. The game structure is way too formulaic. The game sticks to it's premise and has no twist, so the endgame feels anticlimactic. The exploration based puzzles range from low key fun to very annoying. And the story is barely relevant to the gameplay at all.

Despite all this, the combat carries the game. It's that good.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I have finally got around to playing this, and have become hopelessly addicted. I spent 6 straight hours playing this, and the only reason I stopped is because my wife asked me to cook up some hamburgers lol. I normally don't like games with fixed/limited encounters, but it works very well here. It can be a lot of fun noting difficult encounters on your map, exploring elsewhere and leveling up, then revisiting your notes and seeing enemies dropping in difficulty level. Leveling up is always a lot of fun, and characters do really feel significantly more powerful each time they gain a level. It was very satisfying a few hours into the game to finally come back to the first town and kill those shady guards!

After a couple of false starts, I finally settled on:
Gaulen - Barbarian - Barbarian - Thief
--------- - Cleric - Mage - --------
for my party. I made it what I guess is "chapter 2" without much trouble on the intended difficulty level, so my party and builds seem okay so far.

Exploration is okay, but not amazing so far. There's a lot to find, but the nature of the game (fixed/limited encounters) means you have to follow a pretty linear path overall.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I have finally got around to playing this, and have become hopelessly addicted. I spent 6 straight hours playing this, and the only reason I stopped is because my wife asked me to cook up some hamburgers lol. I normally don't like games with fixed/limited encounters, but it works very well here. It can be a lot of fun noting difficult encounters on your map, exploring elsewhere and leveling up, then revisiting your notes and seeing enemies dropping in difficulty level. Leveling up is always a lot of fun, and characters do really feel significantly more powerful each time they gain a level. It was very satisfying a few hours into the game to finally come back to the first town and kill those shady guards!

for my party. I made it what I guess is "chapter 2" without much trouble on the intended difficulty level, so my party and builds seem okay so far.

Exploration is okay, but not amazing so far. There's a lot to find, but the nature of the game (fixed/limited encounters) means you have to follow a pretty linear path overall.

Maybe it's just me, but my barbarian was either a zero or a hero in late game fights. Having two in the party could prove problematic.

The paladin or a bard, which is a viable frontliner in this game, are safer picks.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

The first 6 hours are great; loading screens to get to a fight with Parkinson's goblins aside; then generic city 1, generic quests 1, prince 1, generic city 2, generic quests 2, prince 2, etc. routine starts to get to you, it could have been so much more.

There is some great dungeons and some good puzzles (the statues in the desert area comes to mind) and i really like the witch houses and fights but there's a missed opportunity here.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah it's a good game. I especially like the Sawyerist attribute system. There's probably an optimal distribution but I at least felt like most of the attributes were useful on everyone.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
They said they would began working on Xulima 2 once They Are Billions is fully released, I wonder if that's still the plan. A sequel could be amazing, now that they have the base gameplay working they could focus on adding more variety to enemies, quests and story.

Sinatar

Arbiter
They said they would began working on Xulima 2 once They Are Billions is fully released, I wonder if that's still the plan. A sequel could be amazing, now that they have the base gameplay working they could focus on adding more variety to enemies, quests and story.

They are Billions sold like 50 times more copies then Xulima, I imagine they'll do the thing that actually pays the bills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom