Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

I think I actually used this mod, yeah. At least I used the one that has ligth textures that visible even better then original ones.
Where could I see which mods I used - I completely forgot al this shit, man...

Gargaune

Magister
Where could I see which mods I used - I completely forgot al this shit, man...
Isn't there a downloads history on the Nexus? Or you can try loading an old save and the game will bitch about missing plugins, but that won't cover texture packs.

Fallout 4 has this Uncanny Valley feeling all the time, where you think no one could intentionally write dialogue and quests this dumb, but they do...

Remember that guy who you had to rescue off some skyscraper from supermutants, because he went there to teach them about Shakespeare? Yeah...

Bliblablubb

Arcane
longass video
Oh no, not that guy again.
Not only are his videos boring long slogs, he fails at comprehension, reading, or even checking facts on a wiki. Or is just plain wrong for the sake of ranting.
He is the Fox News of videogaming. :hahano:

I remember watching bits of his Fallout 4 video, expecting some quality rants, because that game has sooo much material, but oh dear..
He already starts with claiming CHA being the most important stat because of speech checks, later gets riled up over Kellogg calling his (then) boss "old man" while Shaun was still a babbie, because nobody else has ever used that term to refer to his boss right? He completely ignores the whole "synths are humanity 2.0 but synths aren't human" clusterfuck and then claims the Institute blew up the united commonwealth on purpose. While sitting beside the log stating it was an accident when they switched on an old reactor underneath.

Hard pass. :obviously:

Technomancer

Liturgist
the Institute blew up the united commonwealth on purpose. While sitting beside the log stating it was an accident when they switched on an old reactor underneath.
I mean the Institute is still fucked up, their "accidents" always end up with killing people. Like when they send untested synth who went apeshit on barflies in Diamond city or FEV fuck up. Even if they are not actively malicious they give zero fucks about lives of topsiders and disregard safety protocols as a concept.

eli

Learned
Yeah, all of the Fallout 4 factions seem pretty shit to me.
Either annoying or stupid.
The last decent Fallout game was New Vegas, and that's just sad because the alternative is Fallout 3.
codex; the only site where u shit on a game in a 262 thread page just to show how much u hate it.

Lhynn

Arcane
1627022683063.png

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Aside from the things like "you're too stupid to understand so I won't bother explaining it" and the classic ghoul-kid-in-a-fridge-for-200-years Fallout 4 is better than 3 from a writing standpoint. They're both dogshit but 3 is worse in just about every way I can think of apart from being ever so slightly less dumbed down RPG mechanics-wise, and even then 3 is an astronomical step down from 2. At least 4 has fun looter shooter retard gameplay, 3 doesn't even have that. I can't think of a single reason to play 3 in 2021 when it has been obsoleted by every Fallout game that came after it and was always worse than the games that came before it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have completed both Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3 twice.
I can't even get halfway through the story mode in Fallout 4
Aside from the things like "you're too stupid to understand so I won't bother explaining it" and the classic ghoul-kid-in-a-fridge-for-200-years Fallout 4 is better than 3 from a writing standpoint. They're both dogshit but 3 is worse in just about every way I can think of apart from being ever so slightly less dumbed down RPG mechanics-wise, and even then 3 is an astronomical step down from 2. At least 4 has fun looter shooter retard gameplay, 3 doesn't even have that. I can't think of a single reason to play 3 in 2021 when it has been obsoleted by every Fallout game that came after it and was always worse than the games that came before it.
Gonna guess he played Fallout 3 twice ... 12 years ago.

That's an interesting question: what's worse, Fallout 3 or Fallout 4?

While neither is very good, obviously, I would say Fallout 3 is significantly better than Fallout 4 for the following reasons:

1. No "daily grind" quests/gameplay: Quests, shitty as they mostly were, were hard coded, so at least it felt like you were making progress. In F4, you keep getting these "free settlement A" or "defend village B" or whatever quests without end that mean absolutely nothing. You just go somewhere on the map, kill some enemies, and come back for an XP reward. Sometimes these even repeat, so it seems they are just some sort of shallow procedural bullshit. Once I saw them start to repeat, I just ignored the rest of them, and it had zero effect on the game, as far as I can tell.

2. Actual dialogue: F3's dialogue might have been not very good, but at least it felt like RPG dialogue. In F4, that dialogue wheel abomination killed whatever shreds of dignity the game had left. It felt especially retarded at what were supposed to be dramatic and emotional moments. For example, when you discuss your dead wife/husband and the dialogue wheel gives you these short speech summaries like "wife ded" or "kid lost" or something along those lines. Utter cringe.

3. Better rpg system: self explanatory.

4. Slightly less cringy writing: Obviously F3 is no champion of good writing/lore, what with Little Lamp and Republic of Dave and other bullshit it had, but Fallout 4 took the cringe to the next level. Almost everything in it is cringy, writing wise. F3 at least had some percentage of content that felt serious, in F4 this is very rare.

5. Circus looking world: F3 felt like a desolate wasteland. F4 world feels like a circus set within a desolate wasteland. Everything is too shiny and colorful and weird.

F4 did have somewhat better combat, but that's about it, and so F3 > F4.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They are both just as dumb and bad as eachother but Fallout 4 at least gets points for originality with the Institute/Minutemen/Railroad, however poorly executed.

Fallout 3 on the other hand decides to rehash every plot beat and every major faction from Fallout 1&2 on the opposite coast where it makes no sense for them to be because Bethesda wanted to milk that Fallout iconography. 3 is a soft reboot made with all of those things included because Bethesda never expected anyone to give a shit about yucky old 2D isometric games once their latest and greatest iteration of the series came out.

>Hey, remember the BoS? How they were barely present during Fallout 2 and small scale compared to the current events? Well here, have them back with their numbers multiplied by 10 because we needed a 'good' faction.
>Hey, remember the Enclave? How they were totally annihilated during Fallout 2 and only small contingents of them remain? Well here, have them back with their numbers multiplied by 10 because we needed a 'bad' faction.
>Remember Super Mutants? Those guys who were mutated by FEV from the top secret West Tek and Mariposa facilities? They were lead by the Master and his Lieutenant in Fallout 1. Who are they lead by in 3 and what are their motivations for kidnapping people and taking them to turn them into super mutants in their vault which inexplicably also has FEV? Nobody. The only smart super mutant around is locked in a cell because he's different. There is no intelligent mind leading them, these cannibalistic barbarian ogre people kidnap people and turn them into more mutants because they just do ok cool. We needed an ogre bullet sponge faction. Did I mention that a town full of children with one kid with a gun is able to hold off a horde of these things?
>Remember Radscorpions and Deathclaws? You know, from Fallout! Have them on the east coast because that makes sense.
>Remember bottle caps? That currency that was backed by the water merchants of the hub in Fallout and phased out by the time of Fallout 2? Well guess what, we have bottle caps on the east coast too and they're backed by literally nothing.
>Remember when the vault needed purified drinking water in Fallout? Well that's the basis of our whole plot, the wasteland needs purified drinking water!
>Remember when the overseer said you were a hero and you had to leave, well guess what, you're that here too!
>Remember the GECK? You know, that macguffin from Fallout 2. Go find a GECK to save the wasteland!
>Remember Harold? That old mutie that settled down in Gecko? Well he's inexplicably walked across the continent and turned into a tree for our game.

It's literally the most lazy rehashed garbage ever put into a video game, Fallout 4 isn't great but at least they put a pen to paper at some point during its storyboarding unlike 3 which was probably just copypasted from the synopses for Fallout 1 & 2 with some words changed.

Also Fallout 3's core gameplay is fucking dire and 4 improves on it so much it's unreal. There is literally no reason and never will be a reason to play 3 over 4 if you're looking for dumb low IQ looter shooter. If you're looking for a good Fallout game then 3 is the absolute bottom of the barrel along with Brotherhood of Steel, too. If for some reason you like Fallout 3's gameplay then New Vegas does it better anyway with iron sights, weapon mods, ammo types, actual unique weapons and armor, and just so happens to also be the best attempt at a Fallout game in the modern 3D era. I don't know why you would want to play 3 with its dumbed down RPG systems and shit combat just because the RPG systems are less dumbed down than 4. If you wanted a good RPG why the hell would you play 3 to begin with. Fallout 3 is a painfully boring game where you can get 100 in every skill before level 30 but everything level scales to you so you're shooting bullet sponges for the last third of it.

3 serves no purpose. It is a game for nobody. It doesn't do anything better than any other given game in its own series. The only thing stopping it from being absolutely irredeemable shit is that its existence let New Vegas exist.

Last edited:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
If you're looking for a good Fallout game then 3 is the absolute bottom of the barrel along with Brotherhood of Steel

I would still rate FOBOS over Fallout 3. Because it is shorter it does not get as annoying.
And how stupid a lot of it was, it at least still had a more original story (Super Mutants looking for a cure for sterility).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
So it's ten dolla for the GOTY edition, is it worth a buy?
You can get your money's worth of enjoyment out of it. If people refuse to buy it on principle, I understand, but sometimes it's fun to just wander around shooting bad guys. Ignoring most quests is the way to go.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

The question is not 'is it worth the money?' The question is 'is it worth your time?'

Although even though the questions are different, the answer is the same- fuck no. You'll waste a couple of hours (at least) modding the shit out of it, play for a few hours (optimistically) and then realise the utter futility of playing this humdrum, shell of a game and uninstall. There's stuff to do, but it's all so pointless and unfulfilling why would you bother?

xuerebx

Erudite

If you use the Fallout 4 Enhanced Edition modlist - I'd say yes if you enjoy sandbox games (you need to have all the DLCs though). Managed to rake in 80 hours before dropping it and the stats/skills DO matter, thanks to the underlying Horizon mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom