Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy 15 was a mediocre disappointment.

Machocruz

Arcane
The FF wing of SE cannot make an decent action system to save their life. They should just steal from Tales of, Ys, or SE's own Trials of Mana.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I agree that the action mechanics in modern FFs suck, but Tales Of games/systems suck ass also. Fucking hate Tales shit.

EDIT: Oh, except 2d Tales games, those are good. I prefer the horizontal side-view combat in those.

Machocruz

Arcane
I've only played Phantasia and Destiny. I assumed there would have been improvements since then. I hate the character designs in the 3D games.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I've only played Phantasia and Destiny. I assumed there would have been improvements since then. I hate the character designs in the 3D games.

IMO the combat devolved into mindless button mashing with shitty lock-on mechanics in the 3d tales games, but mind u i have only briefly played two of the 3d Tales games out of curiosity; the Vesperia one which I torrented to try out when it came on PC because all of the weebs were c00ming on themselves about it (uninstalled it like 5 hours in), and about 7 hours' worth of playtime on one of the PS3 exclusive ones in order to test out RPCS3 emulator, think it was Berseria or something like that, don't even remember the title.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I am playing FF15. My first JRPG.

These sidequests are something else. There are literally no words to describe the depths with which I loathe this game's sidequest designers.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
15 was better than 13. Neither were good, tho.

I have changed my mind. I like FF15 now. Gameplay was sometimes below-average but I liked the story, characters, world, music and overall experience. Too bad the director quit, I think there was a lot of potential here if it could have been polished and iterated on for a follow-up in the same style.

FF16 seems to be like it's going for a bit of The Witcher 3, at least to my ignorant eye. Well, we'll see once it's out. Hope it's good!

Paul_cz

Arcane
Despite my post above, I am sadomasochistically enjoying FF15. I have 55 hours in it and just entered chapter 10. It has a beautiful world, decently enjoyable characters, good atmosphere and vibe. I just hate how...abominably lazy the sidequests are and how fucking annoying some of the dungeons are (just did Costlemark and Crestholm today...hated both).

Perkel

Arcane
Final Fantasy has been a complete shitshow since 13. Why is this news?

FF13

-------------

FF13 issue was that for some fucking reason they chopped up story into chapters and then they completely jumbled them up instead of showing them linearly. So for literally 60% of game you don't know what the fuck is happening because initial FalCie event wasn't shown until late into game which creates foundation for the story and by the time you see it you can't really put anything together since so many characters went in and away into story without any reason that you can't put things together anymore as characters introduced 20 hours ago without any context now are important or something.

If you actually put game linearly like some YT vids did it was actually pretty good FF game story wise. Even some of the worst characters like Sarah and Gaylord become compelling because at least you understand what the fuck is going on and what motivates those people.

Unfortunately whole game was basically one big corridor until you arrive at Pulse, normally it wouldn't be as bad because all FF games were essentially corridors but they actually included map as if you couldn't find road for some reason. Moreover there was no content outside of combat and occasional cutscene.

Once you got to Pulse game becomes quite good, combat system starts to shine and there are other things to do outside of main story, secrets to find etc.

Overall there is still something to salvage as long as you think of game in linear fashion.

-----------------

FF15

All has been said about FF15. They wanted to make adventure story with close knit friends ended up as head and shoulders feature film called brockeback mountain 2.

All the most important parts of game are literally not in game and the main part of game aka Cadis and that 5 second chick love is literally so badly handled that they had to make separate FMV like dozens of hours later so that you could give shit at all.

I remember watching this pretty FMV being completely baffled at stupidity of it.

It is basically Early Access FF15. Unfinished game from developement hell where 5 different directors wanted each different thing from it. 1 directors wanted love story, 2nd director wanted head and shoulders ad, 3rd one scrapped 1st one idea leaving only bits of it in game and focused on making open world, 4th other wanted CARS WE WANT CARS !, so they redid open world with vast open nothings 5th one came and saw bullshit bullshit that was made, cut until saw some resemblence to game and released it as is.

Oh and don't forget movie you had to watch to even give a shit about main characters, it was not included with game in first place and was sold separately or was part of deluxe edition. It was later changed to be included but damage was done already.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
After Final Fantasy Versus 13 -----> To being rebranded as XV. There is still an important question to ask. And that question is : How the hell does Tetsuya Nomura still have a job? Not just at Square but in the game industry as a whole.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
FF13 issue was that for some fucking reason they chopped up story into chapters and then they completely jumbled them up instead of showing them linearly.

I played about 60% thru FF13, basically made it to the "open area" chapter as it was the one thing that kept me going and then when I realized the game was... still shit... I dropped it there.

For me the biggest failing in FF13 are the horrible characters, the horrible character design, the bad aesthetic, the bad combat, but most of all: the terribly written and incoherent story and story-telling. It is just a fucking chore to play through with no reprieve from any quarter and nothing to distract you from the terribleness.

All that said I actually don't see the linearity to be that bad, it's mostly the same as FF10 the difference is FF10 had good characters, better story, WAY better combat (actually GREAT combat), better art, better world, better aesthetic, you wanted to keep going through the linear corridors in FF10 to reach the next fight, the next cutscene. That's the difference.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
FF10 had good characters, better story, WAY better combat (actually GREAT combat), better art, better world, better aesthetic, you wanted to keep going through the linear corridors in FF10 to reach the next fight, the next cutscene.
Based and true.
I'll even go to the length of saying FFX is one of the best blobbers of all time.

Edit : I can see my post is too avant-gardiste.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
How the hell does Tetsuya Nomura still have a job?

? Nomura lied down whole story of FF13V which became FF15 and moved to KH3. Which if you just read story is great. But then Tabata took over once it became FF15 and they completely butchered everything.

Nomura story was simple. 2 kingdoms duking it out and between that love story of prince and princess of those kingdoms all in modern world souse.

In the end due to Tabata you got one kingdom anihilating other one instantly and gay trip ? And then they remembered original story and somehow doing nothing they wanted you to care about it or something.

Tabata is known hack i mean there is litearlly nothing here that speaks quality and then if you look into stories of those games... I played 3rd birthday which is supposed to be official sequel to parasite eve and this game was about wait for it... murder on wedding night starting mass extinction of world and you whole game piece puzzles from amnesiac bride...

unknown.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
How the hell does Tetsuya Nomura still have a job?
? Nomura lied down whole story of FF13V which became FF15 and moved to KH3. Which if you just read story is great. But then Tabata took over once it became FF15 and they completely butchered everything.

Nomura story was simple. 2 kingdoms duking it out and between that love story of prince and princess of those kingdoms all in modern world souse.

In the end due to Tabata you got one kingdom anihilating other one instantly and gay trip ? And then they remembered original story and somehow doing nothing they wanted you to care about it or something.
Nomura left his position as director of FFXV in September 2014, two years and two months before the game was finally released. At his departure, the game had already been in development hell for several years, keeping in mind that FFXIII suffered extensive delays and that FFXV began development as its adjunct FFXIII Versus, an action RPG. Granted, the game would have been far better served if all previous work had been scrapped and development had started anew, but from Squaresoft's perspective this would have required an unacceptable expenditure and timeframe, so instead they relied on Tabata to create a functional game in two years building from the existing engine and assets.

FFXVJune224NewArt610.jpg
FFXV's party as of 2014.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I dunno, I thought the game was pretty good and I enjoyed it the whole way through. I did think the way they handled "postgame" content was a little weird, in that u have to load an old save rather than continue after the game was won. Had the game just continued and Noctis achieved what he set out to do and there was actual content for the group *after* that, it would have been awesome. Instead you load up an older save and have to do all that optional stuff at like the middle of the story. Didn't like that so I didn't do much of the optional stuff.

All in all though, I enjoyed it and thought it was fun enough. Not my favorite game ever but pretty dang good for my tastes. That said I'd rather play a JDRPG or something like that now, I'm much more into DRPGs in general at the moment. Anyway, sorry to hear you guys didn't care for it much, but we all have different expectations and what not. Cheers fellas. :)

Perkel

Arcane
Nomura was kicked out from project by start of 2013 not 2014.

Secondly "developement hell" is misnomer in this case. FF13 was actual development hell and SE didn't want to fund any production of FF13V before FF13 was finished. FF13 was finished in 2009 and it was basically corridor game with 0 cities or npcs other than some small cast this was also the time when Square Enix was headed by Wada and he openly stated they didn't want to make big RPGs anymore and will focus more on bullshit after FF13 which probably severely hurt FF13V production.

And we know for true that tools that were used to make FF13 were dogshit and FF13 barely was made on them despite not featuring anything complex and it is known that they basically couldn't make game on old consoles which is why developement moved to new consoles.

Nomura is shit character designer though. You can blame shitty gays on him.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
To be fair, I don't think i'd play it again. But as something different from my usual hardcore CRPGs, as a one-off spin thru, it was pretty good to me. Your mileage of course may vary. :)

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
It is just a fucking chore to play through with no reprieve from any quarter and nothing to distract you from the terribleness.

Spot on. Skill system and equipment management is usually the baseline of stuff to do except fighting in a rpg, but the progression in FFXIII is ultra shallow, and it literally gets locked if you do too much of it.

All that said I actually don't see the linearity to be that bad, it's mostly the same as FF10 the difference is FF10 had good characters, better story, WAY better combat (actually GREAT combat), better art, better world, better aesthetic, you wanted to keep going through the linear corridors in FF10 to reach the next fight, the next cutscene. That's the difference.

I think abundance of minigames, actual NPCs to talk to with rudimentary side quests, slightly more complex dungeon layouts with a discernible difference between being on a road, a plain, or inside of a dungeon, and the occassional puzzles in the temples help the game greatly aswell to avoid the feeling of having no distraction from combat.
That said the FFX combat and skill systems are so fun the game would probably still work if you cut all of the fancy stuff out and made it a literal corridor with combat in it like FFXIII.

Zeriel

Arcane
Wasn't that what everyone expected before release? FF is a dead franchise that just keeps getting new entries based on inertia. And said new titles are seen more as tech engine demos than games that are going to be fun.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wasn't that what everyone expected before release? FF is a dead franchise that just keeps getting new entries based on inertia. And said new titles are seen more as tech engine demos than games that are going to be fun.

Square Enix is masterfull at aligning the circumstances to build your faith in that the next game is going to be the one to break the cycle and be good again, just to disappoint you twice as hard. Nefariously they inspire confidence through good spinoff games (World of Final Fantasy, Theathrythm, 4 Heroes of Light etc...), strong secondary game lines (Bravely Default, now they are reviving SaGa), good marketing (the FFXV Platinum demo literally had a different and much better feel than the final game, it was very similar to Kingdom Hearts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PojYosSUhmQ) and staff changes before every game to fuel eternal discussions who exactly is the hack to ruin Square Enix.
But then they brutally crush your hopes and dreams to get a game as good as golden age Square, over and over again, until you realise that all of them were the hacks all along.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom