Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gandalf

Arbiter

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Afghanistan ´11 is pretty decent counter-insurgency simulator, though it is a pretty specific game that might not be for everybody, watch some videos first if it looks like something you would like. Personaly I enjoyed it a lot, along with the Royal Marines DLC. Another great counter-insurgency simulator is Rebel Inc: Escalation.

IMO the best "sand people" war games are Warfare (US vs Saudi Arabia) and Syrian Warfare (same engine, diferent devs, pro-Assad forces vs al-Nusra and ISIS, trigger warning for westerners though, the game is full of "Russian dissinformation"). Both are a bit rough around the edges, but especially Syrian Warfare was some realy amazing battles with everything from technicals to T90s and thermobaric rocket launchers, I recommend all the DLCs too. Combat Mission: Shock Force 1 and 2 are OK, but again might be not for everybody. Honorable mention goes to 9th Company: Roots of Terror (a ruskie game set in 1980s Afghanistan made to accompany a cool ruskie movie), it is VERY rough around the edges (as in almost unplayable due to bugs), but has some cool concepts and great atmosphere. If you want Soviets vs Mujahideen action, I can recommend Combat Mission Afghanistan.

If you want to play terrorists, I guess the closest thing is the GLA campaing in C&C: Generals.

Full Spectrum Warrior (I prefer the first one to the second) is an older, but respectable raghead shooting tactical game. Black Powder, Red Earth is pretty great yet simple raghead shooting TBS game as well.

Insurgency is a sand people themed tacticool MP shooter, that might as well be of interest to you.

Last edited:
Arma 3. There are plenty of scenarios available, all the gear, any period you wish, any possible role to play, any time of day. Single-player, Multi-player, Co-operative. 1st person, 3rd person, tactical view, real-time strategy, Zeus (sort of like real-time strategy but without any constraints). Nice graphics, ajdustable levels of realism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom