Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unskippable games for each of the Retro consoles

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Well, yeah, I guess you must have a pretty retarded opinion if you think the entire generation was just SM64, which is all you would know since you're a Nintentard. And anyway, no one cares about ‘importance’, it's just about good games. Nintendo games get all the attention because they're designed to be iconic franchises that will be marketed directly into your brain forever (even if they are boring), whereas the other consoles and PCs were more about just having games of any kind. Guess which console had Final Fantasy and Silent Hill and everything else? Meanwhile the N64 only has the typical Nintendo stuff and the charming but not-really-that-great Rareware games.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
NES Super Mario bros 3,Ducktales,Punch Out
SNES Super Mario World,Zelda A Link to the Past,Chrono Trigger,FF6,
Gameboy Gargoyle's Quest,Zelda Link's Awakening,Super Mario Land 2
Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic 2,Streets of Rage 2,Shining Force 2

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
[...]

I once played a super obscure jRPG that actually tried to be like the PC wRPG's of the time (with the PC even needing rope to climb down cliffs), but I can't remember the name now...

[...]

Could it be Dark Law: Meaning of Death? A non-linear game featuring character creation which starts with some farming chores.

Holy shit,talk about obscure snes rpgs,never heard of this one.I will play it when I finish my current backlog around 2025

Machocruz

Arcane
NES
Blaster Master - Only the NES version will do, because I don't like the visual/presentation changes in the Zero remake
Legacy of the Wizard
Castlevania 1, 3 (2 has some of the best music compositions in the series though)
Contra - NES original is still the quintessential Contra
Lifeforce
Mega Man 2, 3
Shadowgate

SMS:
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

MSX:
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Genesis
Sonic 1-3
Strider -The best way to play though is the arcade version with revision 2 soundtrack.
Shinobi 3
Road Rash 1-3
Gunstar Heroes
Flashback

SNES
Super Metroid
Cybernator
Zombies Ate My Neighbors - Genesis version qualifies too. Slight edge to SNES for better visuals.
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Demon's Crest

TG-16/PC Engine/CD
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Ys Book 1 & 2 - It's probably just the music, but whatever

PS1
Vagrant Story
Silent Hill
Resident Evil 2 - Remake is not a substitution, it's pretty much a different game
Final Fantasy Tactics
Metal Gear Solid 1
Symphony of the Night
Street Fighter Alpha 1-3
Tekken 2 & 3

N64
Perfect Dark
Ocarina of Time

Geeked About Back Then, But Not Sure About Now: Syphon Filter, Madden 93, Vandal Hearts, Clash at Demonhead, Ogre Battle, Shadowrun (Genesis), Phantasy Star 1-4

Beans00

Augur
NES
all mario games
metroid
Mega man games(1-6 weren't as good imo)

Snes
All mario games
Super metroid
Link to the past
All mega man games (although x3 isn't very good IMO)
DKC 1-2 (didn't like the 3rd)
Demons crest

Genesis(barely had any games for this and most were crappy movie games like last action hero or rambo 3)
sonic 2

Ps1- (didn't like this console much and early 3d didn't age well at all)
final fantasy tactics
MGS if you're in the mood for some melodrama with your stealth

n64 (I never owned or really played mario 64, maybe did the first level at a friends house)
Ocarina & majora - I don't like zelda quite as much as some people but these were solid enough games.

I only recommend games I actually owned or played a good amount of. I'm sure there are other good games I missed.

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
NES: Super Mario Bros. 1 for its impact on gaming history, still a solid game and should be played by everyone who actually gives any fucks about games at least once in their life. You can obviously argue that it's more worth to play SMB3 or even SMW on the SNES but SMB1 itself is far more important to all of video games than either of those two.

SNES: Super Metroid, because it's Super Metroid. It perfected the formula that the first Metroid laid out for it after the hiccup of Metroid 2 (which I still really love, but it is inarguably much more linear) and no Metroid game since has managed to recapture its magic. Shadowrun on the SNES was also really cool but it's kind of a waste because it would have been a much better fit for PC with KB&M controls.

N64: Bomberman 64, this game has really never gotten the attention it deserves imo. It's a collecting "platformer" which is more like a real-time puzzle action game in the single player. There's a layer of strategy to it that you don't really get with other 3D "platformer" type games of the time (Banjo & Kazooie, Super Mario 64, Spyro, Crash, etc.) and not being able to jump being a deliberate design decision that they worked hard to implement puzzles and challenges around makes it a really good time for the most part. If anything I think Bomberman Hero that came after it is overrated and was a huge decline to a more standard and generic 3D platformer style. It's not really "Bomberman" in the traditional sense but prior to this there was already literally almost 30 traditional Bomberman games so who cares really, apart from the real retarded sperg purists that actually get upset that Bomberman 64 isn't the 31st rehash of the same game. If there was one series that needed to deviate from its standard formula then Bomberman at the time was definitely it.

PS1: I had a PS1 but I really do not have much to say about its titles that you can't find anywhere else to be honest. It had a lot of ports of PC games that are better played on PC, and it had a lot of JRPGs which I am not particularly interested in. I played some decent other games on it like Spyro, Crash or even Jersey Devil but they're all pretty standard games overall and while I'm sure there is a less generic and more interesting selection among the tons of titles it has I haven't personally experienced it for myself. I guess Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is a good one but I also played the DS Castlevania games which are pretty much as good, and I still prefer Super Metroid.

The TMNT game (not the arcade style one) for NES is underrated, instead of lives you just have the four turtles and if one dies you have to rescue him. Game over if all four are gone. Each one has their own playstyle, game has an RPG-esque overworld with cool levels, many Castlevania aspects like sub weapons such as boomerangs, you get to drive the damn turtlemobile around, etc. it's epic.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Gameboy: James Bond 007 (for real. Really cool action-adventure game).
How did you even solve the first level? I kept getting ambushed by ninjas and tried to play backgammon but failed hard.

Citizen

GameCube: Super Mario Sunshine, The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime 1-2, The Twilight Princess

Dreamcast: Jet Set Radio, Rayman 2 (not DC exclusive, but it has the superior version), Soul Reaver (same)

PS2: Okami, God Hand, Devil May Cry, Snake Eater

Wii: MadWorld, RedSteel 2, Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, Xenoblade Chronicles

Wii U: Bayonetta 1-2, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Falksi

Arcane
NES
all mario games
metroid
Mega man games(1-6 weren't as good imo)

Snes
All mario games
Super metroid
Link to the past
All mega man games (although x3 isn't very good IMO)
DKC 1-2 (didn't like the 3rd)
Demons crest

Genesis(barely had any games for this and most were crappy movie games like last action hero or rambo 3)
sonic 2

Ps1- (didn't like this console much and early 3d didn't age well at all)
final fantasy tactics
MGS if you're in the mood for some melodrama with your stealth

n64 (I never owned or really played mario 64, maybe did the first level at a friends house)
Ocarina & majora - I don't like zelda quite as much as some people but these were solid enough games.

I only recommend games I actually owned or played a good amount of. I'm sure there are other good games I missed.

So I'm assuming you're not that impressed by my recommendations old Bean?......

v2mEtz6.png

:lol:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Jason Liang

Arcane
NES-
Ninja Gaiden 2 - I'm going to restrain myself from listing dozens of platformers, but this one is a true masterpiece of the genre.
The Legend of Zelda - obviously
River City Ransom - often considered the best game published for NES, or just behind Zelda 1. This was Yakuza in 1989.
Crystalis - want a game that takes you on a fantastic journey? This is it.
Jackal - The reason that the NES comes with two controllers. Every element works in synch to deliver a perfect challenge for 2 players.

Genesis-
Shadowrun - Rockstar ought to cut Blue Sky Software a fat royalty check for the game that inspired them to make GTA.

Battletech - Vs all the armies of the Inner Sphere, my bid is... 1 lone Mad Cat. This is Jackal, but with a Mad Cat.
Phantasy Star IV - The quintessential jrpg
Ecco the Dolphin - Beautiful and sui generis, with a real "sink or swim" difficulty.
Shinobi 3: Return of the Master - the other ninja platformer masterpiece
Steel Empire - Of all the shmups I've ever played, this one stands out for letting you choose between two very different vehicles, for the steampunk aesthetics, and for having levels of perfect length and difficulty.
Master of Monsters - This Genesis exclusive, which inspired Battle for Wesnoth, is a must for any tactics game afficianado.

MAME/ Arcade-
Not going to list the classics like Gauntlet and Street Fighter 2, ok?

Gain Ground - like a tactical shmup
Bomberman World
Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara

Boogie Wings
King of Fighters XIII - Still SNK's magnum opus

Neo Geo-

The Last Blade/ The Last Blade 2
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Windjammers
The Super Spy
Crossed Swords

Gameboy/ DS-
Final Fantasy Legend 1 - If you thought FF8 was SquareSoft on crack...
Final Fantasy Legend 3
Link's Awakening
Yugioh World Championship 2008

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom